New Jersey's Christie fires back at doctor over weight comments

Flayer wrote:

And Christie goes to war with yet another Republican (even if he’s absolutely correct). How does he plan on winning the Republican primary with the record he’s racking up? We already have a president who hates the USA, vows to undermine the Constitution even after swearing (on multiple Bibles) to support it. Do we need a Republican candidate who hates Republicans now? A more gracious answer would have been thanks for your concern. Period. Don’t forget with Obamacare the government WILL be in our most private business and health…from 2500 miles or more!

Feb 07, 2013 12:52am EST  --  Report as abuse
bates148 wrote:

Folks should be more worried about our current president. The man was a chain smoker for decades.

Feb 07, 2013 1:04am EST  --  Report as abuse
DaddyBruce wrote:

Well, I think it’s a bit early for the DNC and their accomplices in the media to think about undermining a Republican candidate’s run for president in 2016, but then again….

Feb 07, 2013 1:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
Parker1227 wrote:

It really looks like Gov. Chris Christie deliberately sabotaged Romney.

Christie did not have to lick Obama’s feet like a three-week-old puppy right at the peak of the election.

He could have had some dignity as a governor and a republican – and still received government assistance for the hurricane emergency.

It really looks like Christie deliberately sabotaged Romney.

Feb 07, 2013 1:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
WOZERD wrote:

WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT a MINUTE!!!
I have been informed– in no unequivical terms, that the word “FAT” is absolutely, positively on the PC list of verboten words. I found this out a while back while discussing two co-workers in a different department whose names I did not know at the time. Needing a document, I entered their office to find it was about the same temp as a meat locker. One person, that weighed about 450 lbs was wearing a sleeveless blouse. The other, who weighed less than 100LBS was wearing a wool business jacket, wool slacks, a scarf and fingerless gloves. Finding it somewhat humourous, I mentioned it to a couple of (apparently quite liberal) people in my office and immediately was verbally ripped to shreds because I described one as “fat” and one as “skinny”. I spent my remaining time at that job (you remember them?) as an outcast.
My question: Is there a list of words you cannot say? Is there a PC dictionary I can buy so I’ll know what words to use in lieu of the traditional words that mean the same thing ( A rose by any other name)? Or, do Liberals just make up the rules as they go along?And, is this something Liberals are exempt from?I know David Letterman often uses the “fat” word when ridiculing Christie! Just asking.

Feb 07, 2013 7:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
WOZERD wrote:

WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT a MINUTE!!!

Feb 07, 2013 7:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
jabusse wrote:

First, it is none of the doctor’s business. second it is not very professional to give a diagnosis nationally about anyone. third, to say this is not political is not giving the reader enough credit. The entire thing was political. I wonder if the doc voted for Romney or Obama? I give you one guess.

Feb 07, 2013 7:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
fel121 wrote:

I wonder what the governor thought about Bill Frist’s TV diagnosis of Terry Schiavo from the floor of the US senate?

Feb 07, 2013 7:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
fel121 wrote:

Feb 07, 2013 7:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
rickdc wrote:

He should go low carb Monday to Saturday and eat whatever he wants on Sunday, I bet he cold lose 100 LBS in a couple of years.,

Feb 07, 2013 7:53am EST  --  Report as abuse
ounceoflogic wrote:

Christie’s only shot at president now is as a Democrat. Even Republicans aren’t stupid enough to vote for a 1600 pound guy who basically gave the election to o’bama. (They’ll probably run John McCain again.)

Feb 07, 2013 8:02am EST  --  Report as abuse
dencal26 wrote:

Christie hates science

Feb 07, 2013 8:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
ShiroiKarasu wrote:

I like Christie because he doesn’t take s*&^ from anybody.

Feb 07, 2013 9:07am EST  --  Report as abuse
LarryCroft wrote:

The doctor is probably right.

Feb 07, 2013 9:39am EST  --  Report as abuse
ali3n wrote:

In my opinion, Gov. Christie has two major problems, medically speaking. He suffers from morbid obesity, which CAN be diagnosed from 2400 miles away, and diarrhea of the mouth, also diagnosable from quite a distance and a common problem among politicians of every ilk. Governor, I challenge you to refute these words.

Feb 07, 2013 9:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
FarmerBrown wrote:

He should pursue ethics violations charges against her. As a physician, she has a professional responsibility she clearly has not met.

Feb 07, 2013 10:03am EST  --  Report as abuse
BlueOkie wrote:

Michelle Obama needs to get in on this! No more Big Mac’s for Christie. OFcourse, no more big gulps from NYC.

Feb 07, 2013 10:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
GIVESADAMN wrote:

Who cares if he’s overweight. He’s a great politician and I can’t believe that
we still put so much emphasis on physical appearance. What a frikin shame because he’ll make a great president.

Feb 07, 2013 10:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
MTterb wrote:

OK, this will be a flip-flop comment/answer. One one hand, Christie is right. Doctors should examine patients before making observations however, and this is the other side, a good doctor can tell certain things just by looking at someone. Those doctors can proably get a 5-10 pound radious on someone just by looking at them and this doctor was probably comparing the typical person with that weight that he has examined. His specialty may even be weight catagorized. Nevertheless, New Jersey residents better prepare to be Governorless but… I don’t live in New Jersey so who am I to say what they do. It’s not like I fled an equally liberal state to get away from stupidity. (the joke is I did, I fled California to Virginia)

Feb 07, 2013 10:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
dragonass wrote:

@farmerbrown. You cannot get an ethics violation over the use of first amendment free speech or for generic medical comments. Also the doc does not have a professional responsibility because there was not doc-patient relationship. Forget your ideas of censorship.

@jabusse. It was professional of the doctor to point out the obvious – a morbidly obese man does have a huge risk of premature death from heart attack or stroke, along with risks of hypertension and diabetes which contribute to the first two. Sadly Christie has the same delusion that many morbidly obese people have — they are a healthy fat person, they are “big boned”, its all genetic. The govenor should take seriously the doctors points and get realistic and serious about his health. The other alternative would be a couple of good doses of botox to his biceps, then he can not shovel the food in so easily (a joke for all of you overly serious liberals, in case you did not get it).

Feb 07, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Christie may well have genetics to overcome but and he likely does have to work twice as hard as others to maintain and more to lose weight. What doesn’t work though is taking a limo (after using a helicopter to get there) when his son’s baseball game is only a couple of blocks away.

Feb 07, 2013 2:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tiderhawk wrote:

My evaluation of this Dr (having never met her) is that she is a meddling no-it-all who it fond of hearing her voice and believes in her own self importance. Unless CC asked for her medical advise, she should keep her opinions to herself.

Feb 07, 2013 2:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
EmergencyDoc wrote:

It is perfectly within everyone’s right to be concerned about his weight. He is governor and serving the people. His morbid obesity certainly will increase his risk of stroke, coronary artery disease and diabetes. Our solider’s are expected to stay in shape to serve our nation (and most are not in combat),. Why should we not expect the same of our elected officials. If he is that sensitive about it he should diet.

Feb 07, 2013 2:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Timbuk3 wrote:

@Teder et al.

How’s this for irony, a load of anonymous hacks posting anonymous criticisms about how wrong it is for someone to offer an unsolicited opinion in a public forum.

See what happened here?

Feb 07, 2013 3:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kiwibird wrote:

How big he is doesn’t exactly set a good example for Republicans! It is possible to be overweight and fit although it does sound like an oxymoron. He is a candidate for type 2 diabetes and other ailments. But hey the U.S. is a democracy he has the right to eat what he wants,lol.

Feb 07, 2013 4:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kiwibird wrote:

Feb 07, 2013 4:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Margincall wrote:

Obesity is America’s number one health problem. Obesity of others will cost each of us dearly in the years ahead, through higher insurance premiums and health care costs. Obesity is morally and ethically wrong. I would never vote for a national leader who has made such an irresponsible personal decision.

Feb 08, 2013 5:55am EST  --  Report as abuse