Hearing for U.S. soldier in WikiLeaks centers on prison treatment

CMDibe wrote:

This man isnt the one who should be standing trial.

Dec 01, 2012 7:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Doc62 wrote:

I support Julian Assange. Both the US & Australia claim Freedom of Speech, but reject it when convenient. He’ll be looking over his shoulder for a long time to come.
Bradley Manning took an oath to defend the US, as all us veterans did.
That about adds up to treason. If anyone died as a result of his acts, the penalty is execution. So far, only embarressment has resulted. So 16 yrs in the brig is appropriate.

Dec 01, 2012 8:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Reuters1945 wrote:

Bradley Manning is the epitome of what Edmund Burke, (1729-1797), had in mind when he wrote his famous words:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”.

But much less well known is the equally insightful statement by that same author:

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little”.

At a moment in time in which Bradley Manning had to make, literally a life or death decision, he followed his conscience, no doubt fully aware of all the likely and predictable consequences that were certain to follow.

I, myself, found myself in a similar situation once in my past life and also chose to do the right thing, knowing I would pay heavily- and I did.

While I was fully vindicated and perceived as a hero of sorts in the end, many years later, by colleagues and people I did not even know, I had little hope at the time I followed my conscience that I would ever prevail or come out with even the skin on my back.

But I could not imagine going to my grave knowing that in a moment when all the lofty ideals of a lifetime were on the line, I had proven myself a coward and a knave by remaining silent in the face of evil acts.

Those who believe in decency and truth know that Bradley Manning is a modern day Hero in every sense of the word and all that word implies.

Those who wish him ill are the same type of failed human beings who have existed on this Earth since the dawn of time, who have always reacted to people like Bradley Manning with the same type of knee jerk reaction that can best be defined as:

“When you do not like the message- then kill the messenger”.

Dec 01, 2012 8:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
justamaz wrote:

So Manning was disrespected by fellow soldiers and he cried. Were going to call this “waterboarding” as a defense? Imagine terrorists from Guantanamo Bay if they were here.

Dec 01, 2012 9:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jerryball wrote:

Well, to begin with, he has been held nine times the legal pre-trial imprisonment time. What’s up with that? Sounds more like unusual and excessive “justice served” to any rational person.

Dec 01, 2012 9:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
datlgirl wrote:

Hang him high

Dec 01, 2012 9:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
datlgirl wrote:

loose lips sink ships.

Dec 01, 2012 9:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
datlgirl wrote:

jerryball, when n the military you answer to a stricter set of rules always een always wil b. one thing u dont do is release any intelligence. that is plain treason

Dec 01, 2012 9:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Reuters1945 wrote:

Throughout history there have been occasions when it was more wrong to follow military orders than to disobey those orders.

The well known often repeated claims made by German soldiers, who were put on trial immediately following WW II was that they were “just following orders”.

Perhaps one of the ugliest examples of following orders in military history was the massacre that took place in Vietnam on 16 March 1968 when the American soldiers of “Charlie Company”, 1/20th Infantry, landed outside the village of My Lai before dawn on a “search and destroy mission” in which they were ordered to kill every living human being and farm animal they encountered there.

Countless hundreds of helpless old men, women holding infants and children were forced into deep ditches and machine gunned to death.

Despite the Army’s massive subsequent attempt, going to the very top, to cover up the massacre, the story of My Lai eventually leaked out to the entire world.

It also later became known that a small handful of soldiers broke ranks and refusing direct orders to shoot the defenseless villagers, herded into ditches, made heroic efforts to halt the atrocities, at the peril of their own lives knowing they might later be charged with insubordination and executed.

The two bravest American soldiers that day were US Army helicopter pilot, Hugh Thompson and his machine gunner, Lawrence Colburn, who noticing the ongoing human slaughter from the air, above My Lai, landed their helicopter in the middle of the frenzied massacre in an attempt to stop the butchery of hundreds of innocent peasants.

These two men, single handedly, pointed their guns at their own soldiers, ordering them to cease the murderous rampage whilst attempting to rescue some of the still surviving Vietnamese peasants, including dying and wounded children and babies, from certain death.

The mind boggling miscarriages of Justice that occurred during and after the subsequent lengthy military trial/s are all too well known and too readily available to bear repeating here.

And the Army Captain who led the attack on My Lai and was essentially given a slap on the wrist and still later officially given a full Pardon, has spent the remainder of his obscene career making countless tens of thousands of dollars as a “Guest Speaker” on his “lecture” tours.

There comes a time in every person’s life when he/she must choose between disobeying “Official Orders” or becoming a willing participant in Evil.

Bradley Manning, to his credit, is one such human being.
_______________________________________________________

Dec 01, 2012 11:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
beancube2101 wrote:

Those Prosecutors are obviously working against the population of America. This is so obvious that Mr. Manning can become prosecution witnesses against war-crime-cover-ups and benefit our honest soldiers; instead they are taking the risk to harm the reputation of the entire military community for continuing the cover up. Why should the population of America pay these stupid people for their expensive and luxury living styles? We must start a movement to fire them all from our military.

Dec 02, 2012 4:17am EST  --  Report as abuse