Venezuela's Hugo Chavez dies from cancer

Comments (81)
snewsom2997 wrote:

Third world crapholes are known to be disease hotspots.

Mar 04, 2013 10:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gripp13ndk wrote:

Would this crazy man die already !

Mar 04, 2013 10:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Chauffeur wrote:

Transport him to the USA… we’ll take care of him….

Mar 04, 2013 10:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Only Joe Kennedy will miss him.

Mar 04, 2013 11:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AZWarrior wrote:

I am surprised that Obama hasn’t had his dog Kerry give him a few billion in aid. Hope the socialist you-know-what suffers.

Mar 05, 2013 12:09am EST  --  Report as abuse
hkrieger wrote:

Chavez’s breathing problems will leave many others to breath easier.

Mar 05, 2013 12:33am EST  --  Report as abuse

What are the chances that CIA caused Chavez to get sick? Definitely much greater than 0%.

Mar 05, 2013 12:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
BioStudies wrote:

This whole fiasco proves, if there was any doubt, what kind of man Chavez is.

He put his personal ambition before the health of the nation and his own health! He claimed during his campaign that the cancer was COMPLETELY cured and that he would be 100% for his term. Now not even 6 months into his win he’s about to die.

This man is one big dis-service to Venezuela and to the people he claims to care so much about.

A sick ruler always brings catastrophe to a nation.

Now that my rants over I wish to state that I hold no ill-will to Stalin reborn even though I disagree with pretty much everything he has ever done in the public arena.

Mar 05, 2013 12:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
randburg100 wrote:

Couldn’t happen to nicer dictator…

Mar 05, 2013 2:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
Globalman wrote:

Time to meet your Maker.

Mar 05, 2013 6:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

Yawn.

Mar 05, 2013 7:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
pbgd wrote:

It looks like they are trying to prepare the people for the inevitable by a realistic assessment of Chavez’ condition rather
than the usual “improvement” stories.

Mar 05, 2013 7:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
maya0 wrote:

Chavez gave his life to his country. What politician does that now adays? No wonder the poor and down trodden in his country voted for him again and again. But like the pope who goes, another one is waiting in the wings. Maduro is Chavez part 2. So viva Chavez and Viva Maduro and Viva the poor of Venezuela who help create Chavez. Once dead, Chavez will be a symbol of hope. Much greater than some Che Guevara t shirt.

Mar 05, 2013 8:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
BuckWheat2 wrote:

Die Mother F er, DIE !

Mar 05, 2013 8:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
jkjacksonhole wrote:

Lets hope he is in severe pain.

Mar 05, 2013 8:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
RightStuff44 wrote:

I’m beginning to smell sulphur.

Mar 05, 2013 9:02am EST  --  Report as abuse
SVanNeuter wrote:

Oh, that’s too bad.
Get dead soon, comrade :)

Mar 05, 2013 10:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
bammbamm2008 wrote:

Chavez is dying (2011). Not expected to live long. We think he’s dead.
Now he’s really dying. Two weeks max. (2012) Now he’s really dying.
Now he’s getting worse. Now he’s getting much much worse. I’ll bet
that eventually he dies.

Mar 05, 2013 10:16am EST  --  Report as abuse
dkn111 wrote:

Finally some good news….

Mar 05, 2013 10:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
Huge_Heffner wrote:

“earthy rhetoric”? now that’s a nice one.

Mar 05, 2013 10:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
josetoyou wrote:

Bye bye…

Mar 05, 2013 10:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
DeanMJackson wrote:

Chavez never left Venezuela, and his “illness” is a feign!

Since Venezuela has 15,000 of Cuba’s best doctors in-country there never was a need for Hugo to travel to Cuba for treatment, which tells us he’s been incognito for another reason. What reason? Assassination. Better for Hugo to feign illness than constantly pointing fingers at the United States over assassination attempts, not to mention being assassinated.

Conclusion: Hugo will be up and about after Washington, DC stops this nonsense.

Mar 05, 2013 10:56am EST  --  Report as abuse
jkingo wrote:

It would appear that Cuban health care isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Perhaps this case will be featured in Michael Moore’s “Sicko 2″.

Mar 05, 2013 11:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

I wonder if in all his worldly arrogance Mr. Chavez has considered his imminent face-to-face meeting with God? I wonder if he’s thought about how he’ll answer God’s question to account all the wonderful things he’s done for the people of Venezuela as well as others?

There’s no amount of money or political power that will help him during that conversation….the childish excuses that people use every day to excuse the bad things they do will no longer hold water.

I wonder if our great and powerful political “leaders” ever wonder what they’ll say to God? I read the stilted and often vile commentary on these boards and wonder if any of us do….

Good luck Hugo. I hope God is merciful but I just don’t see how that can happen for what you’ve done.

Mar 05, 2013 11:43am EST  --  Report as abuse

Y’all have your own political views and I certainly have mine, but let me instead speak from the point of view of a cancer survivor…

If any of you posting this bile have faced cancer yourselves or attended to someone you love who did, and are able to wish the worst upon someone else experiencing the same thing, shame on you. For the rest of you, I pray you never have to.

As to Mr. Chavez, how he’s dealing with this himself is a matter between him and his God…and believe it or not, he’s given evidence that although a socialist he’s also a person of faith.

Mar 05, 2013 1:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
pbgd wrote:

Chavez? Who was he?

Mar 05, 2013 1:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DeanMJackson wrote:

Art_In_Seattle, well said!

Mar 05, 2013 2:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LoudLiberal wrote:

I don’t know enough about Chavez or Venezualan politics to have strong opinions about him. But, I was pleased with his candor in calling G.W. Bush the devil at the U.N., and with his restraint in stating that Bush left behind the smell of sulfur. I would have been more blunt.

Mar 05, 2013 2:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JapanViewer wrote:

Hugo is a F#@k and hater of the US. This is a man who embraces Ahmadinejad and Iran, and some wacky form of “communism”. But at the same time, he made a lot of poor and uneducated Venezuelans happy, so I can understand their tears. As far as the rest of us, the best I can wish him is that he die quickly. Amen.

Mar 05, 2013 2:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gltoffic wrote:

Venezuela, Columbia, Panama and Ecuador need to bring back Simon Bolivar’s original country of Gran Columbia. Perhaps call it Gran Tierra or something like that. Sure would make a country with a much more balanced economy and future for all four. And, as with countries even as capitalistic as Germany have local states that own banks and other businesses so a lot of Ecuador and Venezuela socialism could continue or wind down over time with a mix of capitalism and socialism.
The main reason Gran Columbia fell apart in the first place was bad roads. The second of course was that Bolivar died.

Mar 05, 2013 3:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Poor Hugo. His death is going to take some time. Poor guy will be sucking for air for awhile. Really bad when the cancer spreads into your lungs and death comes ever so slowly.

Now will come the begging of “Help me! Help me! Help me! Please help me” followed by his begging “Kill me! Please kill me.”

Mar 05, 2013 3:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

LOL, imperialists in the US (+allies) infected Chavez with cancer…genius!

And I thought the use of drones was clever.

Mar 05, 2013 3:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Dear Lord, please look after the sick and elderly, protect children, puppies, kittens, and the defenseless, and help people choose good over of evil.

…and Lord, one more thing, please let Hugo Chavez suffer as much as possible, Amen

Mar 05, 2013 3:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
grassroot wrote:

And he was a favorite of the left in this country, OB included.The Hollywood types who were ” schooled” in the liberal progressive
halls of learning. In the class of Li’l Kim, Mao, and Castro.
Hooray for marixism/socialism/communisim.

Mar 05, 2013 4:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
haggler wrote:

That’s right, Senor Nicolas, and if you don’t watch yourself we’ll do it to YOU too! Muahahahahahaha!

Mar 05, 2013 4:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
maxnix wrote:

“Our supreme responsibility is to keep telling our people the truth”

Ahh…irony. I get it.

Mar 05, 2013 4:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

What an idiot.

Mar 05, 2013 4:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
txnicole wrote:

Pretty bad when someone like Chavez thinks the US is an overreaching imperial power.

Mar 05, 2013 4:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Missourimule wrote:

I remember his quote from when he spoke at the UN . . . about the ‘smell of sulphur’, as he was at the lectern where George W. Bush had spoken. As B.H. Obama has said many times, ‘it’s Bush’s fault’.

Mar 05, 2013 4:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GracieC wrote:

I am a Venezuelan and this is just plain old embarrassing.

Mar 05, 2013 4:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Onerioi wrote:

“the largest oil reserves in the world.” All the money in all the world can’t make you live forever. May he find peace in the next life, or work out the karma he’s earned in this.

Mar 05, 2013 4:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

That clown must’ve learned from our own president how to point his fingers everywhere else.

Mar 05, 2013 4:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
dtschuck wrote:

Venezuelan vice president says Chavez was infected with cancer by foes
—————————————–
LOL, you knew that one was coming.

Mar 05, 2013 4:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
supershwa wrote:

So, no chance an overweight man got colon cancer from eating unhealthily?

Mar 05, 2013 4:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

Yes, Chavez was a bad guy. We all get that. It is, however, constantly amazing how mean and nasty Americans are as evidenced by so many of the posts in this forum. Why can’t Americans engage in civil discourse without all the crude nastiness?

Mar 05, 2013 4:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse

This guy should go back to driving a bus. Does he having any idea what fool he is making of himself? Obviously not. I realize there are a lot of impoverished people in Venezuela who support Chavez but they can’t be so ignorant and gullible as to believe this fairy tale propaganda. Maduro is rapidly losing any credibility he may have ever had. He might try basing his new found position in life as presidential candidate on facts and truthfulness. It shows his lack of respect for the Venezuelan people when tell such bold faced lies. I can’t believe the military’s leadership will follow this guy.

Mar 05, 2013 4:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TimCast wrote:

Darn them Foes

Mar 05, 2013 4:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
VultureTX wrote:

good story bro’
but no on ever gives credit to Mossad!

Chavez backed Tehran and their terrorist groups and well guess what…

Mar 05, 2013 4:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AnastasiaR wrote:

This article could be improved by noting that, except for Tasmanian Devil facial tumor disease, cancer is not infectious. Therefore, the idea that anyone could have infected Chavez with cancer is unreasonable. Perhaps most readers know this fact, but many may not.

Mar 05, 2013 4:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
NorthStarMan wrote:

Finally the filthy dog is dead, shame it did not happen sooner. Let us hope the Venezuelan people get a decent ruler and not another despot.

Mar 05, 2013 5:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Yashmak wrote:

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Mar 05, 2013 5:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Discovery451 wrote:

He would have been just another comic figure without Venezuela’s vast oil wealth. He managed to ruin the economy of a country with unimaginably vast natural resources. He managed to actually lower oil production. Don’t look for much economic progress from the ignorant bunch that will take over.

Mar 05, 2013 5:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PKFA wrote:

Any comments from Michael Moore or Sean Penn?

Mar 05, 2013 5:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mgunn wrote:

He was evil. He attacked other countries without provocation and killed hundreds of thousands on false pretexts of WMDs.

Mar 05, 2013 5:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MikeyLikesIt wrote:

So do you think Sean Penn will go to the funeral?

Mar 05, 2013 6:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
nolemming wrote:

Mainstream American corporation run media seems to have done a fine job on the majority of the posters. You all think and bleet like the fat sheep that you have been trained to be. To demonise a man who stood up against multinational corporations that were stealing from his country, and return the profits to his countries population and help pull the country out of the squallor. Oh yeah hes a bad man – might even label him a socalist, how dare he be concerned for the welfare of people above corporate profits

Mar 05, 2013 6:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DominicPaz wrote:

And they tried to keep it secret as long as they could just like the Soviets always did. Some things never change with Tyrants.

Mar 05, 2013 6:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LoveJoyOne wrote:

I certainly didn’t agree with his politics.

Still, I can’t bring myself to celebrate the death of another human being… with exceptions for Hitler and Stalin and hope for Mugabe’s demise.

Each passing reminds us of our own mortality and insignificance.

Mar 05, 2013 6:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

And the true colors of the righties are once again shining through in this thread. You all are cheering like it is Hitler or Stalin dying. just because you do not agree with how he chose to run the country he was elected to lead, does not mean he is necessarily an evil guy. Last i seen the are no reports of him having his army turn against its own people or anything like that.

Mar 05, 2013 6:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Butch_from_PA wrote:

Amazing how good the the microwave technology has advanced. Heads of states can be targeted and eliminated with slow seemingly natural causes.

Mar 05, 2013 6:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

Goody! Another excuse to gouge Americans with higher gas prices!
Hooray!
The big oil companies pay no taxes on record profits and yet they still get refunds.
Now tell me who controls the US?
I am honored to be a slave to big oil.
Now let’s have a huge increase in gas prices, OK?
Thank you masters.

Mar 05, 2013 6:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
IrateNate wrote:

Good riddance. What – too soon? Most would say not soon enough.

Mar 05, 2013 6:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bammbamm2008 wrote:

I forget why we’re not supposed to like him. Hmmmm….because
he doesn’t support Israel?

Mar 05, 2013 6:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
roughman wrote:

FLASH!

Chavez’s breathing problem moot!

Mar 05, 2013 7:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
roughman wrote:

FLASH!

Chavez’ breathing problem moot!

Mar 05, 2013 7:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Cyberblunt wrote:

Haha

Mar 05, 2013 7:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

@USAPragmatist

Did I just read your post correctly????? Quote, “just because you do not agree with how he chose to run the country he was elected to lead, does not mean he is necessarily an evil guy.”

Chose to “run the country?”…”not necessarily and evil guy?” Un-frickin’-believable!

Well then, to use your most learned insight then, just because the world didn’t agree with the way Hitler or Stalin ran “their” countries – the countries they were “elected to lead” what they did to their people and to others does not make them evil guys either.

In other words…..(trying to get this straight) if the Devil were to run for office and get elected as the country’s leader, all the horrible sh&% he’d do would be all right because he was “fairly elected,” and therefore he’s a non-evil guy too.

Un huh…got it….

Methinks you should take some time and conduct some living research in some of these well run countries and see how awesome they are. Iran or maybe North Korea would be excellent places to start. (Their leaders were also “elected” to lead their countries so despite our abhorrence of their obvious and well documented mistreatment of their citizens, the countries can’t be all that bad because these leaders aren’t evil.)

Mar 05, 2013 9:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jrintala wrote:

Chavez has won a half a dozen elections. The Carter Center says the Venezuelan electoral process is the best in the world and the US system is the worse. Chavez has provided free heating oil to poor people in the US. The Republicans in the Congress have repeatedly tried to cut funding for heating assistance for the poor. Chavez has raised the standard of living for the vast majority, drastically cutting poverty and greatly increasing access to medical care. Chavez has greatly increased educational opportunities for the people. Chavez has greatly improved the lives of workers and strengthened their power.Chavez has created a space for a flourishing grass roots democracy. Lastly, but not least, Chavez was a great leader in the struggle of the people’s of South America for independence and democracy. He was a giant, especially when compared to the corporate bootlickers who run the United States in the interests of the rich, and that includes the Obama, and all the leadership of the Democratic and Republican “Parties”.

Mar 05, 2013 10:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Chavez now joins the teeming ranks of US democrat voters.

Mar 05, 2013 10:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jummocht wrote:

He is a leader. He is a hero. He has died. He is Hugo Chavez.
Age 58. served 14 years for his land and for the whole world.

He was the President of Venezuela, light house of Latin America, Foe of USA.
He is a Socialist.
May he rest in peace with on going struggle for the whole world.

Someone asked, How I would react after hearing accusation from Venezuela Authority that USA planted cancer in Chavez’s body.
I told, “What would it be changed if I believe USA did the Chavez death in a hurry! I could only remember Chavez’s name in the name. I don’t know how a ‘Hero’ should be measured. But his life heard by many, feared by many, cheered by many, remembered by many, smeared by many, famed by many also.
I regret that no one could arrange a life of Messiah in this temporary world and I don’t need to bother about it.”

Salute, Hugo Chavez.

Mar 06, 2013 4:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
HolyRussia wrote:

Hugo Chavez – decent man, an outstanding personality. the world did not forget. My condolences to all the people of Venezuela

Mar 06, 2013 8:56am EST  --  Report as abuse
verocchio wrote:

Misters Cawthorne and Wallis: if you are going to use the term “dictator”, even as, or perhaps, especially in, the form of hearsay, I feel it is incumbent upon you and your company, Reuters, to demonstrate some substantive understanding of the meaning of the term, on the one hand, and some substantive evidence that the presidency of Hugo Chavez matched a suitable and professional definition of the term, on the other, before the term is thrown at Chavez. If you have one issue, one example that is supposed to be illustrative of the point — rather than an analysis which is demonstrative of the matter, your example deserves a sophisticated analysis from both sides of the argument. We never get that. It is usually a shallow, one sided reference whose function is iconic, with a negative political valence. No analysis. The demonstrative analysis of such a thing as a “dictatorship” — the word the press has filled into millions of minds, has never come. This is as true today as when that biased hail of snow began to bury venezuela as corporations foresaw future losses in 1998, and major US media found its comfortable place between US geoplitical interests and the American mind. Good journalism dictates that ferosciously damning and loaded terms as “dictator” (pun) be both defined and linked to verifiable facts. You have your ethical cannons!Otherwise it is just looks libelous, but for public figure excpetions, which allow for irresponsibiity and unfairness. Now, are you getting ready to bury the new Chavistas? Don’t do it. Take out your Journalist’s Ethics!! Put them on every wall! Americans want to think and breath the oxygen of honestly culled information, curiosity and fair evalutation! We do not want to be capitalist totalitarians who are required to rain on every socialist’s parade and call every social democrat a “dictator” because some very, very, vey large corporations might earn a little less than they would had extreme poverty not been reduced by 70%, all poverty by 50%, and college matriculation increased by 200%.

Mar 06, 2013 1:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

Chavez, truly a hero to the poorest, weakest, laziest, and dumbest amongst us. Those who depend on the government for everything.

Mar 09, 2013 8:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.