Exclusive: Wal-Mart may get customers to deliver packages to online buyers

ChicagoFats wrote:

This appears to be symptomatic of Walmart’s overall problem. They’re trying to boost profits by cutting costs – goods and services – and customers are responding by taking their business to Costco, Target, and others. In the short term the suits may be able to juggle the numbers to make it look to the directors like profits are increasing. Another quarter or two out, and this house of cards comes crashing down and Walmart will look much like Kmart, Sears, J.C. Penney, and similar retailers. Customers can’t buy what isn’t on the shelves and even when they get what they want into their carts many of them are giving up faced with unreasonably long lines at the checkout.

Mar 28, 2013 1:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tcidda wrote:

tell me they’re not serious about this.if they aren’t going to deliver it i’m not buying it from them.after all i didn’t buy it from Joe Smith who lives in the next town,i bought it from Wally Mart and at minimum expect,if it has to be delivered,to be delivered by a nationally known company not another customer.

Mar 28, 2013 7:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jason144 wrote:

If anyone who has worked at WallyWorld knows that they try to create an environment of FAMILY, with profit in mind. This push is more of the same…socialism coupled with capitalism. And if the employees have done their jobs right, and WallyWrold incentives are good, it will work…I just fear it only contribute to a new kind of socialism, but not in the classical sense.

Hmm maybe I can have someone deliver me a lawnmower and then they will offer to mow my yard, eh? Dunno but WW will not look like Kmart, Sears or JCP…cause they are too cheap…and there are long lines at WW all the time. Open 24/7…and if you can’t read the back of a package, a multilingual sales associate making min wage will hop to to read it in your preferred language.

WW tried to look like and be like Target back in 2009 to 2010 and they failed big time.

Mar 28, 2013 7:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sprtplt2 wrote:

Cannot work. Zero accountability.

Mar 28, 2013 8:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sugah wrote:

It seems that very often when I shop at my local WalMart, something positively diabolical happens to me…..my car gets rammed while I’m inside shopping and the culprit takes off; my purse is stolen; one afternoon a creepy guy who was behind me in the check out line followed me home….my bad experiences at WalMart have become a family joke although not very funny.
The WalMart “clientele” is too dangerous for me and I wouldn’t want anyone shopping there to be delivering to my house.

Mar 28, 2013 8:16am EDT  --  Report as abuse
blushark6 wrote:

Yes, of course I want a typical Walmart customer showing up at my house with a gold-mine of personal information (my address, what I ordered, is anyone home, etc.). This is brilliant, now how about hiring Riker’s Island inmates to enforce Nanny Bloomberg’s soda ban.

Mar 28, 2013 8:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
neoconned wrote:

America, your indentured servitude is beginning…

Mar 28, 2013 8:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Wayne7 wrote:

I can certainly see why greedy union hacks who work for delivery companies such as UPS or the US Postal Service would object to this VERY creative and innovative new direction that Wal Mart is taking! It threatens their cushy union jobs!

Mar 28, 2013 8:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
unionwv wrote:

Some of WalMart’s online marketing initiatives are wrongheaded.
For example, its new program to “empower” women suppliers, by giving them preferatory treatment. Such divisive practices contribute to the pervasive cynicism which seems to be ever increasing in our “socity”.
“Socity” is in quotes, because there is less and less society and more and more resentful subgroups in the U.S.

Mar 28, 2013 8:54am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Gracie2007 wrote:

This is an April Fool’s joke, right???

Mar 28, 2013 8:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
g-locker62_p wrote:

They used to expect me to park their carrs too. But when I explained to their personnel I owned and operated a shopping cart parking business and the charge would be $100 cash upfront for every cart I parked as they wanted they backed off. WAY off.

Looks like I’ll have to open my own delivery business too and charge $100 per delivery. Payment in advance of course. But then I shop at Wal-Mart maybe three times per year so maybe I’ll just go elsewhere entirely.

Mar 28, 2013 9:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackinFL wrote:

Better send them in a Walmart uniform of they will risk having the dog turned on them or worse.

Mar 28, 2013 9:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
krpkrpkrp wrote:

“.after all i didn’t buy it from Joe Smith who lives in the next town,i bought it from Wally Mart and at minimum expect,if it has to be delivered,to be delivered by a nationally known company not another customer.”

How is that different from Dominos, or any other restaurant that delivers? You think that Dominos owns their deliver fleet? You must be a liberal, so I guess that you would be ignorant enough to think so.
Dominos drivers use THEIR OWN CAR, they just have a sign on the top of their car that says “Dominos” or a magnetic sticker that goes on the door.
Where I come from, the POST OFFICE LETTER CARRIER use their own vehicle to deliver MAIL. In recent years they just put a “U.S. Mail’ sign on the top of their vehicle, but it is their personal vehicle. If the regular mail carrier takes a day off, then there is a different colored vehicle on the route.

You idiots live in such a sheltered cocoon that you are far too ignorant of what goes on in the world.

@ChicagoFats wrote:
” They’re trying to boost profits by cutting costs – goods and services – and customers are responding by taking their business to Costco, Target, and others. In the short term the suits may be able to juggle the numbers to make it look to the directors like profits are increasing. Another quarter or two out, and this house of cards comes crashing down and Walmart will look much like Kmart, Sears, J.C. Penney, and similar retailers. Customers can’t buy what isn’t on the shelves and even when they get what they want into their carts many of them are giving up faced with unreasonably long lines at the checkout.”

Being from Chicago aren’t you just a typical liberal Wal-Mart hater? You comment is self-contradicting. You say that customers are taking their business to Target, Costco etc, and the you complain about the long lines at the checkout.
Typical liberal fail. Which is it? You can’t have it both ways.

Mar 28, 2013 9:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Have you seen the people at Wal-Mart? You want any of them coming to your HOME?

Mar 28, 2013 9:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
oldcountryboy wrote:

This idea reminds me of growing up in the country when people did other people favors and in general were nice to one another. The idea of having someone help out someone else was not a foreign or dangerous idea. I can remember being paid with a soda or a candy bar to take something to someone and it was good for the grocer, the customer and for me. The problem today is two fold: First; people are being conditioned to not trust each other and Second; the government will not allow this to happen until they figure out how they can make money off the deal.

Mar 28, 2013 9:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

Bad, bad idea… lol

Real bad.

First time one of these ‘delivery goons’ – kills someone or something else, it will cost Wal-Mart as much as they might have made.

Mar 28, 2013 9:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Chris0924 wrote:

This would be too creepy for me to do business with. I wouldn’t want just any Joe Blow coming to my door especially when only my wife and/or teenage kids are home alone. Frankly, I don’t shop at Wal-Mart because I don’t want their cheap Chinese made products and what isn’t Chinese made isn’t worth fighting the crowds over as I can get those products at equal or lower prices almost anywhere else.

Mar 28, 2013 9:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jay12 wrote:

Oh, here we go again with the Wal-Mart-bashing cockroaches creeping out of their sewers, also known as Labor Union Thug Headquarters. Wal-Mart is the only place you can go to be free of these leeches, and an added benefit is that you save over $4,000 a year. Without Wal-Mart, the Food Stamp program would have to double the benefits just to get poor people fed because most of the money would go straight into the already-bulging pockets of Democrat operatives and Union fat cats, which are really one and the same.

Mar 28, 2013 10:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
LizR wrote:

There’s a scammer born every minute and it would not take long for hordes of them to descend upon Wal-Mart if they rolled this scheme out.

Sounds like a law school graduate’s daydream to me. No end of possible lawsuits! Or the daydream of someone who got an MBA and so has been trained to think that cutting costs is the answer to all questions (except the one of what happens when you cut so far into the patient’s muscle and bone that he dies on the operating table).

I can see delivery-via-other-customers coming up in a brainstorming session. After that comes the season of winnowing out selections for their feasibility. That’s where this idea would have died, if there had been any critical thinkers left at the place. Maybe they’ve all been fired already to save money.

Mar 28, 2013 10:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse
frank_ly wrote:

IMO, Walmart will never be able to compete with Amazon. Amazon has an almost infinite selection of quality items. Guess who doesn’t? Now if you would like some wiper blades, a qt. of 10w-30 oil & a bag of pork rinds, Walmart is your go to source…

Mar 28, 2013 10:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
letshavefunn4 wrote:

@krpkrpkrp

Are you completely clueless or what? Those Dominos or Mail Carriers may use their own vehicles, but that is irrelevant to the discussion as they are actual EMPLOYEES of the companies they are delivering for. These are CUSTOMERS that are there to shop. They are not EMPLOYEES of WalMart. Get a clue.

Mar 28, 2013 10:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SanPa wrote:

First couple customers arrested for criminal trespass, and this idea goes the way of the self-serve jeweler.

Mar 28, 2013 10:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RichTL wrote:

This will last as long as it takes for WalMart to get sued because one of their volunteer delivery people dropping off a package rapes and robs the customer. I’ve been there, I’ve seen the people that shop at WalMart?!?

Mar 28, 2013 10:54am EDT  --  Report as abuse

This will end up like their used car idea (which was a total failure). Wal Mart is definitely beginning to have cracks. They always has massive outs of items you need (and for weeks on end – like #10 business envelopes!) And yes, the people in Wal Mart often are make the place a very scary store to shop. I think the real deal is, that no store can survive being the shopping destination of last resort, which Wal Mart is. You buy your good or nice items through Amazon; music, DVD’s igadgets, etc. Not so much because they are cheaper (which quite often they are), but because Amazon has such a huge selection of everything. And Wal Mart can not compete with that.

Mar 28, 2013 11:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ragu4u wrote:

This is just putting MORE people out of work. It sounds like an ok idea until you really think it through.

Mar 28, 2013 11:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
realmofmirage wrote:

the line between crowd-sourcing and blatant exploitation of people is quickly becoming evident.

its shameful and probably to-be-expected that a large multibillion dollar company like Walmart .. which dumps thousands of low wage employees in the average taxpayers lap and demonstrated (at one point) how deep the rot goes by hiring infirm workers and taking life insurance policies out on them to profit when they eventually die of exhaustion.

Mar 28, 2013 11:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse
crowwwwwww wrote:

Because nothing says safety like a random person showing up at your door to deliver a package. This has liability written all over it.

Mar 28, 2013 11:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ObamaLiarLiar wrote:

Great! What are the chances of stalkers, pedophiles and criminals volunteering to deliver packages for WalMart to stake out their victims. I am not ever buying online from Walmart?

Mar 28, 2013 11:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jaye5.0 wrote:

So Walmart will pay some stranger to deliver my purchase to my home so that they can save money. How do they know the person they choose is not a felon, sex offender or just your average everyday psychopath? I would not want your average Walmart employee coming to my home, let alone a Walmart shopper. Let’s see how long this will last.

Mar 28, 2013 11:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jay_santos wrote:

Would be an interesting idea if we lived in a more normal society. Instead, they’ll be some event where a “delivery person” assaults the recipient. At that point the “attorneys” will swoop in and the liability aspects will destroy the program, maybe destroy Walmart itself. They can’t be serious about this plan.

Mar 28, 2013 11:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
PROUDAMERIAN wrote:

This could be a legal nightmare for Walmart. Stolen products, customer delivery persons that have an accident while delivering suing Walmart, customer delivery persons with unsavory backgrounds. If I were Walmart’s HR or legal team, I’d be having kittens right now!

Mar 28, 2013 11:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Luxomni wrote:

The people they are going to have deliver my purchases would be the same people I see in peopleofwalmart.com? Really? Ooooh.

Mar 28, 2013 12:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
emb21 wrote:

The reason Wal-Mart is successful is because they think out of the box and come up with innovative supply chain solutions. There are some kinks that would have to be worked out, and maybe it’s unworkable. But it is an environmentally sound idea–delivery with zero energy cost. The customer was driving by the house anyway.

For all the Wal-Mart haters out there who object to Wal-Mart building in underserved communities (NYC and Chicago come to mind,)even Michelle Obama has pointed out that Wal-Mart sells fresh produce at an affordable price.

If you don’t like the idea, don’t buy from Wal-Mart online. But keep in mind that Wal-Mart online has always paid sales taxes, and Amazon built their business model on not paying sales taxes. It’s only now, that they have established distribution centers in states covering 90% of the sales taxing jurisdictions, and they also have to collect and remit sales taxes, that Amazon is advocating that their smaller competitors should be similarly burdened.

Personally, I like both Amazon and Wal-Mart. For some things we shop for low cost and at other times for maximum convenience. There’s room for both.

Mar 28, 2013 12:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Burns0011 wrote:

The liability issues alone are ridiculous. Accountability is a problem.

This isn’t the same as someone asking a neighbor they trust to go pick something up from Wal-Mart, this is random stranger delivering to another random stranger, and the potential for lawsuits is incredible.

This is Walmart execs trying to brainstorm ways to get away with reducing or removing their shipping expenses at the cost of shoppers and taxpayers who have to foot the bill for increased law enforcement activity when the inevitable delivery thefts happen.

Mar 28, 2013 12:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
WallaBingBang wrote:

@krpkrpkrp

Actually, the long lines at checkout are due to having too few cashiers. It is not an either-or proposition. Usually, when I go, there is one cashier at the tobacco lane, and one watching the self-checkout. That’s it. The managers walk around the long lines of customers up front and do not care, even when you ask them to open a lane. I do grocery shop there, and buy everything else at Amazon, but I would gladly go somewhere else for groceries if there were a viable alternative where I live.

Mar 28, 2013 12:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dickn52 wrote:

But I never got the new flat screen TV. What do you mean a guy with a yellow baseball hat was going to deliver it?

Mar 28, 2013 1:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I love how you need a courier’s license in Chicago to deliver a package. Someone please explain to me the benefit of that? The whole licensing requirement is probably unnecessary for the majority of jobs it is affects. For some the cost/benefit analysis might make it worthwhile, but for most of cases I’m sure there is no discernible benefit to the customer.

Mar 28, 2013 1:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Izee wrote:

That’s one way of avoiding the pesky labor laws that Wal-Mart lobbied be forced on their small business competitors. Feudalism, here we come.

Mar 28, 2013 1:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kefob wrote:

Can you deliver this TV to our customer? Sure! (Delivers it to his own living room.) Does anyone else see the liability and issues that this could bring?

Mar 28, 2013 1:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ardillakilla wrote:

People are already trying to bum rides off of me in the Wal-Mart parking lot or asking for spare change or to use my phone. It seems natural that they soon won’t even bother to go to Wal-Mart and will just have me deliver their goods to their home.

Mar 28, 2013 2:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AttyJim wrote:

You say “crowd sourcing,” I say, “Getting free labor.” What’s the difference?

By the way, if I’m delivering a box for Walmart, and I get into an accident, does their insurance cover me? What if I go to the house and the homeowner’s dog bites me? What if I show up and the customer complains that the delivery is wrong or accuses me of theft? Will Walmart indemnify me? What if another customer is supposed to deliver my new plasma TV but makes off with it instead?

Mar 28, 2013 2:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
fcabanski wrote:

The likelihood is low because only morons are willing to deliver packages for essentially 0 pay. Compensating people for gas is, essentially, 0 compensation. Why should I perform a free service for Walmart?

Mar 28, 2013 2:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DanielaB wrote:

Well said by Garrick. it is great to see large retailers interested in finding same-day delivery solutions for online shoppers. We are proud to be helping local small and medium sized businesses achieve this using WeDeliver.us.

Mar 28, 2013 3:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ronryegadfly wrote:

If Wal-Mart wants to do something, they need to stop installing the electronic self check-out machines. Those things are there to replace the human workers that Wal-Mart, one of the richest companies in the world, is too cheap to pay.

Technology has many uses, but to replace human jobs shouldn’t be one of them.

Mar 28, 2013 4:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

The last thing I want is a typical Walmart shopper coming to my residence.

Mar 28, 2013 5:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NixNightbird wrote:

Dear Walmart,

I don’t mind when UPS, USPS, or FedEx make a delivery because I know the person at my door is an employee of a nationally-recognized company and that there are certain security procedures in place to make sure that the person in the delivery uniform isn’t a raving psychopath, or worse.

I WILL mind if you send some random dipsh*t Walmart customer to my door so they can case the place, wander on my property, handle my property (the delivery), steal my property, or just push their way in to rape and/or murder everyone in the building.

HOW EXACTLY are you going to screen these people who sign up to do customer deliveries for you? And when one of them dents my car pulling into my driveway, are you going to be liable for the damage? When one of them abducts the neighbor’s kids, are you going to defend the program that made it possible for Jimmy the Molester to be paired up with Jane Smith and her three children when they otherwise would never have met up on Jane’s property?

I guess what I’m saying is [holds up middle finger] crowdsource THIS.

Mar 28, 2013 5:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
calbrkr wrote:

If one orders an item from the on-line service is there a statement on the website that delivery will be effected by an unknown party on whom no background check is done and who may not be permitted by law to drive or deliver packages?

Would such a statement be sufficient to protect Walmart from claims and suits arising from the actions of these delivery people?

What will Walmart do to ensure that those who are under parole or probation will not violate the conditions under which they remain free while delivering goods?

Will Walmart be liable when the first death occurs, either by the recipient shooting an unknown person on his doorstep or the delivery person killing the recipient?

How does Walmart manage the liability for those items stolen or damaged by the non-employed delivery people?

How does Walmart manage the liability for the inevitable motor vehicle accident?

Why would anyone credit Walmart for thinking out of the box for this concept?

As a risk manager of 25 years in corporate America I am appalled to think that there are those who would support this idea. Does anyone believe “gas money” should be considered compensation?

Mar 28, 2013 5:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
krpkrpkrp wrote:

“Frankly, I don’t shop at Wal-Mart because I don’t want their cheap Chinese made products and what isn’t Chinese made isn’t worth fighting the crowds over as I can get those products at equal or lower prices almost anywhere else.”

You mean like iPhones?

If you don’t shop at Wal-Mart then how do you know that they have cheap Chinese made products?

I challenge any of you stuck-up NorthEast Liberals to name one item for sale at Wal-Mart that is made in China that isn’t available any where else.

Mar 28, 2013 8:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
krpkrpkrp wrote:

@ letshavefunn4 wrote:

@krpkrpkrp

Have you even read the article? This is no different than what other sites are doing. What they are doing is rent out space in someone’s vehicle. There is a registration process, obviously, to qualify.
I am sure that you clueless liberal haters assumed that they were doing to just give random customers delivery items, because in your warped liberal “mind” that is what you would expect from anyone outside of your liberal cocoon.

Mar 28, 2013 8:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
agio wrote:

Wow that’s stupid. And these guys get paid millions to think this stuff up?

Mar 28, 2013 8:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
krpkrpkrp wrote:

@ Jaye5.0 wrote:

So Walmart will pay some stranger to deliver my purchase to my home so that they can save money. How do they know the person they choose is not a felon, sex offender or just your average everyday psychopath? ”

Have you ever heard of a thing called a Social Security Number? That is a requirement to pay someone a wage. No one would be able to register for the site without providing their Social Security Number because otherwise Wal-mart would not pay them for their service.

Wal-mart requires background checks for all of their employees and also drug screening.

Seems to me that you and your ilk have no problem voting for a psychopath for President.

Mar 28, 2013 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
krpkrpkrp wrote:

” TheNewWorld wrote:

The last thing I want is a typical Walmart shopper coming to my residence.

Better to my residence than to a polling place to vote for the likes of Obama.

Mar 28, 2013 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

All you republicans keep thinking “union thugs” are too stupid to understand what is being proposed here. What they are saying is they want their customers to do deliveries for them rather than paid delivery people. In return for coupons. Has nothing to do with unions dumb asses.

In the end, however, this is a tort lawyers fantasy world. Just as soon as some customer kills another customer, billions in judgements will flow and they will flow from Wal-Mart.

But more to the point, what makes Wal-Mart think that their customers want random customers showing up at other people’s doors? I certainly wouldn’t want the lowlifes I see shopping and working there at my door.

Mar 28, 2013 11:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jerryg50 wrote:

I would not buy anything from a place that is going to use another customer to deliver my order. I would not feel comfortable delivering an item for another customer. I am not a delivery service.

How do I know the customer is not going to loose or drop my order?

What about my privacy?

What is when the item arrives it is damaged and I want to refuse it, as like I would do with a professional carrier?

Mar 29, 2013 8:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ereilad wrote:

Just like delivering pizza!
Don’t forget the tip.

Mar 30, 2013 8:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
bluto1960 wrote:

Not a great idea for all the reason listed above
and probably quite a few more.
What if someone delivered Some groceries to you and ate half of them first or delivered a baseball bat to you
and then beat you with it?

Mar 30, 2013 10:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lawgone wrote:

So Walmart wants to compete with Amazon? That isn’t happening with or without this new delivery scheme of theirs.

Apr 02, 2013 8:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse