For an honorary consul in America: deal or no deal?

buckaroo5 wrote:

This is a press event nothing more. My first understanding from the press was that the lady by word of mouth referred so in requesting that the press remove themselves from in front of her house. Why should she & her neighbors not wish such action ? She is not a designated public citizen & her fellow home owners surly are not. I say, get the heck off my lawn any way I think might be effective

Dec 04, 2012 1:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

“like speeding through airport immigration lines and the right to fly the nation’s flag on their car.”

WHAT????

You mean the CUSTOMS line? Why would she be in any Airport Immigration line? And how do you exactly speed through them?

I’m not going to even comment on the flag thing.

Dec 04, 2012 2:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Greenspan2 wrote:

These so called consuls are nothing more than business men and women given special privileges under the auspices of the US government due to their designation as honorary consuls. It is an anachronism of privilege and cronyism unbefitting a first world democracy.

Dec 04, 2012 3:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Greenspan2 wrote:

Dec 04, 2012 3:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“Honorary consul.” Good one. That’s right up there with the Buffalo Bill Jr. U.S. Marshal’s club at Yellowstone Park. Comes with a plastic badge and a cork gun.

Dec 04, 2012 4:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
edfed wrote:

Harry079: Have you ever traveled outside the U.S. There are two separate functions. First you pass through immigration, which is a check of one’s passport, and visa if that is required. Then you go through customs, which is a check on whether you are bringing in any items subject to customs duties or which might be prohibited. This is true for all nations, including the United States. I just came back through U.S.immigration and customs at Miami a few weeks ago and it is the same way as it has been for the 40 years I have travelled abroad. Some uneducated or inexperienced people just say “going through customs,” but it is two separate functions.

Dec 04, 2012 5:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
axion137 wrote:

Not to criticize the good socialites out there if there is such a thing but I met one at a bar I had to sit next too, no other place to sit. I didn’t want to talk to her because I heard some bad things about her. Well she forced my hand and said something to me and we started talking. She must of sensed something. I didn’t think nothing was wrong but unbelievable she went off to the bartender about me, she was a nutcase she didn’t know me but she had influence. These people with a bat of an eye can ruin people’s lives by spreading slander, lies, and false rumors about them. These gossiping slandering snakes get what they deserves, what goes around comes right back at you.

Dec 04, 2012 7:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse