Private firm plans "affordable" lunar mission for $1.5 billion

jasonbrann wrote:

how could this possibly be profitable? bill gates would have to build a summer house in the sea of tranquility for them to just to break even.

Dec 07, 2012 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
tmc wrote:

Wow, and that’s just the public press release info. Think of the cargo industry too. Satalites, robotic equipment, and the most profitable, the defense industry. I hope they IPO real soon.

Dec 07, 2012 11:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

I’d really like to see some manned missions going back to the moon and if private industry can do it so much the better.

I’m not familiar with any energy resources the moon might have that we could use here back on Earth but it takes dreamers like these guys to find what might be possible.

Dec 07, 2012 1:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

I couldn’t stop laughing after the “former NASA managers part”.
It’s like the CEO’s of failed banks deciding to start a bank on the moon.
Where can I invest? I want to get loans on everything I own for this great opportunity and give them my money.
These are the same people that said it was OK to launch Challenger with the cracked O’ring.

Dec 07, 2012 1:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse

So it would cost less than a government mission after an initial investment of more than a government mission would cost?

Dec 07, 2012 2:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Dec 07, 2012 2:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Private firm plans “affordable” lunar mission.

Offers to bundle it with mission to Dubai and Mars.

Dec 07, 2012 3:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“If I could find investors to get started with, we would be going back to the moon within 10 or 15 years to harvest its energy resources and use them back here on Earth,”

…says the guy who lives on a planet that is made up of 90% magma and already traps solar energy in the form of plant bio-mass. Yeah, we need the moon’s energy. That’s critical :)

Dec 07, 2012 3:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
KyuuAL wrote:

Space infrastructure would be madly profitable – beyond the bounds currently known today. That’s all due to the resources and energy sources out there. Then top it off with future technological innovation.

Short-sighted people can’t see this.

Dec 07, 2012 4:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

If I was Bill Gates, or someone else with wealth of 20+ billion. I would spend less then 10% of my wealth for this trip in an instant, assuming that the chance of death was less then 10%.

Dec 09, 2012 1:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse