Some House Republicans bending on anti-tax stance

Raise the tax rates on the super-wealthy, and cut back SS, Medicare, etc., a few percentage points for the rest us 98%. I don’t see why we should have such a big problem with all of this, though I know it’s complex.

Maybe a compromise on raising tax rates not on those making two million or more, but perhaps $1 million, i.e., net income AFTER expenses of biz.

Either way, we’re going to have to raise taxes and/or rates, and cut spending. It’s budgeting 101.

Nov 30, 2012 4:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse

you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows–the political wind and all the self serving political hacksshow themselves for what they are by their shifty rhetoric.

Nov 30, 2012 4:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Tresdedos wrote:

I’m an Independent. I vote with my head for the person I believe will do the best job, regardless of party affiliation. I do my best to study both sides of an issue and come to a fair opinion on the topic. One quesion that has been nagging at me for a very long time is, if President Obama honestly believes that former President Bush is the main reason for the economic woes of the United States, and that the Bush Administration was so dreadful, why does he continue with Bush Administration economic policies? President (then Senator) Obama voted for the Bush budgets and for TARP
The Bush administration asked for $350 B in bailout money and used ~$270 billion of the $350B authorized by Congress. President Bush requested the second $350B because President-Elect Obama asked for it. The big banks have paid back most of their bailout funding. Smaller banks are still struggling. I won’t even discuss AIG as it makes me nauseous and it’s apparent the U.S. taxpayer is going to stuck with GM.
If this ‘fiscal cliff’ is going to be so devastating, and the Bush policies were so bad, why did Senator Obama and a DEM controlled Senate, support TARP and President Bush’s tax policies? Why does he wish to extend the cuts to 2013? Why is he requesting more stimulus funds? That’s like an equestrian purposefully taking his mount through a field of broken glass and blaming the horse for coming up lame.

Nov 30, 2012 5:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

It ain’t over till the republicans bend over for Grover.

Nov 30, 2012 7:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
seagreen wrote:

So, the wealthy not only pay a much smaller percentage of taxes, but they also are taking advantage of loopholes that apparently everyone in Washington know about. Who would’ve guessed?

Dec 01, 2012 8:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
toledofan wrote:

The hype around this so called fiscal cliff is just amazing. If any Republican caves on the tax issue, then they become a part of the problem. What is very apparent is that no matter the smoke and mirrors, the Democrats have no intention of cutting anything. The evidence of the past four years shows they have no plan, don’t care how much they spend, and for sure aren’t going to do anything differently. So, why give in go down in a fight and stand firm; let the democrats fix the mess they have created.

Dec 03, 2012 10:00am EST  --  Report as abuse