Microsoft launches new Office for consumers

heterodox1 wrote:

Eventually (10-15 years) the majority of the world will migrate to LibreOffice and Microsoft will have lost this income stream with its crazy licensing fees.

Jan 29, 2013 11:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
wthcares wrote:

The business version has been out for several months and it’s crap, with Outlook emails taking longer than snail mail and/or meeting notices popping up hours late.

Jan 29, 2013 11:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
WallaBingBang wrote:

OpenOffice is pretty good, and free, as well. It and LibreOffice are both compatible with Microsoft Office files, so I am not sure why anyone would pay so much for Microsoft’s software.

Jan 29, 2013 12:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mb56 wrote:

It still completely befuddles me as to why anyone would load all their personal data to “the cloud” where any lawyer with a subpoena or Law Enforcement Agency can crawl through it on any whim they might have. And what *real* assurances to you have that others aren’t poking around in it as well? I don’t get it.

Jan 29, 2013 2:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jmfree wrote:

Agree with heterodox1 and WallaBingBang.

Microsoft / Ballmer apparently wants to believe that mobile pixie dust is all their 20-year old software model needs.

Jan 29, 2013 3:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jmfree wrote:

Agree with heterodox1 and WallaBingBang.

Jan 29, 2013 3:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
markrm wrote:

Constant updates is a double-edged sword. For the limited features of Office I use at home I don’t want to bring it up one day and find that bored programmers decided to rearrange the interface under the guise of making it “better”. Within limits, an older clunkier interface is better because I’ve long ago internalized the workarounds. In the work world where time is money I get it but at home where time is precious I don’t.

Jan 29, 2013 3:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse