Black Friday sales online top $1 billion for first time: comScore

banjo123 wrote:

The news accounts are ridiculous when it comes to Black Friday sales. They show people fighting for deals and in long lines waiting for days to get into stores. Many news shows suggest a good year for retailers, and people believe in government now. I suggest the opposite is true. People believe after January 2013 the country will be in another recession. This could be the last good Christmas for their families for years to come. They are standing in long lines for days because they cannot afford to but the products any other way. I also suspect that after January 2013, credit will be tightened significantly, and spending will slow considerably due to layoffs and money hoarding by corporations and banks. I anticipate that many people are having a last big blowout in 2012, spending like drunken sailors and will file bankruptcy in 2013. From my standpoint, I believe this is primarily Obama’s fault be has taken individual responsibility and thrown it out the window. People now believe they are entitled to have whatever they want when they want it, saving money and waiting until they can afford something is not necessary any more. Obama will take care of them no matter what. Having babies used to be a God sent, something we planned for and waited to attain until we could provide a decent life for our kids. Now people believe government owes them and their kids a decent life and Obama seems to believe the same thing. America has become a welfare state and there is no way that can continue unchecked.

Nov 25, 2012 12:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
randburg100 wrote:

Sooooooooo millions of Yanks bought a $1bn of complete tat most of which they neither need nor want – they’ve been brainwashed into some sort of annual mammoth consumer-fest…….so just like sheep…Baaaaauy baaaaauy baaaaaaauy….

Nov 25, 2012 2:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
randburg100 wrote:

One point….the majority of the electronic junk is made in the Far East…so all these purchasing is increasing the yank national debt….hmmm good move???

Nov 25, 2012 2:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Janeallen wrote:

Well, it’s a good time to buy what’s necessary at a cheap price.
It’s budgeting. One can wait till after Christmas sale, but what’s needed may be sold out.

Most online retailers waive shipping cost for Black Friday.
Save the lines, save the gas. I did it too!

Nov 25, 2012 3:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
moneywon wrote:

I for one am quite glad I’m not spending Christmas, or any time, with banjo123. Can you imagine the anti-Obama rants triggered by carolers, snow and tree lights, among others? Also, I could be wrong, but I do believe they buy Holiday tat in the UK as well, although they probably blew this year’s gift budget on the Olympics. Too soon?

Nov 25, 2012 8:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GradyPhilpott wrote:

I guess the take from Black Friday would be a bigger success than in previous years, since so many retailers started Black Friday on Thursday.

Let all the pinheads crush and claw each other to death. The best deals will be the day after Christmas, but the wise will wait a few days for the returns crowds to subside a bit.

Nov 25, 2012 10:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse