Washington state judge excludes airport from SeaTac's $15 minimum wage

ruffsoft wrote:

“Alaska Airlines, which has its primary hub at the airport….. in 2005 terminated its roughly 500 unionized ramp workers there, some of whom were rehired as lower-paid nonunion contractors.

“Alaska Airlines believes in fair pay and benefits for all workers, and we respect every worker and the job they do,” said Alaska Airlines spokesman Paul McElroy”

Firing people and hiring them back, without collective bargaining rights and at lower pay is hardly fair or a benefit to all workers!

The most successful aireline for the past 50 yrs, with profits 50 yrs in a row in an industry full of bankruptcies, is Southwest, which is 90% unionized and has a high share of worker ownership.

Crushing workers rights is hardly a “benefit to all workers.”

Dec 27, 2013 11:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ruffsoft wrote:

Alaska Airlines, which has its primary hub at the airport and which in 2005 terminated its roughly 500 unionized ramp workers there, some of whom were rehired as lower-paid nonunion contractors.

Dec 27, 2013 11:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BoozerMcSmurf wrote:

Not one who voted to raise minimum wage to $15 has ever risked their money starting a business and has absolutely no comprehension what it takes to make payroll because not one of them has ever employed a soul. They’ve never ran a business, they’ve only ran their mouth, and they suck at that too.

Dec 27, 2013 11:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
loops808 wrote:

I wonder how much a burger, soda, rental car, hotel room, or a box of Kleenex will cost in this Seattle suburb. People don’t realize you cannot raise the minimum wage without passing the cost on to consumers. Also, many of these jobs are entry level jobs or transitional jobs. You have to earn a living wage. As people get older in their lifetimes they tend to earn more. As people get more vocational experience they tend to earn more. As people obtain more college experience they tend to earn more. A living wage is not a riddle. I know if I’m vacationing and looking to stretch my dollar I will not be visiting this Seattle suburb and pay $10 for a burger or $4.50 for a 12 oz. of bottled water. And unfortunately, many of these workers will see their hours shrink and small businesses move away.

Dec 27, 2013 11:32pm EST  --  Report as abuse
josobo wrote:

The workers at the airport were at issue in the vote to increase wages. The judge knew the history of airport authority firing union
employees. A majority of voters in the judges jurisdiction passed
the law. Her decision creates hostility in the community and undermines the democratic process. Her actions are an example of a waste of assets and efficiency. Let the airlines decide if they want to keep the workers.

Dec 27, 2013 11:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GinoT wrote:

So let’s get this straight….If I buy a hamburger anywhere BUT the airport I will pay about $3 and the workers supplying it to me will be making at least $15. However, if I go to the airport, I will pay $12 for that same burger and the workers supplying it to me will me making less? Sounds like a sound business plan to me. I think I would just close all of my neighborhood restaurants and open several at the airport. I could make a killing even with the higher rents.

Dec 28, 2013 12:18am EST  --  Report as abuse
mameloshn wrote:

So who can vote in this magical municipality that supercedes geography?

Dec 28, 2013 1:26am EST  --  Report as abuse
FRPSR wrote:

The irresistible urge felt by those who harbor strong feelings to express those ideas is often accompanied with emotional baggage rather than any actual support for those ideas . Conflation is a sickness when it is given the freedom to compare square pegs as an answer to round holes . The guarantee of free speech anywhere does not conflate magical powers along with strong emotional urges .
The destructive result of folks feeling that the sound of their voice giving the ruse of ludicrous ideas a magical framework is only for poetry , the movies , and hot heads . Those whose disciplines are centered in the wishing , and wishful thinking they are manipulated to believe in , by the powers that stand to gain , in the short term at least are the same as those whose beliefs are in an infinite expansion . This is a failure to examine and sensibly employ the limited , finite , resources in this world with an idea of transferring from the ones our chldren will not be able to employ from issues of pollutions , to the facts related to dwindling of those same resources .
This is how capitalism fails us , by overlooking the squalor of slums , the limits of human patience , not to mention the finite energy resources which have been reaching their peak for some little while .

Dec 28, 2013 6:18am EST  --  Report as abuse

just be happy u have a job u scrubs

Dec 28, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse

just be happy u have a job u scrubs

Dec 28, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse

just be happy u have a job u scrubs

Dec 28, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse

just be happy u have a job u scrubs

Dec 28, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse

just be happy u have a job u scrubs

Dec 28, 2013 1:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Mylena wrote:

There you go!!! Someone that knows how much to live in USA means ( buying foot, clothes rent paying health care and anything else. Good fpr you Judge!!!!!!I hope every State follow him, and rise the salaries!!!!!

Dec 28, 2013 4:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Robert_Boxer wrote:

I recently wrote an online article about this subject. You can read it here: http://wp.me/p3N9zD-4e

Dec 31, 2013 7:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse