After 500 years, Richard III's bones yield their secret

americanguy wrote:

Buried under a parking lot?
So much for “may he rest in peace”.
Now his majesty will get stolen and end up on Ebay, or in some rich guy’s den.

Feb 04, 2013 7:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
KerBearRN wrote:

Awesome! Goosebumps!! Can’t wait to see more pics and analysis. Kudos to the U of L!!

Feb 04, 2013 7:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
crittertron wrote:

The king is dead, long live the king.

Feb 04, 2013 8:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

Kings and Queens; bah, I spit on them.

Feb 04, 2013 9:49am EST  --  Report as abuse

While it’s exciting to have found Richard III’s body after 500 years, he was still a murderer.

Feb 04, 2013 12:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
melodysparks wrote:

Guess who has the last laugh now?

I still believe that the Princes in the Tower were murdered on instruction of Henry VII or his mother Lady Margaret Beaufort.

Feb 04, 2013 2:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I invite everyone interested in this story and in English history in general to read all 930 pages of “The Sunne in Splendour,” by Sharon Kay Penman, which is a beautifully written and compelling novel about Richard and his brother, Edward. This was the first 930-page novel I’ve ever read and I want to read it again, it was that enjoyable, into which I was totally immersed. I didn’t want it to end. Penman’s account rings true, and I, too, believe that Shakespeare unfairly and probably misguidedly maligned Richard of York, who was, according to Penman, kind and well loved. But history, as they say, is rewritten by the victors. I finished the book late last year and this is nice closure to that wonderful experience. And I will read it again, and if you know me, you’ll know that’s high praise.

Feb 04, 2013 2:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
xyz2055 wrote:

Unlike the leaders of today..Richard led the charge in battle. There would be a lot less wars today if the leaders of the countries involved had to be on the front lines.

Feb 04, 2013 4:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse

xyz2055, you are so right.

Feb 04, 2013 4:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
nodullus wrote:

There were a king who lost his force.
He cried: “My kingdom for a horse!”.
Then he lost his face,
indeed, on a parking place,
because they thought, he cried for a pause.

Feb 04, 2013 5:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Joey_Average wrote:

I hear they found Prince Albert in a can.

Feb 04, 2013 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
yurakm wrote:

There were much more wars when kings and leaders of countries lead troops in battles.

Feb 04, 2013 7:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MichaelEdits wrote:

How did they know to look there? It was just a hunch.

Feb 05, 2013 5:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
Rich139 wrote:

Somebody said Richard III was a murderer? Wasn’t all Kings and royalty murderers?
That’s how they got to be royalty. By killing the most people and taking over land etc.

And today some people look up to these people?

Feb 05, 2013 11:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
hmalsman wrote:

The thought that the remains of a guy this huge in history, winds up buried below Saabs’; bmws’ and, jags’…got me to thinking how sometimes…the most powerful of people “check-out” in the most “just-like-us” ways. The great-and-powerful ‘Oz/aka/FDRs’ final words were…”I have a terrific headache,” then fell out of his chair…while, the “King” of Memphis, died on his throne. Now, that’s ‘Big – Time!’

Feb 05, 2013 11:17am EST  --  Report as abuse