U.S. food banks raise alarm as drought dents government supplies

wyldbill wrote:

The wealthy in America should be ashamed of themselves. While they ponder how big their next yatcht is going to be, or how much money they should spend on Christmas, 50 Million people are one meal away from starvation. Never in all my years have I ever seen such a disgraceful situation.

Nov 21, 2012 6:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

Stupid hillybilly hick farmers, who needs them! :)

Nov 21, 2012 9:21am EST  --  Report as abuse
bobber1956 wrote:

“Never in all my years have I ever seen such a disgraceful situation.” Wait until January when all the wealthy Americans move out of the country WITH THEIR MONEY because they are NOT going to pay obama’s tax bill. obama built that, and all the idiots that voted for him. Enjoy your chains.

Nov 21, 2012 9:28am EST  --  Report as abuse
BillDexter wrote:

I would support my food pantry if they screened the patrons.
My personal observation which spans several local food pantries over many years is that the overwhelming majority of the people who go there are really just freeing up their money for smokes, scratch tickets and booze. Each time, my mild and soft spoken observation was met with thee most virulent, retching hatred. This follows the welfare and S.S. Disability model. In all these cases, the fraud is not just overlooked, but it is apparently welcomed by the ‘advocates’ of the giveaway as though it somehow strengthens their position.

Nov 21, 2012 11:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
tiger628 wrote:

Variations of this story appear every holiday season, seldom if ever at other times. Why?

Nov 21, 2012 11:40am EST  --  Report as abuse
Scanner wrote:

Well,I for one,have come to the decision that I will let friends and family know now that any gifts/foods they are wanting to send me and my family will be given to the local Access food bank. And any gifts that were going their way will be made as a donation, in their name.

I agree, its a disgrace! Thanksgiving is marred by Black Friday, now Blue Thurs.! and the consumerism with Christmas is completely out of hand.
No matter what junk crap you want to give for Christmas as gifts will fill the belly of someone who is down and out, and can really appreciate it. The whole concept is laden with corporate greed and the all mighty dollar, which when spent lasts about 6 months to a year, if you are lucky, and it won’t make your family love you more if you buy the newest hottest piece that everybody else “wants”, so they can be little sheep and followers. Good luck to the rest of you and hope your Holidays are filled with family memories that can last a lifetime.

Nov 21, 2012 6:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
nolemming wrote:

bobber1956, where do you think those wealthy are going to move to? America has one of the lowest tax rates in any developed world. It amazes me how one dimensional and naive Republicans can be

Nov 22, 2012 12:03am EST  --  Report as abuse