Unemployment rate hits five-year low, eyes on the Fed

Comments (66)
prrson wrote:

so this is good news, right?

Dec 06, 2013 1:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
prrson wrote:

so this is good news, right?

Dec 06, 2013 1:37am EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Sure, lets just keep pushing more people out of the workforce to get the numbers where we want them. Eventually, when everyone gives up looking for work and the nation sits idle because of liberal policy and agenda, then we can claim 0% unemployment, wont those numbers be great and signify full recovery?

Dec 06, 2013 9:01am EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Additionally, these numbers are like a family trying to reduce the food budget, if they all eat Ramen noodles, they can then claim a reduced food budget, but at what cost? The food is of such poor quality and value as to be unsustainable in the long run and still expect good health. The same is true of the jobs, many of those finding work are degree holders serving you your meal or getting in a full 25 hours/week. Work is good, but when the jobs are of such poor quality, they cannot sustain the economy for long. How can anyone expect us to survive on our new service economy, eventually, there will be no one to serve.

Dec 06, 2013 9:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
mamabig5 wrote:

Why don’t you do some real reporting and report how many of those employed people are able to work full time or if they have had to settle for a part time job to accomodate crappy OBAMACARE. Now, that’s a real story. We all know the Federal Government’s “employment numbers” are suspect. They don’t tell the real story. So, do your job Reuters. Start reporting the truth.

Dec 06, 2013 10:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
mamabig5 wrote:

or start reporting how many people are needing to work two jobs because they can’t get hired to work a 40 hr work week for people because of the OBAMACARE fiasco. Now, that would be an interesting story to read…. Not this crap about the government saving the unemployed.

Dec 06, 2013 10:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Let us not forget that these figures come from calculations that have been done the same way for years. There are no politics in the figures, and they show an incremental continuing trend of improvement.

Unfortunately, any good news that happens under the current administration tends to make some people’s head explode.

Dec 06, 2013 11:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
Rich_F wrote:

there are lies, damn lies and statistics. one needs to look under the covers at the quality of employment. it’s here that the dismal picture comes into focus. i’m not pointing fingers as i don’t play the faux red team/blue team as both parties have been in power for decades and have brought us to where we are.

Dec 06, 2013 11:29am EST  --  Report as abuse

“In addition, the jobless rate fell even as the participation rate – the share of working-age Americans who either have a job or are looking for one – bounced back from a 35-1/2-year low touched in October.”

Seriously folks, read the damn article.

Dec 06, 2013 11:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

Original report @http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. Looks like the data was heavily swung by the temporary shutdown. I am confused, however, a 0.3% increase from 155M in the labor force represents 465K more jobs. How could net gain of 203K increase knock off 0.3% when the base also increased?

Dec 06, 2013 12:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@gregbrew56 good news, indeed. But these jobs come at the expense of $1T annual deficit. If the $1T were directly paid to the 0.5M new jobs their average salary would have been $2M. But I doubt they are paid so well. Who pocketed the difference?

Dec 06, 2013 12:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bigsurleo wrote:

I’m not sure this is good news just more propaganda. If the unemployment rate falls that does not meant that all those who are no longer on unemployment have suddenly found a job. Especially during the winter when most industries are laying people off. Don’t jump to the conclusion that these numbers are meant as anything other than a signal to wall street to move money around that’s all it is.

Dec 06, 2013 12:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bigsurleo wrote:

I’m not sure this is good news just more propaganda. If the unemployment rate falls that does not meant that all those who are no longer on unemployment have suddenly found a job. Especially during the winter when most industries are laying people off. Don’t jump to the conclusion that these numbers are meant as anything other than a signal to wall street to move money around that’s all it is.

Dec 06, 2013 12:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

LOL…It kills me. Any time there’s good news the conservatives get upset and claim that’s it’s bad. They hate Obama so much that they’d rather see our country do poorly just so that they can blame Obama rather than have the country do well and face public approval of Obama. Your hatred has made you insane.

Dec 06, 2013 1:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
dkgerich wrote:

This is pure BS! It reflect holiday hiring. Emperor POTUC, what is the “EFFECTIVE” Unemployment Rate??? Probably around 10%.

Obama, tell us the real truth!!!

Dec 06, 2013 1:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Whatsgoingon: Who pocketed the difference? The biggest receivers would be defense contractors and healthcare providers. That’s where the biggest chunk of the budget goes. But, of course, it’s complicated. For example, corporations get big tax brakes and some of them pay such low wages that the government has to suppliment those people’s incomes just so they can get by. So in a very real sense, we’re subsidizing some of the big, profitable companies, like Walmart, and giving them tax brakes to boot.

Dec 06, 2013 1:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Rich_F: There’s actually 2 issues at play here. Yes, the job numbers are good news. Period. If they were lower, that would be bad. Higher = good. The problem is that companies aren’t paying enough. Profits are up, but they aren’t increasing wages. That’s the bad news. What do you do about that?

Dec 06, 2013 1:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GreaterGood wrote:

The nature of the beast is simple: Wall Street runs our businesses. Every decision made is weighed against how ‘the street’ will respond, not if it’s good for employees or the larger society. For instance, one of the key metrics in the heath of a business is productivity; if you want to increase productivity, decrease staff yet maintain the same output. Those creating the output will march over the bodies of the less fortunate on their way into the plant every morning, hoping it isn’t them next. The corporations have the ‘survivors’ terrified that they can be replaced. Decrease staff, maintain output, increase productivity, Wall Street is happy, and you get the new Benz in the driveway.

Dec 06, 2013 1:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse

flashrooster wrote:
“LOL…It kills me. Any time there’s good news the conservatives get upset and claim that’s it’s bad. They hate Obama so much that they’d rather see our country do poorly just so that they can blame Obama rather than have the country do well and face public approval of Obama. Your hatred has made you insane.”

If the CBO suggests something good, they are liars. If they suggest something bad, it’s the truth.

Good news is bad.
Bad news is good.
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Dec 06, 2013 1:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jameson4Lunch wrote:

Hard to get excited about the U-3 when the labor force participation rate is so low. Off it’s 35 year low, but not by much.

Dec 06, 2013 2:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse

By the end of December, you should see even more “improvement” in the fantasy numbers, as 1.3 million people are dropped from the rolls of unemployment. That’s when their UI benefits expire and the government no longer has to count them unemployed. These people will all magically vanish into thin air and all will be rosy, but just at the White House.

The real story is in business news, where retailer revenues have taken a beating despite heavy discounting and stock prices are manipulated to fit one model or another. Employment (or lack or decline thereof) is really a lagging indicator that’s being abused by politicians.

Dec 06, 2013 2:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Rich_F wrote:

using the historical employment participation rate not today’s near 35 year low the unemployment rate is 11.5%. nope nothing to see here!

Dec 06, 2013 2:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

We live in a time where some people rejoice that we have 7.0% unemployment, and that it has been above that number for the last 5 years straight.

Dec 06, 2013 2:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

USofRationality: Orwell was prescient. I feel like we’re walking toward a cliff and there doesn’t seem to be any way to stop us from stepping over the edge. The American people really have very little governing power any more. Most all Americans know that, but those in power keep us confused about WHY we no longer have a voice in how we’re governed. They use our ignorance against us to great effect. For example, they’ve convinced almost half the country that any time the government tries to do something it’s automatically bad. Why? Because government is bad and, therefore, anything they do is bad. Their answer is to diminish the size and power of our government, which is tantamont to diminishing the size and power of the influence of the American people. Then the plutocrats have what they want: carte blanche. People forget that the government is our tool and is intended to serve us. It’s sad how gullible some Americans are, how they allow themselves to vote against the best interests.

