Joint N.J. legislative committee probing Christie's 'Bridgegate'

Comments (10)
XianSheng wrote:

Okay, so we find no evidence that Christie was directly involved in ordering the thing. But what about his “non-involvement”? He surely profited from it and he surely really do much to stop it from happening. But you say “He didn’t know about it”. Really? A major traffic jam going on for days on end and the chief guy didn’t know about it? Really? Kinda defies logic.

Jan 27, 2014 4:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
XianSheng wrote:

Okay, so we find no evidence that Christie was directly involved in ordering the thing. But what about his “non-involvement”? He surely profited from it and he surely didn’t do much to stop it from happening. Oh, but you say “He didn’t know about it”. Really? A major traffic jam going on for days on end and the chief guy doesn’t know about it? Really? Kinda defies logic.

Jan 27, 2014 4:24pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kevinbuckley7 wrote:

XianSheng wrote:
“…Oh, but you say “He didn’t know about it”. Really? A major traffic jam going on for days on end and the chief guy doesn’t know about it? Really? Kinda defies logic.”

Really?? There are major traffic jams there everyday. You think the governor has all this free time on his hands to be worried about traffic jams while he was dealing with the major fire down in seaside post Sandy? That comment really defies logic…

Jan 27, 2014 5:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Randy549 wrote:

XianSheng wrote: “He surely profited from it”

How, exactly, did he profit from it? How would having a traffic jam occurring on a bridge on the border of his state be positive for him in any way?

Really?

Jan 27, 2014 5:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeBMac wrote:

Even IF Christie did not know about or directly authorize it (which is a VERY big “IF”), he set the stage for it. He hired and promoted the people who did…

Obviously, the culture in his administration is bankrupt of decency, ethical behavior and morals. They apparently have the same kind of morals that the Bush administration had when they outed Valerie Plame as a CIA agent after her husband disagreed with them.

But, more than likely, he said something like: “Take care of this little problem for me…” Otherwise, why would his underlings risk jail time? What would it have accomplished for them?

Jan 27, 2014 5:28pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JamesChirico wrote:

Balboni, Kelly and Wildstein are the small players, Samson the NJ Port Auth. head is the big Kahuna. His law firm Wolff & Samson does business across the state including the Hoboken developer. In Hoboken a developer needed a zoning change that did not happen. Their mayor said the city was threatened with withheld storm help if no help in changing the zoning. Midway through an application for Community Develop funds (storm help) the application process changed shutting out Hoboken. Funds are controlled by the state. With 9 counties hit hard, Hoboken the city with the most severely damaged buildings of any city in the 9 counties, one would expect a 10% disbursement from relief funding totaling 1.8 billion. The got 1.8% with much of it still not disbursed by the state, less than $250,000. Christie should make amends instead of talking points about innocence. Samson should be canned since he was the one benefiting from withheld funding.

Jan 27, 2014 6:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

Yeah, this thing is really, really bad. Closing lanes on a bridge is just simply terrible. This horrible, terrible thing happens to me all the time. I was on I-95 a few weeks back and I got stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. Way I figure it it, Obama might not have closed those lanes himself but he is at fault and I think he should be investigated.

Jan 27, 2014 6:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
UScitizentoo wrote:

@Randy549
Christie profits by threatening other politicians to do his bidding, in this case a development for his buddies who give him money. You can’t be that naive that you can’t draw the next line to the next dot, right?

Jan 27, 2014 10:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
XianSheng wrote:

@Randy549: Are you conveniently forgetting why they closed the lanes? Just to remind you, they did it as payback for not supporting Christie. Christie thus profited from this by sending a message not to oppose him. Or, alternatively, he simply profited from it from the satisfaction of revenge on an opponent. Either way, he profited from it. Profit doesn’t just have to be in dollars and cents. Profit can be in any form of benefit, even just satisfaction.

Jan 27, 2014 10:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
uc8tcme wrote:

“…which angered commuters and delayed school buses and ambulances.”

So if someone died waiting to a delayed ambulance, who should be responsible for that? This should be investigated as well.

Jan 28, 2014 4:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.