Assad's overthrow "red line" for Iran: supreme leader's aide

Comments (19)
ClickBeetle wrote:

Hey, so, a red line is a happenstance that triggers an action, usually of the unpleasant variety, so it’s useless to tell us that anything is a red line if you don’t clearly spell out what crossing that line triggers.

What will the Supreme Leader actually *do* if Assad falls? If you can’t answer that, then this article tells us exactly nothing.

Jan 20, 2013 10:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
Animated wrote:

oh look…Iran is again setting “conditions” prior to some negotiations that should take place. Isnt the point of negotiations to figure out the conditions that should be adhered to?

Jan 20, 2013 11:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
usa.wi.vet.4q wrote:

Good luck Iran. You will need it. Funny how you are the only country that matters in your world?

Jan 20, 2013 11:52am EST  --  Report as abuse
Slammy wrote:

So.. if The Cowardly Lion is overthrown then Iran will be motivated enough to do something about it… Ok, that sounds fair…

Go Non-Terrorist Insurgents!

Jan 20, 2013 12:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
reality-again wrote:

Ali Akbar Velayati and the rest of the Iranian mullah gang are the next domino piece, and they should know it.

Jan 20, 2013 1:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Biscayne wrote:

Iran is a democracy and so is Syria, which is why they both responded with extreme violence against unarmed protesters.

Jan 20, 2013 1:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Biscayne wrote:

Iran is a democracy and so is Syria, which is why they both responded with extreme violence against unarmed protesters.

Jan 20, 2013 1:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SnowInCedars wrote:

Empty words. Noise without meaning. No way to back up the threat if it happens.

Jan 20, 2013 1:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
reality-again wrote:

@SchlomoGoldberg

Why would anyone be scared of the peaceful, kind and trustworthy Iranian regime?
I can’t think of any reason.

Thank you for opening my eyes to see the plain truth, which is that the Iranian mullahs are in fact America’s best friends, and all they’ve been trying to do for years is protect and defend the Middle East and the West from Sunni religious extremism and Sunni corruption, as well as from the bad guy Israel.
Obama should invite these wonderful mullah guys to the White House, shake their hands warmly, and apologize to them publicly for the unfair sanctions his administration imposed on their country while in fact they’ve always been America’s #1 friends in the region.
Justice must be done – better late than never…
Now I get it! Clearly, a strong Iran armed with atomic weapons is the best guarantee for a stable and safe Middle East, right?
This makes perfect sense, and I wonder why no one in America gets it. How could have we been so blind and foolish?? I’ll bet it’s because of AIPAC, right?
Yeah, that must be it.

Jan 20, 2013 5:24pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Fromkin wrote:

Iranian politicians are rational players unlike tea party and neaocons politicians. Frankly Nyantayahoo, Gorge Bush, Richard Perle, Karl Rove, John McCain, Joe Liberman, that senator from South Carolina and the rest are more scary than the “Mullah” who only mind their own(oil)business. They’ve never attacked anybody. They are too rich(do not owe 14 trillion to nobody) to bother any other country or even Israel.

Those who are attacking Iran want to steal its oil. Nothing to do with nuclear weapon.

Jan 20, 2013 8:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse

@reality-again:

You are very welcome. And yes indeed you did get it right, almost every point. You cannot imagine how I wish your post was not in jest and was actually the result of your rational appraisal of the situation.

Why is it so difficult for you people to see the truth? I have known many Iranians because of my job, and I had the opportunity to spend timein Iran a while back. Believe me when I say this: if we have a “natural ally” in that region, it is Iran and no other country, not even Turkey.

Go ahead and scuff at what I’m saying, but it is the truth. And you don’t have to visit Iran to see it, you just have to think critically, see behind the decade and ask “who benefits?”

Jan 20, 2013 11:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

SchlomoGoldberg wrote:
… meanwhile the sheeple and the talking monkeys continue to cheer.

+100

Jan 21, 2013 12:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

Slammy wrote:
> Go Non-Terrorist Insurgents!
YES! And Go Non-White Polar Bears, Non-Grey Elephants, Non-Wet Fish and Non-Religious Mullahs!
What are you smoking? Sounds interesting!

Jan 21, 2013 12:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
reality-again wrote:

@SchlomoGoldberg

You wrote (quote): “Believe me when I say this: if we have a “natural ally” in that region, it is Iran… ”

No sensible person would argue against this, if Iran was indeed a peaceful and normal country. But here is something you seem to forget: Iran is ruled by an extremist, corrupt, terrorist regime, who’s been backing terror organizations and rogue regimes wherever it’s possible to hurt American interests.
The mullahs hate America and everything America stands for, and very deeply so. They hated us even before that madman Homeini came to power.
The good news is that most Iranians loath this crazy Islamist regime, including the military who hate the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. This illegitimate and dangerous regime is getting increasingly isolated and weak, and its leaders can already see the end in their crystal ball. After Assad, they’re next.

Jan 21, 2013 8:26am EST  --  Report as abuse
Slammy wrote:

@BraveNewWrld

While it appears some Al Qaeda affiliated fighters have entered the fight, I have seen nothing that suggest the original revolutionaries and protesters have been simply assimilated this movement. Without a Census or polling of the fighters it is impossible to pigeon hole the fighters one way or the other. Do you know of any census or poll of the fighters are?

You might like this article:
Syria crisis: al-Qaida fighters revealing their true colours, rebels say, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/17/syria-crisis-alqaida-fighters-true-colours

As I read the story, assuming the Islamist in the Al Nasura Front are considered terrorists, then the other rebels are not terrorists, maybe freedom fighters, maybe insurgents but something. However, if your argument is that anyone taking up arms against the Syrian government are “terrorists”, then there you go, everyone fighting the regime is a terrorist regardless of their religious, ideological affiliations or what they want to see when this non-civil-war is over.
In either case the better description of these fighters still seems to be “insurgent.” However, if I say tomato, you say zucchini. I am more concerned with their actions on the ground than issuing blank labels.

Btw, did we ever figure out what weapon these terrorists/insurgents/freedom-fighters are claimed to have fired at the University in Aleppo? Did they actually fire a weapon or just use magic?

Go Non-Terrorist Insurgents!

Jan 21, 2013 12:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
branchltd wrote:

The Supreme Leader talks out of both sides of his mouth. Providing weapons and training for the government and insisting that they not be provided for the opposition.

Jan 21, 2013 2:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kenradke11 wrote:

Oh Assad will step down or he will fall fast and hard! He is the biggest terrorist in the grand scheme of things AND HE WILL PAY DEARLY FOR HIS TERROR TACTICS!! Assad the madman terrorist of his own people. bombing indiscrimately! He is a lunatic and he, Russia and Iran all have the blood of innocents on their hands! Shame on them all. They will pay dearly for their misdeeds especially Iran.

Jan 22, 2013 6:40am EST  --  Report as abuse
EMTbiker wrote:

The Five major beneficiaries of this last election are, China, Saudi Arabia, the UN, Manhattan and the Washington bureaucracies.

China will continue to maintain its massive trade imbalance and loan back their free trade profits to Washington at terms,conditions and with pleges of collateral ( like Taiwan) favorable to the multi-millionaires who run the Chinese Communist Party. The EPA will continue to shut down competitive American factories and displace both union and non-union workers for the benefit of China
Ever since 9-11 when 19 Saudis attacked the World Trade Center, our nation has aided Saudi Arabia and their Sunni jihadist in destroying every Shia rival to Riyadh. We will continue to arm and give Billions in aid to Sunni terrorist like those in the Muslim Brotherhood despite the fact that it is Saudi financed and supported terrorist who attack the US from Libya ( Benghazi) Al Qaeda, the Taliban, Egypt and Pakistan.
Our President and Senate will continue to use treaties as a means of treason, turning over sovereignty to non-elected foreign plutocrats and bureaucrats. (Perhaps some of the ones who own our national debt?) A new Pacific Free Trade Treaty is in the works, insuring American businesses relocate to avoid over taxation and over regulation. Since Treaties supercede our Constitutional Rights, the socialist will use treaties as a means of implementing their one-world dictatorship , In this, they will imitate Benedict Arnold who also betrayed this country for money and a patent of nobility in a global government ruled by elite lords.
Our” too big to fail” TARP beneficiaries and the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank will greatly benefit with this new administration. They too control the economy , money supply and interest rate with the impunity of tyrants and dictators. These Manhattan plutocrats, like Goldman Sachs and its subsidiary the US Treasury, will sell Cap and Trade government issued carbon ration cards for further lucrative profits.This is what the president means by combating the effects of a gas that comprises 0.0036 of the atmoshere and ostensibly causes global warming.
Our Washington Bureaucrats will grow in power as they further restrict personal freedom and opportunities for prosperity. Like the President with his executive orders, governmant agencies will continue their dictates, rules regulations and restrictions with as much concern for the common citizen as Marie Antoinette or the concern that the EPA had for the UMW. Why not? Bureaucrats, like federal politicians, make six legal figures, no matter what.

Jan 23, 2013 4:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
MATTY13 wrote:

Iran only needs to draw a red line on their runway so Assad’s plane will know where to park when he finally has to leave.

Jan 24, 2013 7:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.