Connecticut gun show goes on despite Newtown tragedy

Comments (10)
47songs wrote:

“Newman Chitenden said canceling the show would not improve security”

How the hell would he know?

Jan 05, 2013 7:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
47songs wrote:

The shallow and the simple minded just don’t get it. I don’t know that they ever will. Less guns would mean less death. It’s simple math that even the simple minded should be able to grasp, but they have yet to do so.

Jan 05, 2013 7:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sonorama wrote:

@47songs

Less cigarettes and less cars would make a greater dent, methinks… But the real problem is who has the ability to access these items. For instances: I can smoke once in a while without getting addicted; I can drive a car without getting into a fatal accident; I can own a shotgun & ammo without killing innocent people. Should these items be regulated, controlled, and restricted? Yes. Should they be fully banned?

Jan 05, 2013 8:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
chase1547 wrote:

R.I.P to all the children

Jan 05, 2013 8:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
chase1547 wrote:

What happened to the last comment? Honest news that only print comments they like:(

Jan 06, 2013 12:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
JPJP wrote:

Be wary of the foreigners posting their anti Second Amendment rhetoric, to support their far left agendas. They want to change my beloved country, the United States of America, into the trash-hole of their dreams. Not today, not tomorrow !! Better find a hole to crawl in if you want to change the Bill of Rights.

Jan 06, 2013 9:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

DaveEddleman wrote:
“Every Murderous Dictator in the history of the world made his 1st priority to disarm the populace over which he wanted to rule.”

I think you will find most of them obtained power through using an armed population. Hitler had his brown shirts, Mussolini had his black shirts, Stalin his Red Army, and the GOP has people like you.

On the other hand, dreaming that you can stop tanks and air-power with that little toy you have in the corner is a joke. The only way force can stop a government is if the military turns on its leaders. Is that what you are in favour of – an armed mutiny in the USA?

If that is true, then you are a perfect example of why populations should not be armed.

Apart from being a completely illogical argument, it is not supported by reality. Where is the tyrannical government oppressing the unarmed populations in Europe?

DaveEddleman wrote:
” I have not fathomed your actual purpose or paymaster, but as a prior service Battalion S2 (Military Intelligence Officer), it is clear to me that you are PsyOPS, Psycological Operations, Bought and Paid for. The group that you are working for is obviously working to weaken our country, (You are NOT a US National) as witnessed by your twisted financial encouragement to bury ourselves in debt, encouragement to disarm the populace, in spite of the fact that a legally armed populace reduces crime and takes foreign invasion off the table. ”

What is it with you wing-nuts and your conspiracy theories?

Still, I had a good laugh at that one.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“Not even in the most heightened tensions of the cold war did the USSR ever consider a ground invasion viable due directly to the amount of arms in civilians hands.”

Of course… they were scared to death of all you Clint Eastwood wannabes. It had absolutely nothing to do with the US navy they would have to get past first, or the US airforce they would have to disable, or the US military with its armour and artillery waiting for them.

It was fear of a bunch of amateurs with little hand-guns that scared them…

You have an exaggerated assessment of your own importance.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“the fact that a legally armed populace reduces crime ”

Real-life contradicts do. The USA has the *highest* rate of homicides in the civilised world. If your Fox News sound-bite were true, it should have the lowest. Why aren’t all those guns stopping murderers? It looks far more likely that all the guns make murder easier – a direct contradiction of your fantasy.

Jan 06, 2013 11:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

DaveEddleman wrote:
“If an Iranian leader told me the sky was blue, I’d start doubting it.”

So you can’t refute the figures? You got your facts wrong. Don’t blame me for that. It is your own mistake.

I see that you have run away from your problem of explaining why that armed population hasn’t stopped the dictatorship. You really need to do that, otherwise your argument that armed populations prevent tyranny collapses, proven false by observable example.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“So Iran is seaking peace with Israel by your interpretation of ” Ahmadinejad: Israel must be wiped off the map.”

Ahmadinejad never said that. That is a silly right-wing fantasy. Apart from the glaringly obvious fact that “wiped of the map” is an idiom that doesn’t exist in Farsi, that translation was done by Israelis and is not supported by independent translators. In fact, the Farsi word for ‘map’ doesn’t appear in Ahmadinejad’s sentence anywhere.

Naturally, you ignore common sense, you ignore independent translators, and instead obediently believe the Israelis. Well done.

That, and the fact that Ahmadinejad was quoting Khomeini so it is not even his sentence…

DaveEddleman wrote:
“More twistings and lies. the NRA does not support guns in the handsw of criminals.”

Actions speak louder that words. Your empty rhetoric means nothing when the NRA’s drive for ever weaker gun-controls is allowing criminals to be armed. By enabling armed criminals, the NRA is the mechanism that puts guns in the hand of criminals.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“Chicago, with the toughest gun laws in the US, had over 3 times the gun homicides that NYC did per capita. 500 /2.8 million Chicago. 422/ 8.3 million people NYC. FACT.!”

Is Chicago a country? If not, it is a pointless argument.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“Somehow you equated “crime” statistics, which prove my point, with homicide statistics, which I already agreed were higher to prove your point that “crime” doesn’t go down in spite of the statistics proving it does.”

If you do a bit of research, you will find that homicide is a crime. It is also a violent one.

As well as running away from your problem of explaining why the armed Iranian population hasn’t stopped the the alleged dictatorship, you have also run away from explaining why “guns in the hands of honest citizens to combat criminals” has totally failed to stop those criminals murdering the armed honest citizens.

You really need to do that, otherwise your argument that armed civilians prevent crime collapses, proven false by observable example.

As for violent crime, I already explained in another thread that is is measured differently in Europe and the USA (BCS survey against Police reports) which is common, public domain, knowledge, and pointed you to OECD as a standardised source using only police records. Naturally, you ignore that.

Regardless of your choice to remain uninformed, it is simple common sense that homicide is violence. In the UK, there is more violence but less death; in the US there is less violence but more death. Clearly, it has never crossed your mind that in the USA, because of the easy access to guns courtesy of the NRA, people are being shot and killed instead being beaten and surviving.

BTW, it is not “slightly less deaths overall” in the UK. It is a fraction of the US rate. 1.2/100,000 in the UK against 4.8/100,000 in the USA.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“Yep, throw out the wing-nut there. Nothing discredits someone better.”

Crazy conspiracy theories are characteristic of the right – think of the Birthers for example, or Obama being a Muslim, and you are fitting in perfectly with the wing-nut stereotype.

It is not me that is discrediting you. What discredits you is your assertion that first I was Syrian, then I suddenly became Israeli, and now I am some sort of Islamic 007 figure, with a sinister plan to destroy the USA by posting in Reuters…

DaveEddleman wrote:
“You are careful to write the Quran as the Qu’ran, as a faithful Muslim would do.”

You are factually wrong. Again.

A faithful Muslim would write it in Arabic, as an English translation is no longer the word of God, but a human translation. I write it the way an educated English speaker writes it. Unless the educated writer has a rhotic accent, and then they may write it as Qur’an.

Jan 06, 2013 11:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DaveEddleman wrote:

@Abulafiah

“So you can’t refute the figures? You got your facts wrong”.

I can’t refute them. And I don’t believe you could verify them, however, if Iran continues to work on a nuclear bomb to destroy Israel, the US military will probably be verifying them sooner than you think.

“I see that you have run away from your problem of explaining why that armed population hasn’t stopped the dictatorship. You really need to do that, otherwise your argument that armed populations prevent tyranny collapses, proven false by observable example.”

:-) I “Run away” from nothing, ever. Again, you use unverified gun issues given by a Dictatoral Religious Government to justify it’s not a dictatoral Government. :-) Little circlular, dont’cha think? Iran has been arming Terrorist from Afganistan thru Iraq, Syria thru Libya, they buy them off the world market, and they admit to arming no one. Where do you think these 3.5mil guns actually are right now? Iran? I’m sure they’re all nestled back in those Christian, Jewish, and atheist’s closets there in Iran waiting patiently to defend their benevolent and beloved leader, the Ayatolla from harm. (Misspelled it, I know, Don’t care, Has the least respect that I have for anyone on the planet.) You know better.

“If you do a bit of research, you will find that homicide is a crime. It is also a violent one.

As well as running away from your problem of explaining why the armed Iranian population hasn’t stopped the the alleged dictatorship, you have also run away from explaining why “guns in the hands of honest citizens to combat criminals” has totally failed to stop those criminals murdering the armed honest citizens”

Hehe. You’re getting flustered. Your misdirections and twisted stats are clearly obvious now. Wow, Ya sure homicide’s a violent crime? Have to do much research there?

Homicide, Rape, robbery, assualt, are all violent crimes. And combined, You won’t mention anything except homicide because it blows your statistics to bits.

This and you are really getting pretty ridiculous. Address ALL my Stats, not just poke out a sentence after a stat, twist it’s meaning from the verifiable statistic, and then refute that twisted statement.

“Crazy conspiracy theories are characteristic of the right – think of the Birthers for example, or Obama being a Muslim, and you are fitting in perfectly with the wing-nut stereotype.”

Don’t know about the birther issue. Don’t really care.

As far as Obama being Muslim, he states himself in “Tears of my Father” That his father’s muslim heritage had a lot to do with his beliefs and that in the US, should the political situation blow against the Muslim community, he will “stand with his Muslim Brothers”

Frankly, when he was elected, I thought it likely he held moderate muslim beliefs and I was hopeful for them. I honestly don’t care what his religion is, and if his knowledge of and sympathy toward the Islamic religion would help him to be more effective in showing the muslim community that we respect their right to worship as they choose, a peace could be made.

Sadly, after enabling and supporting the Muslim Brotherhood in throwing off Muammar Gaddafi’s dictatorship, we saw how grateful the muslim community there was by the attack and murders at the US Embassy.

And yes, I have to agree. You’re only a misguided person after this posting. An Intelligence operative, or even just a paid blogger, would have no been nowhere as transparent and disjointed in their response as you have been in this most recent posting.

I still believe you are of the muslim faith, which in and of itself, is neither good nor bad, and I’m absolutely sure you’re not a US citizen, as you don’t even consider being one to be a desirable thing by your decision not to confront that statement so many times in the past.

Have a good life or Khuda hafiz (or is that too oldfashioned these days?)

Jan 07, 2013 12:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

DaveEddleman wrote:
“I can’t refute them.”

Then the figure stands, and you are wrong.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“I “Run away” from nothing, ever”

We can all see that you do. You have run away from it twice now. You went to great lengths trying to be all noble and honourable, telling is all how you would bravely take on a tyrannical government with your gun, how guns are the only way to prevent tyranny, and how tyrannical governments always disarm the population.

Now, you say Iran is a dictatorship. You mistakenly thought Iran has disarmed its population, but in reality Iran has 3.5 million armed civilians. For you argument to stand, you have to explain why those 3.5 million gins in Iran didn’t stop what you say is a dictatorship.

You can’t do that.

Nor can you explain why all the guns in the USA don’t prevent murders. You run away from that too. In fact, there are a lot of holes in your arguments that you seem unable to explain and choose to avoid instead.

DaveEddleman wrote:
“You won’t mention anything except homicide because it blows your statistics to bits.”

You must have missed this bit:

“As for violent crime, I already explained in another thread that is is measured differently in Europe and the USA (BCS survey against Police reports) which is common, public domain, knowledge, and pointed you to OECD as a standardised source using only police records. Naturally, you ignore that.

Regardless of your choice to remain uninformed, it is simple common sense that homicide is violence. In the UK, there is more violence but less death; in the US there is less violence but more death. Clearly, it has never crossed your mind that in the USA, because of the easy access to guns courtesy of the NRA, people are being shot and killed instead being beaten and surviving.

BTW, it is not “slightly less deaths overall” in the UK. It is a fraction of the US rate. 1.2/100,000 in the UK against 4.8/100,000 in the USA.”

See? You somehow missed three paragraphs on violent crime, and far from your gloating “blows your statistics to bits” it supports my position. The USA has lower violent crime figures because weak gun-laws replace violence with murder.

Or perhaps you are just avoiding another point you are unable to answer?

DaveEddleman wrote:
”As far as Obama being Muslim, he states himself in “Tears of my Father” That his father’s muslim heritage had a lot to do with his beliefs and that in the US, should the political situation blow against the Muslim community, he will “stand with his Muslim Brothers””

“Tears of my Father”? Obama never wrote a book called “Tears of my Father”. Perhaps it is “Dreams from my Father” that you are trying for, but got your facts wrong again. Good job there. You are clearly very knowledgable.

The second boost to your credibility is that the quote is wrong. Two factual errors in one sentence – big boost to your credibility.

What Obama said was:

“Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

Notice how there is no mention of Muslims, or Muslim brothers? Notice how he is talking about *American citizens*? Perhaps you think presidents of the USA shouldn’t stand by US citizens, or perhaps they shouldn’t stand with non-white US citizens

You really should stop watching Fox…

Jan 07, 2013 5:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.