Russian alcohol crackdown topples monument to vodka

kestrel27 wrote:

The Russian people will just figure a way around the law and the Russian version of “Liberalism” in action and keep drinking vodka. What I find amazing, is how people worldwide, set themselves up as arbiters of what people can and cannot do and try and control everyone else’s behavior. They’re called Progressives, yet they are always pointing the finger at everyone else and accusing them of doing what it is they’ve done.

Feb 07, 2013 10:38am EST  --  Report as abuse
GMMiller wrote:

“11pm at night” is redundant.

Feb 07, 2013 1:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@kestrel27…I couldn’t agree more.

There’s nothing wrong with holding progressive ideals and living by them.

What is wrong is imposing your own beliefs upon the free will and rights of others; something which is, ironically, REgressive…

Feb 07, 2013 2:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loothor wrote:

kestrel27 -

President Putin is a member of the CONSERVATIVE “United Russia” party. Look it up, ignoramus.

Good job blaming “Liberals” for all the attempts to over-regulate society, though. “Conservatives” never do that, right? Just like they aren’t doing right now in Russia or just like they’ve never done in the US with Prohibition or other “morality”-based laws like the illegality of marijuana in the US, attempts to create laws outlawing gay marriage, etc.

As long as you’re ignorant enough to blindly assume one ideology is behind everything you perceive to be “wrong” and another is a flawless representative of righteousness, you are a sheep. Baaaaaahhhhh, sheep. Get educated or shut up.

Feb 07, 2013 2:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MickeyM wrote:

“progressive ideals,” “liberalism?” I think you guys have been liberally smoking on a pipe or two. You may want to go back and see who it was that was behind the Prohibition movement.

Feb 07, 2013 3:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loothor wrote:

@ kestrel27 & jaham

Vladimir Putin is a member of the CONSERVATIVE “United Russia” party.

It was also conservatives who brought you Prohibition in the U.S.

Perhaps you should actually study some politics and history before you go around making completely ludicrous claims about what is or is not “progressive” or “liberal” politics.

Feb 07, 2013 3:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

Loothor…I don’t care two squats about Russian party politics.

What I know, and all I need to know, is that imposing an alcohol ban for the betterment of society is a progressive, fascist initiative and exemplifies the “I am better than thou” attitude of many progressives who want to impose their ideals upon the free rights of others.

Feb 07, 2013 3:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loothor wrote:

@ jaham -

When you have to discount FACTS in favor of “what you know” you are living in an ignorant fantasy world.

Feb 07, 2013 5:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JeromeBarry wrote:

Try anything and everything to improve the life expectancy for Russian men. Starting out with a suppression of alcohol … won’t succeed.

Feb 07, 2013 6:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jameson4Lunch wrote:

Actually, European Conservatism is far closer to American Liberalism. European Liberalism is much closer to American Libertarianism. Except in the UK, where their affiliations pretty much mirror the US.

Feb 08, 2013 1:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@loothor said: “A) Progressive politics and fascism have nothing to do with each other. Many fascist governments have been conservative in their ideals. Do you just lump them together because your pool of “good” political words is conservative, democracy, freedom and your pool of “bad” political words is liberal, progressive, communist, fascist?”
Conservatism is based largely on the belief in individual rights.
While I agree that many fascist governments of the past have been conservative, they have been progressive in imposing their beliefs on others; in believing that they know what is better for the individual than does the individual. I would lump the banning of soda into a similar category; is Bloomberg a conservative?

@loothor said: “B) Putin is a conservative and (unsurprisingly) his alcohol policy is far more typical of conservative policy than progressive. That’s not just about Russian party politics, that’s about the larger political spectrum. Conservatives created Prohibition policy in the US, was that Russian party politics? The Republican party in the US says they are against decriminalizing marijuana in any form, is that Russian party politics?”
Again, I don’t care about Russian party politics, rather I am making a reference to the ideals one holds; fascist ideals like we will ban alcohol because the individual doesn’t know any better.
If you want to go back far enough in history, it stands that the left was against the abolition of slavery – was that Russian party politics? No, and I don’t care.
Republicans may be against legalizing marijuana, but true conservatives and libertarians such as myself believe in the right of personal choice and responsibility.
That’s why I do not care to play semantics any further than stating that I view such initiatives such as banning alcohol as progressive and fascist-like.

@loothor said: “C) What you are really saying is “I’m too obstinate to admit when I’m wrong, so I’ll continue to claim conservative policy is progressive no matter what.”
What am I wrong about – which party Putin claims to be in? No, I don’t care what party he claims, but I believe this particular initiative to be progressive and fascist-like.

@loothor said: “Regardless of how stupid and obstinate you are, the FACT is that this is conservative policy being enacted by a conservative government… which is unsurprising, because “morality-based” policy, particularly that relating to regulation of controlled substances is usually conservative policy… look at current marijuana policy debate in the U.S. or prohibition.”

I can agree with your morality based point to a degree, as I think many so-called conservatives often get caught up in such dogma. But I believe that true conservatism believes not in imposing personal moral ideals onto others, that, in my mind, is modern progressive and fascist.

Perhaps the issue here is that many of these words now have muddled meaning; the word fascist, in particular, as each party tries to tie the other to it historically while history reveals instances of both.

In short, for reasons akin to what James4lunch has cited, I do not care for futile attempts to align and draw parallels of party politics between the US and Russia. My point was that such policies of central control and an abandonment of personal choice and responsibility is certainly progressive and fascist IMO.

BTW, if an abating sugar buzz has caused you to strike such a vile tone, I suggest you cross the bridge into New Jersey for a Big Gulp….

Feb 08, 2013 4:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bobo_9 wrote:

Russia, Obama, Bloomberg are all alike in wanting to dictate what we must do day by day.
No drinking … no Big Gulps of soft drink products … no getting away from the penalties of Obamacare.
Yep, Commies are all pretty much alike (sorry, maybe Obama’s not a Commie, maybe he’s a Socialist or a Facist, I always get them mixed up as they all say pretty much the same thing — big government control is good, but personal freedom of choice is bad).

Feb 11, 2013 10:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

Volstead Act Version 2

Good luck with that Putin!

Feb 11, 2013 4:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse