Rescuers struggle to reach China quake zone as toll climbs

Reuters1945 wrote:

In a world beset with never ending wars, civil strife, mass starvation and rampant disease, Nature also seems to have a need to remind we fragile mortals, that Nature also has the power to bring human life to a sudden and unexpected end.
A reminder, once again, that we, the living must treasure every day and every hour of our lives, as if it were the very last.
May the survivors of this latest tragedy in China find comfort and peace and eventual healing from this terrible event.

Apr 21, 2013 1:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
westernshame wrote:

very sad news indeed, mother nature can be so cruel.

Apr 21, 2013 11:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
zhengjuncai wrote:

God bless China. Hope the people affected there will recovered soon!

Apr 21, 2013 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@Rich_F

That description has occurred during every period of time since it was stated by Jesus. Every civilization has had people believe that it was the end times.

Apr 21, 2013 1:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jtison wrote:

I don’t believe this quake was any kind of divine retribution for anything. I think it has much more to do with living near a boundary to a tectonic plate. The “Pacific Ring of Fire” is just a series of connecting tectonic plate boundaries. From California to Chile to Alaska to Japan and China, you see these quakes all the time. They never seem small, and there’s always major tragedy in all of them. My hopes and prayers go with all the victims and their loved ones.

Apr 21, 2013 2:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MikeBarnett wrote:

China raised its construction standards after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, and 208 died this time compared to 70,000 in 2008. Most buildings remained standing; no schools fell; water and power are out; but supplies and reconstruction crews are on the way.

My partners and I live and work about 400 miles north of Ya’an, and we’ve sent a convoy of food and water that we donated to do something.
We’re originally from the US and four of us are from Texas, so we also follow events in West. We run technology companies in agriculture, aquaculture, and water purification, so we have useful supplies to send.

@jtison

Sichuan is in central China far to the west of the Ring of Fire in the Pacific. However, it is north of the Himilayas that were formed when the Indian Plate collided with the Asian Plate. The Indian subcontinent continues to try and move into southern China, so earthquakes occur.

Apr 21, 2013 3:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
joeyjoejoe11 wrote:

AWWWEEE….Reuters covering their beloved China. So sweet,, bunch of Chinese collaborators.

Apr 21, 2013 7:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Micky55 wrote:

Hey Rich. If that were (is) the case, then the U.S. should be a smoking hole in the ground. I turned on the tube today while I was exercising and saw the Kardshian’s and some good ole boys in the swamps and some hip hop guys and gals doing drugs, and it took me a long time of clicking through the channels to find, nothing worth seeing. That’s culture here in the U.S. I’m sure that you will say it’s just a matter of time before we’re wiped out but answer this for me. Why not give us a sign that we are on the wrong path? Why not send Jesus down once again to set us straight? Why wipe out a lot of innocents in the process? This I cannot understand.

Apr 21, 2013 7:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sstflyer wrote:

Very sad situation. However, I don’t think the U.S. government should send any money and aid. China is not our friend or ally and right now they are building weapons that will be able to destroy our aircraft carriers. China has enough billionaires, and our money, to adequately handle the disaster. I don’t think China will be donating any relief funds to our flood victims!

Apr 21, 2013 8:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ffallguy wrote:

A 7.9 quake hit in May 2008, killing 70,000!!! That one event out paces the total of every Muslim terrorist action in the world since the Munich Olympics in 1972.

Apr 21, 2013 8:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse