S&P 500 finishes at 5-year high on economic data

Comments (11)
arthurpkaske wrote:

Corruption is alive and well in America.

Jan 04, 2013 10:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
arthurpkaske wrote:

Corruption is alive and well in America.

Jan 04, 2013 10:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Obama is a good President and I’ll be voting for him again in 2012. Oh wait. That happened. And he won. And the economy is still improving.

It’s a great world. One Big Ass Mandate America! God bless the troops!

Jan 04, 2013 5:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve wrote:

the S & P 500 hit a 5 year high because the market is manipulated by the Fed and its ZIRP. 46 million on Food Stamps, oh yes the economy is BOOMING.

Anyone congratulating obama for this is forgetting who benefits – the top 1% that own 60% of all stocks.

but then i wouldnt expect anyone that voted for obama to understand this most basic of economic facts.

Jan 04, 2013 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Louclave admonishes: “Anyone congratulating obama for this is forgetting who benefits – the top 1% that own 60% of all stocks. But then i wouldnt expect anyone that voted for obama to understand this most basic of economic facts.”

Well, like many Americans, instead of crying the last 4 years away…. I’ve been investing. You know, buy low. Did you know that Bank of America stock went up 600% in the first year after Obama was elected? In early 2009, I bought 10,000 shares at $2.88 and sold at $17.87 a year later. You were free to do the same, Loucleve. Unless you were one of the many suckers who bought it earlier at $40 and sold it at $8 in the panic. Gotta watch those things. Never buy a hot stock after it’s hot. Everybody is doing it. :)

Jan 04, 2013 6:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@AlkalineState

We sold our children out for a stagnant economy instead of a recession. This is going to come crashing down if we don’t do something soon and 100 billion in new taxes a year won’t fix it.

Jan 04, 2013 11:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@TheNewWorld

In what way is “S&P 500 finishes at 5-year high on economic data” stagnant?

Let me guess… it is stagnant because Fox or some right-wing blog told you so, and your faith in Fox trumps reality.

Jan 05, 2013 1:06am EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@Abulafiah

The last time we were at this level was 5 years ago. Same number in 2008 as we are right now, isn’t 5 years of growth. Granted there was a crash, and you did well on an individual stock. But across 5 years 100 in stocks is now back to 100 in stocks, and after adjusting for inflation it is still down. I don’t watch Fox but if you think 5 years of 0 net growth isn’t stagnation, maybe you should start listening to other points of view.

Jan 05, 2013 1:40am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@TheNewWorld

So you are saying the figures are wrong?

No surprise there… you just can’t handle the idea that the S&P 500 has got better and better under Obama.

You are also, as always, factually wrong. The last time they were at the current level was December 2007, just before the Republicans recession. After that it fell to pieces, losing 37% through 2008 and bottomed out in March 2009. From there, it has, indeed, climbed.

To call that growth ‘stagnation’ is both childish and ideological cherry-picking of figures.

Jan 05, 2013 6:13am EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@Abulafiah

I didn’t make a single statement about Obama, or Democrats, or Republicans. You did. I made the accurate statement that is said in the article’s title. We were at this level 5 years ago. Over the last 5 years we went into debt over $5 trillion dollars for a stagnant economy. You can nitpick December 2007 and January 2008, fine.

How about you do this. Search for stagnant or stangnation on this web site. You will find many articles stating exactly what I said. Here is a clue, slow growth that does not outpace inflation = stagnation. Jobs gained that does not outpace the number of new workers joining the job force isn’t truly job growth. I am sure you are well aware of this, you would have been screaming that we are entering a new recession if Romney had won.

Jan 05, 2013 1:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@TheNewWorld

Go on then… pretend the recession never happened. Pretend stocks never fell by 37% in 2008. pretend that they didn’t need to grow to undo the damage Republicans did. You are such a FoxBot.

Your argument makes as much sense as saying that a car pulling away from the traffic lights is not accelerating because he was going at the same speed before he stopped.

In fact it is worse than that – by your Fox redefinition of ‘stagnation’, the only way for the market to not be stagnant is to reach a record high, otherwise you can say “aaaaah but… it was at this level in X – stagnation!”

What a joke…

Jan 05, 2013 9:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.