Obama digs in heels, refuses to negotiate debt ceiling

Comments (46)
GRRR wrote:

Frankly, I don’t want Republicans to change their minds and cave in. I want them to prove to the world that their dogma — of a balanced budget amendment aka a permanent debt ceiling — is proper.

Hence, Democrats shouldn’t bother to negotiate; just have a weekly up or down vote on a clean debt ceiling increase.

Jan 14, 2013 8:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Dragos111 wrote:

Typical Obama. Blame the Republicans.

We DO have a spending problem. He refuses to address it at all. The GOP should view the debt ceiling as being the same as a Balanced Budget Amendment. Without an increase in the debt ceiling they MUST cut spending.

Let’s see if they have the nerve to hold him to his “Balanced Approach to the Deficit”.

Jan 14, 2013 8:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
zrela wrote:

Obama is confused.
1. He was elected, yes. But by a very slim 3% majority. So to assume the American People (in entirety) voted for his tax & spend policies is delusional.
2. Obama has refused to pass a budget during his entire 4 years. He KNOWS that budget talks would require spending cuts. Which he flatly refuses to do.
3. Without budget talks, the American people have NO leverage to force obama to cut spending.
Therefore, while Obama wants to lie about a small handful holding the nation hostage, the truth is that obama is holding the nation hostage by refusing to even discuss spending cuts at any time.
If the nation will go BK, let it do so under obama’s watch because with his insane spending it MUST go BK in the very near future.
Better the BK damage his presidency than anyone elses…

Jan 14, 2013 8:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DaveEddleman wrote:

Boehner needs to play the same game Obama did. House passes a budget ceiling increase on a bill adding in the spending cuts they want, hold it till the last minute, and then send it forward. If the Dem senate doesn’t pass it and the president doesn’t sign it, they will be at fault for our debt default.

Jan 14, 2013 8:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Perv889966 wrote:

Too bad it’s come down to this, but spending must be cut.

It’s a sad state of affairs. Raising the debt ceiling will only lead to more debt.

Obama needs to stop using scare tactics.

Jan 14, 2013 8:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Larry2012 wrote:

Keep digging, Obama. Eventually you’ll bury yourself beneath your own failed policies, financial, domestic, and foreign. Tragically We the People will go down with you. If it has to be “my way or the highway” a lot of us would prefer to take the highway…out of office and out of town.

Jan 14, 2013 9:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
freud101 wrote:

The idea of politicians negotiating over the debt limit is a lot like the EMTs coming to a person in cardiac arrest and then negotiating with his family over how much pay they are going to get to resuscitate him. Such laws were originally designed to make the Congress and the United States people highly aware of our increasing debt so that they would be motivated to moderate the debt. They were not intended to make the US default or to destroy our credit rating. It has only been this current (post 2010 elections) crop of Republicans who have ever seriously played it this way. The law should be eliminated now and so should those Republicans.

Jan 14, 2013 9:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Eugene31 wrote:

The President framed the issue as he should. Why offer ransom to economic terrorists who have nothing in their hand but an “offer” to blow up the economy if they don’t get what they want? When is the GOP going to realize that they lost the last election, and they will lose bigger in 2014 if they keep up the “big baby” routine?

Jan 14, 2013 9:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
adam999 wrote:

If I use more than more than 90% of my credit card limit on all of my credit cards, I should not be applying for more credit cards. Raising the debt ceiling is like they giving me more credits to borrow and to pay my current credit cards with the new credit card… I wonder if the president does his own financing like this way???

Jan 14, 2013 9:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
adam999 wrote:

This president does not know how to be fiscally responsible… you have got to cut spending… even if you tax the american people at 75% we still can’t afford what we can’t afford.

Jan 14, 2013 9:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Like a spoiled child saying that if he has to share a toy, he will destroy the toy to be shared. Then he can claim it wasn’t his fault because he said he would destroy the toy from the beginning. You can’t just say “I won’t negotiate”. Come on Mr. President, compromise on spending so we can move on, your not a king.

Jan 14, 2013 9:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Eugene2012 wrote:

President Obama is 100% correct! The GOP is 100% wrong!

Jan 14, 2013 9:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JoeShea wrote:

What kind of president “refuses to negotiate”? This has become the standard way he operates. And then he uses Executive privilege. This is the behavior of a dictator. In America, we have 3 branches of government that “negotiate”. The framers understood the perils of concentrated power and intentionally forced government to negotiate.

Jan 14, 2013 9:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TxCharlie wrote:

Republicans, call your Congressmen!!!

I told my Representative that House Republicans need to only pass what we really WANT them to pass (MASSIVE CUTS IN GOVERNMENT WAGES and RETIREMENT PACKAGES, MASSIVE GOVERNMENT LAYOFFS, and take the rest of the cuts by closing the doors on nonessential agencies and discretionary spending).

The bill needs to state explicitly what to cut, so Democrats won’t scare old people again, falsely telling them that their Social Security would be sacrificed. Default isn’t necessary – If they cut out all that junk, we can pay our debtors. It’s only a Democrat scare tactic.

Then grant Obama’s wish about negotiations – Throw the bill at the Senate’s door and walk away without any negotiations.

Obama thinks he’s God right now because he won the election by a couple of percent. We need to remind him that he only won by a razor-thin margin of popular votes.

Jan 14, 2013 9:34pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Discovery451 wrote:

Get ready for the next recession in the fall from all the spending cuts. Maybe a government shut down in late March too.
The Japanese money printing experiment should be fun to watch too. How do currency wars end?

Jan 14, 2013 9:34pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Lounsbury wrote:

A public service announcement for our Dictator in Chief… No sir, you don’t negotiate. You don’t negotiate because that is what the Legislative Branch does and you can either sign it or veto it. You’re not a king, and certainly not my king, and your arrogance is nothing but offensive pompous lecturing and an affront to American liberty. You voted against it when you were a Jr Legislator and called Bush a failure, so here’s a mirror Herr Obama… pot meet kettle, kettle, pot. Go back to campaigning Barry, you do less damage there.

Jan 14, 2013 9:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sae-sho wrote:

look, congress voted for these expenditures, but now they don’t want to pay for them. it’s like going out and buying a lexus for yourself and telling the family “oh you can’t buy food, clothes or school supplies, but would you like a ride in my new lexus?” when congress votes to spend money, then servicing that debt should be automatic, not a food fight or game of chicken. congressional approval is at like 12%. do they really want to go to 2%

Jan 14, 2013 9:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Element3 wrote:

Current USA financial position (2012-2013):
Tax Revenue: $2,469,000,000,000
Budget: $3,796,000,000,000
New Debt: $1,327,000,000,000
National Debt: $16,433,000,000,000
Budget Cuts: $38,500,000,000

Now just remove 8 zeros and pretend it is your household budget
Family Income: $24,690
Family Spent: $37,960
New Debt on the credit card: $13,270
Balance on the credit card: $164,330
Total Budget Cuts: $385
How is our government doing?

Jan 14, 2013 9:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlaskanDude wrote:

I’m beginning to think you really ARE from Kenya. This is NOT a third world banana republic (yet). Either learn the give and take of negotiation (ala Bill Clinton) or promise to hold your breath until 2016.

Jan 14, 2013 9:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Ready2go wrote:

We are in this mess because of Repubs and will continue to stay here because of minority rule.(filabuster). I’m glad Obama has finally grew a pair and hope he holds to his values.!!! Besides that, Repubs will lose another one in 4 years.

Jan 14, 2013 10:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse

“Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke called on lawmakers Monday to “take care of their job” and raise the nation’s debt ceiling, warning that default could derail the still-fragile economic recovery.” You know what — the Tea Party does not care if they drive the US economy into a Second Great Recession (which would make reducing the debt/deficit even more difficult). Their only objective is the obstruction/destruction of Obama.

Jan 14, 2013 10:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Monodist wrote:

Republicans, the party of bitter, old white men, has been whooped soundly by the community organizer from Chicago. A broken party led by a bunch of reactionary tea partiers and Rush Limbaugh.

Where were all you spending cuts during the phony Ieaq war????

Jan 14, 2013 10:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlaskanDude wrote:

Ready2 you are so wrong. We are in this mess from abuses on both sides, taking advantage of our forefather’s constitution which failed to consider professional politicians. Maybe the ONLY mistake they made. If you think the D’s are faultless and R’s are the only one’s to blame, then let me tell you this. You are wrong. You view yourself as a victim. You excuse your laziness with a claim that you had/have no control. You demand your ‘right’ to things that were paid for with other people’s money. I could go on but I’m bored with it.

Jan 14, 2013 11:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlaskanDude wrote:

Lefty… I’m not a tea party member, but I have read up on them. I don’t find anything wrong with them. I don’t know if they are anti-abortion or not, if they are then that is probably my only disagreement with them.
From what I read, they are for smaller government, state rights and less government overall. What part of that do you descend? You and I have never experienced a depression, but my Dad has. Maybe your Dad or Grand Dad did. Maybe you should re read what Element wrote. Do you see a problem?
Please… what if we drop the R and the D and let’s go with the A. We don’t differ much in politics… think about what we could do with a neck hug in place of screaming it your or their fault. I’m a conservative, but WE could overcome.

Jan 14, 2013 11:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlaskanDude wrote:

Mono – I can agree with a lot of what you say. Let me add that the D’s (Harry Reid? Polosi?) are not in it for us or in the mainstream etc.
Okay… let’s go from there Mo. Can I call you Mo? Hope so.
As I said, I’m a conservative. I will most often vote republican. BUT – As a white old man, I resent your putting me in a box in which I don’t belong. It’s not who was whooped soundly it is what can we do, as out responsibility to those who went before us, to keep/make America great. It was obama who used the line about being whooped, but I think he said shellacked.
Having said all that, and needing a drink, Mono… the answer lies in our finding a way to get past the politicians and their rhetoric they use to stay in power.
I hope you take time to ponder what I say.

Jan 14, 2013 11:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
rioamericano wrote:

I wouldn’t call him petulant. It is more like wising up to the fact that the Repubs never intended to negotiate with him. Every time he held out any kind of olive branch, Boehner and McConnell doused it with lighter fluid and set it afire. He may finally be getting the message that no matter what he proposed, they won’t agree. When he first proposed no tax increase for everyone under $250,000, that wasn’t good enough for them. Then it became $400,000 and that wasn’t good enough. They wanted $1,000,000 and then it fell apart.

Now they want to hold the country hostage once again with their game of brinksmanship. It is that southern block again. I say let them secede once and for all. We don’t need them.

Jan 15, 2013 12:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nathan555 wrote:

The national debt is not subject to the same economic constraints as an American household, as those such as Element3 suggest. The Government can essentially create money via the Federal Reserve, for example, and it will never default or go bankrupt unless it is foolishly blocked from paying its bills.

This process might create inflation, but actually the Federal Reserve has been combating deflation pressures and a money supply that is too small ever since the 2008 economic collapse. They have been increasing the money supply by a process called quantitative easing. However the money mostly just gets stuck in the banking system. The way out of this is for the government to spend the money, but the Republicans are insisting on the opposite of this, instead cutting Govt. spending. This is bad and has very real negative consequences. Cutting spending removes jobs, which will further decrease tax revenues. It prevents us from addressing important issues such as repairing infrastructure, conducting scientific research, and the Republican sentiment is even an impediment to disaster recovery as we have seen recently. Please pay attention to this reasoned argument!

Also, it is not an acceptable tactic to essentially hold the nation hostage like the Republicans are doing. It is not an acceptable way of doing things.

Jan 15, 2013 12:39am EST  --  Report as abuse

While Obama is correct in his assertion that he won re-election he fails to acknowledge that the American public also re-elected a Republican House of Representatives so just maybe not everyone is ready to buy into his approach to handling the economy. The fiscal cliff was a media creation that the Republicans should have ignored. They have another chance to reign in the out of control spending that keeps the Democrats in power don’t blink this time.

Jan 15, 2013 12:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

“Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies….

Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘‘the buck stops here.’’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit. ”

Barack Obama –

Jan 15, 2013 3:26am EST  --  Report as abuse
Fantasywriter wrote:

Let’s get real on this, Obama, as President, has an obligation to pay on the debt from the revenue at hand. That means that from the 2.5 to 2.6 trillion dollars of revenue taken in this year he must pay on the debt first and all other spending comes after. This President has reversed thing and pays on spending and borrows to pay on the debt and his over spending. That is why we haven’t had a budget for the last 4 years and won’t have one this coming year. Without a budget they can hide their illegal actions in plain sight and threaten the American people with disaster after disaster. A common tactic used at all levels of government to get the people behind their disastrous spending. How many of you have heard this one, “If we don’t pass this local measure fire and police will have their budgets cut.” Isn’t it interesting that once the measures are past there is a ton of new spending. Same on the national level.

Jan 15, 2013 3:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
Fantasywriter wrote:

Element3, I was with you until you stated “Budget: $3,796,000,000,000.” Actually, that amount is not the budget it is spending. There is no budget now and there hasn’t been one in 4 years and most likely not one this year either. That is one of our major problems and we really can’t begin to settle this thing without a budget and Obama and the democrats know this.

Jan 15, 2013 3:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
libertyville wrote:

Obama is taking us down a fascist road that will be difficult to return from. This guy has a very limited respect for democracy.

Jan 15, 2013 4:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
joe10082 wrote:

Obama is becoming part of the problem rather than the solution. Its not a very pretty sight for a man in his position of responsibility who was re elected to represent the best interests of the people who are counting on his professionalism and not the conduct of an obstructionist and amateur. They had enough of that in the last four years he was in the oval office and look what it got us. Nowhere! This man needs a pair of new glasses and hearing aids!

Jan 15, 2013 5:02am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

Fantasywriter wrote:
“There is no budget now and there hasn’t been one in 4 years and most likely not one this year either. That is one of our major problems and we really can’t begin to settle this thing without a budget and Obama and the democrats know this.”

‘Obama and the Democrats’ have produced a budget every year, and if you made an effort to check facts they are very easily found online for everybody to see.

What happens is that Republican controlled Congress refuses to pass them. If you are genuinely so worried about the lack of a budget, blame the GOP.

Jan 15, 2013 7:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
johnwayland wrote:

Anything is possible if you don’t know what you are talking about

Jan 15, 2013 8:07am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

zrela wrote:
“Obama is confused.
1. He was elected, yes. But by a very slim 3% majority. So to assume the American People (in entirety) voted for his tax & spend policies is delusional.”

You are confused. The idea of democracy is that the defeated minority accepts the will of the majority, but the GOP refuse to do that.

Now that America has rejected Republican ideology so the democratic path has failed, Republicans are resorting to Mafia-style “do as we say or the economy gets it” tactics to force their minority views onto the majority.

Jan 15, 2013 8:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
Whipsplash wrote:

News Flash (for the clueless);
Republicans WILL take the hit politically for not raising the debt ceiling. So keep up your tuff talk, Obama bashing, and whining while showing your ignorance on how and why the government functions as it does. Please continue down the same pathetic road you’ve chosen over the last four years for the next four because it will guarantee you lose control of the House in two years and have NO chance of winning the White House in four.

Jan 15, 2013 9:01am EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

“The fact that we’re here today to debate raising America’s debt limit
is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means ‘The buck stops here.’
Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto
the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem
and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore
intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

- Senator Obama, March 2006

Apparently, we had a debt problem due to inept leadership under GWB.

But, now that Obama has perpetuated and exacerbated those fiscally reckless policies and added more dollars to the federal debt than any other President in US history, we apparently have no problem as he refuses to cut spending as he promised, as his own deficit commission suggested, and as the arithmetic dictates a necessity.

Jan 15, 2013 10:52am EST  --  Report as abuse

A failure by Congress to raise the debt limit “in a timely manner” could lead to a downgrade of the nation’s AAA credit rating, Fitch Ratings said today.

Jan 15, 2013 11:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

” And the fact of the matter is, is that we have never seen the debt ceiling used in this fashion”

– Obama news conference Jan. 14, 2013

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt
limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S.
government can’t pay its own bills. … I therefore intend to oppose the
effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

– Then-Sen. Barack Obama, floor speech in the Senate, March 16, 2006

Wow….and you thought Romney was a flip-flopper? LOL

Jan 15, 2013 12:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@abulafish said: “‘Obama and the Democrats’ have produced a budget every year, and if you made an effort to check facts they are very easily found online for everybody to see.

What happens is that Republican controlled Congress refuses to pass them. If you are genuinely so worried about the lack of a budget, blame the GOP.”

Patently false….as usual….Senate Democrats have not passed a budget since April 29, 2009.

House republicans have passed a budget every single year.

Obama’s most recent budget proposal (as he is required to submit per the Congressional Budget Control and Impoundment Act of 1974) was voted down in the DEMOCRAT CONTROLLED SENATE by a vote of 99-0.

If you want to point the finger of blame for our non-existent budget for more than 1,200 days running now, the blame rests squarely with Senate Democrats.

Jan 15, 2013 3:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

jaham wrote:
“Patently false….as usual….Senate Democrats have not passed a budget since April 29, 2009.”

Proof that you are wrong:

2011: “The old Washington axiom — the president proposes and Congress disposes — is never truer than on budget day, and in keeping with tradition, Republican lawmakers are quickly dismissing the Obama White House’s first fiscal blueprint.

“It would be better if we did nothing than actually pass this budget,” said Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, the chairman of the House Budget Committee, saying the proposal was “debt on arrival,” pun intended.”

2012: “WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-run House has overwhelmingly rejected President Barack Obama’s $3.6 trillion budget for next year after a vote forced by GOP lawmakers to embarrass Democrats.”

You Republicans whine that *Obama* never produces a budget, but he does. Every year. Then the Republican controlled congress – as shown in my two contemporary news reports – reject it.

jaham wrote:
“Obama’s most recent budget proposal (as he is required to submit per the Congressional Budget Control and Impoundment Act of 1974) was voted down in the DEMOCRAT CONTROLLED SENATE by a vote of 99-0.”

Let me teach you how it works.

The budget process starts with Obama presenting a budget to congress. Contrary to the whining of Republicans, he has done this every year. The *budget committees* then produce budget resolutions that have nothing to do with Obama and don’t even require his signature.
That in itself makes your claim that “Obama hasn’t passed a budget” false – it isn’t part of his job to pass a budget.

The budgets rejected by the Senate are *not* ”Obama’s most recent budget proposal”. They are the budget committees budgets. More relevantly, budgets don’t need a vote. Insisting on a floor vote is just time wasting and idiotic political theatre by Republicans (“Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) demanded a vote on Obama’s budget” http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/163347-senate-votes-unanimously-against-obama-budget#ixzz2I86N0BVN) designed to impress the sheep. As we can see, the sheep are suitably impressed.

Jan 16, 2013 4:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@abulafish…I already know you’re eager for some circular logic and tail-chasing, as usual.

The Democrats control the executive Branch and half of Congress, yet you still want to pass blame to Republicans who control only half of Congress? Go figure.

Democrats pushed through a fiscally imprudent budget with a huge deficit the first go around for Obama while they controlled Congress. Since then they have been content to operate under a continuing resolution with that ridiculous budget (hard to call it a budget when you can’t nearly afford the spending) as the baseline. Of course they have no interest in passing one of the budgets that the House has passed every year Obama has been in office because they have much more ability to spend freely under the current resolution and non-existent budget….it’s as simple as that really.

Of course, I don’t expect a person who believes loans cannot be sold to grasp this.

Jan 16, 2013 8:53am EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

jaham wrote:
“Of course they have no interest in passing one of the budgets that the House has passed every year Obama has been in office because they have much more ability to spend freely under the current resolution and non-existent budget….it’s as simple as that really.”

You really should stop parroting Fox News and learn how the budget process works, as you are factually wrong. Your heroes in Congress do not have the power to pass any budget. It is just political theatre to impress the sheep, and it obviously works.

Let me make a second and last attempt at teaching how the budget works. I will try to make it easy for you.

1) President submits budget request.
2) Congress accepts, or sends it to budget committees who produce budget resolutions.
3) Budget committees submit budget resolutions for approval.
4) Approved budget resolutions are sent for reconciliation into a conference report.
5) The conference report is approved by both houses.
6) If approved the conference report is passed to authorising committees.

Notice how Congress does not “pass a budget” anywhere in that process? That is you first factual error.

Notice how Senate does not ‘pass a budget” anywhere in that process? That is your second factual error.

Notice how Obama does nothing except present a request? That is your third factual error.

Notice how the budget is not even generated by Obama so there is no such thing as “Obama’s budget”? That is your fourth factual error.

Jan 16, 2013 10:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@abulafish…you can play semantics with the words “pass”, “accept”, and “approve” all you please…it won’t change the fact that the Democrat controlled Senate has not passed a budget since April 29th, 2009 while the Republican controlled House passed a balanced budget every year Obama has been in office.

It also won’t change the fact that Obama believes that “the fact that we’re here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means ‘The buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

You should stop parroting Rachel Maddow and you just might be able to see the forest through the trees.

Jan 17, 2013 4:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Abulafiah wrote:

@jaham

it is nothing to do with semantics and everything to do with you not having a clue how the budget process works. In true Republican fashion, instead of finding out you ignore facts and Keep the Faith in Fox.

I have explained that the President is not responsible for passing a budget, that neither house is responsible for passing a budget, that neither party has responsibility for the budget. I have explained that the budget is produced by a joint effort of two budgeting committees. Obviously. presenting facts to you is a waste of effort.

Jan 18, 2013 5:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.