Ex-Wisconsin medical examiner pleads guilty; took body parts to train dog

Mylena wrote:

Unfortunatelly she forgot the remains rights. it does not matter if were the victim or the death people or their relatives. We do not play around with people remians: this is USA lady!!!!!!

Jan 17, 2014 8:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Shuny wrote:

If you think this doesn’t happen in every jurisdiction, I have a bridge to sell you. When an autopsy is done many body parts are stolen and never returned to the body. Some small samples may be needed for lab work but whole organs are taken. I’m sure many of these are taken by personal. The remains have no rights. The body belongs to the next of kin. I’m sure most people wouldn’t be happy to know body parts are stolen. BTW- In many jurisdictions you can retrieve body parts taken out during surgery, let’s say, if you were gross enough to want your gall bladder.

Jan 17, 2014 10:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse

and the think, this isnt the worst we’ve heard about or will hear about in the future.

Jan 18, 2014 4:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
cohortseven wrote:

It seems to me that she did no real harm. I believe we have expanded the concept individual rights too far. I’m not a medical examiner but I am in the medical field. Not so many years ago, whenever someone would die in a teaching hospital (or maybe in any hospital), it was common to use the body for a while to practice intubation and, occasionally, other procedures. No permission was asked. Did that hurt anything? I don’t think so but I am sure that if someone were caught doing it now he would be in trouble. Probably when this lady was being trained as a medical examiner it was relatively common to take a small amount of body parts for such purposes. Of course, most intelligent professionals keep up on changing laws and customs and she should have known that this was unacceptable nowadays. There are probably quite a number of medical examiners who still do this. But they don’t tell anybody about it. If she was otherwise a competent medical examiner, I hope that she is able to practice her profession again in the future.

Jan 18, 2014 10:14am EST  --  Report as abuse
godog1 wrote:

Using a small piece of cadaver is standard practice for training Search and rescue dogs. Most dogs get spooked by the smell. Those that react non-nonchalantly to the smell are good candidates. Next time you see a team of dogs combing a disaster area think to yourself how did those teams get so efficient at finding people and differentiating between the live and passed victims? I don’t know where the training pieces come from… But I am sympathetic to Traci as she may not have realized she as doing anything wrong and was working towards a good societal goal.

Jan 20, 2014 2:18pm EST  --  Report as abuse
NoGeniusBut wrote:

Hear, hear; godog1! I was hoping someone else would look at this article pragmatically; instead of getting their panties in a bunch. I suppose it is true that “no good deed goes unturned”. Here we have someone training a cadaver dog, which would be used for good and we are condemning this women (probably more harshly than should be; given our legal system). I wonder, were these cadavers organ donors?

Jan 22, 2014 10:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

REALLY! And this is a Medical Doctor, with university degrees and everything? Amazing.

Based on the judgement she displayed in this issue, Let’s just be grateful she wasn’t working on live patients!

Jan 22, 2014 4:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse