Ryan blames Republican election loss on poor communication, turnout

Comments (134)
CMEBARK wrote:

Ryan still doesn’t get it…it WAS THE MESSAGE not the the method.

Jan 23, 2013 5:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
FortHastings wrote:

No. It was your horrible ideas circa 1865.

Jan 23, 2013 5:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
saywhatt286 wrote:

Independent—former Republican here. With all due respect Rep. Ryan you still don’t have a clue, and that is why you lost the election. Your far right ‘so called’ conservative agenda, made conservatives like me disgusted.

Jan 23, 2013 5:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Stop wrote:

No, Mr. Ryan you lost the election because of your old ideas … you are out of touch with women, young people and the Hispanic community – and Seneca Falls, Stonewall, and Selma to quote President Obama. Your party is broken. It’s not just as simple as “technology and voter turnout”. Keep thinking that way and the Democrats will be office for many years to come. And I will applaud that.

Jan 23, 2013 5:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tomsj wrote:

I think the Republicans did quite of good job of communicating their positions. They’re anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-immigrant, and anti-middleclass. We all understood that. We just weren’t buying it.

Jan 23, 2013 5:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I voted for those jokers. I gave money to them. I desperately wanted them to win.

But with all due respect to Mr. Ryan, there was much, much more wrong with that effort than poor communication &/or turnout. Romney was guilty of campaign malpractice.

Jan 23, 2013 5:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ruffsoft wrote:

In short, it was not his failed ideas but lack of communication skills that gave Obama the victory.

I think Americans understood Ryan’s plans to hand over social insurance programs to Wall St and his commitment to spending more on defense (already 1 trillion a year, half of federal revenues).

Next time, communicate the rejected ideas more clearly…..and lose by even more.

What the Republicans, who are masters of propaganda need, is not new communication skills but new ideas! Cutting taxes on the rich is not an idea likely to attract a majority of Americans. And Republicans have no other ideas.

Jan 23, 2013 5:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The Republicans lost because Romney was an unappealing rich guy who the average voter didn’t connect with. Because the Presidential race is the main event in any election where they occur, GOP voters didn’t turn out, hurting the GOP in the Senate and House races as well. It’s as simple as that.

Jan 23, 2013 5:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
T-2 wrote:

You lost because you do not connect with the working poor and what is left of the middle class! And the Republican party will continue to lose as long as the only people it backs is the wealthy and ultra rich we outnumber them.

Jan 23, 2013 5:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
yvrWriter wrote:

“We have to do a better job of explaining and demonstrating why our ideas are better” on such issues as fighting poverty and helping people move up “the ladder of life,” Ryan said.

“There are a lot of people who just don’t think or know that we have good ideas on these fronts,” Ryan said.

Are you serious?? What election are you referring to??

Jan 23, 2013 5:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bucky_2 wrote:

Nope… the GOP just couldn’t find anybody better than these two douches

Jan 23, 2013 5:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Marcuscassius wrote:

three reasons you lost. THIS time we took out the voter machine software that turns every third democratic vote into a Republican votes. Republicans have been on the outs for 20 years. They represent old rich white men that are afraid of any kind of change.Their message is death to this country. They need to go the way of the dodo.

Jan 23, 2013 5:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
adk65 wrote:

you lost, get over it! It’s time to start acting like an adult. Stop holding the American people hostage and start working together.

Jan 23, 2013 5:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sandman839 wrote:

Just like the Greedy Old Party, they don’t have a clue. They got their message out just fine and that is why the turn out was good. What they don’t want to believe is that the American people don’t like what they have to say. If you keep trying the same hing expecting different results you will continue to loose, unless you just redistrict to split up the other party.

Jan 23, 2013 5:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse

No… it was the 24/7 commercials on the Weather Channel with Bill Clinton lying to everyone about Obama being President Thrifty and saying “we’re in a recovery” and “just give it more time”.

In truth Obama blew all the TARP loan repayments… jacked up new spending ABOVE the extraordinary one time TARP loan amount and used it for a new baseline; spending $4,000,000,000,000+ in deficits over-trend of our grandchildren’s yet-to-be-earned income to prop up all this malfeasance.

The only thing more outrageous is that people actually believe that doubling down on stupid is going to help. The cure is the cause people.

Jan 23, 2013 5:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
forzapista wrote:

Republican communication was quite effective and it’s the reason they lost. Their message came accross loud and clear and the voters made their choice.

Jan 23, 2013 5:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LYNDALULU wrote:

I doubt anyone will read this, but I have one word for Ryan — IMMIGRATION. Since the 1960s immigration laws have changed and the immigrants since then have not all been WASPs — diversity is the word of this century and it will be a Democratic century because the Repugs will not, can not change. Ryan wanted to send back all the immigrants and their kids — how dumb is that?

Jan 23, 2013 5:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
captainkona wrote:

No, Paul… Actually it’s just that Americans are tired of Conservanoid dorks like you and Mitt.
Obambi has accomplished nothing, and you still lost.

Tell ya anything?

Jan 23, 2013 5:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mb56 wrote:

LOL… proving once again… Conservatives have no mirrors in their homes.

Jan 23, 2013 5:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
plooka32 wrote:

Poor little rotten Paulie. He’ll never admit the truth (which he does know, he’s just pretending he doesn’t). His communication was just fine, their message SUCKED, and the American voters turned out just fine…just not for the GOP =) C’mon, Paulie, get a clue! Buy one if you have to!

Jan 23, 2013 6:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Woltmann wrote:

Stupid may fly in Wisconsin and Utah but not nationally. Take that “mandate” and shove off, take Norquist with ya ..

Jan 23, 2013 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Randy549 wrote:

All through the summer of 2012, Romney and Ryan let Obama have the airwaves and media to himself, neglecting to counter Obama’s negative messaging and portrayals of them and their positions. He (Obama) effectively used that time to define Romney as “worse than what we have now,” (even though “what we have now” was pretty bad) and by the time the Republicans started their own messaging in the fall of 2012, the damage was irreparable and the game was already over.

Jan 23, 2013 6:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Haywood1 wrote:

Message was flawed, but fine. Turnout was okay. Not perfect, but its unreasonable to assume you’d get higher. The only reason we don’t have a republican president is the party’s failure to produce a moderate candidate with name recognition. History has proven that the election was the republican’s to lose, and they lost it for the simple reason of not getting a candidate that moderates could stomach. And despite that telling failure they STILL managed to make a race of it. Blame it on turnout? That willful blindness makes it doubtful we’ll get a republican president in the next decade or two.

Jan 23, 2013 6:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
crod526 wrote:

Ryan hasn’t learned his lesson yet. They lost because they didnt ave good ideas for the majority of Americans. Keep blaming it on other reasons and the Republicans will lose again.

Jan 23, 2013 6:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
levotb wrote:

Just another RINO who refuses to accept the truth–and that is, he and Romney lost because a sizeable number of Conservatives stayed home in key Midwest states! WHY did they stay home? Not because of a “lack of communication” but because of POLICY! Conservatives in-the-know weren’t about to put a liberal and a RINO into The White House when that liberal (Romney) was promoting a massive Amnesty-Guestworker plan he shouted about in the second debate. Rep. Ryan needs to read Peter Brimelow’s and Steve Sailer’s pieces following the Election at vdare. There are countless other columns since the Election showing their loss had nothing to do with “the Latino vote”.

Jan 23, 2013 6:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Lower turnout tends to work out better for Republicans, because people that don’t show up to vote tend to be either poor or live in communities where it’s difficult to vote, who tend to favor Democrats. If there were a higher turnout Republicans likely would have lost even worse, since many of the people that voted for Obama last time didn’t vote this time.
This is also coming from the party that intentionally tried to discourage high turnout with arbitrary voter ID laws. Have your cake and eat it too I guess.

Jan 23, 2013 6:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Kady101 wrote:

I think that’s fairly accurate.

I’d also add (a) the advantage of incumbency, (b) Romney was an average candidate (policy aside), while Obama is a very good candidate (policy aside).

There will always be a few (hundred) malcontents who think that this has something to do with a lack of centrism, but two things: a) the economic conservativism as esposed by R/R was not particularly conservative by ideological standards, but simply appeared so to some because of the lack of financial discipline we’ve become accustomed to in Washington, and b) history shows that republicans run poorly as centrists, and stronger when they are unapologetic about how and why economic conervativism works.

Put another way, there should have been a lot less sermonizing on conservative principles, and a lot more messaging like “Hey, buddy, you want a job or you want welfare? Keep in mind the job will ALWAYS pay you a lot more.”

Jan 23, 2013 7:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
NowYouKnow wrote:

The liberal media did it. Do you remember the news stories about a slow down in donations to the Democrats and the stories about poor attendance at rallies? All fabricated by the media to keep Republicans home in front of TV reruns of The Mentalist. It worked.

Jan 23, 2013 7:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
susette wrote:

They lost on their rhetoric. No one but the very derranged could follow their line of thinking. From Mitt’s description of the factory he has in China, with its armed guards and ten women to a room, and “no one in no one out policy”, plus his 47% don’t like me but I can’t worry about them, I am obliged to defend those who have the money in my campaign; Ryan’s ideological castration of women’s rights, women’s choice, and freedom of religion for ALL, not just his religion. No they lost because not enough of the popular vote can support such madness.

Jan 23, 2013 7:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
susette wrote:

We have great ideas, just that nobody agrees with us. That’s because they are ill informed and not intelligent by our standards. Good riddance and don’t come back.

Jan 23, 2013 7:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Centaur70 wrote:

Sir I think you are delusional. I believe a ticket with Mr. Jon Hunstman and General Colin Powell would have won the presidential election. I think you made your message very clear. Americans, including republicans like me, flatly rejected it.

Jan 23, 2013 7:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sylvan wrote:

Oh yes, he just need more clip art on his power point presentations….
The problem is his pointed head.

Jan 23, 2013 7:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

Former Republican, Libertarian here. For me it isn’t poor communication, it is your social policies, ie your attack on civil liberties, and the GOP’s constant claims to be fiscal conservatives yet their actions and track record show the opposite.

Jan 23, 2013 7:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MyHeadHurts wrote:

“Ending a self-imposed silence……” W H Y ???
How can someone holding a major office in government be so
DELUSIONAL? Maybe someone should mail him a clue, because he sure doesn’t have one of his own.

Jan 23, 2013 7:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Gigimoderate wrote:

Typical….it wasn’t my fault! I do not take responsibility for being a loser. News flash…..the majority of Americans reject your extreme right wing Ideology!

Jan 23, 2013 7:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse

the closer to election day the more romney moved left.
the republicians didn’t trust him because of romney care, so why vote for someone you don’t trust and who is moving further left everyday when there is already a leftie in the WH?
Romney didn’t stand up to obama and certainly didn’t stand up for the right so why should the voters waste their time and vote?

Jan 23, 2013 7:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mrivera wrote:

Romney lost because he didn’t want it enough. Like McCain when he suspended his campaign when he pulled ahead of Obama,Romney eased up when he surged ahead in the polls after the 1st debate. He kept insisting the Obama was a nice man who just wasn’t good at his job, while Obama painted him as a billionaire murderer who hated women and dogs.

Jan 23, 2013 7:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Max17 wrote:

How could anyone disagree? Elections are all about message and turnout. DUH!

My question for the RINOs that told us ‘Romney is the only guy that can win’ is, why was the message so bad? (HINT: NOBODY votes for a message aimed at the ‘moderates’.) As for turnout, my statement to the RINOs is this, you threw away an easily winable election because your ‘message’ did not turn out your base.

Sadly the RINOs learned nothing from their self-defeat. That is why we will continue to throw them out of office for real conservatives.

Jan 23, 2013 7:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
IraqWarVet wrote:

Neither me nor my wife voted for Romney because of his sycophancy towards Israel, and our belief he would do nothing about getting rid of illegals.

Jan 23, 2013 7:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
halle wrote:

I think Romney lost because of social issues as well. It is to bad that you have to be
a social conservative to appeal to the conservatives. I myself am a fiscal conservative.
When Romney spoke about Roe v Wade to Diane Sawyer, I knew then that he lost the election. On another note, Obama lied about him wanting to take away contraceptives
for women. He never said that. He said that the government should not be paying
for abortions and contraceptives. Romney failed to straighten that out and just let
Obama pound away on the so called war on women. Obama also lied about Mitt
sending jobs over seas. The Bain capitol ad was a lie and was proven by fact checker.
Immigration was also a problem, but it is over now so I am tired of trying to figure it out.

Jan 23, 2013 7:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RightStuff44 wrote:

I’ve found that those who keep talking about the message being “old fashioned” say it because they no nothing about history. They literally think that history began with their last bowel movement. Therefore, we are going to relive all the mistakes of the past, just like they have never been made before. Intellectual laziness causes much misery.

Jan 23, 2013 7:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
neilc23 wrote:

Ryan has been in Washington too long and doesn’t know what’s happening in technology and the world.

As a fiscal Conservative, I challenge him to change the retirement benefits of federal bureaucrats so that they reflect what Americans receive. Specifically, less than 10% of all private-sector employees receive Defined Retirement Benefits. Meanwhile, ALL federal employees and members of Congress receive these benefits which GUARANTEE pensions. If he were a true fiscal Conservative, that’s the first thing that he’d give up and fight for.

Neither the Conservatives nor Liberals in Congress believe that “We in the private-sector are Americans too”. It’s almost as if they flunked out in the private-sector and decided to use their mealy-mouths to make a living. In fact, Obama and Biden have absolutely no background in the productive free-enterprise system, and as such, have no clue on what “productivity” means.

Eventually, Americans will find out the the Left and the Right are equally ego-centric and mentally sick people. At that time, America has a chance to renew its traditions. As former President John F. Kennedy said, “Ask not what America can do for you. Ask what you can do for America”.

Jan 23, 2013 7:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
alanamerica wrote:

Turn out was poor because Evangelicals would rather have four years of Obama than a Mormon. Well they got what they wanted and we will all have to live with it.

Jan 23, 2013 7:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RPhillips111 wrote:

Paul Ryan hasn’t learned anything since 2010. He still wants to cut medicare and social security. Instead of the things which can and should be cut from the budget, Paul Ryan wants to tamper with programs which will automatically defeat him. Go for it again, Paul.

Ryan has also embraced the Bush-McCain-Rubio-Obama mass amnesty for 10-20 million illegals, and scores of millions of their relatives waiting to come over and vote Democratic, Paul, not Republican.

As for messaging in the campaign being the cause of Romney/Ryan’s defeat, the Romney campaign let us know the day after that the campaign was not based on issues. It was based on the consultant’s belief that Obama was not popular with his base, and they would not come out and vote for him. And there’s more. We learn from Tradd Romney that his did didn’t even want to be President, he wanted to be home with his family. Tradd and Mrs. Romney had to convince him to run, apparently by telling Mitt that he was the only candidte who could do the job.

The most important Presidential election since 1860, and the Republican nominee had no ambition to run, nor a clue how to campaign or win. Yet, to Ryan, Mitt Romney is “a leader” the Party can learn from?

Jan 23, 2013 8:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
krusatyr wrote:

Ryan is absolutely right, the basic message of GOP for free enterprise, opportunity and prosperity did not sufficiently challenge the democrat statists feeding faux-security to their parasitic pets.

Jan 23, 2013 8:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LisaColorado wrote:

I still feel bad about the elections. In conservatism, when you work hard and you succeed, you own that success. Well, that’s what happened with the Barack campaign. They made it happen. I heard today of one young man who was weeping with love and joy during the inauguration speech. I couldn’t watch it.

I went to the Ryan Rally in Greeley and heard Lee Greenwood sing. We were lined up to get in, and it was good. We had so much hope. As we left the rally some ragtaggers (males) were yelling something about vaginas. Nuts, but true-believing ones.

Today I talked to some Dems and they were saying “the government is going to give us more now.”

I wanted Romney for president. He made a living straightening out corporations. I think Tagg Romney was just being an honest little Mormon. I’m from Utah, not a Mormon myself, but I think Romney would’ve handled the economy well. I didn’t get what I wanted–Obama was too popular.

Now it’s up to conservatives to face the way things are now and stop talking about things we don’t want. They’re happening now. We will have to clarify. We will have to look to 4 or 8 years from now ’cause Lord knows, Hillary was only second place to Obama in how much she cares…We can do what the poverty-minded people have done. We can get off our duffs and start to learn who we are again and rebuild our base. I need it.

Jan 23, 2013 8:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
KellyMontana wrote:

All–There is a Drudgereport link here, so expect a certain type of comments. I think that the problem with the Romney/ Ryan ticket was not a lack of communication, but a realization by a slight majority of the American population who heard the communications that Romney and Ryan were simply wrong for the country.

Jan 23, 2013 9:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Exactly. And as long as the Republican Establishment gives us thinly-disguised closet socialists as their candidates, they will continue to lose. As a small-government conservative, I’d like to see a viable third party arise–one which has no connection to the monopoly Demopublican party that is now destroying our nation at the behest of our supercapitalists.

Jan 23, 2013 9:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
samtris wrote:

The reason is not the message. No 1 has talked about the few million supporters Ron Paul had, that felt disenfranchised that opted not to vote. I don’t understand weather you like him or not why his impact still gets ignored.Its not even looked at for the republicans losing.

Jan 23, 2013 9:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The biggest problem is the Elite Republican Establishment, which has completely lost touch with WE the people. Despite millions of us clearly warning we would NOT vote for another Liberal Lite, they intentionally ramrodded a Liberal Lite Flip-Flopping Shape Shifter onto the ballots. As WE promised, several MILLION of us refused to vote for the presidential slot. They sent Liberal Lite Dole…! Then they sent Liberal Lite McCain… who would have lost in a Landslide except for the last minute addition of Sarah Palin… THEN, having heard noting and learned nothing, they sent the guy who already LOST to McCain. It just doesn’t compute in their ELITE brains that WE the people will not accept a pale copy of Liberalism. The Republican Elite will either wake up and get in the game or WE will simply form another Political Party and let them continue their self-chosen slow suicide.

Jan 23, 2013 9:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Mike113 wrote:

No, it wasn’t “poor communication” that led to the Republican defeat; the American public was well aware of the callous, greedy, vicious, warmongering Republican policies designed to enrich the most unscrupulous of the billionaires, and rip off all the rest of us.

Jan 23, 2013 9:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JuanH wrote:

Communication is the issue, but not as Mr. Ryan explains. The reason why Obama got elected is because the K through 12 system turns out students who have no idea what American exceptionalism is and it trains them to be international citizens. The young uniformed and misguided class provided the key swing vote. Now we are well on our way to the loss of more and more freedoms and the complete abandonment of even a pretense of following the Constitution. While we were sleeping, public school was used to brainwash America. Welcome to a world run by central banks.

Jan 23, 2013 10:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JiveDadson wrote:

Obviously it had nothing to do with nominating a candidate who agreed with Obama on everything important. Nothing to do with cheating and alienating Ron Paul supporters. Naaaah.

Jan 23, 2013 11:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
FrankTalker wrote:

Well duh! Apart from his mistake of caving in to the establishment and supporting the 2008-2009 bailout, Paul Ryan would have been quite a capable fiscal conservative to have in the White House.

Unfortunately he appeared lobotomized by the Romney people who reduced his entire vocabulary to vague, simplistic, generalized talking points devoid of any policy substance during the campaign.

Jan 23, 2013 11:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
skyking1100 wrote:

If the Republicans wanted to win the election, then completely overlooking Ron Paul and/or Huntsman was their mistake. Romney was too liberal for conservatives and not liberal enough for moderate independents. How can you be against abortion and gun-control when you advocated both while governor of Massachusetts?

The last two nominees for president on the Republican side have been completely awful…John McCain and Romney? The Republican establishment clearly cares just as much as the Democrat party. While I agree with Paul Ryan’s budget concerns, he really is out of touch with the reasons which cost the Republicans the election. Try being conservative Mr. Ryan…

Jan 23, 2013 11:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
war_elephant wrote:

That is what happens when you use the same advisors who LOST for John McCain. The fact that McCain went out of his way to lose didnt help, but by using the same Republican strategy of playing mild mannered Democrat lite, they had the same result. You would have had a better chance of winning using Democrat strategerists. Conservatives turned off Romney and Ryan for that reason, if they wanted Democrat lite, why not just vote Democrat and have the real thing. Until the Republicans understand that there must be a MARKED difference between the parties, they will continue to lose.

Jan 23, 2013 11:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Burns0011 wrote:

Bull. It was the heartless, vicious, arrogant, and downright inhumane platform of the Republican Party, the almost fascist behavior of Republican state houses, along with years of rampant and deliberate obstructionism, that caused the election loss. The only reason it was as close as it was, was because of Citizens United and Republican gerrymandering of districts.

And they want to continue both, so that they can shut out over half the people of the USA and take control forever.

Jan 23, 2013 11:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JBRoux wrote:

Correct, Mr. Ryan and Mr. Romney did their part of getting their beliefs out. A lot of voters don’t listen to the speeches, and form their opinions from the “news” sources that they watch, which may not convey the message as intended. Mr. Ryan is correct that the conservatives should get their message out in other media resources, which will give the message to a larger share of the public, instead of just preaching to the choir.

Jan 23, 2013 11:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
caradoc wrote:

The problem had nothing to do with communication, technology, or message. We now sadly live in a society where there is an effective – though not literal – monopoly on information. From people’s first unionized kindergarten teacher, to their ex-hippie college prof, to their “tingly” nightly newscaster, almost all information delivered to the population comes from a left wing perspective, with accompanying left-wing spin. Garbage in, garbage out. If enough people actually looked past their prettily packaged TV news and bothered to actually learn about things and think their own thoughts rather than those “the science is in on”, there would never be another democrat elected this century.

Jan 24, 2013 1:09am EST  --  Report as abuse
mike3121 wrote:

Social changes came before the political changes. It’s now a democrat world out there and there’s more of them than us. It will be hard for any Republican to get elected on the national level for many years to com.

Sorry that’s what we have now.

Jan 24, 2013 1:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
sailordude wrote:

I blame Romney for losing because he picked Ryan as his VP and not Rubio. He lost by around 100,000 votes spread out in 4 swing states, if he had picked Rubio he would have won Florida at least. Picking Ryan got him ZERO.

Jan 24, 2013 3:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
fromthecenter wrote:

Maybe he should re-read ann rynd?

Jan 24, 2013 3:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
klg1956 wrote:

The reason 3 mil people stayed home is because Mr. Romney was Obama lite…he instituted Obamacare in his own state which is big govt and anti-conservative….and another 3 mil voted for Obama …because they could not punch that chad for a Mormon…they’d rather vote for a Marxist…..and when 3 mil illegal voters (illegals, dead people, jailed) voted, that does it for electing a Prez…..you think the GOP would get it but they don’t, they think they are smarter than the average “joe America” but they aren’t smarter, they just think they are…kinda like the “self esteem” problem America is having today…and I don’t mean the lack of it, Americans rank number one in self esteem, and we are turning out narcissists which makes for a stupid voting block.

Jan 24, 2013 3:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
BuffaloGirl wrote:

Ryan is still in denial, like most of the far right.

Centaur70 makes a good point, along with others. The GOP chose the wrong pair, 2 years in a row. Huntsman would have made for a much stronger contender. Powell would have spiced it up nicely.

Having said that, my guy won and I’m mighty pleased!

Jan 24, 2013 5:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
Gazinya wrote:

I believe that the answer to ‘why we lost’ is not political but something more to the core of what is ‘the new norm’. The Obama and his people won, in my opinion, is that there was no recognisable ‘political party’that wanted to defeat him. Many of us, maybe 25% of the population, wanted our culture to be defended. These people wanted the lie of ‘multicultureism’ to be exposed. It is our founding culture of God, Family, Unity, charity and individual responsibility that has been assulted by the ‘political party’. Our culture has been demonized as racist, hateful, greedy, evil, homophobic, anti-science, anti-(you name it) and too religious. The 75% that attacked the Palins were the same that shouted ‘NO’ to the inclusion of even the word of ‘God’ in their lives. Repubs and Dems are not the solution. Check yourself! Buried under the lies is an American Culture. Peddle that to Victory.

Jan 24, 2013 7:13am EST  --  Report as abuse
lightshade wrote:

Sadly, most people fail to realize that this “far right ‘so called’ conservative agenda” is more in line with the Democrats own party from several decades ago. The entire country has simply shifted to the left in ideology. “Conservatives” of today are just the Liberals of yester-year.

Ryan can’t say it, but what won the election was having the majority of the voter base beholden to the government for handouts with the Democrats preaching more of that kind of government. The sad part is the math doesn’t work on that type of government. The path we’re on is unsustainable regardless of what you “feel” is right and “think” should be done. Its simple math. We cannot afford to do what we’re doing.

I don’t think politicians on either side of the aisle have what it takes to fix this issue and make the serious cuts in spending that need to be made, but I do know that the Republican Party is leaps and bounds more likely to do it than the Democrats.

The “tax-rate” as a percentage of GDP hasn’t changed in the last 50 years by more than a percentage point or so either way. Raise taxes in one area, lose the revenues in another. The economy has demonstrated that the percentage of GDP that can be gained from taxes will remain the same regardless of what Congress does. The only thing that has really changed is Government Spending…yet all we talk about is raising taxes.

We should be talking about why we need to raise taxes. Oh yeah, we don’t have sustainable spending practices.

