Insight: Apple and Samsung, frenemies for life

Comments (14)
cyke1 wrote:

“Samsung, meanwhile, came under pressure from antitrust regulators and pulled back on its effort to shut down Apple sales in Europe over a related patent dispute.”

Is it me or there some double standard in the world? Apple is allowed to go for a sales ban against anyone but second someone goes for a Sales ban against apple for same things its an antitrust investigation?

Apple needs Samsung a lot more then Samsung needs Apple. Samsung makes everything short of kitchen sink, yea apple has more money cause they only employe 1/6th the workforce.

Feb 10, 2013 2:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
Nomad-CA wrote:

Looks like the authors never used anything except apple…
You lost me right there: “…that closely resemble the iPhone and the iPad.” It’s not 2010 anymore, it’s 2013…

Feb 10, 2013 5:07am EST  --  Report as abuse
Ireadtoomuch wrote:

hmm, the samsung may have resembled the iPhone back in 2010 but asoflate it’s the other way around. The galaxy s series of phones have been coming out with new features first and iPhone has been following suit. and it will continue to do so. the galaxy s4 will be so far ahead of the iPhone ppl will have to admit that the apple is playing catchup to the samsung.samsung.

Feb 10, 2013 6:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
moneywon wrote:

I’m sure Apple’s not exactly thrilled about the fanboys finding out that their iDevices are made with Samsung parts.

Feb 10, 2013 8:09am EST  --  Report as abuse
KPOM wrote:

@cyke1, the reason anti-trust regulators went after Samsung is that they were using standards-essential patents that they agreed to license to anyone on fair and reasonable terms. Apple was suing based on patents that aren’t essential to the functioning of a product. You can’t make a 4G phone without using Samsung’s patents (and Qualcomm’s, Nokia’s, Apple’s and countless others) because the standards setters require them. In exchange, those companies agree to make them available to anyone on fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms. You can make a phone that doesn’t use slide-to-unlock (one of the Apple patents in question).

Feb 10, 2013 11:01am EST  --  Report as abuse
timebandit wrote:

money, most consumers of Apple – and other brand – devices could not care less which other tech companies sell the components of those devices, be it glass from Corning or chips from Intel or Samsung, or even software from Microsoft (which was the case in the early 1980s). Really, unless one is in high school and has no comprehension of global tech, who wouldn’t know that all the major tech manufacturers forge mutually beneficial partnerships.

Feb 10, 2013 3:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jake_in_Seoul wrote:

What about the offer by Steve Jobs in 2010, reportedly for $250 million, to license iOS features to Samsung, which was refused? And what about the fact that the iPhone was kept off the South Korean market for over 2 years due the government demand that all phones contain a proprietary chip (the WIPI chip), effectively a non-tariff barrier favoring Samsun? And what about the fact that over time South Korea has, in effect, become the most closed phone market on earth, with only one foreign phone (the iPhone) currently being sold. Surely such facts are important in helping understand Apple’s reasons for mistrusting Samsung?

Feb 10, 2013 7:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
systemBuilder wrote:

It sounds so stupid, it’s comical!

Here @ Apple in 2006 : “Hey, let’s enter the market for smart phones, and buy all our components from the #2 worldwide supplier of mobile phones!”

“No, they won’t go after us!! They wouldn’t dare!”

“Let’s buy half our components from the guys who pay their engineers $12,000 a year. Don’t worry a patent or two will stop those Asians from copying our products!”

- Steve Jobs.

Feb 10, 2013 11:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
systemBuilder wrote:

It sounds so stupid, it’s comical!

Here @ Apple in 2006 : “Hey, let’s enter the market for smart phones, and buy all our components from the #2 worldwide supplier of mobile phones!”

“No, they won’t go after us!! They wouldn’t dare!”

“Let’s buy half our components from the guys who pay their engineers $12,000 a year. Don’t worry a patent or two will stop those Asians from copying our products!”

- Steve Jobs.

Feb 10, 2013 11:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
cyke1 wrote:

@KPOM Apple even in the US those standards essential patents have refused to license them cept under their terms so wouldn’t shock me if apple did same thing in EU.

Feb 11, 2013 2:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
latrell33 wrote:

Behind, Samsung G3 doesn’t have it’s own OS, iPhone does!

Feb 11, 2013 2:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
macduggles wrote:

Apple got stabbed in the back by Samsung and Google! Just as Microsoft had done before. How come Korea and the other Asian countries won’t open their markets as freely as the Americans do?

Feb 11, 2013 7:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
wthcares wrote:

Ireadtoomuch, maybe you do but you certainly don’t comprehend too much.

“the galaxy s4 will be so far ahead of the iPhone ppl will have to admit that the apple is playing catchup to the samsung.samsung.”

What you obviously don’t comprehend is it’s not just about hardware, or do you claim that Samsung writes Android?! Where Samsung will always fail is that copying hardware and looks can only take you so far. Where Samsung/Android does a header is backup and sync incompatibility between the numerous flavors of Android and Samsung phones. lmao on that little oversight.

Feb 11, 2013 10:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
zochi wrote:

Will Apple’s iPhone now go the way of Sony’s Walk Man? Or will Apple finally get off of its laurels and do what it does best “innovate”. Competition will be good for the iPhone,it took long enough. Now maybe we will see something really cool and not just updates and upgrades. One can hope!

Feb 12, 2013 4:38am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.