Gun control movement tries to shed election losing reputation

Comments (57)
Eugene31 wrote:

People used to be afraid of Grover Norquist. Now he’s a has-been. Ditto Karl Rove. People were afraid of Big Money, but the voters shot down the biggest money in November. The NRA has blood on its hands, and it can’t get them off. (1)Assault weapon ban: fair and reasonable. (2) criminal background checks at gun shows and mental health background checks. (3)ban on manufacture of gun magazines for automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

Dec 15, 2012 10:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Gamenerd1991 wrote:

While I would like for guns to be permanently restricted to professional use only, I’m afraid it can’t happen now. We have had guns free to the public for so long now, that taking it all away now would mean leaving all those without guns vulnerable to those with guns. I damn the day our founding fathers made the right to bear arms legal. They had no idea how much more deadly our technology would get.

Dec 15, 2012 10:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Chuck.B wrote:

This statement is not true…..”checks are not currently required at gun shows or for sales between private individuals.”

If the Seller is an FFL, there are required. Only sales of private property between private citizens are not required to have a background check. There is NO gun show loops hole, the rules are gun shows are no different then anywhere else.

Dec 15, 2012 10:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Chuck.B wrote:

This statement is not true…..”checks are not currently required at gun shows or for sales between private individuals.”

If the Seller is an FFL, there are required. Only sales of private property between private citizens are not required to have a background check. There is NO gun show loops hole, the rules are gun shows are no different then anywhere else.

Dec 15, 2012 10:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
big_tower wrote:

I am a gun control advocate. Enough is enough. Our Government must hear our cries.

Dec 15, 2012 11:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
psittacid wrote:

The NRA position that nothing is wrong rings less true now than ever. Guns do kill people. More guns kill more people. All over the civilized world gun control works in peaceful democracies.

When people were dying in cars, seat belt laws were passed. This is not different. Innocent Americans blood is needlessly shed. “A well-regulated militia” never meant “any nut case with a mommy complex”. It’s time to quit being ridiculous about this.

Dec 15, 2012 11:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The NRA is full of morons; Both in their organization and the people participating. This is evidenced by the fact that the NRA supported Mitt Romney who is a known anti gun politician. While the money the NRA spent may not have effected the elections the way they wanted it, it is not because they are ineffective. It is because they failed their own principles by supporting people who cannot back their own positions with logic. It takes basic intelligence to understand the pro gun argument, and the NRA as well as the people they supported lack that intelligence. People with half a clue as to why the second amendment exists understand the necessity for guns and the necessity to elect people who also understand the logic behind it as well. The people the NRA push are not necessarily connected to people who actually care about the issue. That is why the NRA is becoming less important, not because the issue itself is becoming less important. It will always be important as long as America is not run by tyrannical dictators.

Dec 15, 2012 11:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The NRA is full of morons; Both in their organization and the people participating. This is evidenced by the fact that the NRA supported Mitt Romney who is a known anti gun politician. While the money the NRA spent may not have effected the elections the way they wanted it, it is not because they are ineffective. It is because they failed their own principles by supporting people who cannot back their own positions with logic. It takes basic intelligence to understand the pro gun argument, and the NRA as well as the people they supported lack that intelligence. People with half a clue as to why the second amendment exists understand the necessity for guns and the necessity to elect people who also understand the logic behind it as well. The people the NRA push are not necessarily connected to people who actually care about the issue. That is why the NRA is becoming less important, not because the issue itself is becoming less important. It will always be important as long as America is not run by tyrannical dictators.

Dec 15, 2012 11:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
beancube2101 wrote:

According to their interpretations, we all should have drone bombers instead of elections.

Dec 16, 2012 12:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
DocScience wrote:

Guns in the hands of the honest and responsible? Sure, that’s the problem.

Let’s ignore the issue of mainstreaming and homecare for the seriously mentally ill. A 40 year old experiment which has filled our streets with homeless, and allowed crazed mass murderers to shoot their demons in our colleges, our malls, our schools and our theaters.

Why must we ignore the schizophrenic elephant in the room?

Dec 16, 2012 12:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
Depp wrote:

Does anyone else here suspect that the NRA’s objective is not to ensure that citizens have the right to own firearms, but that firearms sellers have the right to sell to whomever they want?

There’s a big difference. One cares about who does the selling and doesn’t care about who buys what or how they use it. As long as money is being made.

Dec 16, 2012 12:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I knew a kid with a violent mental disorder when I was in high school. He got caught with a list in his backpack about who he was going to get back at. The school put him in a mentally challenged/emotionally disabled classroom. This made things exponentially worse. There was a teacher in the school that paid for some sort of program (It was 11 years ago so I don’t remember the name of the program). The child was removed and I have checked up on his progress to see if he’s doing better. He’s not. The fact is that if this random teacher had not been generous with the students family the child would have killed someone. I’m sure of it.
The moral of the story is that this problem was solved before ANY type of weapon,poison,etc was involved.

Dec 16, 2012 12:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nwoah wrote:

I missed DocScience’s comment. Spot on. Made my story a little redundant… lol.

Dec 16, 2012 12:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
qyrral wrote:

I think if more upright citizens owned a gun there would be fewer incidents like this and most crooks would have to think twice about using a gun. I believe the founding fathers got it right with the right to bare arms. law enforcement would have everyone believe that they are the only ones able to protect everyone. Where were they when these children needed protection. They can not protect anyone. If anyone would look at the record they would see they are an after the fact organization. Sanctioning the right of law abiding Americans to bare arms will have no affect on criminals. Law abiding Americans need guns because there is not one federal, state or county agency that is capable of protecting them.

Dec 16, 2012 1:32am EST  --  Report as abuse
bdeeber8 wrote:

In the time that has elapsed since yesterday’s massacre in Connecticut, we have seen 2 people gunned down in Las Vegas, 50 rounds fired at civilians in a Newport Beach parking lot, two people gunned down in a shootout in Alabama, and an attempted public shooting in California. This is the last 24 hours, AFTER Connecticut; and of course the massacre in Oregon earlier just a few days ago is ancient history. Oh yes, and we’ve heard the same well-rehearsed denial rhetoric from the gun nuts, ranging from the insane “blame it on liberals” to the mega-insane idea that the answer to gun violence is more guns. The gun nuts got what they wanted since Columbine – it’s the Wild West now, everyone who wants one has a gun. How’s that working out, NRA? Our blood-soaked streets, where ten thousand Americans are killed by guns annually, are apparently some sort of “price we pay for freedom.” OMG, what a toilet we live in.

Dec 16, 2012 2:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
stilldazed wrote:

Did anybody notice that these shootings happen in a weapons free zone? When the populous is armed there are less problems. How many less children would have died if the school teachers and administrators were armed? How many less people would have died at the theater in Colorado if the patrons were armed? An armed society is a polite society. There are verifiable statistics of less violent weapons crime when the populous in general is armed. It is people that kill, not weapons. It is bad drivers that kill people in car crashes, will you make cars illegal? Please check the statistics of people killed each year in auto accidents.

Dec 16, 2012 2:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
bdeeber8 wrote:

qyrral, if the answer to gun violence is more guns, then why is it that in this gun-crazed country, we are 20 times more likely to die from gun violence than any other country on earth? Why is our 10,000 dead every year from guns more than nearly all other countries combined? Why don’t we solve the problem of traffic accidents by abolishing speed limits? After all, those who survive will have FREEDOM, just like our precious right to, as you say, “bare arms.” The answer to gun violence is to get rid of the guns and ammunition. America has proven time and time again that if you give them guns they will slaughter each other like madmen. We cannot handle gun ownership. Sure there’s other factors; this is a sick, violent culture. And a sick violent culture will, if armed to the teeth, kill each other.

Dec 16, 2012 2:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
Texasoil wrote:

This is what is so stupid. There are more then 3 gun per person in America but the NRA has only 2 million members. That argument does not add up that it is the NRA holding things up.
Almost every house hold in America has a gun it it. So that makes them pro gun. I am not a member of the NRA and do own several guns. And I an pro gun.
It is the person that kills. It is the person that pulls the trigger. Maybe we need to start locking up some of these wack jobs out there instead of catering to them. We need to start profiling at an early age to weed them out.
As far as gun control it will never happen. So dream on.

Dec 16, 2012 2:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
VaeVictis wrote:

The killer in Connecticut wasn’t a gun owner, he didn’t have a criminal record, he had a disorder that would not make him considered dangerous. Would any gun control legislation have prevented the shooting in Connecticut?

What about the thousands of unsolved murders every year committed during the execution of violent crimes? When I was in the Army I paratrooper in my unit was murdered by a burglar in his house on Thanksgiving day.

Rather than understand the constitution or debate the merits of gun laws, people exploit the emotions of a tragedy to advance their cause, but they ignore thousands of less sensational tragedies in doing so.

Dec 16, 2012 3:06am EST  --  Report as abuse
VaeVictis wrote:

Texas soil your facts are exactly right and a little misleading. There are more than 4 million NRA members and nearly half of American adults own firearms. When you consider that it’s normal to own a shotgun for one type of shooting, a rifle for another, maybe another smaller caliber rifle for another, a pistol for another and another rifle or shotgun so you can bring your non-gun owning friend with you for sport or hunting, it’s hardly surprising that many people own two or three firearms while others who are collectors own many more, many of which are antiques which are never fired.

Dec 16, 2012 3:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
borisjimbo wrote:

Dear Chuck.B;
Gun show loophole is just the shorthand ordinary civilians use to refer to the lack of a need to check the background of a purchaser from a private seller. Get over yourself.

Dec 16, 2012 4:43am EST  --  Report as abuse

Yes, “gun control”, seems warranted, but having said that, those guns did not kill those children it was the mentally ill individual who “CHOSE” to use guns to harm people, IF he had used a club and pummeled those people to death, would the masses be screaming for tighter “club controls” the money we are spending chasing the war on drugs could easily diverted to identifying and treating and yes in some cases warehousing the mentally ill, rather than locking up a bunch of NON-VIOLENT drug users or the monies we are spending for police officers to check seat belts or perhaps the monies this country is wasting chasing the boogeyman around some third world cesspool or offering aid and support to a bunch of savages that would like nothing more than to see the entire U.S. wiped off the map….we could be using these monies to identify and treat mental illness before the mental illness claims a couple of dozen “innocent lives”

Dec 16, 2012 5:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
sonllama wrote:

Don’t blame the Laws, Blame the Media!!!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2012 6:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
Globalman wrote:

The country needs to find a way to identify and treat these mentally ill people.

Dec 16, 2012 7:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
jw_collins wrote:

Here’s what will have happen to get to gun control in America: 1). Fools in Congress will have to be replaced, 2). Three quarters of the states will have to vote to amend the constitution. 3. Polka dot monkeys will have to fly around the moon eating sugar pies. Otherwise, the blasting will continue.

Dec 16, 2012 8:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
raptor666 wrote:

…guns don’t kill people… people kill people… and until politicians and gun control fanatics admit this…the real problem
…mentally ill people (this includes religious extremist nuts) are going to continue to run loose in our society… and if you removed every gun in the world… they would continue to kill people with other tools… if you want to fix the problem… you must admit that it exist.

Dec 16, 2012 8:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
ccharles wrote:

Gun Control… how about enforcing the laws on the books. I live in a major city… son (15) at a park is robbed at gun point by 2 other teenagers, police catch the teenagers after robbing a few other and branshing the gun around. Son dosnt want to testify, scared , we convince him to do it, and they drop charges on one and give the other 6 months probation.

This is the nitty gritty area that gun laws need to work… and they dont … ban all the assault weapons you want, but if dont enforce the laws we have then they are just blowing smoke up your butt.

Chicago is a totally gun free city.. it is illegal to have a gun at all.. and its the top murder spot in american atm. The laws are in place, so why are they not working? Fix that problem first.

As for the crazys. How are you going to stop people that have already decided the “intent” of the action. You can not stop those people. Especially once they have decided to give there life to take a life. I do like the idea of putting police at the schools… if we cant prevent these things from happening, at least we can attempt to limit the carnage they can commit.

Dec 16, 2012 8:52am EST  --  Report as abuse
retired2001 wrote:

I read many comments about “guns not killing people, people kill people”.

The reality is that People kill people with the aid of a lethal weapon, let it be with bare hands or an explosive belt.

The issue here is how effective is the killing instrument. An assault weapon, which is specifically designed as an offensive weapon capable of killing en mass, is far more effective than a baseball bat.

lets get real here folks, Assault style weapons should not be available to the general public. it has absolutely no value as a self-defense tool.

I agree that mentally disturbed individuals are usually the ones that commit such atrocities. I have never heard if a known criminal go off on a shooting rampage killing indiscriminately.

I hear the argument of “arming” more good guys to stop the bad ones is purely mental fantasy. even if that were the case, do you think that a perpetrator who is heavily armed with an assault type weapon is going to announce his/her presence and say ” hi, I’m here to kill you all”

We cannot completely stop these senseless killings but we can start by banning assault type weapons, which happens to be the weapon of choice for loonies.

Dec 16, 2012 12:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

In the history of my state, we have never had a mass murder with a gun.
So why should we have to submit to gun control?
Those people in Connecticut ran to that town to get away from black people because they thought black people were the cause of crimes and they would be safe. On TV they even said they thought their town was safe from killings and crime.
The mother let her mentally ill son get his hands on a Bushmaster with plenty of clips and ammunition. I blame the mother, not guns.
Get real, gun control folks. Not everyone wants to hide in fear and be sheep for slaughter, like you.
Hitler took the guns from Jews, and we all know what happened next.

Dec 16, 2012 2:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
deerecub1977 wrote:

the blood is on the mother for not locking up her stuff.

Dec 16, 2012 3:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
act1 wrote:

Apparently our learned politicians are unaware that the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously agreed that the 2nd amendment right to bear arms pertained to the militia, not to the general public — in 1939! Unfortunately, organizations like the NRA succeeded in changing the course of that thinking so that anybody can have an assault rifle with ammo clips that can hold enough bullets to slaughter many innocents. This country has far more firearms per capita than any other country. That must stop. Let’s put an end to the “I’ve gotta have a gun” mentality.

Dec 16, 2012 5:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The sentiment in the U.S. has shifted recently to pro-Second Amend. because Americans have reeducated, and their sentiment is to keep their rights. The politics was dominated for decades prior by anti-gun groups. However, anti-gun civilians had two flaws (1) their ideas were illegally contrary to the Constitution; (2) and illogical since they never worked. Even the anti-gun Govt. Bureau “Center for Disease Control” found statistics that firearms are used by American’s in self-defense 1.5 million times a year. Yet we never hear about it in biased news reports. Not to mention real life evidence such as Washington D.C.’s highest murder rate in the nation, for decades while firearms were banned. Now that citizens are allowed to own firearms again the violent crime rate dropped to a 40 year low, thanks to the Supreme Court’s “Heller” decision. Firearms are not the problem (they’re inanimate objects); the problem rests with the criminal.

Dec 16, 2012 6:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
liz55 wrote:

No one is asking to ban all guns but I have yet to hear a good reason a civilian needs a high powered assault weapon which can fire hundreds of rounds per minute. So I think that is where the conversation needs to start.

Dec 16, 2012 6:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

When Bloomberg is NOT surrounded 24/7 by ARMED security and police, I will take him seriously about gun control. Bloomberg should know that the first thing Hitler did was take guns from the Jews, then he rounded up the helpless Jews and murdered millions of them. I guess I was wrong when I thought Bloomberg was Jewish. I think Bloomberg should call for gun control in Israel, where almost every person has a military weapon and ammunition.

Dec 16, 2012 7:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

The mother murdered all those kids by letting her known mentally ill son get his hands on weapoons (which is ILLEGAL).

Dec 16, 2012 7:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse

You are all attacking this from the perspective. Removing guns is not the answer. There is at least an entire generation that needs to be highly scrutinized, this 20 something group that was raised with the TV as a babysitter. Parents never spend the quality time with this generation and none of these kids have any idea of consequences.

Also, I realize many of you live in the city, but many of us also live in the country. I am a CCW holder, I took classes and met in front of the county gun board to get my license to carry a gun. I am a hard working adult who retains the right to bear arms, for protection and for hunting. Also there comes a time when a gun is also needed for lesser thought of things, putting down a dog or deer hit by a car, taking care of rabid racoons, etc. It is MY RIGHT to own and secure these guns.

A small handful of mentally unstable people go on a murder spree and gun control advocates want to take all guns from everybody. But you can drive your car into a crowd and kill people and we still have cars ? Last time I checked, fatalities from car accidents on 2012 are FAR HIGHER that all gun fatalities in the last several decades.

Remember, CRIMINALS WILL NEVER FOLLOW THE LAW. Making guns difficult for normal, law abiding citizens will not keep a criminal from getting them.

Dec 16, 2012 8:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse

This is a respectful response to “liz55″: I figure you’re not well acquainted with firearms or the politics (not meant as an insult). Firearms that “fire hundreds of rounds per minute”, are already illegal in the U.S. (machine guns). They’re so regulated the number is fixed at a few thousand in ownership. Due to the rarity, they cost $thousands and mostly collectors own them. They’re also registered with the ATF/ FBI, so criminals don’t buy them. The problem with your argument is, all the non-military firearms you’re thinking of are not what the 2nd Amend. is about. The 2nd Amend. is about the most current military arms available. In 1791 (Bill of Rights) the current military weapon was the Pennsylvania flintlock rifled musket. Today it’s the M-16 magazine fed rifle. The purpose of the 2nd Amend. is to allow regular citizens of a republic (U.S.) the ability to maintain their liberty in the event of tyranny. Although rare, it’s exactly what our Founders did with the same right (farmers & tradesmen protecting themselves from Govt. at Lexington). Read our history and you’ll understand, and I truly encourage you to do so. Tyranny still happens; Germany, Russia, China, Rawanda, Somalia, Iraq, Egypt, et al.

Dec 16, 2012 8:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BioStudies wrote:

Two days after a mass murder Reuters? This paper has no class.

Dec 16, 2012 9:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
CountryPride wrote:

I want all cars banned NOW! Only the government and emergency services should be authorized to operate these dangerous machines. Over 30k Americans die every year because we continue to allow these 2000 pound weapons to roll down our streets, this tragedy has to stop. And this isn’t even a constitutional right, how have we allowed this to happen?

Dec 16, 2012 10:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
CountryPride wrote:

To those who damn the day the founding fathers gave us the right to bear arms you have no idea of the exponentially greater atrocities that would have been committed and will be committed by the tyranny of madmen in government that know that we have no way to defend ourselves against such abuse if our right to bear arms is stolen from us.

Dec 16, 2012 10:34pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Carl2011 wrote:

Go ahead and push for this democrats. I guarantee you, it will backfire on you. You will be seen for the lazy people you are. You are taking the EASY way out. You are attacking something that is EASY to attack. It’s Visible, and EASY to say it’s GUNS. It’s EASY to try to push through new laws that DON’T do ANYTHING to prevent this from happening. You are taking the EASY way out of having to face the REAL problem here. The REAL problem is one of MENTAL HEALTH. the REAL problem here is the government preventing parents from being able to raise their own kids and discipline their own kids. the REAL problem here is a LACK of understanding of MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES. These are REAL difficult problems that NEED to be faced. Going after GUNS is a COP-OUT and shows your true LACK OF CONVICTION for addressing REAL problems in America today. YOU THROW MONEY at problems hoping they will go away, YOU CREATE USELESS LAWS hoping that everyone will follow them. YOU DO NOT have the DIFFICULT discussions about how to ADDRESS the GROWING PROBLEMS of this Nation. So yes, please just continue to take the easy path. If that allows you to sleep well at night knowing you DID NOTHING to Prevent this from happening AGAIN in the future. For it will likely happen again. There are TOO MANY SICK PEOPLE IN THE USA THAT NEED HELP. But you will sleep better at night knowing that you created a LAW that did NOTHING to address the REAL PROBLEM. You are weak, you are pithy, and you only care about appearances for political gain and nothing else! FACE THE REAL PROBLEM AND STOP TAKING THE EASY WAY OUT!!! WE ELECT YOU AND WE PAY YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING. AND YOU ARE FAILING!!

Dec 16, 2012 10:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeBrown wrote:

The mentally ill people are the gun nuts, the people who insist that there is something beautiful in an assault rifle, the people who love their guns more than their children.

Every time there’s a mass slaughter in the US I shake my head at all of the gun nuts who crawl out of the woodwork afterwards and say “I’d have taken down that POS in a heartbeat if I hadn’t been hiding when the bullets were flying!” Little men spouting big words, cowards.

The bodies of innocent Americans will continue to pile up like cordwood until you people realise that you don’t need a gun in a civilized society.

Thank God I don’t live in the United States.

Dec 16, 2012 11:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Carl2011 wrote:

“The bodies of innocent Americans will continue to pile up like cordwood until you people realise that you don’t need a gun in a civilized society”

That’s just the problem, it’s not a civilized society. You get the guns out of the criminals hands and then I’ll gladly give up mine. I don’t need an assault rifle either, but neither do you need a car that goes faster than 80mph. Will you give up your car then? Will you agree to a speed limiter on your car so that you cannot go faster than 80 mph? No of course you won’t, not unless everyone else does right? There are those who believe that the right to bare arms gives them the right to have the most up-to-date firearms to be able to fight against tyranny. I’m not as paranoid as them, but they do exist. And like anything, it only takes one loudmouth spewing crap to tarnish the millions of others who simply want to have a rifle and/or handgun that they can use for protecting their families. If I lived in an area where the criminals had semi-auto’s, I guess I would want to have something just as powerful. There is alot to be said about the intimidation factor of a pop…vs. a pop pop pop pop pop. I truly wish that there were NO guns at all in this world, but until that happens, I will NOT give up mine. And I do hope that you are never the victim of a home invasion, or a robbery or god forbid a killing of someone in your family, but if the day comes that it does happen to you or a loved one, please remember your words. I know a few people who have been victims of crimes who were anti-gun before, but now have at least one, and I asked one of them why? why did you get a gun? and the answer was, “because I want to feel safe, even if it’s unwarranted, I don’t know how to shoot so well, and I don’t even know if I could shoot someone, but I pray that if I shoot into the floor, the sound will make them run”. I told him to get blanks, and he said “no, because they might not run, but rather shoot back”.

Dec 17, 2012 12:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeBrown wrote:

Every new gun increases the chances of another slaughter. Understand that. I think the US is a civilized society and I don’t see the need for people to carry guns with them. Unfortunately I think your country has gone too far down the road and the killing machine will continue doing its dirty work. You say that if the criminals have semi-automatic guns then you want one too, so you’re a part of the killing machine.

I have a friend who moved here to Canada from the States a couple of years ago and he told me he moved because he was worried about the threat of another terrorist attack. What neither my friend nor you seem to comprehend is that Americans are their own terrorists. If it can happen in a small town in New England it can happen anywhere and Americans should feel terrorized. Congratulations, you’ve done what terrorist groups around the world have failed to do since 9/11.

I will never carry a gun and if I live to be an old man having never touched a gun then I’ll be very proud of myself and rightly so.

For the record, I don’t own a car, I take the subway to work, it’s much cheaper. If I did own a car, I think it would be a very good idea to have a device on all cars that limits their speed to 80 MPH.

