Mediocre job growth points to slow grind for U.S. economy

Comments (54)
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

3.5 Million people graduate from college each year. About 750,000 of them go off to grad school. That means we need to add 225,000 jobs per month to employ these college students. This isn’t even counting high school graduates who don’t go to college and need work. Any NFP number under 225,000 is a bad number. 155K is a bad number.

Jan 04, 2013 8:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
texas100 wrote:

Unfortunately, the current Administration’s Tax, Spend & Regulatory policies will do little to provide small business, the primary job engine for this country, with the certainty they need to invest for growth..
We will look back on Obama’s 2 terms as a ‘lost decade’ of diminished dreams and opportunities, especially for the young, who will suffer from european style high unemployment.
Then the “bill” will come due for Obama’s Trillions of New Debt, with no way to pay except for even higher taxes.
The Next President will refer to Obama the way he did about Bush.. Dumb and Dumber….

Jan 04, 2013 9:01am EST  --  Report as abuse
byrond2 wrote:

The number of employed Americans is about the same as it was in 2005, yet the US population has increased by about 20 million people in that time. That coincides quite well with the 20 million plus figure that is thrown around. And we did not gain jobs in December, the unadjusted data says that we lost 243,000. I guess the good news is that we gained 1.8 million jobs in 2012, but the population increased twice that, so it’s not really good it’s scary.

Jan 04, 2013 9:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@texas100, once again another rightie that knows how to vilify but does not how to fact check, to quote you…’the current Administration’s Tax, Spend & Regulatory policies ‘. so if Obama is such a ‘spender’ please explain how Federal government spending has risen the smallest in his first term in the last 60 years?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/may/23/facebook-posts/viral-facebook-post-says-barack-obama-has-lowest-s/

Jan 04, 2013 10:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

Imagine how much better the job market would be if the government was participating in the job gains, like it should be, instead of acting like a drag on the job numbers. In essence the private job market is doing fine, it is the public sector job losses that are holding us back more then anything else.

Jan 04, 2013 10:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
mountainrose wrote:

According to the labor dept 370,000 people lost their jobs last week x 4 weeks = 1.48 million. They say the economy added 155K new jobs. You can safely assume the people who lost their jobs will not be making more money on their new jobs than they were on their old ones. With a shrinking tax base maybe there is a correlation between the record $3.7 trillion in muni debt out there and those numbers. I preferred the USA today headline: Economy finishes 2012 with 15K more jobs

Jan 04, 2013 11:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
mountainrose wrote:

The busted credit bubble took out $1.3 trillion in annual GDP activity.There is not a serious economist out there who will not tell you that not for massive increases in federal spending since 07 real GDP growth in the US would not be 5-% a year since 07.Of course that program cant go on forever

Jan 04, 2013 11:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
klondiker1 wrote:

I believe that most of the jobs they were so exited about was the holiday part time hires and now they are going to be laid off or have been already. Never the less with a Congress like we have now it may be sometime before anyone is working a full time job. I am a carpenter and life is not good.A number of my x co-workers get hired for a month and let go again. Let me ask this?? we saved the auto industry which does have a lot of people involved but the real losers are the Carpenters that built your shop, stores, homes, and any other thing you needed. there is more need for carpenters than one part of the auto industry.Where is our bail out? Carpenters are losing there homes, cars, business’s,tools healthcare. insurance, and food. Our government is not honest,trustworthy,and or realistic. worst part is the government seems to think the middle East is more important than it’s own people.

Jan 04, 2013 11:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
ConradU812 wrote:

@USAPragmatist wrote: “please explain how Federal government spending has risen the smallest in his first term in the last 60 years?”

Are you conveniently omitting the bailouts? Or blaming them all on Bush? I realize that nothing will ever be Obama’s fault, in your eyes. Or that you won’t ever be wrong. Your delusions are of little consequence, or practical application, to what is happening in reality.

“Most economists expect the U.S. economy will be held back by tax hikes this year as well as by weak spending by households and businesses, which are still trying to reduce their debt burdens.”

Yet the current administration wants to raise the debt ceiling? Why? Revenue is declining, taxes are increasing, jobs are leaving. Supporters of big government can spout all the labor industry statistics they want, but it doesn’t change reality.

Jan 04, 2013 12:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

ConradU812 wrote:
“Yet the current administration wants to raise the debt ceiling? Why?”

To pay for spending that has already been agreed by the Republican dominated congress.

What did you think it was for?

Jan 04, 2013 12:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@ConradU812, the Bailouts you refer to, I assume you mean TARP, were enacted in Sept/Oct 2008, Obama did not take the Presidency until Jan 2009. Also you mention not raising the debt ceiling, so basically you are advocating having the USA default on it’s debt, do you even understand the ramifications of this? you also say ‘Revenue is declining’, actually it isn’t…… http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/revenue_history

As you can see since the drop in 08 revenue has been steadily increasing. you also say ‘Jobs are leaving’, if jobs are leaving, then how have we had over 2 years + of private sector job growth?

Lastly you say ‘Supporters of big government can spout all the labor industry statistics they want, but it doesn’t change reality.’ So are you joining the ‘BLS cooks its numbers’ conspiracy theory? Hell I need to buy stock in tin foil, because there a lot of tin foil hats being made.

Just another factually challenged rightie/Obama hater who finds it much easier to vilify then to actually check on the facts. When you think everyone else is the problem then most likely YOU are the problem.

Jan 04, 2013 1:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

The middle-men have come to expect exponential growth, all the time. Sometimes, steady growth is what you get. It’s still growth and it’s still still pretty good. If you don’t like it, move to Greece :)

Jan 04, 2013 1:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

USAPragmatist uttered thusly…
“When you think everyone else is the problem then most likely YOU are the problem.”

Funny you should say that because you just described to a tee Obama. For years he has continually pointed his finger everywhere except at himself.

Jan 04, 2013 1:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Shattered2012 wrote:

CIS reported that 67% of all new job growth in the U.S. goes to foreign born immigrants mostly legal but also illegal. These are very low paying jobs so it’s not surprise that Pew reported these very same people are driving up welfare and social costs which you the shrinking middle and blue collar classes have to pay for.

Government employees just got a raise; however, and there are now more than 23 million of them in the U.S.. That’s a LOT of government workers to pay for.

The politicians continue to attach numerous expensive pork barrel projects to almost every piece of legislation.

U.S. trade is broken. We’re almost the only country in the world that doesn’t use VATs to protect our own economy and work force… or what’s left of it as it’s in shambles. Tarrifs were made illegal by the many “free” trade contracts our politicians put into effect.

And, the way government accounts for things in ridiculous ways to make it look better than it actually is.

Jan 04, 2013 1:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ConradU812 wrote:

@USAPragmatist,

If revenue is not declining, then why the need for a debt ceiling increase? Because the federal government is spending more than it is receiving….it’s not rocket science.

The private sector job growth is offset or nullified by the job losses.

As to the “BLS cooks its numbers”, explain why the difference between the U-3 and the U-6 report is greater in the past four years than it has ever been, even going back to FDR? That’s not a theory, just reports from the BLS.

So, continue clinging to your widget factory theories and blind faith in a failed government economic plan. I reiterate, it doesn’t change reality.

Jan 04, 2013 1:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Alpha_Blogger wrote:

The government adjusted November upward to make it look like the unemployment did not go up in December. This just makes you want to cry, even just reporting a number requires lying. I can’t imagine what the next four years are going to be like.

Jan 04, 2013 2:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Alpha_Blogger wrote:

The government adjusted November upward to make it look like the unemployment did not go up in December. This just makes you want to cry, even just reporting a number requires lying. I can’t imagine what the next four years are going to be like.

Jan 04, 2013 2:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

Really…let me go get some rose colored glass

Jan 04, 2013 2:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

John1980
Hit post comment once please

Jan 04, 2013 2:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@ConradU812, to quote you ‘The private sector job growth is offset or nullified by the job losses.’ When this monthly employment report says ‘jobs gained’ it does not mean new nobs, it is NET new jobs, so e.g. if 500,000 jobs were lost and 1,000,000 jobs where created in a a month this report would say 500,000 jobs created. So this report said 155,000 jobs OVERALL where added last month, so how is this ‘nullified’ by the job losses, if it was nullified it would be zero or negative.

The difference between the U-3 and U-6 numbers are simple, U-6 includes ‘able bodied’ individuals that have ‘given-up’ looking for work, there is no hiding of this, these numbers have always been calculated the same and the U-3 has always been the most generally reported number, no change here in the last 4 years(besides having the worst recession since the 1930′s causing many people to ‘give-up’ in their job search), just more conspiracy theories from the crack pots like you. And in fact Obama has proposed many things, like job training programs, to help those that have given up looking(the U-6 people) because they need training in the ‘new economy’, and guess what the GOP has blocked everyone of these plans.

Jan 04, 2013 2:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@sjfella, please post ONE quote from President Obama where he has ‘continually pointed his finger everywhere except at himself.’ Like I have said before it is a lot easier to vilify then to prove your assertions.

Jan 04, 2013 2:24pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAprag and everyone else
I think your numbers were incomparision to the previous budget. Not a surprise. See below and the reality sets in. I am surprised you didn’t do you homework…

http://www.usnews.com/pubdbimages/image/31504/Federal_Spending425x283.jpg

http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/images/us-size-spending-by-president.jpg

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/VE-PRESIDENTIAL-SPENDING-R2.png

Jan 04, 2013 2:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist
Based on the past spending yes but everything else your theory does not hold water

Jan 04, 2013 2:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist
“In essence the private job market is doing fine, it is the public sector job losses that are holding us back more then anything else.”

Yeah some else said that too…big govt will save us all. What happens when everyone is employed in the public sector? Where will the govt get it’s tax dollars to pay it’s employees???

Jan 04, 2013 2:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAprag
so if Obama is such a ‘spender’ please explain how Federal government spending has risen the smallest in his first term in the last 60 years?

I keep reading this and laughing…in percent to the previous…seriously…more reality for you enjoy…in relation to revenue he’s the….WORST

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=739&tbm=isch&tbnid=ks4ADYsEILY4cM:&imgrefurl=http://boghieonyoursix.blogspot.com/2012/05/federal-revenue-and-spending-since.html&docid=UPRPm9VqGnbRcM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4mi9dx9dvFA/T6Vj5-D6TAI/AAAAAAAAABE/g7w8Tl8u9kE/s1600/RevenueSpending.JPG&w=840&h=533&ei=izLnUOWrH5LJqQH_6oFY&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=425&sig=111775991990788854284&page=2&tbnh=137&tbnw=216&start=20&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:23,s:0,i:167&tx=87&ty=47

Jan 04, 2013 2:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist
‘continually pointed his finger everywhere except at himself.’
Susan Rice…and what happened there
Benghazi…it’s a video

Jan 04, 2013 2:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bates148 wrote:

@USAPragmatist Avoiding the truth once more. Keep on ranting without providing any real facts. You and your friend flashrooster do a marvelous job of this.

Let’s start: “please post ONE quote from President Obama where he has ‘continually pointed his finger everywhere except at himself.”

I hope you’re joking, but unfortunately I don’t think you are. Mr Obama has blamed everything and everyone, even ATM machines. And have you ever heard of George W. Bush? Mr Obama has been blaming him from the beginning. I’ll turn the question on you, can you provide a quote from Obama where he points blame at himself? I haven’t been able to find many.

You can find your quote here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-claim-that-90-percent-of-the-current-deficit-is-due-to-bush-policies/2012/09/26/e9bfbcd0-077e-11e2-a10c-fa5a255a9258_blog.html

You can also find that your earlier statement: “Federal government spending has risen the smallest in his first term in the last 60 years” has been debunked and your politifact link only said it was “half true.” It looks like you didn’t pick that up…

As given in the link, here are a list of site’s that have debunked your statement:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-facts-about-the-growth-of-spending-under-obama/2012/05/24/gJQAIJh6nU_blog.html

http://factcheck.org/2012/06/obamas-spending-inferno-or-not/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/27/obama-thrifty-spending-claim-uses-some-creative-accounting/

Please try to prove your own assertions before telling others to do so.

Jan 04, 2013 3:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@crash866 thank you for all the links proving my point that spending during Obama’s first four years has risen the smallest in 60 years. From your graphs one can see that the big jump was from 2008 to 2009, when the FY 2009 budget kicked in, that of course was not Obama’s doing but the previous Admin/Congress.

Secondly, Obama never blamed Susan Rice, in fact many times he said if you going to come after anyone, come after me. And as has been reported, the video was probably used as cover by the Benghazi attackers. Once again looking for DIRECT quotes where Obama is blaming others. I will say it again, it is very easy to vilify, but much harder to back up your assertions with facts.

Jan 04, 2013 3:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Rich54 wrote:

Jan 04, 2013 12:58pm EST —
USAPragmatist wrote:
@ConradU812, the Bailouts you refer to, I assume you mean TARP, were enacted in Sept/Oct 2008, Obama did not take the Presidency until Jan 2009. Also you mention not raising the debt ceiling, so basically you are advocating having the USA default on it’s debt, do you even understand the ramifications of this? you also say ‘Revenue is declining’, actually it isn’t…… http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/revenue_history

As you can see since the drop in 08 revenue has been steadily increasing. you also say ‘Jobs are leaving’, if jobs are leaving, then how have we had over 2 years + of private sector job growth?

Lastly you say ‘Supporters of big government can spout all the labor industry statistics they want, but it doesn’t change reality.’ So are you joining the ‘BLS cooks its numbers’ conspiracy theory? Hell I need to buy stock in tin foil, because there a lot of tin foil hats being made.

Just another factually challenged rightie/Obama hater who finds it much easier to vilify then to actually check on the facts. When you think everyone else is the problem then most likely YOU are the problem.

Lat time I looked the Democrats held congress in 2008??? Correcty????

Jan 04, 2013 3:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@bates148, your first two links are more proof for my assertions that Obama has not increased spending like you and others say he has, thank you. (I did not even bother looking at FOX link, everyone knows they are not a reliable source, and Wasington Post is borderline) And that quote does not blame anyone, it is simply a well thought out explanation of what the biggest contributors are to our deficits.

See here is the problem with those like you, they are so concerned about how they can vilify the President that even when the facts are right in front of them they refuse to see them for what they are.

Jan 04, 2013 3:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Bates148 asks: “can you provide a quote from Obama where he points blame at himself?”

“I am ultimately responsible for what’s taking place there.” -President Barack Obama regarding the Benghazi attack. Televised debate, October 16, 2012.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/10/16/debate-quote-president-obama-on-libya-i-am-ultimately-responsible/

Need us to Google anything else for you? :)

Jan 04, 2013 4:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist
See what bates148 has said.

Also the links I sent show Obama spening more that previous. Your arguement, correct but weak at best is based on perecnt of spending by percentage in relation to previous anminstrations not total dollars spent. Obama’s spening has risen by just under 1.5 percent compared to Bush.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spending+by+president&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=28F1C28FC5B80FDD7E4BN5AFB6C59068D9D216152&selectedIndex=7

But total spending he leads the pack
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spending+by+president&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=D6F01296B1E4B6BE516A0190D66E78E4DB2B85BD&selectedIndex=0

He said “come after me” that’s point a finger at someone and provoking them.

Jan 04, 2013 4:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist
No answer on the Benghazi question…he pointed his finger at a video. Notice how that video issue has just disappeared??? It was a contrived story or lie if you please to distract fron the truth. Yes he pointed at a VIDEO and blamed it for what happened knowing it was not the truth!!!

Jan 04, 2013 4:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ConradU812 wrote:

@USAPragmatist, The Net Gain you’re speaking of is a red herring deployed to distract the gullible. They are later changed (on average, a week later), to reflect a substantially different number, more often than not at a loss.

The discrepancies between the U-3 and U-6 report are substantially more under the current administration than under any other (2%-4% increase). Your refuting these facts don’t alter them, so live with it.

Your dogmatic tendency to only read articles which suit your agenda retards your ability to gain any insight to the holostic picture. Your response to anyone who disagrees with you is to call them a crackpot, wich is a reversion, on your part, to grade school name calling. It also says a lot about your character.

Jan 04, 2013 4:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PKFA wrote:

To quote Mark Twain, “There are lies, damn lies and statistics”. It’s admirable for posters to offer “proof” for their arguments, but in today’s google-driven world it is possible to obtain proof for virtually any position (that notwithstanding, someone is probably going to demand that I “prove” that statement with examples- do your own homework).

I’m concerned for my children and grandchildren. I am old enough to remember the energy boom (and bust), the dot com boom (and bust), 15% mortgages, 8+% inflation, stock market crashes, and an “unprecedented” bull market. I remember the cold war and the US emerging as the world’s only superpower. I remember, Neil Armstrong’s moon landing and, with the exception of Jimmy Carter’s “sense of malaise”, an optimism shared by those I encountered in daily life. I’m concerned for my decedents because I see my home nation in decline. I see their tab for our spending getting larger and larger each year (go look it up).

I remember JFK saying, “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country”. I hear now, “what’s in it for me?” from all quarters. I remember integrity; now I see “pragmatism”. I remember negotiation; now I see gridlock. I remember rock and roll- a life before MTV and Snookie & jwooww, and its impression on our young people. And, as it applies to jobs, I remember when an employer Union or not) treated you fairly, and you kept a job more than a year and if you left you gave 2 weeks’ notice.

I am disgusted by the masses today who believe they are entitled to the labors of others. Who have a list of “rights” 100 times their responsibilities. I pity our citizens who feel so downtrodden that they think it’s perfectly all right to take whatever they can get from the government; and I condemn rich and poor alike who game the system for their own benefit; and I curse the political class that enjoys the power of the purse that contains my money.

There is a basic reason why job growth and our economy are stagnant. It won’t show up in any statistical analysis, because it’s not a matter of quantity- it’s a matter of quality. It’s a matter of high school grads who can’t read, and college grads who don’t have workplace skills. It’s a matter of young people’e expectations being set artificially high by the media, and then reality rearing its ugly head. It’s a loss of spirit. A pettiness; a meanness. Reflected in the shrillness of the media, the polarization of the electorate and the demands of the citizens for their “fair share”.

Yet I know that, like the frog in the water pot, we all adapt. I see it in the posters; I hear it in the words of those I encounter. People are willing to put up with so much less today than they were when I was their age. And they think it’s ok. And they don’t have the experience to know anything else. I’m concerned for our children and grandchildren. More, I weep for them.

Jan 04, 2013 4:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

AlkalineState
He backed down from the fight for Susan Rice after instigating it. They played her like a fiddle, used her…when it came time to defend he said “bring it” and then faded away but that was the plan all along if the video hood wink story blew it in his face as it did. Chicago politics at its best!!!

Jan 04, 2013 4:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAprag
“And as has been reported, the video was probably used as cover by the Benghazi attackers.”

AYFKM!!!!

So did attackers tell Rice, Cliton & Obama to use that story also…

Jan 04, 2013 4:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse

USAPragmatist, Here’s the finger you you were looking for. Can you see it?

Jan 04, 2013 5:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Well, you republicans gave it your best shot. Romney tried to use that Benghazi zinger in a debate and got the facts wrong. He ended up looking like a douche, trying to score political points on dead people. Donald Trump looked over that Hawaiian birth certificate with a magnifying glass, twenty-seven times. You guys even formed a tea party to show your new-found outrage at federal overstepping (the Patriot Act and the No-Child-Left-Behind Act and expanding Medicare by a trillion dollars under Bush did not do it for you. And those happened BEFORE you re-elected him). You guys have been very busy these past 4 years and you did everything but….. govern :)

Now the economy is improving and moving on without you. Better luck in 2016. Good times.

Jan 04, 2013 6:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Mediocre job growth points to need for additional fiscal stimulus. (And for those who believe that the last fiscal stimulus did not work please read the non-partisan CBO report.)

Jan 04, 2013 8:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
geezer117 wrote:

Well, how could this possibly be? All the media assured us in the election run-up that Obama had solved the problem and unemployment was improving. Guess that dirty George Bush is still causing trouble.

Jan 05, 2013 8:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.