Kerry downplays key U.S. senator's opposition on trade talks

Daleville wrote:

Yes it will spur job growth – overseas! Just like NAFTA spurred job growth in Mexico.

We don’t need any more trade pacts, in fact we should revoke NAFTA immediately.

I am amazed, but Harry Reid is actually right, for once.

Feb 01, 2014 8:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bighammerman wrote:

I think the Big Three here (Reid, Kerry and Obama) need to resign now. Can’t say I am discriminating on this one!

Feb 01, 2014 8:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Bighammerman wrote:

Feb 01, 2014 8:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Laster wrote:

Once this trade deal gets signed THERE IS NO GETTING OUT OF IT. We (America) are LOCKED IN to the terms of the deal, and any laws to the contrary are seconded to our agreeing to these terms.

Treaties are, by law, ratified and entered into by congress.
This ISN’T the case here. Congress isn’t party to these SECRET NEGOTIATIONS and are being end-runned by this Fast Tracking option.

There’s SOMETHING VERY WRONG with this Trans Pacific Partnership
(TPP) treaty and it’s Trans Atlantic copy.

Once again my government is embroiled in some UNSCRUPULOUS POLICY and treating us to the usual bad theater.

Feb 01, 2014 9:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MaggieMP wrote:

I’ve not heard a single argument in favor of fast track outside of the WH, and apparently ALEC – a case of strange bedfellows!

Corporate designed trade agreements have created no end of trouble for smaller corporations and businesses, and workers.

Even without concern for the trade deals, ‘fast track’ all by itself is an outrageously anti-democratic “legislative” scheme. This is one of those situations in which our elected Washington reps – both in Senate and House – need to be flooded with emails, phone calls, petitions. (The “anti-fast track” ‘flooding’ is well underway).

Congress must *not* cede its constitutionally assigned duty to be in control of design of trade agreements. And we have every right to expect open, transparent, examination of what we’re getting into.

Feb 01, 2014 9:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MaggieMP wrote:

@Daleville: NAFTA also wiped out smaller producer corn production in Mexico, decimating economies of whole communities, in turn becoming one of the highest causes of migration north to the US. (Run a search for ‘ConAgra NAFTA Mexico’.)

Feb 01, 2014 9:53pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Daleville wrote:

MaggieMP:

All you have to do is mention ConAgra and I already know that it is bad.

Just another giant corporation who doesn’t care about anything but money.

Feb 01, 2014 11:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
MaggieMP wrote:

Daleville:

ConAgra’s on my boycott list, which has grown to the point that shopping is a stripped down and quick activity! Not sure why Bighammerman included Reid on this one – I even tried to find a way to contact Reid to thank him and insist he stick to his principles in this case. Reid’s not my Senator, I thought maybe his role as Speaker would make him more accessible. (No luck at least yet in trying to quickly contact him, but have sent numerous notes, petitions, and a ph. call or two to my own legislators.)

Feb 02, 2014 1:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
Cyberblunt wrote:

Crazy but I”m with Dirty Harry on this one.

Feb 02, 2014 5:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
Cyberblunt wrote:

Crazy but I”m with Dirty Harry on this one.

Feb 02, 2014 5:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
Cyberblunt wrote:

Crazy but I”m with Dirty Harry on this one.

Feb 02, 2014 5:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
unionwv wrote:

Reuters trumpets Republican efforts to form a solid front for the mid-term elections as a “papering over” of internal divisions.

No such headline in this case though: Democrats paper over divisions on “free” trade agreement.

Feb 02, 2014 10:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
SaveRMiddle wrote:

A few words from puppet Kerry to shield Obama as he cries fake tears and promotes an irreversible, systematically growing inequality gap. As we sleep, the smooth talker kills The American Dream as he quietly works on accelerating the permanent destruction of even more living wage jobs….the Romney Effect many shunned.

Obama takes us The Scenic Route as his actions contradict his eloquent words.

Feb 02, 2014 11:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
Kahnie wrote:

Obama is Bubba Clinton Lite. We are being sold down the river for big multi-national business. I am SO disappointed (understatement) with B.O. He is the same kind of sell-out to Wall Street and big business that Bubba Clinton was. And the PACs are backing Billary? What choices we have. None!

Feb 02, 2014 12:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Kahnie wrote:

If it were “free trade,” maybe ok, but the jobs are going to Asia and the playing field is NOT level. China and India are mercantile countries like Britain was in the 1700s. This is unfair, this is anti-labor, this is anti-America worker, pro-business and pro Asia.

Feb 02, 2014 12:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Burns0011 wrote:

There are MANY bad things in this ‘free trade’ deal, including yet another version of SOPA/PIPA. To ‘fast track’ this would be a travesty.

Feb 02, 2014 1:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse