U.S. chides UNESCO for putting Jewish exhibit on hold

Comments (21)
Serg193 wrote:

Last time I checked, the US hadn’t paid its bill to UNESCO and it so happened that it lost its vote.

Jan 17, 2014 8:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tergen wrote:

the Arab Group — expressing their concern that “the planned exhibition could impact negatively on the peace process and current negotiations underway in the Middle East.”

You can bet that the Truth could completely undermine the false information and propaganda that has been coming from the Arab and Persian Muslims.

Six million Jews on a small piece of land were no threat to the Middle-East until the KKK…excuse me, the Muslims decided killing all the Jews was better than peaceful co-existence.

That plan failed and so now the only hope is misinformation and the rewriting of history.

Jan 17, 2014 8:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
72mgb wrote:

Once again the retrograde barbarians show the world how backwards they are. Can’t deal with the truth…Jews have been in Israel for 3500 years. And the UN, through UNESCO, the most anti-Semitic org in the failed UN, proves that it is time to close the doors of this useless totally arab influenced waste of time and money. It should go just like the League of Nations into the dustbin of history.

Jan 17, 2014 8:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

Modern Israel is a country that lies about history, and will happily distort or omit aspects that do fit their narrative. Any “exhibition” from modern Israel would be an example of this, and therefore should not be backed by UNESCO which represents, or is supposed to represent the United Nations… all of them.

Jan 18, 2014 6:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

The UN should not be in the business of aiding Israeli propaganda.

Jan 18, 2014 9:14am EST  --  Report as abuse

Again the Arab States has shown its inability to look at reality and wants to world to forget history..Their up-surd requests are beyond any ones cognitive thinking, They have none. With their obsession for antisemetic practices they fail to realize that the Arab community has yet to come even close to the Jewish peoples ability to help the world.. Literally every time they have any voice in any of that they continue to display their stupidity.. The world knows.

Jan 18, 2014 10:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse
garybkatz wrote:

Tiu, what lie is that? That Jews were there before Arabs? That Jews were there before the Muslim religion even existed? That the al Aqsa Mosque was built OVER the site where the Jewish Holy Temple stood, before it was destroyed by the Romans (You don’t build over a site if you were there first)? That Israel was attacked by 5 Arab armies the day if declared independence? That the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem consorted with Hitler during WWII? If the above is what you consider lies, I hate to see what you consider the truth.

Jan 18, 2014 11:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Roy1053 wrote:

To Bakhtin–Agree with you totally! UNESCO should only be in the business of aiding Arab and Palestinian propoganda. Too many roles are too confusing.

And to Tiu–You too are correct. Why just last week, Israel had the audacity to claim that its Bible mentioned Jerusalem. Only the Koran mentions Jerusalem! (What’s that you say? I got it backwards. Well, I am still sure Tiu is correct. Tiu . . . save me here. Give some good examples.)

Jan 18, 2014 11:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Cockney wrote:

This makes no sense at all.

On Friday the State Department withdrew the US as a sponsor of the exhibition, using language almost identical to that of the Arab League! Here is the US position:

“At this sensitive juncture in the ongoing Middle East peace process, and after thoughtful consideration with review at the highest levels, we have made the decision that the United States will not be able to co-sponsor the current exhibit during its display at UNESCO headquarters,”

Is this an about face or what?

Jan 19, 2014 1:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
GuyRR wrote:

Jerusalem was founded by King David, not likely to be a Muslim 1000 years before Mohamed was born. It had been the capital of only one country in 3000 years, Judea or Israel. Jerusalem has NEVER been the capital of ANY Muslim or Arab country. No country named Palestine has ever existed, unless a British territory is now considered a country?
These are facts that even the UN or UNESCO or any other entity cannot change.

Jan 19, 2014 1:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

Hey Roy1053, where do you start? You obviously missed this one… here Netinyahoo lays out his perversion of history – and completely misses out the Romans, because they don’t fit the narrative.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/full-text-netanyahus-2013-speech-to-the-un-general-assembly/

Jan 19, 2014 4:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
Themozz wrote:

It is precisely because of comments by some of the earlier people that Israel must have the right to put its case forward in the exhibition without delay. People who talk about lies without ever listening to the other side are the ones who are not interested in the truth. The UN has been a propaganda machine for the Arab world for far too long. I am not asking for equal time because the UN is a prejudiced body with far too many sectarian interests to ever be honest about history. Therefore what i am asking for is a reasonable right to rely and those attacking the exhibit are the true enemies of the truth.

Jan 19, 2014 5:06am EST  --  Report as abuse
Roy1053 wrote:

Tiu, Don’t be ridiculous. Israel’s history (and the UNESCO exhibit that is being supressed) is full of references to the Romans. Nothing has ever been hidden. Bibi’s speech to the UN was not a history lesson. It was a speech. It referenced the relevant points to be made, and the Roman conquest of that area of the world was not relevant to his topic. (His speech didn’t include my visit to Israel in 2002, either, but that doesn’t mean his speech wasn’t accurate.) Give me a real example, not a silly one like this.

True, the omission of Romans in the speech did not ‘fit the narrative,’ but that’s only because it had nothing to do with the narrative. (Boy, I wonder how long your speeches must be if they have to include every irrelevant fact to avoid being accused of the thing you accuse Bibi of.

By the way, Netanyahu’s speech does not mention World War II or the Holocaust. Are saying that in this one speech, Netanyahu is denying the Roman influence AND suggesting that the Holocaust did not happen? Interesting conclusion jumping.

Jan 19, 2014 7:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
Themozz wrote:

I AM UNSURE WHY MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS WERE REFUSED PUBLICATION. It is precisely because of comments by some of the earlier people that Israel must have the right to put its case forward in the exhibition without delay. People who talk about lies without ever listening to the other side are the ones who are not interested in the truth. The UN has been a propaganda machine for the Arab world for far too long. I am not asking for equal time because the UN is a prejudiced body with far too many conflicting national interests to be honest about history. I am asking for a reasonable right to give Israel’s side of the story Those attacking the exhibit are the real enemies of the truth.

Jan 19, 2014 8:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

Roy1053, the omissions of the Romans is a major distortion. His claim to historical ownership of Israel by the Jews does not stand up to scrutiny… unless you delete the “minor details” that get in the way.
The rest of his speech is similarly based on beliefs which he exposouses himself and then claims to be the truth… once again ignoring facts and insterting hysterical fantasy which he uses to terrorize the gullible citizens of not only Israel, but the US too.
Many of the “terrorist” exploits he mentions in his speech probably eminate from surprising places too.

Jan 19, 2014 8:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

By the way roy, I agree the speech is a silly one. Unfortunately a lot of people kow-tow to his directions.

Jan 19, 2014 8:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
Roy1053 wrote:

Tiu, (1) Until you understand the concept of a ‘biblical claim’ of the Jews to the land, there is little value in continuing this conversation. The Romans are no more relevant to your ‘point’ than are the Greeks, the Babylonians, the Assyrians, the Crusaders, or any other people who invaded this section of the world since the time of Abraham. But for some reason you insist that to make his point, Mr. Netanyahu had to address each one of those groups. That is more than ridiculous, but silly still fits the bill. (2) If you had the slightest grasp of the construct of English, you would know that ‘silly’ in my earlier writing referred to your choice of example, not the content of the example itself. If you had chosen the Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address or JFK’s inaugural speech, or any other the ‘great speeches,’ it still would still have been ‘silly’ and irrelevant to the point you are so desparately (but unsuccessfully) trying to make.

Jan 19, 2014 1:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

Roy1053

What Israel history? Israel existed for a few hundred years at the most until 750BCE, and from there until 1947 Israel did not exist. A country that didn’t exist cannot have a history.

Jan 19, 2014 1:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Roy1053 wrote:

Wow, Bakhtin, Thanks. That means the Israelis have a stronger claim to the land that anyone had given them credit. There never was a Palestine. Check out the ‘history’ of the PLO. There has been an Israel since 1947 (well before the PLO amd the PA) when the UN declared it as a nation. I guess the case is closed. So simple! (By the way, although the country was invaded many time since 750 BCE, there has been a documented Jewish presence in the lands now known as Israel from 750 BCE to the present.) (Actually, I don’t recall using the words “Israel history” in my letters. But the Jewish connection with the land is undeniable . . . except by you and Tiu, of course.)

Following your logic, Iran (establish 1906 +/-), Jordan (1946), Iraq (1920) . . . all ‘modern’ countries with ancient roots of its people to the land. All illegitimate?

No, their ancient roots and the continuous relationship of the people with the land count for something.

Jan 19, 2014 2:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

Bakhtin, in Netinyahoos speech to the UN he explains how Cyrus, the Persian king gave permission to return to Israel and re-build the temple in the 6th century BC. Which when you consider how carefully crafted political speeches are now days, can only be what he intended to say. It would seem it is justification for his claim of ownership, which he is trying to extend back over four thousand years.
Which is complete garbage. Poor old Roy1053 won’t listen to you unless you agree with his doctrine. No questions asked. You must believe it because he says its so.

Jan 19, 2014 3:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

Roy1053 wrote:
“There never was a Palestine.”

Yet, astoundingly, maps going back to the Roman era consistently have Palestine on them, bit not Israel. Then the Brits had a Mandate for Palestine, and declared a homeland for Jews… in Palestine.

Either they are all wrong, or you are. Which is it?

Roy1053 wrote:
“there has been a documented Jewish presence in the lands now known as Israel from 750 BCE to the present.”

So what? Your argument here amounts to “Jews can claim land as their own by simply being present on it”. Obviously nonsense, but even if we accept that as a premise, the logic doesn’t stand up. This mystical ‘Jewish presence’ is not a nationality, and as they have lived there since 759BCE that makes a pretty good case for not needing a homeland. Other religions get along just fine without one.

Jan 19, 2014 11:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.