Illinois father and two sons freeze to death during hike

AtypicalMale wrote:

I disagree with the thought that “They were experienced hikers”. A truly experienced hiker would have been monitoring the pending changing weather conditions… and, in particular, once they were subjected to being caught in the rain, the father SHOULD have taken advantage of that offered ride, getting them out of those conditions.

I used to work with a fellow who possessed a ‘he man’ attitude who mocked my comments about the true dangers of hypothermia. People need to educate themselves as to the degree to which our bodies can be, and are, affected by adding moisture to the equation of falling temperatures… unfortunately, not doing so, as this story shows, can prove to be deadly.

Jan 15, 2013 9:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mb56 wrote:

These kinds of unnecessary tragedies are such a shame – especially when kids are involved and at the mercy of an irresponsible parent. They may have been “experienced” hikers… but they certainly weren’t responsible ones. A responsible hiker would never leave on a mid-winter hike so poorly prepared for a weather change. Such a shame.

Jan 16, 2013 2:21am EST  --  Report as abuse
Doc62 wrote:

Sad unecessary loss of life. The dog was better prepared and survived. I am an experienced hiker. Hello? It’s winter! I’ll hike 6 mls crosscountry this pm, alone. My pack contains a compass. swiss knife, rope, tarp rainsuit, extra fleece, yak traks, snacks and water. I wear wicking on my skin. Sure, I get warm quick, so I remove a layer & stuff into pack. Stop to photo a bald eagle and put back on layers.
Boy Scout Motto: BE PREPARED!

Jan 16, 2013 11:16am EST  --  Report as abuse
4Cryinoutloud wrote:

I agree that these guys were less than experienced in hiking. I live in Southern California and know better than to wear light clothing in the middle of winter during any overnight trip. If anything I’ll have too much outer wear which I’ll have to log around in my backpack, but I sure won’t freeze.

Jan 17, 2013 7:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
aardvark92 wrote:

My wife and I were fishing on the yellow river in Northwest Florida it was March and a beautiful clear day temperature was near 80 degrees. We had been fishing about a hour when a sudden cold front moved in with rain and the temp dropped from 80 to about 35 in less than 15 minutes. We wer’nt prepared I tried to make fire but even using boat gas was no use. We were cold and dressed in short and light shirts.
We made a run for the boat landing about 5 miles away and we were near dead when we got there shivering uncontrolably couldn’t speak because we were shaking so hard. I learned my lesson check the weather. I now keep two of those NASA space blankets in my boat.

Jan 18, 2013 4:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AnotherNobody wrote:

This reminds me of the time when I was hiking in the Guadarrama Mountains in Spain. It was late May and the temperature was in the mid 80´s. Stupidly I went out with only jeans and a light t-shirt. I thought since it was Spain and usually warm weather I wouldn´t have a problem. I hiked to just about the summit of a local Mountain called Peñalara. I was enjoying the views for about 30 minutes and suddenly the sky grayed and started raining like crazy. The temperature dropped to the mid 30´s and I was getting very cold. I found a small area to take shelter under some large boulders and waited for 15 minutes but I was still very cold. I decided to run down the mountain because it was the only thing to do to warm up. I got down the mountain and out of the storm and the temperature was rapidly rising again, but was still shaking uncontrollably for 30 minutes! From that time I always bring a fully stocked back pack. Never take chances!

Jan 21, 2013 8:33am EST  --  Report as abuse