Jan 24, 2013 7:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
Doug57 wrote:

Romney lost because 2.1 million idiots pledged to not vote for him because he was Mormon. All together, 6 million non-Hispanic whites who voted in 2008 chose not to participate in the 2012 election. As for FortHastings and others, they could not tell you the differences between Obama and Romney ideas. The ignorance of the American pseudo-Left is profound. There is much less difference politically between Bill Clinton and Romney than there is between Clinton and Obama.

Jan 24, 2013 8:16am EST  --  Report as abuse
Luxomni wrote:

It couldn’t have anything to do with the candidate you forced on us and the tactics you used to do it? If we have wanted a RINO, we would have voted for Barak Obama. We wanted an end to this crap, the endless foriegn “interventions”, Government control over medicina and every other minute aspect of our live, and government overreach and overspending to the point of absurdity. Romney was no more than Obama lite.

Jan 24, 2013 8:21am EST  --  Report as abuse
radiomankc wrote:

Bad philosophy, bad messaging, bad candidates, bad strategy. And outclassed, even though they rigged the House districts to retain more seats than they deserved. Ryan can blame anybody he wants. Romney was sooo wrong on so many levels. And the Republicans knew it all along. I think they lost because they didn’t cheat enough.

Jan 24, 2013 8:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
Chris08 wrote:

Of course he doesn’t get it. The GOP problem is not marketing; it is the product. The GOP “product” is something the public doesn’t buy, Period.

Jan 24, 2013 8:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
mghaluska wrote:

The Republicans lost the Presidential race for several key reasons:

1. The “Old Guard” insists on running old, rich white guys whom the mainstream media immediately stereotype as Mr. Potter from “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I can already see them lining up behind yet another Bush family member, and the press is salivating at the idea.

2. The “Old Guard” couldn’t stomach the idea of a non-white running mate and stupidly threw away millions of Latino voters by not going with Marco Rubio.

3. Over 50% of eligible voters DON’T VOTE. The Republican Party ignores this segment and tries to convince moderates and liberals to vote against their decades old government security blankets. The reason a major portion of this group doesn’t vote is because they don’t see a nickle’s worth of difference between the ACTIONS of either party! The Republicans under Bush spent like drunken sailors and went along with every ridiculous spending bill the Democrats put forth.

4. The Republican Party needs to grow a pair and start really going after the mainstream media’s blatant bias. Between now and 2015 spend a ton of money exposing the media and forcing them to explain and justify or admit that they are in the bag for Democrats! Use the power of withholding or redirecting corporate advertising dollars to media outlets that report fairly and objectively.

Jan 24, 2013 8:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Texasbil wrote:

I must say they did a lot better with voter turnout because some of the libsuckers voted 7 or 8 times.

Jan 24, 2013 8:56am EST  --  Report as abuse
ss31704 wrote:

With 90% of the mainstream media against you, it is hard to get your message out. The rest of the blame rests with the messengers…Mr. Ryan and Mr. Romney.

Jan 24, 2013 9:03am EST  --  Report as abuse
ss31704 wrote:

With 90% of the mainstream media against you, it is hard to get your message out. The rest of the blame rests with the messengers…Mr. Ryan and Mr. Romney.

Jan 24, 2013 9:03am EST  --  Report as abuse
Jeff081 wrote:

I think it’s more like two boring white guys on the same ticket. One was bad enough this past election, but two? Forget about it. If Romney had picked Rubio, he would have won. We’re never gonna have another white president, let alone a republican one, and with the way the dems are handing out free citizenships, there’ll be more Hispanic voters than blacks and whites combined. We’ll probably have a president soon that can’t even speak English, and probably won’t have to.

Jan 24, 2013 9:04am EST  --  Report as abuse
JebS wrote:

Romney wasn’t up to it. Obama came for a street fight with his gang while Romney showed up with a boy scout troop. No contest.

You dummies in the establishment Republican group have just followed the pattern of giving us one stuffed suit after another. Examples, Ford, Dole, McCain, and Romney as nothing but party mascots. Thanks for nothing and I’ll never send you guys another dime. I only did it this time because of the threat from O to our country. Now with his open borders project we’re done.

Jan 24, 2013 9:06am EST  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

Ryan is doing what any good politician would do – organizing for the next election. The GOP knows what the message was, and they know it didn’t win, so what is the next step? Begin brainwashing the public that they DID want to help the poor move up the “ladder of life”. And blame the voters (“bad turnout”) for the loss. If they repeat that for the next four years, then most Republican voters will believe it because they want to. Repeat the lie long enough….and by the next election, the message of this one will be remembered as “helping the poor up the ladder of life”.

The GOP message was anything but obscure, plus we had HOW LONG leading up to the Primary to listen to its different versions: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 ….The ditz in AK, Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Romney. The GOP won’t play “Toss the Republican Against the Wall to See Who Sticks” next time.

Watch. This is all political positioning. Which message won the 2012 election? THAT’S the one they’ll go with in ’16.

Ryan is an evil snake, but he’s not stupid.

Jan 24, 2013 9:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

@Randall22000 wrote:

“We smart neocons are still going to stay rich because you morons are still going to spend your little pay checks and welfare checks buying what we sell. So FU!! And when I have had enough of you trash, I am going to live on a beach in Panama…”

This is the typical voter to whom the GOP panders. And Ryan says they didn’t get their message across!

Jan 24, 2013 9:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
RPhillips111 wrote:

Reading these posts, I’m struck by the fact that a great many respondents refer to Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney as “far right”, when in fact, as other posters point out, Mitt Romney is certainly liberal on a great many issues, though he is devoutly religious–as are many liberals. I voted for him, but only because Obama is much to the left of Romney.

Paul Ryan is also probably less conservative than his detractors give him credit for, but he is a fiscal hawk, which causes a lot of people, including the Tea Party, to think of him as conservative. He also opposes abortion, but I can tell, being anti-abortion does not a conservative make.

The fact is, the two happiest people in America election night were Obama and Jeb Bush, who sees a clear path to the Republican nomination in 2016 and the continued ownership of the Republican Party by the Bush family. And that is as big a threat to this country as Obama, because Big Brother Bush 2 reportedly said as President “The Constitution is just a piece of paper”.

Republicns have to take their party back from the Bush family before they deserve to elect a President. Right now, not in 2014, 2016, or 2020. Right now, and I see no indication that is happening.

Jan 24, 2013 9:43am EST  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

mghaluska wrote:

“spend a ton of money exposing the media and forcing them to explain and justify or admit that they are in the bag for Democrats! Use the power of withholding or redirecting corporate advertising dollars to media outlets that report fairly and objectively”

Sort of like what corporations have done to Congress. Corporations have NEVER wanted the truth to come out.

One of the foundations of this nation’s freedom is freedom of the press.

Think “Obama Lite” is an issue? Try “China Lite”.

Jan 24, 2013 9:50am EST  --  Report as abuse

I blame Romney’s loss, in three parts:
1) His choice of Ryan for VP.
2) Romney’s lack of will to win, it was his to lose, he had no stomach for the fight.
3) A m a l f e a s e n t media in-the-tank for Bambi

Jan 24, 2013 10:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
BrendaStarr wrote:

Lose the election? Blame yo-self!!!

Jan 24, 2013 10:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
AlfBundy wrote:

Ryan stop trying to be loyal. Romney LOST because he is not far right enough. If you go against the Left with a less-left leaning Republican the R’s will lose it every time! Time to turn hard right and start crushing the Left’s base of funding. Nothing Obama proposes is good for the average American!

Jan 24, 2013 10:28am EST  --  Report as abuse
AlfBundy wrote:

Ryan stop trying to be loyal. Romney LOST because he is not far right enough. If you go against the Left with a less-left leaning Republican the R’s will lose it every time! Time to turn hard right and start crushing the Left’s base of funding. Nothing Obama proposes is good for the average American!

Jan 24, 2013 10:28am EST  --  Report as abuse
AlfBundy wrote:

Ryan stop trying to be loyal. Romney LOST because he is not far right enough. If you go against the Left with a less-left leaning Republican the R’s will lose it every time! Time to turn hard right and start crushing the Left’s base of funding. Nothing Obama proposes is good for the average American!

Jan 24, 2013 10:28am EST  --  Report as abuse
WutUP wrote:

I would say his main problem is that his “brilliant” plan to balance the budget was a joke. We need a balanced budget yesterday, not 50 years from now, which will be long after the US collapses

Jan 24, 2013 10:32am EST  --  Report as abuse
Miguel526 wrote:

The criminal organization generally known as MSM with it’s academia-led politicized minions of inner-city and academia’s inbred corruption held steady for their man, Obama, who rose up out of the most corrupt city in the entire US,: Chicago, Ill.

Academia is melded at the hip of DC’s and Chicago’s many money bags of self-interest plunder of the public treasuries, every bit as much as 100% of the ex-governors of Ill, and the multitudes of Chicago-based government officials who face more federal charges than those from the entire rest of the US combined.

Hillary’s bald-faced, accusatory, ignorant lies which we all saw yesterday are common to these self-entitled, highly-organized DC/Chicago insider thieves all of whom have done such an excellent job of bamboozling a Roman-style public, . . with MSM’s very purposeful help.

Jan 24, 2013 10:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
Heretic2011 wrote:

It’ was because the Republicans ran a couple of Rino’s . If we wanted a Democrat president, we’d vote Democrat.

Jan 24, 2013 11:00am EST  --  Report as abuse

Gee Paul, it couldn’t be that the Republicans ran (yet another) weak candidate? Bob Dole or John McCain ring any bells? Unless the Republican Party quits with “The Good Ole Boy Network” of choosing candidates, John Boehner will be ‘the guy” in 2016 and the Elephants will be scratching their collective butts and wondering what happened and why they lost yet again. Oh yeah, if you have any aspirations of running, don’t. You and Rand Paul remind me too much of Chris Christie. He was the ‘golden boy’ for awhile too and now the true sleazy, back biting, Liberal politician comes out…

Jan 24, 2013 11:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
hugbear281 wrote:

Look Romney lost because
1- Local networks nationwide did not air Romney’s points, but pushed Obama’s points.
2- Romney did not “dumb down” his speeches…he talked on a college level..you needed to talk to the ditch digger…like Presidents in 1800s
3- GOP just puts these multimillionaires in office…forget Elites…choose a man of the people … yea the middle class cherishes one who knows their pain…next time this Rhino will vote Libertarian…Im throwing in the towel…because you guys are so up yourselves…you don’t see the light!

Jan 24, 2013 11:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
CindyBP wrote:

Oh, good lord. Romney/Ryan lost because yet again the GOPe ran another flipping liberal at the top of the ticket.
You can not run a guy nearly identical to the current person and expect to win.

Jan 24, 2013 11:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
Gandaffy wrote:

The Republicans lost and will continue to lose as long as the RNC continues to try to dictate policy to the grass roots.

The GOP has been spending it’s time trying to crush the liberty movement and the tea party, because the GOP establishment is not a limited government, constitution loving, democratic entity of any known type.

That is why Reince Preibus should be replaced by Mark Willis of Maine. and it is also why Boehner came one vote shy of being challenged for the gavel. The internal power struggle could still go either way, but the establishment loses it’s influence either way.

The GOP leadership is owned by the FED, the fed will do anything to keep it’s actions secret and it’s global financial dictatorship firmly ensconced, including start the currency world war that is already well under way, soon the bombs will be dropping everywhere.

We must put real patriots in these positions of power real AMERICA 1STERS!

Jan 24, 2013 11:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
hugbear281 wrote:

Romney lost by being so anti latino…the numbers state that Obama received most of the latino vote…where he should have kept that at bay and goto the middle of the issue….fact is Obama won due to the Latino vote…unfortunately…LEARN GOP OR YOU ARE DOOMED due to stupidity!

Jan 24, 2013 11:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
Glubber wrote:

No…anybody that has a BRAIN will realize that the loss can be SOLELY contributed to a media that is SO in the tank for Obama that there is NO way to get your message out besides FoxNews. THINK of this, my little liberal friends…Diane Sawyer on ABC news spent FIFTEEN minutes of her precious 30 minute nightly news time to talk about Romney’s 47% line caught on tape. Consider that she spent around 30 seconds on Benghazi. I ALWAYS look at my liberal friends and FIRST ask them if there is media bias towards Democrats. If they say no..then it is like talking to a brick wall and I walk away. Makes more sense talking to a two year old!

Jan 24, 2013 11:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
Gandaffy wrote:

I would have to say Ryan has a point, with Reuters between what Ryan said and what the voters heard, it is no doubt more difficult to communicate.

Jan 24, 2013 11:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
Gandaffy wrote:

I would have to say Ryan has a point, with Reuters between what Ryan said and what the voters heard, it is no doubt more difficult to communicate.

Jan 24, 2013 11:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
arnoldripkin wrote:

So your running mate tells 47% of the population he’s not going to represent them. Now you need nearly 100% of the other 53% to win. Brilliant strategy! Then claim that a big tax cut for the rich and (undefined spending cuts) will magically lower the deficit. That kind of fairyland BS only works with dems who are eager to believe in their leaders. Most conservatives live in the real world.

Jan 24, 2013 11:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
JLynnR wrote:

I, for one, don’t think Obama won legitimately. Voter fraud was a factor. Aside from that, Obama and his ilk had the media lie and cover for them in breathtaking fashion.

Romney/Ryan’s message wasn’t wrong, it was just that nearly half of the population was too ignorant to know what they were talking about. And for the few who did understand, they didn’t like the message of creating an economy that grew jobs. Obama voters don’t want to work. Obama voters voted for their hand-out lifestyle.

Jan 24, 2013 11:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Statistician wrote:

“The fault, dear Brutus…” For a party that stresses personal responsibility, there is plenty of blaming someone else for November’s outcome and none of these explanations rings true to me. 1. Many commenters here blame the news media. This is a very tired horse that can’t carry a load anymore. There are dozens of channels from MSNBC to Fox that carry news content. Each seeks its own niche. If Fox News can’t garner a majority of viewers, then it is unlikely that most Americans look to it for quality information. 2. Others blame turnout. We have had low turnout for years. No one, however, is suggesting that we move to a system like Australia in which one can be fined for not voting. In fact, if anything, the GOP has worked this past year to limit the franchise. If the party’s message really did resonate with a majority, they would push to make voting much easier and encourage turnout. 3. The most foolish of all is the 47% sort of stories. This thought that nearly half of Americans are parasites or moochers is repugnant. Such thinking should have been left behind in one’s sophomore year at college when Ayn Rand seemed to make sense. It reveals a nastiness that repels support. Try this experiment: find a friend from another religion or even denomonation from you. Explain to them how your own religion is far closer to the will of God than theirs. Suggest that they are damned because of their refusal to accept your truth. See if you ever get invited to their house, or even acknowledged on the street, after that. Insulting others and belittling them has never been recommended as the path to winning allies. The party has to stop treating the rest of America as if it alone is virtuous. 4. The suggestion that the party must push for even greater doctrinal purity (which always reminds me of old racial purity sentiments) in conservatism, and using the odious term RINO, will only cost the party. If you have already written off half the population (see 47% above), why would paring down even further give you a majority? I think it is critical that I have never seen the term DINO. That part of the GOP that pushes ever further right seems to be aiming to achieve Henry Clay’s statement, “I would rather be right than be President.”

Jan 24, 2013 12:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RedRaven3115 wrote:

This is just not true – The GOP RIHNO’s do not want people to know that the reason Romeny lost was because many thousands of Christains did not vote. If the GOP doesn’t stop pushing the gay agenda secretly the GOP will never have a President again. Half of my friends including my self did not vote for Romney.

It is a nation of principles or a liberal nation: there is not in between either we follow our founders Biblical principles or were done for.

Jan 24, 2013 12:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hombre41 wrote:

And, of course, fraud, in those states that do not require voter I’d.

Jan 24, 2013 12:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse

With reference to the Republican loss in the recent election, I think there is another important factor that has not received sufficient attention. Too many people who are not robot voters for either party but who tend to reject the liberal inclinations in this country were very negatively affected by the republican primary campaign. In particular, the savage, unfair, and often outright deceptive campaigning for Romney in the primary greatly diminished his support among many of us. Who wants to support a candidate who exhibits the same kind of deceptive practices as those who are already in office?

Jan 24, 2013 1:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hombre41 wrote:

Also, Obamadupes, well represented in comments here, don’t get, or don’t care, about the consequences to our children of unsustainable debt, protracted unemployment, and the slowest, read that: “stalled,” economic recovery in history. They also don’t mind the Administration supplying weapons to drug lords in Mexico and Islamic jihadists in Libya and Syria. Etc., etc.

But really, it was “the message” that defeated the Republicans – at least the limited portion that low information Obama voters were able to comprehend that was spoon fed to them by the Obamamedia. You know, free birth control, abortion on demand, gay marriage all that “important” stuff that keeps us prosperous and secure.

We’re toast!

Jan 24, 2013 1:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ofilha wrote:

“We have to learn that,” said Ryan, chairman of the House of Representatives Budget Committee. “We have to fix that.”

I guess he is right… He needs to learn that.

Jan 24, 2013 1:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ofilha wrote:

yes sir, it’s us poor dumb folks. We are the 47% that don’t get nothing.
Thank you sir for making your message much more clear.

Jan 24, 2013 1:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

it isn’t just a river in Eqypt…

Jan 24, 2013 2:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
iMom wrote:

Mr. Ryan didn’t even carry his hometown, so I think it’s a bit more than “technology and turnout”. Republicans really need to rediscover the William F. Buckley side of themselves and less of the tea party screeching or they will end up like the Whig party (who? exactly!).

Jan 24, 2013 2:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Frenchman42 wrote:

Rep. Ryan is correct. We have become a “Apathetic America”, with little thought about the message or the messager. When 40% of eligible voters stay home, the minority will win ever time.

Jan 24, 2013 3:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ptiffany wrote:

Hilarious! Sad.

Jan 24, 2013 4:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ptiffany wrote:

It’s interesting that the ones who think they are entitled to feed at the taxpayers’ trough are the Wall Street Casinos who expect to be reimbursed for their gambling losses.

Recipients of Social Security and Medicare have been told for decades that their FICA (payroll) contributions are expected to cover their retirement expenses. The Social Security Administration still claims that is true throug their annual statements except that Congress has been stealing from the Social Security “Trust” Fund for decades with IOUs that they have never, ever repaid. In private business, this would be labeled embezzlement and the perpetrators would be ultimately sent to jail.

Jan 24, 2013 4:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse

As I read the comments below I am amazed at the vitriolic responses that comes from the all accepting Democrat Party. I guess you only accept those who think like you.
As for the country turnig liberal, with 98% of the media not reporting facts and effectively promoting Obama and with over $63,000,000.00 in Union donations to his campaign ( bet that money would have done more good going to the unemployed union workers) he only managed to win by only 3.6 million votes.

Once again, we deal with facts.

Jan 24, 2013 4:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
fromthecenter wrote:

I can’t believe how many of you are blaming that damn liberal media. I guess by that you mean everything except Fox news, beck and limbaugh?

Jan 24, 2013 4:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Titicaca71 wrote:

As an Independent (former Rep), I voted for Mitt this round because I disagree with the larger direction for America the Democrats historically envision, but it was a tough call. Their message wasn’t so much the problem as the subtext. It wouldn’t have been nearly as hard if they had divorced themselves from the lunatic fringe that has hijacked the “party of Reagan” and turned it into an backward, hateful, devisive bully pulpit. They opted to pander to it, and though they got my vote this time, they don’t have my loyalty and may not be so lucky next time.

Jan 24, 2013 4:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MrGCostanza wrote:

This is what substitute for taking responsibility among the GOP.

Jan 24, 2013 5:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
benfct wrote:

A self-imposed exile if very suitable for a man of his low intellect. Supply-side economics–fool, please. Please provide evidence that Martin Feldstein, Reagan’s economic advisor, is still on that lost bus.

The Republicans lost because you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. The Republican economic agenda is largely contrary to the self-interest of most Americans, and the only reason they can win any elections is their diversion of attention to abortion, gun control, gay marriage and other pseudo-nostalgic side dishes accompanying their main course–short-sighted protection of the privileges of the wealthy.

This many belongs back in his daddy’s business, where he can breathe life into another extinct observation about American society, by a much more intelligent capitalist: shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.

In this we were correct: vote with your feet!
A

Jan 24, 2013 5:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ConstFundie wrote:

Ryan is an anti-intellectual for good reason.

Jan 24, 2013 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mod9 wrote:

He lost ground in his own district but of course he’s too arrogant to admit that….

Jan 24, 2013 6:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sarkozyrocks wrote:

Paul, “tech and turnout”??? Are you kidding??? Paul, it was Mitt’s milquetoast personality and to a lesser extent your own naive inexperience which lost this election. I voted for Mitt, but conservative Americans need to wake up and smell the coffee…conservatives MUST vote against their cowardly, conservative natures and nominate dynamic, inspiring candidates…

Jan 24, 2013 6:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
truedemocrat wrote:

more like voter fraud

Jan 24, 2013 7:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
pbgd wrote:

Since the GOP benefited from the racist vote against a black President, their chances against a white candidate will be zero.

Jan 24, 2013 8:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
xyz2055 wrote:

Lets see they lost in Massachusetts by 23 PERCENTAGE POINTS (where Romney was Governor), they lost Michigan by 10 percentage points (where Romney was born) and they lost in Wisconsin by 7 percentage points (where Ryan is a sitting U.S. Congressman). They lost in states where people knew them best? bates148 will try and sell that Ryan just represents 1 district in Wisconsin and wasn’t elected to Congress by the whole state. McCain carried Arizona as just a Senator when he ran against Obama. Obama carried Illinois where he came from as just a Senator and Obama carried Hawaii where he was born. When people that know you best vote against you (and in the case of Romney/Ryan they got CREAMED in their home states) I think it makes a MUCH MUCH larger statement. Ever don on Mr. Ryan that America doesn’t believe in trickle down economics? See “Path to Prosperity” more spending on Defense, more tax breaks for the rich and gut Medicare and Medicaid….nice! It was the message BOZO! Duh!

Jan 24, 2013 9:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
xyz2055 wrote:

Or perhaps it was that brilliant move by Romney for chastising 47% of the people that pay no federal income tax. Like they did something wrong or illegal. Show of hands….you complete your tax return this year and it shows you not only owe nothing but you get back every dime in federal income tax you paid last year….you file the tax form and start thinking about what you’ll spend that money on….OR..to make Mr. Romney happy you send a check to the IRS anyway! I paid more in taxes (percent wise) than Mr. Romney did last year and he made several hundred million more dollars than I did. How did Mr. Romney arrive at what he owed in taxes? He filled out the IRS tax forms and took advantage of the deductions allowed. JUST LIKE THOSE 47% DID! You alienate 47% of the population and then you’re surprised when you can’t even carry your own home states? Shocking!

Jan 24, 2013 9:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BuffaloGirl wrote:

For all those crying, “Fraud!”, you’ve failed to provide any evidence.
Once again, Republicans twisting the truth and complaining just like Fox News.

Of course it couldn’t be that R&R lost because no one could trust them.
Nnaaaahhh.

Jan 24, 2013 11:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GLK wrote:

In a choice between agendas circa 1865 vs Orwellian 1984. I prefer nostalgia over having big government’s nose in everything I do.

Jan 25, 2013 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
longtail wrote:

Naaaaaaa………..it was the ideas.

Jan 26, 2013 7:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@pbgd

“Since the GOP benefited from the racist vote against a black President, their chances against a white candidate will be zero.”

If it is Hillary in 2016, you will blame it on sexist males. If it is Biden in 2016, you will be forced to blame it on the real reason, ideological differences.

Jan 26, 2013 8:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
longtail wrote:

This is the stupidest argument yet. The guy’s a maroon.

Jan 26, 2013 8:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Hen3ry wrote:

Poor Mr. Ryan still doesn’t get it. We really don’t like him, or what he stands for. He is a miserly tool of the rich, and has no compassion for every one else. He considers seniors and veterans as “on the take”, not understanding the contributions that we have already provided the country. He is so far into the pockets of the ultra rich, that he can’t see the world from anywhere else.

Jan 27, 2013 7:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

But mostly, it’s because us Patriots – don’t trust you politicians.

It’s clear the MAJORITY are out for themselves; and put the interests of their constituents and country on the back burner.

Jan 28, 2013 11:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
MommaSmiles wrote:

It is a good thing they did not win the election. This guy is SO disconnected from the reality of what is really going on, that I think he REALLY believes it was because they didn’t do enough foot work, instead of turn the general population off with their archaic, backwards policies. He is a sad, sad man.

Jan 29, 2013 7:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
SeniorMoment wrote:

If my ineffective communication Ryan means pathological lying, then yes that played a big role in why Republicans lost the 2012 election. It also didn’t help their dreams would to others have seemed like nightmares.

Jan 29, 2013 7:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
Speaker2 wrote:

Ryan, keep on believing and you will keep on losing elections which is fine by me.

Jan 29, 2013 5:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

Representative Ryan can do his best to better explain his ideas, and the Republican / Tea Party message, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a pig. It’s not the delivery of the message, Mr. Ryan. It’s the message.

Jan 29, 2013 6:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Seeme wrote:

The majority of American voters are uniformed and vote on emotion. The President knows this and always plays this card. Until Republicans can figure this out, they will lose again. There are more poor than wealthy in this country and taxing the rich was an easy emotional statement to run on.

Jan 29, 2013 11:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.