John McAfee: glad Intel dropping name from security software

pbrwn wrote:

Well, he’s definitely a nutbag, likely a murderer, but I have to agree with him about the quality of that software these days.

Jan 07, 2014 2:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
datsneefa wrote:

I fyou want a slow computer use Mcafee, their spokesman is a liar

Jan 07, 2014 3:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
zarakon wrote:

The poor reputation of the McAfee software has nothing to do with John McAfee. It’s because the software itself is something that’s frequently found “infecting” the PCs of people who don’t know to actively avoid it.

They bundle free trial versions in tons of downloadable programs. You have to opt-out to not install it, so people frequently install it by accident by just clicking through the installer menus. Then they have this useless trial software just hanging around, slowing things down and adding bloat while constantly badgering the user to renew their subscription.

Jan 07, 2014 3:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
rfl111 wrote:

I have to use McAfee AV at work and it is constantly slowing down my computer whenever it is enabled. Possibly the worst software ever!

Jan 07, 2014 3:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jhdale wrote:

Not really surprising considering McAfee Security Scan is one of the most egregious examples of unwanted software installed surreptitiously during the installation of other software. Slamware, if you will. It’s unethical and deceptive. The surprising thing is that Intel is apparently willing to put their name on it.

Jan 07, 2014 4:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

McAfee updates company name to “Coke-Head.”

Jan 07, 2014 4:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I always thought any kind of publicity was good publicity in an advertisement-driven society.

Jan 07, 2014 4:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
pyradius wrote:

Intel has owned the software for a long time and sold it as McAfee, they didn’t “just” buy it. All the recent “developments” of said software have been performed by Intel, not McAfee the person.

Just google Error 2738 and you’ll find a shining example of McAfee taking over system DLL’s and preventing their modification. You need some experience to resolve this or you have to get a freakin’ McAfee software removal tool to remove this aggressive pos.

Jan 07, 2014 4:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JoeSchmoe123 wrote:

Norton is certainly no better. The choices are pretty much Avast antivirus or go with Linux.
As for John McAfee, I respect that he knows McAfee Antivirus better than anyone. Maye Intel has more than one meaning.

Jan 07, 2014 5:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
matthewslyman wrote:

@datsneefa: Seconded. I’ve seen that on almost every computer where McAfee was installed:
* SLOW (slower than molasses for some things), especially after you’ve been using it for months, changing application installations in the mean-time.
* Difficult to fully remove (sometimes, even after the uninstallation utility completed, it was still impossible to get other antivirus programs working without reinstalling the operating system first — and on other occasions, installing another antivirus program ground the computer down to such a halt that I had to call it a day and wipe the hard drive).

Jan 07, 2014 5:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Just take a look at that face. Just look at it. And Forget the NSA. If you’ve trusted your software, data or hardware to ANYTHING McAfee…. you’ve been had. The coke man is selling your data to a cartel somewhere. That’s why all the slamware. :)

Jan 07, 2014 5:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
matthewslyman wrote:

@AlkalineState: Keep them coming… I laughed when I read that!

Jan 07, 2014 5:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
rvm3 wrote:

You have to download Revo Uninstaller to get rid of the garbage.

Jan 07, 2014 5:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“Liz Cheney Re-Enters Senate Race. Hires John McAfee as manager.”

Jan 07, 2014 6:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
adamrussell wrote:

I got the free mcafee installed on this computer and when I had trouble I could not find a number for technical support! So I googled it and only found scamming 3rd parties that wanted to charge me $100s of dollars. I went back to eset. It costs money but it has always worked.

Jan 07, 2014 6:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I guess 7 billion is worth having your name synonymous with the worst security software in the world . I mean no doubt he was rich even before the sale so was it really worth it …

Jan 07, 2014 9:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Camres wrote:

Doesn’t care what people think of him but is sorry the software has his name. Uh huh.

Jan 07, 2014 9:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ReverendJim wrote:

Anyone that has used a McAfee product in the last ten years realizes That John McAfee is telling the truth and Intel just bought a product that anyone smart enough to need it, already knows it is terrible and will never buy it. This is a real bad move for Intel.

Jan 08, 2014 1:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

The attacks on the quality of the software aren’t “ludicrous”. I won’t have it on my computer – - it screws everything up. It’s junk.

Jan 08, 2014 6:47am EST  --  Report as abuse