Analysis: U.S. arms sales to Asia set to boom on Pacific "pivot"

Comments (35)
tmc wrote:

Can’t we make money some other way?

Jan 01, 2013 3:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Foxdrake_360 wrote:

Great, another war…

Jan 01, 2013 3:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RK_France wrote:

In the short run, arms sales might be good for the American economy. In the long run, unethical means of making money come back to haunt! Hope these arm sales won’t come back to haunt the USA in the longer run!!

Jan 01, 2013 4:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BillDexter wrote:

If we don’t, someone else will.

Jan 01, 2013 5:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeBrown wrote:

Keep pushing the image of big scary China so that the weapons makers can laugh all the way to the bank. Just keep the idea of imminent war with someone, anyone, on the front pages and the profits will role in!

Jan 01, 2013 5:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Pterosaur wrote:

Some countries export cars, others export tools and electronics, and still others export clothes and shoes, we export wars and deaths, misery and broken families. I am not proud of it…

Jan 01, 2013 7:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
auger wrote:

Not content to profit from our domestic demise, the arms industry spreads it’s tentacles outward. America has embraced weapons for both security and for profit. Can we have both?

Jan 01, 2013 7:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Free_Pacific wrote:

@Pterosaur

You hate India, Vietnam, Philippines and the rest of the Asia-Pacific countries in most your posts. You also yell praise when China launches some new weapon. And here you are, claiming to be disgusted by weapons.

You also claim Im pro-British, despite never mentioning this country (The mind boggles). Have read your comments on ‘caucasians’. Typical Chinese nationalist claiming to be the victim while attacking everything around you. This is why you will never be welcome beyond the mainland.

We

Jan 01, 2013 7:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

The US is the biggest merchant of death, war, and destruction on the planet. All US factories make now are things that kill, everything else is made in other countries for more profits. The US invades countries, occupies, and kills civilians by the tens of thousands. If you think about it, the US is mainly responsible for almost all conflicts on the planet. The US is ruled by the wealthy who make hundreds of billions off wars each year. There is very little difference in the US and Nazi Germany. Someone will put us in our place eventually, most likely God, and the world will be more beautiful and peaceful.

Jan 01, 2013 8:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

The US is the biggest merchant of death, war, and destruction on the planet. All US factories make now are things that kill, everything else is made in other countries for more profits. The US invades countries, occupies, and kills civilians by the tens of thousands. If you think about it, the US is mainly responsible for almost all conflicts on the planet. The US is ruled by the wealthy who make hundreds of billions off wars each year. There is very little difference in the US and Nazi Germany. Someone will put us in our place eventually, most likely God, and the world will be more beautiful and peaceful.

Jan 01, 2013 8:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SomeoneUKnow wrote:

It sounds bad, but we need to sell these arms to these countries. If we do not, China will roll right over them.

Jan 02, 2013 12:07am EST  --  Report as abuse
Pterosaur wrote:

Free_Pacific said “You hate Vietnam, India, and Philipines…”

Do not recognise their occupied land or islands being theirs is far from hating them. On the contrary, I feel quite disappointed that their greed, coupled with the US right-wing encouragement, lead them to act so wrongly. Asia has suffered from colonialism for too long to forget how “good” intention the West has reserved for them.

Jan 02, 2013 12:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
Pterosaur wrote:

Free_Pacific said “You praise China for some new weapon….”

Well, if you consider the bullet train as some new weapon, I have nothing to say back! Of course, your wish is that Chinese people only have AK47 so that your kind will “free” China and the Pacific like the US “free” Iraq. Good luck… Free Pacific…

Jan 02, 2013 12:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
BlueCannon wrote:

Good idea. Selling arms to them to fight one another is better than US to fight for them.

Jan 02, 2013 4:04am EST  --  Report as abuse
pbgd wrote:

It is the law of unintended consequences again: China starts rattling the sabre, and its neighbors immediately hurry to the US for protection.

Jan 02, 2013 6:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
MikeBarnett wrote:

According to the article, the US produced 78% of the world’s merchants of death in 2012. Jesus would be proud. Peace on earth; good will to all men. There is nothing more peaceful than a corpse, and everyone needs a will when the US does business.

However, the expenditures will reduce the economic potential of US allies. Since economies pay for armed forces and their technological tools, US allies will have weaker armed forces in the future. The US will have economically weaker trading partners, so the US will have weaker armed forces in the future.

China has no plans for war, so its economy will grow faster. It will develop its armed forces at its own pace without concern for others. It will develop its own military equipment and technology without depending on the US or others. This offers the double advantage of creating a stronger economy and a domestic base for China’s military technology.

Jan 02, 2013 12:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MikeBarnett wrote:

My first comment was a humorous critique of this plan, but there are more serious concerns. If a country arms one side in a war, that country is a legal target for the other side. The US arms Israel and makes itself a legal target for the 13 countries that remain in a legal state of war with Israel. There were 15, but Egypt and Jordan signed peace treaties with Israel. Saudi Arabia is one of the 13 Arab countries at war with Israel; 15 of the 9-11 hijackers and bin Laden came from Saudi Arabia.

US arms for Arabs have programming to prevent their effective use against US and Israeli targets, but allow US arms for Israel to be used against Arabs. The US is not neutral and makes itself a legal target for the Arabs. In addition, changing the hardware and software allows Arabs to attack US and Israeli targets. These arms sales may not be in America’s best interests.

In Asia, China’s government seeks peace, prosperity, and trade, and it is not controlled by the strident type of nationalists who write in some newspapers unlike more democratic politicians in other countries. The US would suffer greater economic losses than China in any conflict in Asia owing to US commercial relationships. China has also built rail and pipeline networks that allow trade through ports and routes that are not on the Pacific, and it has raised domestic consumption, so the US would suffer greater economic disruptions than China.

Jan 02, 2013 2:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Janeallen wrote:

@SomeoneUKnow:

Look at the entire thousands of years of history, including the recent Communist history, China has never invaded Japan, the Philippines, Cambodia, Burma, Australia, Indonesia, Timor, Russia.

Japan— the country we are selling to, has not only invaded all of them, but many of them multiple times, AND WITH THE ACTIVE SUPPORT, FACILITATION FROM OUR “SO CALLED HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER”, THE GOOD OLE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. They rape in an organized fashion as a top-down command; they order massacres and the ultra-obedient Japanese culture caused the soldiers to blindly follow the order to slaughter and the lie as an order to the Japanese people and to the western press. The ultra-obedient Japanese culture also followed the script to depict its country as a pacifist even though the militaristic, predatory, Hitler-philosophy-subscribing politicians NEVER STOPPED BEING RE_ELECTED SINCE 1945. That means Japan has never formed a conscience of compassion for human suffering as it posed to be, and as it is widely believed in the west. The posture of being a victim at Hiroshima is a result of carefully scripted plan to whitewash, mislead the west to continue to look the other way about the indisputable, arguably most horrific war crimes in human history. The war crimes were worse then Hitler’s because (1) it lasted continually from 1890s till 1945s, and continued as emotional torture of the victims by constant defamation, death threat, and harassment, all with the successful garnishing of support from the west, primarily based on the facts that the victims were not Caucasian and their devious, Faustian lies offer the sense of racial superiority to all Caucasians and all Asian-bashers the fake sense of superiority to disguise its racism, depraved heart, and cold-hearted murderous, harassing, defamatory habits. (2) It was supported continually by the west, while Hitler’s war crimes came to an end in 1945.

For that reason, the Japanese war crimes and the suffering exacted from Japan’s victims were many times worse and more prolonged than the suffering created by Hitler.

Yet, Obama, the “Nobel Peace Prize Winner” is actively selling weapons to the one country that has continually, unceasingly, and even now, EVERY DAY, accentuating, prolonging the suffering, inflicting more and more emotional trauma by defamation of the victims of Japanese crimes against humanity.

The latest effort to cause more emotional trauma is to distort the egregiously unfair, racist, legal arrangements as if they are fair rules to be followed, thus falsely accusing the innocent victims of Japanese war crimes as criminals.

And Reuters’s editors egregiously, inhumanely sided with war criminals again, constant placing words like “illegal” and words with intention to cover up, distract and distort in Retuers’s titles.

The only alternative is that Reuters’s editors are so naive or even stupid enough to be fooled— that’s hard to believe, because the editors and the deliberately false disguise of putting non-Japanese sounding reporters’ names on the post, to make the false impression that the defaming title were from the victims! Who is so easily fooled? One doesn’t get to the editor position without having more wits than that! Those were deliberate efforts to support war criminals who committed, and continues to commit harassment of the victims, and descendents of victims, of Japanese expansionist, Nazi war crimes in Asia. Shame on you, Reuters, for standing with immoral acts of the most egregious type, with their whitewashers, and to prolong the suffering the Nazis and their allies inflicted and continues to take advantage under carefully disguised racist arguments to cover up.

I was watching an episode on the Miller’s Forum of the University of Virginia on PBS. An innocent looking Chinese student posed this question after some fear mongering speaker that fanned red scare about China. The student asked, “China has never invaded other countries for the purpose of conquering, colonizing, or ever committed horrendous human rights violation in neighboring countries like Japan has, why is America constantly talking about the threat of China?” The speaker, the so called expert made this absurd response, ” Suppose a big gorilla is getting strong next door, one must be prepared for the possibility of attack.”

The American answer revealed two facts:

The speaker divulged that the reason is because of the speaker projected the tendency of Americans and the Caucasian world’s history of expanding, conquering whenever a country is strong, onto China— which reflects the danger, warmongering tendency of the accuser, not of the accused.

Secondly, this speaker regards the Chinese people as non-human, calling Chinese, a group of people with five thousand years of history of civilization much more advanced than ours for most of those five thousand years, “gorillas”,
Distorting human beings as non-human beings fundamentally violate the human rights of every human person to be respected. And this was done by a speaker invited to speak at the prestigious forum at the University founded by Thomas Jefferson.

What the University of Virginia speaker offered was a classic racist argument, the same type rendered against Afro-Americans to defend slavery and the deprivation of their opportunities for an education or their rights to vote. In the latter case, Afro-Americans were described as not “a person” whom our Constitution referred to as having the equal right to pursue happiness, freedom. (How can any member of a highly civilized culture be happy with being called a gorilla to justify defamatory remarks of over a billion human beings of their race? Wouldn’t that arouse nationalism? Wasn’t Obama’s foreign policy advisors stupid (I mean that word, because there is not other word to replace it) when they, in a racist argument, claims that it is dangerous to allow the Chinese to develop nationalism; yet, they did the most effective thing to promote Chinese nationalism against the United States for knowingly, unfairly shoving them down, defaming them, falsely accusing them, depriving them of fundamental human rights of being respected as human beings of equal rights in the world?)

Also, the talk at the University of Virginia revealed that all experts agree that China had never invaded any of its neighbors for the purpose of conquer or colonization out of racial superiority Nazi theory (even though many ignorant, easily manipulated, folks as well as neo-Japanese Nazis deliberately defame their victims to distract from the historical Japanese war crimes, had made false insinuations and atrocious defamatory accusations).

The current Obama “pivoting” policy endangers world peace, much more than China. China’s human rights record inside China is horrendous, but it has never invaded any neighbor for the purpose of conquering based on theory of racial superiority, even when it did have ample ability and might to do so in history, at various times.

In contrast, Japan has never stopped its official lies, defamation, deliberate manipulation of western reporters, politicians to support a distorted view of its culture, its history, particularly its war history& and continual insistence on owning the loot of its war crimes and its “right” to harass, defame its victims or descendants of its victims.

OBAMA: YOU ARE SELLING ARMS TO REVISIONISTS WORSHIPERS OF NAZI WAR CRIMINALS. THAT MAKES YOU AN ACTIVE DEFENDER OF POLITICAL HEGEMONY, AMERICAN RACIAL SUPERIORITY (WHICH UNDERLIES THE ‘PIVOTING’ POLITICAL DOCTRINES WHEN USED IN IMPERIALISM AS WELL AS IN JAPANESE NAZI AXIS EXPANSIONIST THEORIES), & RELIGIOUS SUPERIORITY(MONROE DOCTRINE).

On Charlie Rose, the current American political commentators who pose to have an “in” with the Obama Administration and its foreign policy advisors, not infrequently invoke the Monroe Doctrine, while deliberately avoiding addressing the part of the doctrine that is absolutely unconstitutional. The Monroe Doctrine declared that the United States of America’s conquering of land was destined by God. In 21st century, after so many examples of Christian distorting the good news in the Bible to support war, I would expect Obama to be the last one to allow such sacrilegious, and unconstitutional ideas to underpin our national policy. I expected Obama to be reigning in warmongering in the name of God or racial superiority due to the special bestowing of favors from God on the United States of America!! Yet, the opposite effect of voting for you happened. Even as the atrocious China-bashing occurred during the campaign for the election of your second term, I thought you might be forced to go along with the ridiculously irrational, with reckless disregard for evidence, because your hands were tied. Now, since the election is over, I have to say that I am extremely extremely disappointed with you, Obama. You have run out of excuses. Either you are a fraud, or a closet selective racist, only against certain Asian groups, or you are absolutely incompetent in distinguishing and sorting out bigoted, unconstitutional, racist, religious-superiority type of advice, and sloppily, unreasonably adopted bad advice for your own official atrocious foreign policy. Amen.

Jan 02, 2013 6:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
WheresMolly wrote:

America is doing they same thing to did to Africa in Asia. They are arming different factions hoping for a conflict and destruction. Shame on anyone defending the actions of corrupt, evil arms/weapons dealers making blood money through political agendas. All the psuedo/poser liberals need to realize that this is being done under the warm and fuzzy Obama administration.

Haven’t we learned from Rwanda and Vietnam?

Jan 02, 2013 6:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

The USA is not forcing anyone to by weapons.

SEA is arming itself against the threat from China because they need to. China is not a friend to SEA. China is the enemy, threatening all their neighbours with an expansionist policy of taking territory from neighbours by force.

Of course SEA arms itself against this obvious threat. They would be stupid to ignore it.

Jan 02, 2013 10:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
WheresMolly wrote:

The Chinese army has not shot a single bullet at another nation in the past 20 yrs, I cannot say the same for America.

China is not trillion dollars in debt paying for wars and the military industrial complex, I cannot say the same for America.

China does not have hundreds of military bases on other people’s land where military rape runs rampant.

Any REAL liberal would be opposed to this war-mongering being pushed by people like Abulafiah.

Jan 02, 2013 11:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
“@Abulafiah: You are either extremely naive and stupid or a paid CIA troll to believe that crap.

Please define “enemy”?”

I know what ‘enemy’ means even if you don’t.

The enemy of a state is someone who threatens the sovereignty of that state. Right now, China has, or is attempting to, threaten or violate the sovereignty of:

1) Tibet
2) Vietnam
3) Japan
4) Philippines
5) Malaysia
6) Indonesia
7) Brunei
8) South Korea
9) India

Why do you act all surprised and horrified when the countries your government is trying to seize territory from, then buy arms from the USA to defend themselves?

Jan 02, 2013 11:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DaveEddleman wrote:

@Abulafiah

China is an extremely intelligent adversary. Their Communist Dictatorship is waging war on all countries in the world, whether it’s physical, economic, or psychological. No physical war has broken out yet, though they have been testing the resolve of the nations they have been threatening, as well as gauging US response to these threats.

We are treaty-bound to protect Japan, as our terms in the WWII treaty does not allow them a standing military in exchange for that protection.

First, they intend to allow the US to destroy itself economically, which we are doing an exceedingly excellent job at, with the current political structure. Some people who blog here encourage this self-destruction under the guise arguing that it is in our best interest. Sadly, many Americans want to believe that there is a “free ride” and go with it

After our economy has crashed, there will be nothing/no one to protect the (currently) free world militarily, in fact, if/when we default on our debt, primarily to them, they will have excellent grounds to demand compensation.

Jan 03, 2013 12:40am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@DaveEddleman

I know China well. I spent 5 years living and working in Beijing, Shanghai, and Xiamen. My wife is ethnic Chinese, but not a PRCer.

Militarily, despite all the nationalistic chest-pounding, the Chinese military is trivial. They resemble the North Korean military more than any modern military – all half-trained cannon fodder using numbers to compensate for poor equipment and training. They are no match for the US military, and the JDF could most likely defeat them without the US.

I think the Chinese leadership know this, and are more interested in taking out US communications to negate the US technological advantage. This would make Chinese man-power much more significant. On that basis, IMO, the rise of cybercrime and the role of Huawei (owned by the Chinese military …) is not being taken seriously enough.

On the other hand, IMO, the economic threat is overstated. First, on official figures the US economy, even in its present weak state, is still twice the size of the Chinese economy. As the Chinese economy is slowing down, it is unlikely they will ever catch up.

Second, there is the Chinese figures themselves. I know how dishonest the Chinese are in business. I know, from first hand observation, that many Chinese business loans are secured against properties that don’t exist. They have deeds, and plans, but the building doesn’t exist. I know, again from first-hand observation, how ‘creative’ Chinese accountants are. They pretty much decide what figures they would like and make the accounts produce those figures.

To imagine that government figures are different is just not credible. They use a different measure of GDP to the rest of the world – this is public knowledge – but even the figures themselves are not to be trusted, and many in the finance world don’t.

As far as I can see China is one big Greece. A big bubble built on unsecured credit, dodgy figures, and pointless production. That will collapse before the USA does.

Jan 03, 2013 1:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
DaveEddleman wrote:

@Abulafiah

Interesting position. I agree with your concerns about communication, but with their current manufacturing capability, the level of technology they are manufacturing, raw materials, and labor force, they dwarf the US’s current manufacturing capabilities.

Your stances on the various issues is an enigma, including your choice of names. I do wish they posted ISP Country of Origin, though that only shows current location, not affiliation.

Jan 03, 2013 2:27am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@DaveEddleman

It only seems enigmatic because you seem to expect me to take sides and be “affiliated”, and get confused because I don’t.

You also read far too much into ‘Abulafiah’. I am a linguist by profession. Abulafiah was a prolific writer with around 30 original manuscripts extant, had a weird linguistic approach to the Kabbalah, and wrote a grammar book. Naturally, I have a professional interest in him.

Jan 03, 2013 9:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
“It makes sense that Abulafiah is a zionist by his anti-Muslim/anti-Chinese stance”

Yeah… I can see how that would make sense. To you.

You are funny… keep it up.

WheresMolly wrote:
“So how exactly is China threatening the sovereignty of the “state” of America?”

Who said it was, apart from you?

WheresMolly wrote:
“Why should we care more about Vietnam (who is communist btw) than America?”

It has nothing to do with caring about anybody. It is about China being a threat that needs containing.

WheresMolly wrote:
“If anything China should be threatened by America’s military in their backyard and continued weapons sales to anyone who even complains about late Chinese food delivery.”

Maybe China should figure out why so many other states feel a need to buy arms from the US to defend themselves against China, and invite the US to base military in their countries.

WheresMolly wrote:
“People hate Israel more than any other country in the world and justly so.”

Yes, they do, and China is a close second for much the same reasons. Both countries have expansionist policies that threaten their neighbours. Both countries ignore ICL and the modern norms of international relations. Both countries are aggressive and have a ‘might is right’ attitude.

I am not really sure what your point is here..

Jan 03, 2013 11:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
@Abulafiah: Are you Jewish or do you just really like Kabbalah?

If you tell me which part of “I have a professional interest” is too difficult for you to understand, I will try to explain it for you.

WheresMolly wrote:
“Just about “containing” what you think is a threat. What gives America the right to “contain” anyone?”

Two things. Defence agreements and China threatening to annex international shipping lanes.

WheresMolly wrote:
“Actually the US forced their bases on Japan after WWII due to Pearl Harbor and the Philippines after the America-Filipino war.”

Really? Prove it – how exactly did the USA force their bases onto Japan and the Philippines. Did they just march in and occupy the land?

WheresMolly wrote:
“Actually, most nations hate America if you count Africans, Latinos, and Arabs.”

So what?

WheresMolly wrote:
“China is nothing like Israel, get you head fixed.”

I have pointed out three ways in which China is like Israel, and you can’t refute them.

Jan 04, 2013 1:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
WheresMolly wrote:

“Two things. Defence agreements and China threatening to annex international shipping lanes.”

So America controlling the Gulf of Mexico,the Persian Gulf, and the Gulf of Panama isn’t enough? They also need to control the S. China Sea? How greedy!

“Really? Prove it – how exactly did the USA force their bases onto Japan and the Philippines. Did they just march in and occupy the land?”

I’m sure the Japanese were too crispy from radiation to think properly when signing an agreement to have their military stripped and a US base on their land. Having a gun pointed to your head doesn’t help either. But I guess Japan deserved it after Pearl Harbor.

As for Subic bay: “By January 1945, the Japanese had all but abandoned Subic Bay. The U.S. Fifth Air Force had dropped 175 tons of bombs on Grande Island evoking only light fire from the skeleton Japanese force manning the anti-aircraft guns. The commander of Japanese forces in the Philippines, General Tomoyuki Yamashita, had withdrawn his forces into defensive mountain positions and ordered Colonel Sanenbou Nagayoshi to block Highway 7 near Subic Bay.

On January 29, 40,000 American troops of the 38th Division and 34th Regimental Combat Team came ashore without resistance at San Antonio, Zambales, by the site of what became known as the San Miguel Naval Communications Station. The column advanced toward Subic Bay, meeting their first resistance at the bridge spanning the Kalaklan River near the Olongapo Cemetery. The Japanese, knowing that they would imminently lose the town, decided to destroy Olongapo. Eventually, the Japanese evacuated the town and the 34th Regiment took over.

The following day, Grande Island was taken and Navy minesweepers began clearing the bay. Engineers of the 38th Division remained in Olongapo to begin reactivation of Subic Bay Naval Station. Bridges, buildings and the water distilling plant were repaired and the beaches and streets were cleared. Soon enough, LSTs were making dry-ramp landings near the town of Subic.”

^So yes, the US pretty much marched into the Asian countries and started taking advantage of their weakness.

” have pointed out three ways in which China is like Israel, and you can’t refute them.”

What have you pointed out? ‘might is right attitude’, ‘expansionist policies’ and ‘norms of international relations’ aren’t facts but subjective statements. Those broad descriptions could describe any country. For example, Britain trying to takeover the Falkland Islands even though it’s nowhere near Europe.

Jan 04, 2013 2:07am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
“So America controlling the Gulf of Mexico,the Persian Gulf, and the Gulf of Panama isn’t enough? They also need to control the S. China Sea? How greedy!”

Does ‘international’ include the USA? Yes or no?

WheresMolly wrote:
“So yes, the US pretty much marched into the Asian countries and started taking advantage of their weakness.”

So, in your opinion, the Japanese should have been allowed to maintain control of SEA and China. I get it now.

WheresMolly wrote:
“What have you pointed out? ‘might is right attitude’, ‘expansionist policies’ and ‘norms of international relations’ aren’t facts but subjective statements”

China expanded its territory into Tibet and the Paracel Islands. That is a fact. Now it is trying to expand into the entire South China Sea. That too is a fact, and by definition expansionist, and parallels Israel’s expansion into Palestinian lands.

The international norm for settling territorial disputes is through international arbitration. China refuses to do that. That is a fact. Israel too ignores the international community.

China took Tibet by force, and took the Paracel Islands by force, is currently trying to take over the Scarborough Shoal and Senkaku Islands by force. These are facts, and the preference of force over arbitration is, by definition, a ‘might is right’ attitude.

WheresMolly wrote:
“For example, Britain trying to takeover the Falkland Islands even though it’s nowhere near Europe.”

Your knowledge is woefully out of date. The British are not trying to take over the Falkland Islands, They already are British, and have been since 1840.

The difference is that the people who live on the Falklands want to be British, whereas those who end up under Chinese rule hate it. The Tibetans set fire to themselves and the Hong Kongers are forever rioting against Chinese rule.

Do you never ask yourself why that is?

Jan 04, 2013 2:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
WheresMolly wrote:

“So, in your opinion, the Japanese should have been allowed to maintain control of SEA and China. I get it now.”

At least you concede that America marched into Asian lands and placed their military bases even though you just threw Japan under the bus.

“China expanded its territory into Tibet and the Paracel Islands. That is a fact. Now it is trying to expand into the entire South China Sea.”

China expanded into Tibet during the Qing dynasty which predates all current international laws. By that accord, most Western countries should be tried by international laws for expanding beyond their borders and human rights violations.

The Paracel Islands are still disputed and China has not officially “expanded” into them.

“The international norm for settling territorial disputes is through international arbitration. China refuses to do that. That is a fact. Israel too ignores the international community.”

Just like Britian refuses to settle the Falkland Island dispute through international arbitration? Why is the UK and US exempt from international arbitration but not poorer countries? Perhaps because these globalist organizations are all set up by a select few?

“Your knowledge is woefully out of date. The British are not trying to take over the Falkland Islands, They already are British, and have been since 1840.”

Don’t kid yourself. The British displaced the native people and instituted their own genepool/culture so they can artificially claim the Falklands. They did this using neo-colonial tactics. Argentina has every right to claim the Falklands as it hinders on their national security.

“The difference is that the people who live on the Falklands want to be British, whereas those who end up under Chinese rule hate it. The Tibetans set fire to themselves and the Hong Kongers are forever rioting against Chinese rule.”

The people who live in the Falklands ARE Brits who moved there with the support of the British government. So of course they want to remain British.

hundreds of protestors set fire to themselves in Bahrain and Egypt but not a word from the press or Human Rights organization. In fact, these people are called “terrorist extremists” because they are Muslim – yet resorting to the same tactics as Tibetan Buddhists. Obviously you are not Buddhist or else you’d realize that the Tibetan yellowhats are the most extreme sect of Buddhism – much like Mormons or Jehovah’s witnesses.

Protests happen in Hong Kong rarely, but it’s often sensationalized in the media. You should be more worried about the petitions to secede from America which have already garnered millions of signatures. At least Hong Kongers aren’t petitioning to secede from China because they are essentially a city with no debt thanks to mainland China. Hong Kongers just want to feel like they’re better than someone else and are encouraged to protest against China for dubious/selfish reasons.

Jan 04, 2013 3:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
WheresMolly wrote:

“So, in your opinion, the Japanese should have been allowed to maintain control of SEA and China. I get it now.”

At least you concede that America marched into Asian lands and placed their military bases even though you just threw Japan under the bus.

“China expanded its territory into Tibet and the Paracel Islands. That is a fact. Now it is trying to expand into the entire South China Sea.”

China expanded into Tibet during the Qing dynasty which predates all current international laws. By that accord, most Western countries should be tried by international laws for expanding beyond their borders and human rights violations.

The Paracel Islands are still disputed and China has not officially “expanded” into them.

“The international norm for settling territorial disputes is through international arbitration. China refuses to do that. That is a fact. Israel too ignores the international community.”

Just like Britian refuses to settle the Falkland Island dispute through international arbitration? Why is the UK and US exempt from international arbitration but not poorer countries? Perhaps because these globalist organizations are all set up by a select few?

“Your knowledge is woefully out of date. The British are not trying to take over the Falkland Islands, They already are British, and have been since 1840.”

Don’t kid yourself. The British displaced the native people and instituted their own genepool/culture so they can artificially claim the Falklands. They did this using neo-colonial tactics. Argentina has every right to claim the Falklands as it hinders on their national security.

“The difference is that the people who live on the Falklands want to be British, whereas those who end up under Chinese rule hate it. The Tibetans set fire to themselves and the Hong Kongers are forever rioting against Chinese rule.”

The people who live in the Falklands ARE Brits who moved there with the support of the British government. So of course they want to remain British.

hundreds of protestors set fire to themselves in Bahrain and Egypt but not a word from the press or Human Rights organization. In fact, these people are called “terrorist extremists” because they are Muslim – yet resorting to the same tactics as Tibetan Buddhists. Obviously you are not Buddhist or else you’d realize that the Tibetan yellowhats are the most extreme sect of Buddhism – much like Mormons or Jehovah’s witnesses.

Protests happen in Hong Kong rarely, but it’s often sensationalized in the media. You should be more worried about the petitions to secede from America which have already garnered millions of signatures. At least Hong Kongers aren’t petitioning to secede from China because they are essentially a city with no debt thanks to mainland China. Hong Kongers just want to feel like they’re better than someone else and are encouraged to protest against China for dubious/selfish reasons.

Jan 04, 2013 3:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
“At least you concede that America marched into Asian lands and placed their military bases even though you just threw Japan under the bus.”

Give us a straight answer. In your opinion, should US forces have ‘marched into’ Asia to get rid of the Japanese occupiers, or not?

It is a simple question, and a simple yes or no will do.

While you are at it, in what way is US forces liberating the Philippines forcing military bases on them?

WheresMolly wrote:
“China expanded into Tibet during the Qing dynasty which predates all current international laws.”

Which means absolutely nothing. Nothing at all. It is, however, another similarity between China and Israel.

WheresMolly wrote:
“The Paracel Islands are still disputed and China has not officially “expanded” into them.”

China invaded them in 1974 and has illegally occupied them ever since. See the similarity with Israel’s illegal occupation?

WheresMolly wrote:
“Just like Britian refuses to settle the Falkland Island dispute through international arbitration?”

It went to arbitration in 1964. The UN said there was nothing to arbitrate. The Falkland Islanders (who, btw, are self-governing) tried to enter negotiations directly with Argentina in 2012, Argentina refused because they don’t recognise the Falklander’s right to self-governance.

WheresMolly wrote:
“The British displaced the native people ”

There were no native people.

WheresMolly wrote:
“hundreds of protestors set fire to themselves in Bahrain and Egypt but not a word from the press or Human Rights organization.”

So you agree that living under Chinese rule is similar to living under an Islamic dictatorship. Now we are getting somewhere.

WheresMolly wrote:
“Protests happen in Hong Kong rarely, but it’s often sensationalized in the media.”

Rarely? It is every year!

WheresMolly wrote:
“Hong Kongers just want to feel like they’re better than someone else and are encouraged to protest against China for dubious/selfish reasons.”

… and that attitude from PRCers is probably why.

WheresMolly wrote:
“You should be more worried about the petitions to secede from America which have already garnered millions of signatures.”

Why would I be worried about that?

Jan 04, 2013 5:37am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

WheresMolly wrote:
” People like you only pull the Tibet card when they are running out of arguments and have nothing credible to say”

The world is not going to pretend it never happened just because it makes you feel uncomfortable. China invaded Tibet. It is a fact. Get used to it.

WheresMolly wrote:
“I already know every argument you will pull out of your neocon handbook and frankly it’s getting boring…”

First I was a Zionist, and now I am a NeoCon… Why not throw in Japanese or Imperialist like the rest of your countrymen?

It is funny though… Israeli posters use the same tactic. You are in good company!

Jan 04, 2013 5:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
Romans118 wrote:

The U.S. missed out on the Vietnamese market to include them with upgraded, advanced weapons as a way to contain Red Chinese Communism overrunning all of Asia from the Koreas all the way down to Australia.

Once the Red Chinese have economically dominated the world, there is absolutely no way the U.S are going to be on the same level as the Communist Chinese. We are going to be a pauper nation slaving to repay the Chinese Communists as they control the purse strings of the world.

Jan 05, 2013 1:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.