Over 90 percent of Americans support gun background checks: poll

Dragos111 wrote:

Senator Mark Kirk is sponsoring a bill that will define and penalize gun trafficking. That is moving in the right direction. It works to get illegal guns off the streets and hits right at the bad guys.

Whatever is done in the future it should be something that actually accomplishes the goal of stopping gun crime. It should also hit at the bad guys, not the good guys.

So many people are asking, “Why do you need a 20 round magazine?” There is a very good reason for that. If you have multiple home invaders you do not want to run out of ammunition in the middle of defending yourself. Banning larger magazines will put more people at risk.

Again, go after the bad guys, not the good guys.

Feb 07, 2013 9:28am EST  --  Report as abuse
BlueOkie wrote:

Most Americans don’t know what a Assault rifle is and think it was used in Newtown and all other mass murders. There are 60 million gun owners and 300 million guns that didn’t kill anyone today! Background checks are a good safeguard. Too bad the media wants to distort the truth rather than inform the public.

Feb 07, 2013 10:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
freddyshaw wrote:

Big brother intrusion, more bureaucracy, about as naive as “gun free zone”. Not going to make a difference.

Feb 07, 2013 10:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
cbj wrote:

I’d like to see the poll itself, as well as the pool from which the responders were drawn from.
I find it hard to believe that 90% of anyone can agree on anything. To me this indicates a bias or error in the poll and its methodology.

As to how criminals get guns?
The same way they get drugs . . . from the back of a truck or the trunk of a car. The idea that they would even pay the admission fee for a gun show is absurd. Who comes up with this silly logic has never had to deal with a criminal. They don’t even buy their cigarettes . . . they ‘fall off of trucks’.
Stupid, stupid, stupid comments.

Feb 07, 2013 11:39am EST  --  Report as abuse
Jenjen wrote:

To get to 90%, you really do have to load the question.

And say, more Americans think that third-trimester abortions should be illegal than think more gun control is a good idea. So can we ‘move in the right direction’ on that issue while we’re at it?

Feb 07, 2013 7:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mbgodofwar wrote:

The leadership of our country has no direction and is exploiting the mass shootings as an “answer.” This diversion tactic harms law-abiding citizens (at least until everyone other than politicians and their lapdogs in doj make gun-possession a crime) and does nothing to alleviate the economy, employment, the national debt, healthcare, energy, or foreign policy.

Feb 08, 2013 10:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
Oldfinanceguy wrote:

I thought we already have background checks. I thought we already have laws that make it illegal for known fellons to have firearms. I thought it was illegal to assualt someone with a firearm. Why in heck don’t we enforce these laws? There were 11,000 firearm murders in America in 2011. How many were committed by previously convicted felons? How many were committed by firearms that were acquired illegally? How many of these murders were committed in connection with drug dealing? Good grief people we have the laws to drasticly shrink gun crime but lack the guts to do so. I own animals and if one proves to be antisocial and dangerous I dispose of it before someone gets hurt or killed. Its not fun, its not pleasant but I’ll be damned if I am going to permit some screwed up animal hurt someone. People are no different!

Feb 08, 2013 12:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse