Dutch sound alarm about possible risks of e-cigarettes

Comments (6)
whereyou wrote:

I am continually amazed this type of reporting has no awareness of the role of modern cigarettes, nicotine, and addiction. You make it sound like nicotine is the only cause of addiction in combustion cigarettes. They are not. Cigarettes are treated with ammonia and other cholinergic compounds that work synergistically with nicotine to produce the type of dependence you seem to think nicotine alone causes. You are wrong.

Nicotine in it’s pure form is just a little more addictive than coffee! Instead of vilifying the return to pure nicotine in these e-cigarette products, which are far less addictive and harmful, perhaps you should reflect on why modern combustion cigarettes are allow to claim they are tobacco at all — the real 900lb gorilla here is the 50 years of chemical wizardry the combustion industry has engaged in to make smoking the scourge it is today.

Learn about neurotransmitters and learn about ammonia and other cholergenics in cigarettes, and you will see WHY so many people are electing to use e-cigarettes – they finally know what they are getting!

and for this, you want to ban the best thing to happen to the habit in a 100 years. Whose paying you?

Nov 28, 2013 12:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse

“The institute said it was concerned about a lack of evidence on the possible health effects of e-cigarettes, and said that as a precaution, they should not be used by pregnant women or in the vicinity of children.”

Making recommendations based on a lack of evidence?

Nov 28, 2013 1:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Protricity wrote:

“The science is not in yet, so lets get all sensational about POSSIBLE effects”.

Not quite what the Dutch Ministry proposed, but rather how the decision was portrayed by shoddy news media such as reuters.

If there’s no story, sensationalize! Welcome to the new low of news media. We’re livin it.

Nov 28, 2013 1:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
whatha wrote:

A “gateway”?

I went to d-cigs about 6 weeks ago to get off the Prime Times. I didn’t get around to ordering more cartridges and we ran out about two weeks ago. I haven’t really had a burning desire to smoke them or the Prime Times since.

Of course everyone’s different. I smoked lightly in the first place, except when drinking or partying. Maybe I am just not addicted to nicotine? Even still, if e-cigs are a gateway as is suggested, I would think they would have made me want to keep smoking?

E-cig formulas are available in varying percentages of nicotine, all the way to 0%. I tried the 1.2% and 0.6% so they were pretty weak. I’m not convinced they should be considered a “gateway”, especially if you smoke the lower percentages.

Nov 28, 2013 2:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gilross wrote:

There is NO evidence e-cigarettes represent a gateway to smoking; in fact, the evidence supports the opposite effect ( http://bit.ly/HzfMgc ). Warning people–smokers–not to use e-cigarettes because of concerns such as “a lack of evidence on the possible health effects of e-cigarettes…” makes no sense, since we are all highly aware of the toxic effects of cigarettes. And advising that “they should not be used by pregnant women or in the vicinity of children” ignores, as is always the case, the dilemma of women who are smokers and can’t quit: are they better off on the nicotine mixed with tobacco smoke? And the vapor of e-cigarettes contains nothing of such levels to pose a danger to anyone, including children, exposed to it. Gil Ross MD/ACSH.org

Nov 30, 2013 12:26am EST  --  Report as abuse
stewiegr wrote:

So they concluded e-cigarettes should be banned because of a groundbreaking research made by Dutch’s National Institute for Public Health which revealed that we don’t know what the possible health effects of e-cigarettes are.

Nov 30, 2013 12:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.