In Indian student's gang rape, murder, two worlds collide

orchids wrote:

It is not only in India where rape takes place, in most African countries it is a daily savage act which includes little toddlers…….the big wide world never hears about this. There is just no more respect and honor in society and the time has come for governments to take responsibilities for each and every citizen and pay less attention to greed and self enrichment.

Dec 31, 2012 1:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
Reuters1945 wrote:

When Worlds Collide

The pain all people throughout the world have experienced since learning of the death of “Amanat” is too profound to put into words.

The crime perpetrated against this innocent young woman in India, who had her whole life before her like a radiant carpet of green stretching out into Eternity, has been to our brains and hearts like the sudden gong of a deafening bell.

It is as if the attack upon Amanat was one great attack on all decent, caring, sentient, people everywhere on this Earth.

We try to make some sense of it in order to escape the pain of knowing that Amanat did not survive to welcome with her friends and Family, the arrival of the new year with all its countless possibilities and promises.

Two worlds have indeed collided. The world of Darkness and the world of Light. The world of Evil and the world of Good. The world of people who take from the world and the world of people who add something to the world.

I would like to place here in Amanat’s honor, a small part of one of the most beautiful poems in the English language, in all the world.

In some strange, haunting and very mystical way it seems to capture a little portion of what all decent people all over the world have been feeling since Amanat’s funeral.

This poem is for you, Amanat. May you ascend to Heaven on Angel’s wings. You will remain in our hearts forever.
_________________________________________________________

“The Day is Done”

By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 – 1882)

THE DAY is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
And a feeling of sadness comes o’er me
That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.
________________________________

Dec 31, 2012 3:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
julri wrote:

Savages! Put them all down like the rabid dogs they are!

Dec 31, 2012 6:56am EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

Lets make a big issue out of something in another country we can do nothing about, OK? Let’s drag this thing out for a year, have moments of silence, put the woman’s name on football uniforms, have debates, talk shows. etc. etc. etc. As if no women are raped and killed in the US. Enough already. Unless of course we want to go to war with India and force our views on them like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Dec 31, 2012 7:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

For these psychotic KILLERS, I would support about 10 days of continuous and barbaric torture prior to beheading them in a public square, with a dull and rusty hand saw! Don’t get me wrong, I have every intention of being NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT with this comment! There is a level of behavior that some humans can reach, that deserves “an eye for an eye” retaliation!

Dec 31, 2012 7:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
Lemanve wrote:

I am of the same age as the victim. I may have yet seen little in my life but I feel very compassionate and gather in sorrow with the family and friends of this poor soul.

Regarding the soulless savages who committed this terrible crime, I can only wish that Nation of India, through its courts of law, finds a punishment that gives at least a little relief.

The degree of degradation these people brought upon that young and promising girl is unspeakable.

Rest in peace.

Dec 31, 2012 9:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
tmc wrote:

No JamVee, it dosen’t. Ever.

Dec 31, 2012 9:27am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

People are so very sick. For a while, when I was more naive, I thought at one point man could fix his own problems. But politics continues to degrade back to feudalism and plenty of low-brow savages still roam the streets as this proves.

I don’t understand ‘rape’ – the need to feel power over another person… but you know, maybe that need to ‘feel power’ is making up for ‘shortcomings’ between their legs.

Dec 31, 2012 10:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

Dec 31, 2012 10:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
ncshu2 wrote:

I think we should think hard about what has rendered these men capable of committing such savage act. Are there any social economic reasons behind this tragedy or just odd thing happened? If there are indeed some social economic reasons behind this, what can we do to make this kind of tragedy less likely? Would improvements of some people’s life so that their lives were not a daily struggle and they could also live with some hope rather than immense anger and resentment, help to reduce the odds of such gruesome tragedy? I think the title of the article is quite suitable to impel these necessary thoughts.

Dec 31, 2012 10:11am EST  --  Report as abuse
Dilbert314159 wrote:

I can not even imagine the horror the poor woman suffered during (and after) the attack. That hour must have seemed like eternity in hell. May she find the peace in death that life denied her. And may her friend quickly recover from his injuries, both physical and mental. I hope the the dear man is not dealing with guilt that he was unable to protect his friend, despite his brave efforts. Survivor’s guilt is a horrible burden for anyone to bear.

Finally, I hope that meaningful reform and social growth are the end result of this tragedy.

Dec 31, 2012 3:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
trevorh wrote:

Looking at a few comments. All I can say is it is sad that people are simply incapable of seeing the deeper problem.

Too many people existing without meaning or purpose, other than the primary purpose written in their code, make more of themselves. The end result is always the same.

Fighting and killing for resources, for living space and in as in a highly imbalance society, fighting for a mate. China also has an imbalance like India, but physiology of East Asians is different so the problem has not expressed out in this destructive visible form yet.

Yet the theologian, pseudo-intellects, pseudo-scientists still want the selfish to have more more and more. The more fighting will be suppressed by taking away guns, swords, knife, and then sharp objects. The fighting will also be monitored and ‘prevented’ by the watchful eyes of the government and the ever more extensive surveillance system.

All that the thoughtful people can do is painfully watching all of this unfolding and worsening, living through all of this and still keep our hope, the true hope, the real hope, alive…

Dec 31, 2012 6:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
QuietThinker wrote:

Many people of India are trying to take a step forward against rape and primitive attitudes against women. I wish I could help further their cause. Yet, here in America, we still have politicians asking us to move backwards. The Republican party had not one, but two U.S. Senate candidates (Mourdock of Indiana & Akin of Missouri) make publicly make insane comments about rape. The fight against evil is unending.

Dec 31, 2012 6:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jeff81201 wrote:

Yes, but Akin and Mourdock both lost races that they should have easily won, thank God!

americanguy – please don’t speak for me, thank you.

One World.

Dec 31, 2012 8:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse

As reported above: “…Last year, a rape was reported on average every 20 minutes in India…”. In my mind, women, girls and boys Raping operations take less than this percentage in European and Western Countries. Due to the absence of total proper treatment. Regarding the Faith and Religious Concepts and God fearing. The opposite, rape is rarely and less happened in among Arabs. Because. Islam is the Religion on which all human rights based under good system.
Today’s worlds need to a system. The system on which they deal with eachother in peace and understanding.

Jan 01, 2013 2:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
DeSwiss wrote:

”…the gang rape and murder of a medical student caught Indian authorities and political parties flat-footed, slow to see that the assault on a private bus had come to symbolize an epidemic of crime against women.”

They have a new miracle drug that will cure this…. it’s called ”Elect Women Leaders.” And judges. Lots.

Jan 01, 2013 4:56am EST  --  Report as abuse