Finally, I won’t comment on your sartorial skills, if you want to have bare arms year round, feel free. But do you really believe that a group of disorganized gun nuts could stand up against a well-trained, well-equipped professional army? Your Founding Fathers were very leery of standing armies, that’s why they included the Second Amendment. The American Constitution is a wonderful document, a product of the Age of Enlightenment. Now it’s been abused and perverted by unenlightened barbarians who are not fit to be governed by it.

Go ahead, kill yourselves off, maybe that’s what’s needed to start over again in the once-great nation known as the United States of America.

You have my pity.

Dec 17, 2012 12:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
Carl2011 wrote:

My thoughts…

1. Take 95% of the funding given to the TSA and shift it to mental health and school safety instead.
2. Make it a federal crime with a mandatory 25 years without probation sentence for ANY crime committed with a firearm. Period. Don’t pass go, No parole, No leniency, NO matter how old you are. Adult crime deserves adult time.
3. Bring the US soldiers home, and put them on the streets of Chicago, Detroit, New York, LA, Dallas, Atlanta and every other major crime area and have them in essence “clean house”. Bust every drug house, every crack house, every gangbanger, Every chop shop, Every mafiosa, Every single one of these deranged criminals and bring back forced labor camps for criminals. Hard Labor we’re talking.
4. All children who have been identified as having mental difficulties (autism, etc.) are to be registered with state authorities, and have assigned psychiatrists who will monitor them and ensure that the parents and doctors are providing the necessary treatment, medication whatever the child needs in an attempt to make them a valuable member of society and not something like this monster who took so many lives.
5. EVERY school in the US will be upgraded with the money from 1, to ensure that our children are safe. This will also work to reduce drugs and other weapons from making it into some schools in high crime areas.
6. Pay teachers what they are worth (But still get rid of tenure…sorry, just don’t see a benefit in having a teacher who doesn’t have the incentive to teach). Not all teachers are as brave and caring as those at the school in CT.
7. Bring back the television standards of the 50′s. i.e. NO violence, NO Sex on TV. None. Parents have obviously not demonstrated their ability to police the shows their kids watch, so it needs to be eliminated. Set a standard of wholesome, educational and family oriented shows. Get rid of the profanity, the reality shows, and all the other pollutants on mainstream tv.
8. Make it illegal to manufacture video games which depict violence. Parents again, have failed to demonstrate their ability to police the games that kids play today. From Call of Duty to Grand Theft Auto, video games are destroying our kids minds.
9. Provide tax incentives for those to join community outreach groups, or other events or support groups that help the less fortunate in the different communities. Over time, people will realize how fulfilling it is and then in time, tax incentives will not be needed. We need to get people out of their living rooms, away from TV’s, and video games and get them interacting once again with each other. If I had the power, I’d shut the internet down from 5pm through 6am every day just so people would tune off and look around them at their communities. Things are falling apart all around us. We need to do something.
10. Never forget 12/14/12, remind ourselves everyday what happens when we become complacent and pacifistic of what is going on around us. When we forget to care for each other, when we see material wealth as the goal in life rather than a bonus to living a life.

God bless the children we lost this week.

Dec 17, 2012 1:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
CA0646 wrote:

I shoot and I vote.

It would be natural for the President and others to use this tragedy to forward a cherished political agenda.

Police ALWAYS arrive too late to do anything substantive. But others may be first responders: teachers, administrators, parents, passersby, in short citizens – if they are empowered.
The liberal concept of a “gun-free zone” is precisely why these horrific events happen in schools.

I am responsible for my safety and I will act to provide for the safety of others. As a Physician and as a Citizen, I will always be a first responder for emergencies, be they medical, environmental or pathological. For each emergency I will need the appropriate tool.

Enforce the laws that exist today; that includes you Mr. Holder.

And Mr. Bloomberg, lead by example: make your home and your office “gun free zones”, walk the streets of Brownsville or Midtown, at night, alone in your fancy suit, UN-ARMED.

Dec 17, 2012 4:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
getreal56 wrote:

I live in Canada…thank god for that.
In case anyone is interested here are some thoughts:
1 To the people who want to worry about cars killing people…they are built for conveyance, gun are made to kill. Go ahead and argue that last point…nobody with an ounce of common sense is listening, including myself, so stop.
2 Apparently some of you have incredible sources, since I only heard speculation about this young persons mental health, that’s ok though it helps your arguments to make things up.
3 It’s a known fact that projectiles fired at high velocities cause incredible injury and massive bleeding and death….the fact that these bullets are fired by people is unimportant to the bullets…and the people on the receiving end of it. Guns kill. Period. So do knives and blunt objects and cars too. The last time I checked this wasn’t an accident or a domestic dispute…it is mass murder. Much harder to do without some guns.
4 To the person who says its easy to make a gun in a shop…wow, just wow, you really want to compare a zip gun to a semi-automatic? WOW.
5 Just imagine for a moment this young person went into a different goverment building thinking he was defending his freedom (delusional or not)Did you see the response from the goverment agencies? You would never have the slightest chance to defend your constitutional right to bear arms….but hey keep telling yourself it’s worth a few more of these horrors to give yourself a false sense of control. Who the heck do you think makes up the army and police anyways? Your neighbors, sons and daughters, freinds etc…if you are paranoid of them…wow, just wow again.
6 Not all that long ago some people thought is was their right to own slaves….THATS why you have amendments to constitutions…..maybe you should think about a new one.

Dec 17, 2012 4:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
txguy2112 wrote:

@Carl2011

I can agree with some of your comments but others would present some issues.

1. I can agree with this premise.
2. I (a gun owner and advocate of legal gun ownership) heartily agree and might even be willing to make the sentence stiffer.
3. could not happen as it violates the Posse Comitatus act
4. Sounds like a good plan
5. I like the idea
6. I agree that teachers are underpaid (too much of the budget in many areas goes to administration and sports and not enough to what matters)
7. Don’t think that can happen as it has been ongoing too long and how long would people be willing to watch “Leave it to Beaver” type shows.
8. The government should not be the parent.
9. I can agree with some of this but trying to shut down the internet during certain hours would be counterproductive to many things.
10. I totally agree with this.

Dec 17, 2012 8:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
txguy2112 wrote:

@ getreal56

You said (in part) “I live in Canada…thank god for that.”

We agree with you

Dec 17, 2012 8:37am EST  --  Report as abuse
reality-again wrote:

If a politician in the 1950s had proposed to tax cigarettes and ban advertising for tobacco, they would have surely confronted a strong opposition from a powerful coalition of tobacco companies, and a divided public including millions of tobacco addicts.

There are millions of people in this country who are addicted to high-power arms. It has nothing to do with self defense.
No one needs more than one small-caliber, non-automatic handgun to protect themselves.

Transforming people’s tobacco habits took decades, and so would transforming the firearms habit, and the sooner we start the better.

Dec 17, 2012 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse

An entire generation of children raised in front of the tv and video games…. Never having to suffer consequences of their own actions.

This is what happens when the government steps in and reduces or removes the ability to discipline kids. Parents simply give up. This explains a lot. Also explains why I see young kids with facial piercings. Why would a parent allow a 12 year old girl with a huge bull ring in her nose ? LACK OF DISCIPLINE.

Georgebrown: Also, the simplest gun built during WWII had only 12 parts, and it was fully automatic. I am pretty sure I could figure out how to make such a simple device in my shop. Just a spring, a rod of steel with a pin on the end, and a tube to slide it in. Not a big deal. Magazine feed would be a snap.

Reality again – get off your soap box. Do you own more than 1 car ? more than 1 pair of shoes ? I like guns. Its my right, my protection, my hobby (hunting) and my retirement. Guns are a collectible item, just like baseball cards. Guns will only increase in value, unlike my stocks. My guns are well kept, most are unfired. All are inventoried and locked up, except for my protection guns, which are well placed. Do you own a car ? Do you drain the gas from the tank when you park it ? No ? So you leave gas in the tank in case you need to use your car ? Well, I leave my protection guns loaded. After all, it takes police up to an hour to get to my area and take down an attacker, but only a few seconds to defend myself.

Dec 17, 2012 9:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.