Two dead, up to 100 hurt in massive pileup on foggy Texas highway

JohnnyWilson wrote:

Reporting by Ian Simpson in Wasington.

Is Wasington in Texas?

Nov 22, 2012 2:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

The cause was unknown? Really? Too many going too fast for the conditions. No brainer.

Nov 22, 2012 2:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

People driving 70-80 miles an hours without being able to see what’s in front of them?

Nov 22, 2012 4:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mb56 wrote:

Wouldn’t it be swell if THIS time the lessons from this tragedy (which happens every year) were learned and people would stop driving well beyond their safety factor in fog?

Nov 22, 2012 5:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Neurochuck wrote:

There is also the panic feeling that if one slows right down then a truck will shunt from behind, better to stay with the flock and follow the speed of the vehicle in front.
Maybe that is why lemmings go over the cliff, too scared of being trampled if they don’t just follow.

Nov 22, 2012 6:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Mzungu wrote:

I’m from a neighboring state. Texans think they are ‘all that’ and drive too fast all the time. Been that way my entire life. When some car came jetting past me I could nearly always depend on it being a Texas license plate. You can’t get ahead of a Texan. If you are in front of them its because you don’t know your place in the world which is dead last. I feel bad for the pro-truck drivers because they can’t finish their work now because arrogant Texans wanted to be numero uno and clogged up everything unsafely. Texans travel in pods down the highway like crazed dolphins weaving in and out bumper to bumper all trying to inch ahead by a fraction of a mile an hour above 80; which is already 10 above the limit.

Nov 22, 2012 7:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
J.Gibson wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

Ha.

I’m sorry, when I see fog, I slow down; if I’m traffic and fog, I maintain assured clear distance.

from Reuters: “”People were not driving for the conditions at hand,” said Deputy Rod Carroll of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office… “Many of the vehicles were moving close to the posted speed of 70 mph despite dense fog that limited visibility.”

Yea, it makes me sound like an rectal sphincter, but I find it hard to have sympathy for those involved in situations such as this.

If you must pray, pray for any children involved. Or better yet, pray things like this don’t happen in the first place.

Nov 22, 2012 9:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
J.Gibson wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

Ha.

Nov 22, 2012 9:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
J.Gibson wrote:

No idea how my post came up twice, I do apologize though as it was only meant to show up once.

Nov 22, 2012 9:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
J.Gibson wrote:

You’re kidding, right? Why should anyone feel sorry for people who cause their own misery? Be sympathetic towards those, who, through no action of their own, were affected adversely.

My own father nearly killed me when I was 14, while raging like an ass on his motorcycle, was doing 120mph – went left of center on a curve and ran head-on into 5 bikes going the other direction at 60mph.

Feel pity for those others bikers, for the child involved, but don’t pity the man, or persons, who cause or contribute to chaos.

Nov 23, 2012 12:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
Beery wrote:

Currently, we are licensing motorists who don’t know how to drive. Heck, 90% or more don’t even bother to read their driver’s handbook. This is exactly why we need stricter and more rigorous testing for motorists, and repeat tests every few years.

Nov 23, 2012 5:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
John2244 wrote:

The truth is Americans do not care about traffic safety if it comes at the expense of personal liberty. The only way to enforce laws is to have punishment. The only way to cost effectively track the speeds of 1000′s of cars is to saturate problem and high traffic area’s with speed camera’s and install variable speed limit signs. This is much cheaper than the redneck version of hiring lots of state patrols in expensive cars who can only write one ticket every 20 minutes. The camera can then give variable speeding tickets depending on speed and more importantly lane changing and passing from the wrong side. It just takes one idiot to pass an 18 wheeler from the right side to start a chain reaction.

Its not the drivers faults for these mass wrecks – it only take one or two bad drivers to influence a whole pack of average drivers. Its the residents who can’t vote in modern changes because they are afraid of government camera’s.

Most of Northern Europe has gone to these systems. They are cheaper, produce better driving behavior and the highway death rates are 75% less than in the US. Its a no-brainer.

Nov 23, 2012 6:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
SvenBolin wrote:

Thank the Lord it happened in Texas. People could have been hurt.

Nov 23, 2012 6:53am EST  --  Report as abuse
Numb3rTech wrote:

SvenBolin

2 people were killed and over 100 people were injured.

Please read the article before posting. I am from Texas and there are a lot of really decent people here. Your comment was rude and abusive.

Nov 23, 2012 10:30am EST  --  Report as abuse