White House talks don't include NRA: gun group president

Comments (8)
GeorgeDutton wrote:

To me its real funny how the media and politicians are against armed guards at schools considering Obamas kids has 11 extremely armed guards at the school they attend.

Dec 28, 2012 6:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
cyunvwyatt1 wrote:

We the people are irrelivant, Our Supreme Leaders are going to tell us what we are to do for they are our supreme rulers of this America.

Dec 28, 2012 6:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
revamadison wrote:

I hope that the NRA will get some say in this, the last meeting before final decisions are made. After all, they are the largest civilian group of gun owners, probably in the whole world, and in the past have done some excellent things for owners and legal users of guns. The problem has been there long-term refusal to realize and understand that there are rules and regulations that must be put in place, and that the second amendment doesn’t say any and every person may own and bear just any weapon that themselves decides it means. The NRA leadership has got to stop insisting that their way is the only way. I believe the membership understands this, but has been bullied into support of the organizations rampant right wing, with downright lies and stretching of truth. Do they really think that just putting an armed guard in every school is going to solve all the problems? If so, they need to resign and go live in their tunnels with their stock of guns, ammo, water, and food. Let the moderates take back the organization they built in the 50s and 60s. Then I, and a multitude of others might say they represent me again.

Dec 28, 2012 7:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaycasey wrote:

Until the NRA shows at least an iota of reasonableness they don’t belong in any discussion.

Dec 29, 2012 5:06am EST  --  Report as abuse
suemarie000 wrote:

One HUGH piece of news that ALL of America needs to know about is that Obama, Biden and Holder are pushing for non-citizens who are here legally to have an easier path to purchase guns. This blows me away. As a natural born citizen of America..my President is trying to make it HARDER for me to get a gun all the while he relaxes laws for immigrants. Google it if you doubt me…it’s all there.

Dec 30, 2012 10:16am EST  --  Report as abuse
reality-again wrote:

The NRA has much say, obviously, but judging by what they’ve said so far, what they have to say is frivolous and has no merit for the broad public who’s concerned about our deteriorated safety.
Obama and Biden should rather listen more to teachers, firefighters and policemen, and take into consideration what they have to say about being shot and killed by psychopaths and criminals.

My advice to the NRA would be: When you have nothing to say, don’t insist on saying it.

Dec 30, 2012 10:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
SkippingDog wrote:

There’s not much point in including the NRA, since they’ve already stated their position and claim they have no further movement to make. Their presence would only serve to obstruct things now, so they’ve effectively eliminated themselves and their membership from any meaningful discussion on proposed policies.

Dec 30, 2012 3:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Evo1 wrote:

Just proves that all the BS about “dialogue” and “respect for the 2nd Amendment” is just political code for “we want to ban all guns, and anyone who disagrees has no place at the table.” Never mind that they are just about the most powerful lobby in Washington precisely because they have a massive membership of politically active voters. Whatever their opinion, or your opinion of them, they represent the views of millions of dues-paying members whose views on what, if anything, should be done, are every bit as relevant as anyone else’s. The fact that the White House, and commenters on here, simply dismiss their views is proof that they don’t want an honest dialogue with anyone except those who already agree with them, and intend to shove their own political agenda down everyone else’s throat, like it or not. Democracy isn’t about ignoring the half of the country with whom you disagree, or dismissing their opinions because they conflict with yours. Calling them unreasonable simply because they won’t bend to your point of view is just dishonest and juvenile.

Jan 02, 2013 3:11am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.