Florida congressman Radel resigns after cocaine charge

Comments (26)
vhpeddler wrote:

Perhaps the entire Congress should pass a urine test , both old and incoming members, business does it, treat Congress the same.

Jan 27, 2014 8:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
flypiper wrote:

i wonder if he started off on marijuana….remember president obama said pot was’nt that bad…..i think they all start on pot and work their way up to be politicians and use cocaine

Jan 27, 2014 8:53am EST  --  Report as abuse
Trichiurus wrote:

Let’s decriminalize this too. After all, such strict drug laws are so inconvenient to the public and law enforcement.

Jan 27, 2014 9:26am EST  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

@vhpeddler – I absolutely agree! As a staunch conservative, I am glad to see this guy resign, though I think there should be a method to fire these criminals, no matter party affiliation, so that they lose all the perks of having “served” the nation. Piss test for all, anyone busted should immediately forfeit all benefits and be removed and serve time. They should be held to a higher standard, they are supposed to be the leaders.

Jan 27, 2014 9:38am EST  --  Report as abuse
TomMariner wrote:

Too bad it wasn’t marijuana — the guy would now be talked about as a possible 2016 candidate.

Oh forgot — its selective — its like saying Scotch whiskey is evil, but rum is OK.

Don’t take much to be a hero or a goat nowadays. Accomplishments?Talents? Experience? — Naw, can the guy give a great attack speech.

Jan 27, 2014 9:46am EST  --  Report as abuse

Its funny how you need to pass a drug test to work at Wal-Mart or McDonalds only to make about $8 hr but you don’t need a drug test to work at capitol hill and help create the laws of this country. Obama please make mandatory drug test for all in any government job.

Jan 27, 2014 9:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Ahhh, the party of family values…

BOTH are rotten to the core.

We need publicly-funded elections NOW!

Jan 27, 2014 10:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
COindependent wrote:

@go2 At least he is resigning and the only person he hurt was himself. Want to talk about Charlie Rangel, who manipulated the system for years, and then they honored his service? Or how about the Kennedy’s–and the damage Ted Kennedy (and the death of a young women he was directly responsible for) did for 40 year.

The corruption inside the Beltway is not limited to any one party. Remember the housing deal the Obama’s got with Resko (a convicted felon) in the background.

Take off the rose-colored glasses. The corruption, theft and bribes are pervasive….

Jan 27, 2014 10:27am EST  --  Report as abuse
biff777 wrote:

Why not tell the whole story…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbGaWSXfbWk#t=74?

Jan 27, 2014 11:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
Tiu wrote:

Never, never buy your gear from a government agent, I know it’s hard not to, but don’t do it… or this happens.

Jan 27, 2014 11:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
Big2Tex wrote:

Political persecution as practiced by all the oppressive regimes in the present and throughout history. The fear of the Tea Party is what makes them so relevant.

Jan 27, 2014 11:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
NewEnglandBob wrote:

“… including my wife and my 2-year-old…” I guess he didn’t think about them when he used cocaine.

Jan 27, 2014 12:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
HortonPDX wrote:

He doesn’t know what he’s going to do after he leaves congress? If he was a black man he could look forward to 10 years in the pen.

Jan 27, 2014 12:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bugzy wrote:

Crack addict politicians………why not legalize it you hypocrites!

Jan 27, 2014 1:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Big2Tex wrote:
“Political persecution as practiced by all the oppressive regimes in the present and throughout history. The fear of the Tea Party is what makes them so relevant.”

Yes, poor Trey Radel, persecuted and oppressed because people fear his love of freedom.

Nothing at all do with the fact that he’s elected representative who bought a crapload of cocaine from a federal agent…

It’s always interesting to find out what IS and ISN’T acceptable in the eyes of a teabagger such as yourself. Tell me, what if he had bought an ounce of marijuana? Would that get pass from you as well? Or is it just the “upper class” drugs that are okay?

And also, you want to drug test welfare recipients to make sure they aren’t on drugs before receiving taxpayer money, but it’s totally fine for a congressman in the House of Representatives (who’s salary comes from taxpayer money) to be on drugs?

Does that about sum up your position? I’m just trying to understand your point of view here.

Jan 27, 2014 1:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Dr_Steve wrote:

Does he get to keep his pension?

Jan 27, 2014 2:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

go2goal
“Teddy Boy Cruz. Cruz was a crack head at Harvard”

Can you prove Cruz smoked crack at Harvard? Please do so…I mean you said he did so you must have evidence. Please present it….

Jan 27, 2014 2:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

USofRationality
Hey if you had your progressive liberal agenda the “drugs” you speak of wouldn’t be illegal so he wouldn’t be going to jail and might not be losing he job as a congressman…how about them apples…

Jan 27, 2014 3:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

@crash: I’d be fine with him keeping his job, and drugs being de-criminalized. ‘Them apples’ ain’t the end of the world because in the end…. who the hell cares.

Jan 27, 2014 3:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Crash866 wrote:
“Can you prove Cruz smoked crack at Harvard? Please do so…I mean you said he did so you must have evidence. Please present it….”

Ted Cruz has never come to my house and personally presented me evidence that he WASN’T a crack head.

Can you prove Obama was born in Kenya? Because apparently the only proof needed for that is for some wacko to say it on the internet.

Crash866 wrote:
“Hey if you had your progressive liberal agenda the “drugs” you speak of wouldn’t be illegal so he wouldn’t be going to jail and might not be losing he job as a congressman…how about them apples…”

“Them apples” are being compared to oranges. Progressives support marijuana legalization, but marijuana is not cocaine. I don’t know anyone advocating for the legalization of cocaine… maybe some advocate decriminalization, but that’s a far cry different from legalization. (Look it up if you don’t know the difference)

What about this though… if your conservative claims of “small government, no intrusion into personal lives” were even remotely authentic, you’d support marijuana legalization because the government shouldn’t be poking its nose into people’s personal lives. How about THEM apples?

Jan 27, 2014 4:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

If Ted Cruz has not smoked crack, then why won’t he just produce the authentic certificate which proves he is NOT a crack smoker. and not some Canadian certificate. Canadian politicians are notorious crack heads. They’ll cover for anybody. I’m talking about the real thing. What is Ted Cruz hiding when he refuses to submit an authentic McGruff-the-Crime-Dog drug-free pledge paw print. The people demand it!

Jan 27, 2014 6:24pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

Random drug screens for all elected officials in Florida until they lift mandatory drug screens for Welfare recipients. Governor on down…

Jan 27, 2014 6:29pm EST  --  Report as abuse
johnathan58 wrote:

Funny, Reuters- in the article about Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin’s indictment, the word “Democrat” never appears. But when it is a Republican being charged, such as with Trey Radel, “Republican” is the VERY FIRST WORD of the article.

Jan 27, 2014 6:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

Representatives for Radel could not immediately be reached for comment.

gee, I wonder why?

Jan 27, 2014 6:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

The House Committee on Ethics in December said it would launch an investigation into whether Radel violated congressional rules or broke any other laws related to his responsibilities as a member of Congress.’

so, what is the GOP doing about this? My guess is NOTHING!

Jan 27, 2014 6:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

The House Committee on Ethics in December said it would launch an investigation into whether Radel violated congressional rules or broke any other laws related to his responsibilities as a member of Congress.’

so, what is the GOP doing about this? My guess is NOTHING!

Jan 27, 2014 6:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.