Dec 06, 2013 3:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

TheNewWorld: Perhaps what those people are really happy about is that the unemployment picture is improving. That IS a reason to be happy, no? If we had 15% unemployment and it came down to 10%, would that not be something to be happy about? It would be different if people were saying that 7% unemployment is great and we shouldn’t try to do better, but I don’t think anyone’s saying that. Do you? You seem to always lament any good news because you’re afraid it will speak well of Obama, someone you’re mysteriously obsessed with hatred over.

Just imagine how black Americans feel about the way the first black President has been treated. It would be different if Obama was treated like every other President, no better and no worse. But he’s not. He’s treated much more disrespectfully than any other President and yet the only real difference is that he’s black. It’s not a good comment on America’s conservatives.

And PLEASE don’t try to say that Obama’s treated the same as other Presidents. Who else was called a liar on international television during the State of the Union address, and the person isn’t even repremanded for doing so by their party’s leaders? Who else has had their nationality seriously questioned? Who else has had 72 judicial nominees filibustered? I could go on all day. The truth is, there is no comparison. And you guys want to pretend that there’s not a racial aspect to the way the right has treated Obama. Bull.

Dec 06, 2013 3:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@Whatsgoingon “…But these jobs come at the expense of $1T annual deficit. If the $1T were directly paid to the 0.5M new jobs their average salary would have been $2M. But I doubt they are paid so well. Who pocketed the difference?”
Sorry I just realized the 0.5M job creation number for 2013 was too low. This report has a better picture http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-30/average-job-creation-cost-2013-553000
Apologies for the oversight. But I hope the point about job creation efficiency still holds.

Dec 06, 2013 3:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Whatsgoingon: Not sure what you’re poing IS. Are you trying to draw a direct correlation between employment numbers and the deficit? Why? After all, among other things the deficit reflects ongoing expenditures that were made years ago. For example, there are ongoing expenditure from the Iraq War. How does that part of the deficit reflect on today’s employment numbers?

Dec 06, 2013 4:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jameson4Lunch wrote:

flashrooster – “The American people really have very little governing power any more…
..Their answer is to diminish the size and power of our government, which is tantamont to diminishing the size and power of the influence of the American people. ”

I see doublethink.

Dec 06, 2013 4:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@flashrooster the only excuse for deficit spending today is job creation. Isn’t it? I thought Obama stopped WOT, was I wrong?

Dec 06, 2013 5:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Jameson4Lunch: Good for you, but I already figured you did. But it’s never too late.

Dec 06, 2013 5:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Whatsgoingon: You’re not making a lot of sense. What is your point when you say the only excuse for deficit spending is job creation? That’s not necessarily true, but I suppose in a hermetic world that argument could be made. I’m just not sure what point you’re trying to make. Nor do I understand the point you’re trying to make by saying you thought Obama stopped the WOT. I guess it depends on how you define WOT. For example, where do you draw the line between WOT and national security? I’m just not seeing your point.

Dec 06, 2013 5:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

This is not real fix -

Employers are hiring more part-timers, to skirt-around the ACA 30hour requirement by thinning the number of hours of existing part-timers.

Dec 06, 2013 5:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Jameson4Lunch wrote:

flashrooster – No thanks. I like consistency and logic in my worldview. But I’m curious, does the dissonance ever hurt?

Dec 06, 2013 5:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Mott: LOL…employers have been doing that for decades now, to avoid paying benefits. Nothing new.

Dec 06, 2013 5:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse

@gcf1965, do you even read articles or just headlines?, you said ‘Sure, lets just keep pushing more people out of the workforce to get the numbers where we want them. Eventually, when everyone gives up looking for work and the nation sits idle because of liberal policy and agenda, then we can claim 0% unemployment, wont those numbers be great and signify full recovery?’

From the article ‘The decline came even as the participation rate – the share of working-age Americans who either have a job or are looking for one – bounced back from October’s 35-1/2-year low.’

Not like you ever had any credibility, any that you may have had I have shown to be non-existent in last few month, but you just lost a big chunk of it.

Dec 06, 2013 6:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve2 wrote:

Sure, lets just keep pushing more people out of the workforce to get the numbers where we want them. Eventually, when everyone gives up looking for work and the nation sits idle because of liberal policy and agenda, then we can claim 0% unemployment, wont those numbers be great and signify full recovery?

Brilliant gcf. But they still think we havent figured it out yet.

They are like a broken record, “bullish” this and “bullish” that.

Notice how the oh so hot housing market from 6 months ago is barely mentioned at all these days? and for a year, all we heard about was Apple, Apple, Apple.

What is the next media meme?

Dec 06, 2013 7:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse

US Workforce from Bureau of Labor Statistics Labor Force One-Screen data for “Employed full time + part time, age 16+” http://www.bls.gov/cps/

144.78 Million for November reported Dec 6, 2013
144.65 Million for September 2013
145.11 Million for July 2013

Trend shows flat to declining employed workforce for November compared to recent months. No great joy in these numbers other than they are not declining more. For the 144.78 million employed in workforce each now has $118,923.50 share of November’s US National Debt more than double the $58,534.73 share for fiscal 2006.

When will managers of the United States communicate to citizens the complete picture, trends, and consequences? We are seeing what bankrupty for Detroit will do with pensions reduced by more than 50% and can carry this forward to benefit reductions in Medicare, Social Security, Medicad, and US federal pensions when US National Debt becomes unsustainable in several years.

Dec 06, 2013 7:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve2 wrote:

GGBrew:
Let us not forget that these figures come from calculations that have been done the same way for years. There are no politics in the figures, and they show an incremental continuing trend of improvement.

You are so full of squat.

Just 6 months ago they CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF GDP to include something new and thereby improve the numbers.

Any one with a computer can access Shadowstats.com and learn the real inflation and unemployment numbers.

The governement released inflation numbers are great as long as you dont eat, drive a car, and a few other things that have been changed. For everyone else, its about 8%.

As for Real Unemployment, try 13%.

Why do you think they dont bother releasing M2 anymore? Whenever things get bad enough, they change the rules.

Just like obama. broke the law 3 times on obamacare.

Dec 06, 2013 7:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Foxdrake_360 wrote:

As for real unemployment… try 30% (When you factor in unemployed, given up, under-employed and those working she-tty jobs).

Yep. 30%. It hasn’t changed on bit since 2008 and it all really began in 2004.

Dec 06, 2013 9:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Loucleve2: Did you celebrate on 9/11/01? Or do you only relish when Americans suffer under a Democratic President?

I’ve reached the conclusion that the #1 reason the Republican party is dying out is because they’ve all gone stark raving mad having to live in a country with a black man as their President.

Dec 06, 2013 9:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
masterenki wrote:

Well that is great since most states just cut off the people on unemployment after 26 weeks and ended the federal, so when they did that cut off, unemployment must have went down a whole percent or two with all those people who cannot claim unemployment, lets see what is the number 8 million nationwide on unemployment, 25 million or so who can’t find work because they were unemployed so long and can’t file for unemployment because they used it all up, and now listed as gave up looking,
so real unemployment should be at 33 million, close to 10 percent, hmm now imagine what that number would do to the markets, but then again most people are so ignorant they only look at fantasy numbers and watch their numbing tv

Dec 07, 2013 12:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
deeplyCynical wrote:

I have had two Christmas-temp jobs in the past, both times the work started around late October – early November. Temp staff are broken in during the weeks leading up to the Christmas rush and new year sales. Afterwards, around middle of January when retail slows right down, over 95% of the Christmas-temp staff were let go.

Seems a bit foolish to give November’s data equal consideration, let’s see what kind of experts we have in charge.

Dec 07, 2013 2:35am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:04am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

Pack of lies. Forget about the unemployment… if they really want to find out the truth. I strongly recommend Reuters journalist to just visit Broadway (NYC) and see how many stores are available for rent especially downtown and how many Seven Eleven stores are opened in whole Manhattan over the past few years. This shows us our dark gloomy picture of small business future.

Dec 07, 2013 3:05am EST  --  Report as abuse

A rise in the earnings?
Wow! More BS from the Government.

Did they ever consider it is Christmas help?
Yeah, it is.

Dec 07, 2013 6:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
Newrepub wrote:

Chris F; You are exactly correct in your assessment of the state of the current jobs market. But to say that Mr. Bush caused this mess is a mistake that others keep spouting, when in fact, the demorats were in control when this mess was caused. Mr. Bush was the president, but he did not promote what caused the melt down of our economy by forcing banks to sell homes to people that could not afford them at artificially inflated prices to boot, he did not run up tax rates to force businesses to relocate to other countries, he did not promote the very problems that we have today in the current jobs market, the democrats did all of this even while Mr. Bush was still president.

I was a democrat, and became embarrassed to be called a democrat after the real-estate market crash, and the massive jobs lost was simply the business market correcting itself because of artificial market inflation caused by the demorats, not Mr. Bush, and that’s an absolute fact that no one can dispute unless they love being a democrat. The Dems caused businesses to export jobs and import products for more profits not the republicans. I am now a proud Black-Informed-Business Owner-Republican that would say to Mr. Obama to take his ideas and policies back to Chicago where he came from, and then I would move because I currently live in Chicago. Ha Ha!!!

He did nothing in or for Chicago when he was here, he did nothing for the state of Illinois when he was a short term senator, and has not / will not / can not / do anything for this country as president because he is so far displaced as a real person because he has never had a real job.

He thinks that part time work is a job because, he has never even had a part time job, let alone a real full time job.

A real job will support a family.
A part time job will only support poverty.

That’s why a part time job actually stands for
Just-Obviously-Broke. (J-O-B) get it?

At least a real job would can make a broke person
Just-Over-Broke.

I’m a black American, and I approve this message!
Send that black faced white man back to Chicago where he learned nothing but
how to be a LOW DOWN-DIRTY-NO GOOD politician.
When you think dirty politics, you have to think Chicago, why?

Chicago and the State of Illinois is where the politicians go to jail
more than the local criminals do. Check the stats.

So for all of you UN-informed voters that voted for this man because he is black?
I hope you have no job or at least one of his so called part time jobs,
or one of the so called free government cell phones,
or one of the so called government link cards.

That was your political pay off for voting for Mr. Obama.
Enjoy your food and cell phones on us,
The working Americans that pay for all of the Government Sh-t you put down your toilets every day of your poverty stricken, government dole lives.

Dec 07, 2013 7:00am EST  --  Report as abuse
Newrepub wrote:

Chris F; You are exactly correct in your assessment of the state of the current jobs market. But to say that Mr. Bush caused this mess is a mistake that others keep spouting, when in fact, the demorats were in control when this mess was caused. Mr. Bush was the president, but he did not promote what caused the melt down of our economy by forcing banks to sell homes to people that could not afford them at artificially inflated prices to boot, he did not run up tax rates to force businesses to relocate to other countries, he did not promote the very problems that we have today in the current jobs market, the democrats did all of this even while Mr. Bush was still president.

I was a democrat, and became embarrassed to be called a democrat after the real-estate market crash, and the massive jobs lost was simply the business market correcting itself because of artificial market inflation caused by the demorats, not Mr. Bush, and that’s an absolute fact that no one can dispute unless they love being a democrat. The Dems caused businesses to export jobs and import products for more profits not the republicans. I am now a proud Black-Informed-Business Owner-Republican that would say to Mr. Obama to take his ideas and policies back to Chicago where he came from, and then I would move because I currently live in Chicago. Ha Ha!!!

He did nothing in or for Chicago when he was here, he did nothing for the state of Illinois when he was a short term senator, and has not / will not / can not / do anything for this country as president because he is so far displaced as a real person because he has never had a real job.

He thinks that part time work is a job because, he has never even had a part time job, let alone a real full time job.

A real job will support a family.
A part time job will only support poverty.

That’s why a part time job actually stands for
Just-Obviously-Broke. (J-O-B) get it?

At least a real job would can make a broke person
Just-Over-Broke.

I’m a black American, and I approve this message!
Send that black faced white man back to Chicago where he learned nothing but
how to be a LOW DOWN-DIRTY-NO GOOD politician.
When you think dirty politics, you have to think Chicago, why?

Chicago and the State of Illinois is where the politicians go to jail
more than the local criminals do. Check the stats.

So for all of you UN-informed voters that voted for this man because he is black?
I hope you have no job or at least one of his so called part time jobs,
or one of the so called free government cell phones,
or one of the so called government link cards.

That was your political pay off for voting for Mr. Obama.
Enjoy your food and cell phones on us,
The working Americans that pay for all of the Government Sh-t you put down your toilets every day of your poverty stricken, government dole lives.

Dec 07, 2013 7:00am EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

You can always tell a conservative from their whining. It always reflects their hatred toward Obama but never supports or proposes solutions. Well here’s an idea for those who are unhappy with the jobs numbers. Pass President Obama’s jobs bill. “Noooooo. We have to oppose everything he proposes. But, man, that lousy President hasn’t done ANYTHING to encourage job creation. We should impeach him!”

Dec 07, 2013 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

the ‘drop’ in unemployment in these figures reflects the decline in those eligible for unemployment insurance payments — e.g. as the statutory 26 week window closes, the ‘unemployment rate’ declines. the real rate of unemployment (those w/o work) is something else altogether. And the actual rate of _employment_ among adults of working age in america is ~ 65%. so, yes, the statistics are bs for the gullible.

Dec 07, 2013 2:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
UauS wrote:

More bad news… for the Republicans. :)

Dec 07, 2013 2:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@flashrooster “… where do you draw the line between WOT and national security? I’m just not seeing your point.”
By closing WOT we could have saved billions. Are you saying Obama simply moved the budget to NSA? If so he can’t take credit for stopping WOT: Instead of putting down those guns, he pointed them to US people.

Dec 07, 2013 3:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

From an earlier Rueter’s story:

“Emergency jobless benefits for 1.3 million long-term unemployed people are set to run out on January 1 unless the U.S. Congress agrees on an extension.”

If they let the extension expire the unemployment rate would drop by another .5%. Then about this same time in January the rate will be low enough to eliminate another 13 week extension and cut off another 1.2 million people from extended benefits and again reduce the rate by another .5%.

By March the unemployment rate could be 5.5% with only 39 weeks of benefits and the democrats can declare victory with 50% of the middle class wondering what the hell happened!

Dec 08, 2013 9:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
StigTW wrote:

IF there was ever a time then that time is now – the headline number has met the headline threshold to begin reduction it doesn’t mean QE has stopped but the sooner they start to dial it back then the lesser the impact of reduction can be. Waiting until March next year as some pundits would predict would mean they would either need to reduce rapidly or overextend their anticipated allowance which could have a much larger negative affect than desired.

Dec 08, 2013 10:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
Bighammerman wrote:

A new low is achieved everyday by Obama with his lies, twisted truths, non full disclosure, failed policies, distractions and just his inability to do anything right. If unemployment is on the downswing then why are food stamps, free cell phones and other freebees not in the decline?

Dec 08, 2013 11:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
Bighammerman wrote:

flashrooster,
Are you a relative of Carney? He cant see the forest from the trees either!

Dec 08, 2013 11:11am EST  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Bighammerman: There are several reasons food stamps aren’t in decline, two of them being that inflation continues to chip away at what a dollar can buy. The biggest reason, however, is that too many jobs being produced are low paying jobs. In a very real sense, the American tax payer is subsidizing a lot of big, international companies so that those companies can continue paying their employees low wages, keeping their profits up. The government makes up the difference.

Dec 08, 2013 11:38am EST  --  Report as abuse
ineeditbad wrote:

I’ll tell this to Several Friends who are in the Computer Industry that have been Unemployed for almost 3 years…I’m sure they will be happy to see more BS…

Dec 08, 2013 12:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.