Nixon hailed as foreign policy genius at centennial of birth

reality-again wrote:

Nixon will always be remembered for Watergate, but if History is fair, and if the American people is fair, he should be remembered for his great accomplishments as well.

Jan 06, 2013 8:19am EST  --  Report as abuse

Really, its deserving of a YEAR LONG celebration? He had some accomplishments, along with massive corruption, but deserving a year long celebration he does not. Neither is Ronnie Reagan by the way.

Jan 06, 2013 10:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
Perv889966 wrote:

Of course, I remember President Richard Millhouse Nixon. I remember the time he came on national TV and said,

“I … am not a crook.”

I knew right then and there the man was a crook.

Jan 06, 2013 12:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ConstFundie wrote:

Broke his sacred Oath to the American People and to his God, broke US Federal Law, and escalated a horrible unjust War. Hurrah.

Jan 06, 2013 3:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ignatzz wrote:

Yes, the secret bombing if Cambodia was just frigging brilliant.

Jan 06, 2013 10:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AZWarrior wrote:

I was in Vietnam hearing how he was going to pull us out at “some point”. We decided that his daddy should have pulled out and we would all have been better off. He was just another POS politician who would sent us all to our deaths in the mud if it made him look like a man. Obama is even worse.

Jan 06, 2013 10:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Prairiefire wrote:

Yeah opened up China for the cheap labor so US business could move American jobs over there… Funny how he was so anti-communist but changed his tune when he found the cheap labor market that could be exploited….

Jan 06, 2013 10:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Hen3ry wrote:

I am proud to have voted against Richard M. Nixon twice when he ran for governor of California, and twice when he ran for President of the United States.
Two of those times, I voted against him while I was serving our country in Vietnam.

Jan 06, 2013 11:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Robert76 wrote:

Let us also not forget that he was a political hack during the McCarthy Hearings, helping to destroy reputations and careers of many innocent people during the witch hunt known as the McCarthy Hearings.

I am sure that if there is a hell, he is there serving his time.

Jan 06, 2013 11:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ErnestPayne wrote:

Nothing to celebrate other than he was finally forced from office.

Jan 07, 2013 10:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
ObamaFail wrote:

Nixon would have been loved if he was a Democrat. Established the EPA. Proclaimed the first Earth Day. Wage and price controls. Friends with the ChiComs. Used the Justice Department and FBI against his political enemies.

His only flaw was that he was a Republican. If he would have been a Democrat, that Watergate stuff would never have made it to the front page of any newspaper. It would have never even been investigated by any “journalist”.

Jan 07, 2013 11:02am EST  --  Report as abuse
HiloBob wrote:

Trying to forget Watergate is like trying to forget being raped. Nixon was an embarrassment, is an embarrassment, and always will be. Nothing will change that. The Chinese are our enemies… ask the Pentagon how many cyber attacks they perpetrate daily. WalMart is still building their navy thanks to him.

I’ll never forget Nixon toasting Chou Enlai. That image still nauseates me.

Jan 07, 2013 6:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse