Retail sales, inventory data suggest strong fourth-quarter growth

Bakhtin wrote:

More proof that those nasty liberal economic policies work? This will annoy the righties…

Jan 14, 2014 9:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
Ed61 wrote:

Let me quote Inigo Montoya, “I don’t think it means what you think it means.” My own spending over the holidays reflected an emotion of “I know I can spend this year, but I don’t know if I will be able to purchase the same value of items again in the future.” So, perhaps the increase in spending means the consumer is more confident, but you should not be so sure of that position because it could be quite the opposite – as in my case.

Jan 14, 2014 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
henry_waxman wrote:

If I had the time, I’d like to tabulate all the times that Reuters have reported that “…suggesting the economy gathered steam at the end of … and was poised for stronger growth in …”

Jan 14, 2014 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

“Though job growth stumbled in December, that was largely seen…” – No, it was largely used as an excuse, but reasonable people see through that bit of BS.

Jan 14, 2014 12:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

The increase suggested…, if we’re right…, It now appears…, likely contributed…” – Where do I get a job like this? I am not impressed or swayed into thinking these people know anything more than I do. I have my opinion and it is based on what I actually observe going on around me, not what a bunch of bean counters (yes I have a degree in accounting)sitting in a closed up roomthink is happening.

Jan 14, 2014 12:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

Aaaah… the standard right-wing response to good economic news: “The numbers are wrong! It’s not true!”

Jan 14, 2014 1:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

When spending goes up quicker than income, we are just piling up on debt. Are we proud of eating tomorrow’s lunch again?

Jan 14, 2014 2:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PopUp wrote:

Also a big surge in hackers stealing private information through stores. When will people learn?

Jan 14, 2014 2:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
izrahim wrote:

If the growth is so strong then why are the major stores laying off so many people across the country.

Jan 14, 2014 4:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse