Record freeze extends to eastern United States, at least eight dead

Comments (24)
susantdayton wrote:

Buffalo, NY malls have closed. Its not really the amount of snow that has fallen as much as the cold. It rained yesterday and was 40ish degrees early this morning. The temperature dropped to the single digits this afternoon and there is a frozen slick of ice underneath the snow on the roads and sidewalks. Plus, the wind is visually present with the snow blowing in a horizontal fashion.

Jan 06, 2014 9:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Rotorob wrote:

Well written collective piece.

Jan 06, 2014 9:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Levi-Tate wrote:

A few degrees below zero and the whole US seizes up. Come to Helsinki. Or visit Ottawa or Moscow for a lesson in how to manage in the cold. All it takes is some superior technology and a nation that does not cringe in the face of cold and crumple in the face of adversity.

Jan 07, 2014 12:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
hallsway wrote:

Cold = weather; hot = global warming. Got it? Got it!

Jan 07, 2014 7:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Global cooling just doesn’t pop on the tongue

Jan 07, 2014 8:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
NokiaFans wrote:

Welcome back Ice Age!

Jan 07, 2014 8:38am EST  --  Report as abuse

I see we have the ignorant deniers in here. I will use an analogy from the Daily Show last night, if 97 doctors told you you had a cancerous lump on your lung that needed treatment and 3 said ‘o that is nothing, just a shadow on the scan’, which would you listen too?

Jan 07, 2014 11:00am EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

This is all an inconvenient truth!

Jan 07, 2014 11:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
Zeken wrote:

“[I]gnorant deniers,” LOL.

It’s funny how the proudly “educated,” supposedly thinking for themselves crowd are the most likely to come off as lexically-impaired automatons.

Jan 07, 2014 11:44am EST  --  Report as abuse

@Zeken, I do not get your point, but anyhow back to my point which you did not address, what would you choose given that situation?

Jan 07, 2014 12:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PaulBradley wrote:

@USAPragmatist2

To my experience, usually, people go with the majority because that’s where most money is – not necessarily the truth. For example, “global warming” movement, mostly led by attorneys, became “politically correct” and generated a lot of profits for the people involved, e.g. Al Gore.

Jan 07, 2014 2:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USAPragmatist2
What does that have to do with scientific theory that has been found to flawed at best? Where is the conclusive evidence that man is causing the climate change?

Jan 07, 2014 2:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

Obama in office for 5+ years and the shelters are overwhelmed? Huh???

Jan 07, 2014 2:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse

@Crash866, I guess it depends on what you deem ‘conclusive’, but the latest from the UN was 95% chance that human activity is the main cause. Conclusive enough for me, heck the increase of CO2 levels in the atmosphere from the Mauna Loa site are good enough for me. There is nothing else that has happened in the last 50 years that could attribute to this rise in CO2 levels. So is there a small, less then 1 % chance IMO, that human activity is not the dominant cause of global change, of course there is, because science never deals in absolutes. And, also IMO, the minimum effects of climate change are enough to warrant control of fossil fuel burning, plus we get the positive side effect of making the one place we can live, the Earth, a much cleaner place.

You ask, ‘ where is the conclusive evidence that man is causing climate change?’, well it pretty easy ti find out, let me show you, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+is+the+conclusive+evidence+that+man+is+causing+climate+change%3F

On another note, Am I the only one that finds it frustrating that we have to have this same moronic debate EVERY time some story about the weather comes up? Why are so many on the right so insistent in not living in the same reality as the rest of us?

Jan 07, 2014 3:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse

@PaulBradley, so in your case your going to go with the 3 out of 100 doctors that told you it was just a ‘shadow in the scan’ just because the other 97/100 are making money? Is not it a capitalistic principal to make money however you can? I guess you have it in for the wealth creators then?

Jan 07, 2014 3:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
chekovmerlin wrote:

To my friends and neighbors in the East, get a pellet stove or fireplace(you can get on installed) and burn wood. Don’t depend on utilities for electric or gas.

Jan 07, 2014 4:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

crackers be crazy. and post to reuters.

Jan 07, 2014 5:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“Oil refiners were also hit, with Marathon Petroleum Corp and Exxon Mobil Corp both experiencing cold-related outages.”

Surprise. The cartels continue to look for any reason to jolt the market and spike the price. Even when they have to REALLY stretch it. So now, an industrial process which generates heat and is done year round in places like Alaska and Siberia and Canada and Norway… has to be shut off because….. it’s cold outside :)

Yeah okay. Tune in next week for the global oil supply crisis, resulting from 7 pirates in an inflatable raft near Somalia. Again.

Jan 07, 2014 5:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ashteigh wrote:

Completely insane, moronic, fabricated drivel.

EVERY YEAR temps in Montana, Nth Dakota, etc. reach -30 to -50 (without w.chill factor).
Millions expect and endure this – quite easily – EVERY YEAR.

see documented facts here: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest-temperatures.php

Jan 07, 2014 6:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ashteigh wrote:

Completely insane, moronic, fabricated drivel.

EVERY YEAR temps in Montana, Nth Dakota, etc. reach -30 to -50 (without w.chill factor).
Millions expect and endure this – quite easily – EVERY YEAR.

see documented facts at currentresults dot com, Weather-Extremes, US coldest-temperatures

Jan 07, 2014 6:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse

ALERT. Worse may be yet to come thanks to angry Sun.
SpaceWeather. com — X-FLARE: Giant sunspot AR1944 erupted on Jan 7th at approximately 1832 UT, producing a powerful X1-class solar flare.
First-look coronagraph images from the STEREO-Ahead spacecraft appear to show a coronal mass ejection (CME) emerging from the blast site. If so, the CME is almost certainly heading for Earth. Stay tuned for updates as more data arrive from the NASA-ESA Heliophysics Fleet
X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms.

Jan 07, 2014 7:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
chyron wrote:

@Levi-Tate

>A few degrees below zero and the whole US seizes up

Actually as this is F and not C degrees, must say that while temperature should be bearable for _prepared_ people, it’s nothing to joke about – in case of energy outages (afair USA cities are not into city-wide central heating systems using surplus heat from powerplants, did they?) things can go very sad in few days. Houses built for higher temperatures are also can be a problem – like it was for us almost a decade ago when suddenly there was -40C (-40F) while our homes are rated only down to -25..-30 C (-13..-22 F).

BTW currently it’s +2C (36F) in Saint-Petersburg, our Christmas wasn’t white but rainy :( (Orthodox ie julian calendar ie january 7th)

Jan 07, 2014 7:31pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Big2Tex wrote:

Lets see, most of the suffering and damage is in blue states. Sing along “”ask me if I care, Lord, ask me if I care; blue states seeing cold Lord, ask me if I care. More of God’s wrath coming as the seculars go slummin’, ask me if I care Lord, ask me if I care.”"

Jan 07, 2014 7:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PaulBradley wrote:

USAPragmatist2 I think your argument, especially in the case of the political movement in ref. to ‘global warming’ is obviously weak. And, IT IS POLITICAL rather than SCIENTIFIC argument.

How about this? – Your question about the doctors – the argument could go like this: “million flies CAN’T be wrong, therefore, eat s__t!

Jan 10, 2014 6:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.