Strong China January trade data sparks cheers, doubts

Comments (12)
FinalEra wrote:

Leave it to the western media (including Reuters) to take any positive news about China and somehow add a negative taste to it! Just love this double standards. China will soon become THE global power and you guys need to get a grip on that.

Feb 12, 2014 1:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
FinalEra wrote:

Leave it to the western media (including Reuters) to take any positive news about China and somehow add a negative taste to it! Just love this double standards. China will soon become THE global power and you guys need to get a grip on that.

Feb 12, 2014 1:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
Zymbat wrote:

@FinalEra,

The only flaw with your argument is that there have been many articles on China written at Reuters that I have read where they portray China in a good light and even stated that China is on a trajectory to overtake USA in GDP.

With that said, you may want to re-read the article, and take it for what it says, have you ever thought that maybe some divisions within the Chinese government may cook their books from time to time. Its not a surprise that these things can happen, don’t blame ‘western media’ for exposing cover-ups. They expose the US government from time to time as well.

Feb 12, 2014 2:11am EST  --  Report as abuse

They have our missing propane.

Feb 12, 2014 7:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
rpt7777 wrote:

“We find this strong level of export growth puzzling,” said Zhang Zhiwei, an economist at Nomura. “It is unclear to what extent the strong export data reflects the true strength in the economy.”
When you are a communist government with control over saying what the numbers are without any audits or transparency then you can only assume that they bend the rules and make up what ever numbers are necessary to keep the air in the balloon. There are so many numbers that are completely unverifiable or not reported at all that they all become meaningless.

Feb 12, 2014 7:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
rpt7777 wrote:

“We find this strong level of export growth puzzling,” said Zhang Zhiwei, an economist at Nomura. “It is unclear to what extent the strong export data reflects the true strength in the economy.”
When you are a communist government with control over saying what the numbers are without any audits or transparency then you can only assume that they bend the rules and make up what ever numbers are necessary to keep the air in the balloon. There are so many numbers that are completely unverifiable or not reported at all that they all become meaningless.

Feb 12, 2014 7:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
Jocylen wrote:

JEFFREY EDWARDS L, EVP, Fin & Bus. Dev., CFO of Allergan, Inc. Co Sells $5,619,458 Worth of $AGN

http://www.insidertradingwire.com/jeffrey-edwards-l-evp-fin-bus-dev-cfo-of-allergan-inc-co-sells-5619458-worth-of-agn/

Feb 12, 2014 9:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
nose2066 wrote:

A good businessman will always try to give the customer what the customer wants. In this case, the customer wants good news.

Feb 12, 2014 9:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

Credible?

The problem is – they won’t allow this data to be audited citing privacy laws.

Feb 12, 2014 11:22am EST  --  Report as abuse
UScitizentoo wrote:

Military Communist Chinese criminals, cooking the books as usual. Who would have thought that.

Feb 12, 2014 11:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
BaiJiuUSA wrote:

Every business in the PRC has three sets of accounting books, students are taught this in university. 1) the books that are reported to the government for tax reasons. 2) the books that are used to ‘save face’. and 3) the Real deal. Now, which books do you think these reported numbers are made from??

remember…as a government official, if your sector is not producing higher and higher GDP, basically not showing growth, you are a loser and will be cast out of the system. hmmm…. are the books cooked???

this is not a joke. i’ve lived over here for 6 years.

also check this out… when the government needs to spend more money, they break down the unused portions of refined goods back into raw materials, then re-refine them and count all three episodes towards their GDP.

Feb 12, 2014 11:52am EST  --  Report as abuse
planemikey wrote:

Annalists are rarely out this much especially all of them at once. I think more and more countries are doing this. Perhaps because it is just another way of kicking the can down the road. Staying in power or getting elected have a great influence in fudging numbers. However this is very dangerous for the markets as they are already over priced.

Feb 12, 2014 11:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.