In U.S., flu vaccine worked in just over half of those who got it

ChicagoMike wrote:

I Got it alhough I had a shot, but I got Tamiflu within the first 48 hours of symptoms an it was very mild.

Feb 21, 2013 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
cwi wrote:

Because 56% didn’t get the flu, that does not mean that the flu vacine worked for them all as many would not have gotten it in the first place. I am 65 and have never gotten a flu shot and never gotten the flu. If I had gotten it they would have counted me even though I might not have needed the shot. Another case of misinterpreted results!

Feb 21, 2013 6:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

No one I know who got the flu shot, got the flu.
I got the flu 6 years ago because I was against the flu shot.
After being sick as a dog for a week, I have gotten the flu shot since and I have never caught the flu again.
Anyone who would rather risk getting the flu than getting a shot is an idiot and that included me.
They tell you up front that the flu shot only prevents the flu in 60% of the people who get it.
Next bogus fear mongering story please.

Feb 21, 2013 9:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
eyeoftaurus wrote:

Please, tell me something about vaccines I didn’t already. Just one big cash cow for pharma and a big zero for the public.

Feb 21, 2013 11:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sunnytop wrote:

Flu shots are mandatory at our hospital for employees. A group of us don’t get them and we are required to wear masks. We find it really interesting that everyone of our co workers who got the shot have been sick with a myriad of bugs, flu, colds, sore throats, coughs, sinus infections, every bug that has circulated the area. Not one of us who declined the shot has had any sort of bug at all. Not even a sniffle. Our conclusion is the mask and good handwashing is the best and only solution to prevention of the flu. It’s a whole lot cheaper too. The flu shot did nothing to improve immunity. I suspect the mandatory for health care workers idea came from someone who sits behind a desk for a living shuffling papers who wanted to come up with an idea to make themselves look like they are doing something good or the drug companies pushing their agenda to make money.

Feb 22, 2013 1:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
Fantom65 wrote:

The last time I got a flu shot I was still in school, and I got the flu. I have never got one since. I had a mild cold once but I can’t remember when that was 20 or 30 years ago. I’m 63 now. How many people die from those shots each year? I worked in a prison for 22 years and never got the flu. So what is the answer? If the government comes up with it……run like hell!!!

Feb 22, 2013 2:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
1957johngalt wrote:

So does that mean 50% of us get our flu vaccine payment back? Where else can you charge for something that doesn’t work other than taxation?

Feb 22, 2013 11:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse