Japan's Abe has chance to show true colors after big election win

Comments (12)
lex_70 wrote:

If you are at all informed on what is happening around the world today, you should be very, very afraid.

The only thing keeping the US afloat right now is the Petrodollar…. many countries including Iran and the BRICS block are finally dropping the Petro and no longer will the US dollar be the world currency… the ‘Federal Reserve’ and it’s shareholders are not about to let that happen.

Add to this that Bernanke is ensuring the collapse of the US dollar by printing 85 billion a month since 2008… and it does not take a genius to see we are on fast track to WW3…. The war for the Petro…. pathetic…. all in the name of the Banking Elite.

Jul 21, 2013 7:31am EDT  --  Report as abuse
DougAnderson wrote:

@lex_70

Always hilarious to read high school students post about global economics on Reuters. Keep it up!

Jul 21, 2013 12:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lex_70 wrote:

DougAnderson

It’s called Geo Politics Big man. And you say that with a str8 face while another city goes bankrupt…lolol. China and Iran are dropping the petro, China and Australia dropping US dollar in trade, China Russia dropping the petro, Libya was setting up an African gold based currency… look where he is now…. BRICS have announced they are establishing a monetary fund.. that is over 2/3rds of the world population…

So sell it somewhere else.

Jul 21, 2013 12:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lex_70 wrote:

Dougy boy… those are facts.

Jul 21, 2013 12:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Doc62 wrote:

Abe Rincoln he ain’t. Japan is a mess, but their citizens are tough and always “pitch in” to fix issues. The USA could learn a lot from them, especially Detroit, Chicago, D.C. and New Orleans.
Taoism!
Honesty, integrity, humility, respect and teamwork. Non-existant here. The USA, at 62% FLAB, is a pile of morbid obesity and gridlock. Me, me, me!
Walk in the Park, not drive to Mickey D’s!

Jul 21, 2013 12:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
picosauce wrote:

Doc62, just because a stereotype is “positive” doesn’t mean it isn’t racist.

Jul 21, 2013 12:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jzhou wrote:

Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party winning could have been blessing and curse same time for Japanese people. It may be united country in short period of time, but this short period time can lead long term consequence, i.e. war with China or South Korea, go nuclear… Japan was prosperity for more than half century from Korean then Vietnam wars; they never spend more than 5% GDP for national defense. Now, it seemed everything is off, they are going to matching dollar by dollar with China on defense spending, when you spend more than 25% GDP on killing machinery, there is nothing good come out, just look today’s USA, if they did not invade Iraqi, or Afghanistan, how much money and lives could save by doing something good for improve quality life of people in the world?

Jul 21, 2013 1:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
XianSheng wrote:

@Jzhou: If the US hadn’t spent so much of their GDP, people in the US would be speaking German today (after losing to Germany). Iraq and Afghanistan did go awry, but there was a perceived threat of Islamic terrorism that was and continues to threaten the Western way of life. Fighting Islamic Fundamentalism cost money (GDP if you will). Retreating behind some liberal idea of isolationism only emboldens these wackos. That’s an unfortunate fact of the world we live in today. Same with Communist, which wasn’t won by saving GDP dollars either.

Jul 21, 2013 4:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
XianSheng wrote:

Corrected:
“…Same with Communism, which wasn’t won by saving GDP dollars either.
(It’s unfortunate Reuters doesn’t have an edit button. Would help avoid those idiots out there who pounce on your spelling mistake as if that was the focus of your comment).

Jul 21, 2013 4:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ogasawara2 wrote:

I don’t understand why so many people cry because Japan simply wants to replace its USA-imposed Constitution with its own one and transform it self-defense military into a “normal” military like any other country in the world. If this is nationalism, than US and China’ is what?

Jul 21, 2013 8:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Kailim wrote:

Abe’s economic policy has not touched or addressed the root of Japan’s problem. It is bound to be a failure.

Abe’s political ideology is nationalism and that is his aspiration. Regardless of the status of Japan’s modern military, it is in fact bigger than Britain and has still the most powerful striking power in Asia.

In the event of foreseeing a economic failure Abe may has not much choice but to divert people’s attention by promoting nationalism and instigating conflicts with neighbors as his predecessor did. That is what I am worrying about.

Jul 21, 2013 10:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CyberWoodsman wrote:

The million dollar question now is whether or not Abe sticks to his economic policies. Or pushes his true objective which will lead Japan down a very troubling & uncertain path. The real agenda: Japan will need to develop enough defense capability to protect or expand its natural resource claims. Here we go again as isn’t this what got Japan into trouble the last time! I don’t see how Abenomics will do much if anything if he chooses the military route. One of the reasons Japan has managed to stay relatively safe & terrorist free is for one main reason. It’s lack of involvement in world conflicts which would make it a target otherwise. Furthermore this is one thing I hear from people about the Japanese the world over which people respect the most about Japan. It’s it’s pacifist ideology and commitment towards world peace. Which serves as an example for others to follow. The only thing this is going to do is open Pandora’s Box . With Japan’s already negative view of any and all things foreign. Added to it’s extreme xenophobia and tendency towards dangerous nationalism as of late. Which has only been reinforced by Japan’s foot in mouth syndrome which seems to plague most Japanese politicians these days.

If Abe would focus his Article 9 efforts on the present and future, I think most would agree with Japan building up its defensive stance. However he continues to focus on the past, always framing his comments around WWII. Making constitutional changes should be difficult, plain and simple. The constitution of any nation should not be something that is easily tampered with, as it should be the basis of the country’s law and what it stand for. It is necessary to protect the minorities from potential tyranny. If Abe get’s his way, Article 9 isn’t the only change he envisions, he also wants to make changes to education, health and welfare system, and make Japan a more nationalist leaning country. Like they aren’t nationalist leaning enough already lol. This is the beginning of Japan’s worst problems after its invasion of countries in Asia during the Second World War. This will be one of the greatest tragedies for Japan. Just remember that Abe threw the first stone and his LDP glass house will come crashing down soon. This one-sided and unnecessary continuous antagonism that Abe has been fanning will only bring more trouble for the ordinary people of Japan. To promote economic growth, employment generation, lowering of taxes, upgrading of social services are more important than political antagonism.

It seems the priority is for the latter & Japan will suffer even more miserably under Abe than it has ever experienced since the end of the 2nd World War. Sheesh, why does he continue to do this? It only hurts the very objectives he is trying to achieve! There are also questions in Japan about what exactly the United States would do in the event of a deeply provocative action by China with respect to the Senkakus. Both former Secretary of State Clinton and former Defense Secretary Panetta have made clear that Article 5 of the US-Japan Security Treaty covers the Senkaku islands because they are part of the territory returned to Japan in 1972. But they have also made clear that each side should manage the problem in a way that ensures it never reaches that point. While i have much respect for the Japanese people. I also have reservations about giving that kind of power to a country which still hasn’t come to grips with it’s own wartime past. It’s not necessary and will only further destabilize the region. Not to mention that this isn’t a good situation for the US to be in. In fact the only thing the Japanese government seems to be doing quite well at present is antagonizing Washington on almost a weekly basis.

Japan US relations have always been somewhat difficult to gage. It’s a love hate relationship for sure which hasn’t always been on equal footing. In fact that is probably putting it somewhat mildly. Which is why I don’t believe that any change in the constitution will be beneficial for either party. The success of the Democratic Party of Japan was never assured but it was the very first time that the Japanese electorate put full faith and confidence in a genuine, rather than fake, transfer of power from one political party to another. Japan’s democracy has largely been artificial until the DPJ’s August 2009 victory. Hatoyama’s fall was in part because of his own failings but also because the US fought him so hard and so publicly over Futenma that his administration collapsed. Many Japanese think that the US knocked off their prime minister. Too bad the US didn’t try some of the same boldness with Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu. Many Japanese also believe that US will not come to Japan’s defense. This is not the kind of exchange we need to address a common threat in China. Japan has to think through its relations with both China and Korea. It does it no good to have things harken back to the 1930s. I used to not understand this, but it comes down to this: What if the way you teach history has an effect on what people think about defense?

It sounds funny to a Westerner, but certainly China seems to believe it. It is one reason they are so loud about all this right now. After Tianamen, they not only needed to rebuild credibility, they needed to stop Japan from being a normal country, with military strength proportionate to economical. Henceforth from my experience with Japanese, this is true as they come in sets. People who advocate the need for more defense are also relatively apologist about Japan’s Imperial era. Just look at Japan’s candidates & again we see this correlation. On a closing note if we accept the views of the Japanese population as being too pacifist for their own good, and that this view may have to do with their perception of history. Japan today is so much different then it was 70 or so years go. However occasionally there are politicians like honest Abe which take actions that instead of looking to the future look to the past. Thus seeing a counter-reaction in which the legitimacy of a future, strong Japanese leader will be a combination of pugnacious nationalism, a dark version of Japanese soul-searching, that not only wants to scrimmage with its neighbors but defies controls set forth which put an end to WWII. What Abe does now is anyone’s guess. However let’s just hope his nationalistic tendencies don’t clout his better judgement. Otherwise I fear we may just see a repeat of history of which Japan & the world will have to suffer for all over again.

Jul 22, 2013 6:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.