U.S. warns on Java software as security concerns escalate

bobber1956 wrote:

You mean DHS just now figured that out? wow

Jan 11, 2013 11:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
scobos wrote:

@bobber: Don’t be condescending. There are plenty of folks who are not low-level literate regarding software and OS’s. I use Java-based stuff (Games, Video, etc) all the time and wasn’t aware of a problem. If it’s true, I’m glad an official agency is aware at all and can hopefully prompt counter-action.

Jan 11, 2013 1:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bobber1956 wrote:

scobos
I refuse to accept such a low level of competence from government agencies as you would allow. Especially the one responsible for the security of this country. I was in COMSEC in the military and the fact that DHS is just now onto this is disgusting. And so are your standards. I was willing to be a little diplomatic with my criticism before you became so condescending.

Jan 11, 2013 4:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
technoidog wrote:

Oh Oh! Gets real tough when monies aren’t included in the annual ledger item contribution to Homeland Securities, eh? ;^) Hey Google, are you watching what’s going here?

Jan 11, 2013 6:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jhvance wrote:

I removed Java from all my computers long ago, and haven’t really missed it.

Jan 11, 2013 7:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Slammy wrote:

A computer, or multiple, are placed into every home and business in the civilized world and have the most important personal and financial data loaded into them. Then these machines are wired together so they can communicate with any other machine, anywhere, anytime in the world… and we remain surprised this stuff happens?

Jan 11, 2013 8:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sylvan wrote:

Security is why I believe Apple will be dominant for years to come, and all at the high margins driven by their innovations, that all others imitate. They are the only ones who watch out for both the hardware and software of their users; and have lots of layers of hacker-caliber employees playing defense 24/7. I believe this is a a major reason many corporations are converting to Apple for all their users, from phones to laptops to PCs, because it costs-shifts security expenses, which are unknown at point of purchase. If you have a Mac and have a problem, there is no opportunity for finger pointing by the manufacturers of the components; you and Apple know who will immediately fix your problem, and they do, with a smile, and then immediately find and repair the problem proactively for Appleshere. So keep manipulating the stock price all you want short term traders, as I am in for the long haul.

Jan 12, 2013 5:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
FinanceAust wrote:

Agree with bobber1956.

In addition, telling us to disable Java demonstrates such an extraordinary level of incompetence it’s not funny.
So many websites use Java that disabling it is not even close to being a realistic proposition for most people.

Jan 12, 2013 6:16am EST  --  Report as abuse
Marowmerowmer wrote:

The level of idiocy displayed by the government is staggering. This is like saying, “Disable your Flash or the HACKERS will get you! Brblrblrbb!”
Technically speaking, anything and everything on a computer is a hacking tool.
Does that mean we should quit using computers altogether?

Jan 12, 2013 8:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
tmc wrote:

Larry has been trying to spend his money since he was told he can’t take it with him and was goaded into promising to philanthropy once he’s comfortably dead. Islands, sports teams, golf, golf, golf…

I thinking no one left at Oracle knows (or cares)where the source code went. It’s ok, the open source community will fix it….right? Where…where did they go?

Jan 13, 2013 8:00am EST  --  Report as abuse