Iran a threat not just to Israel, says Germany's Merkel

Comments (15)
JamVee wrote:

The US should echo Germany’s stance on the issue of Israel! They have a far better knowledge of the realities of the Arab/Israeli situation than the US does. Most politicians, and in fact the citizens of the US, have been brainwashed for nearly 3 generations by Israel and their giant US Lobby. I’m not saying I am Anti-Israel, because I AM NOT! What I’m saying is that they have committed just as many horrendous crimes (starting in the 1940s) as the Arabs have. BUT, nobody wants to talk about THAT FACT.

Feb 25, 2014 8:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
Logical123 wrote:

So, Merkel thinks that Iran is a threat to Europe? Is she insane? How is Iran a threat to Europe? Is it going to shoot missiles at Europe? We all know that Netanyahu is a raving lunatic. But, it seems that lunacy is contagious. Iran hasn’t attacked any country since 1729. Why would it start now? It is simply hilarious to read this story.

Feb 25, 2014 11:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
PcGuy12345 wrote:

@Logical123
Iran is much too clever to attack another country directly. It prefers to do it through intermediaries, such as blowing up jewish center in Argentina, blowing up american barracks in Lebanon, financing terror in Europe, such as blowing up bus with Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, supplying weapons to Hizbolla in Lebanon, support murderous Assad regime in Syria. Just imagine what it could with a few nuclear bombs, or even a dirty bomb.

Feb 25, 2014 6:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
KM363 wrote:

Hi Reuters

Testing

Feb 25, 2014 6:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
KM363 wrote:

I’m not getting why this leads with the ‘Iran is threat to Europe’ meme. Why does Reuters choose to highlight this? Neither the Wash Post nor the NY Times even mentions that Merkel said anything like this.

Is it because Reuters and/or the writer wishes to play up an image of closeness of Germany to the Israeli viewpoint?

Headlines are a key way to slant the picture you want the public to get, since of course many people don’t read much beyond the headlines. In this case it’s more than just a headline choice,because the writer clearly focused the piece itself thus way.

Feb 25, 2014 6:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Renbe wrote:

Mrs. Merkel (and virtually any other German politician) will say exactly what Israel demands them to say. It’s part of the eternal guilt and reparations program.

Feb 25, 2014 6:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Logical123 wrote:

PcGuy12345: Obviously you are an ignoramus when it comes to Iran and you have been totally brainwashed. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Iran had nothing to do with the bombing of the Jewish center in Argentina about 20 years ago. Even the U.S. ambassador to Argentina at the time said so. Also, Iran and Argentina signed an agreement with each other a couple of years ago to investigate the matter jointly. What some rogue prosecutor may have said is irrelevant. They even caught a judge while he was bribing a witness.

As for the U.S. barracks in Lebanon, again there is zero evidence that Iran had anything to do with it. Besides, what were the Marines doing there? Do you know that USS New Jersey was lobbing huge bombs on the suburbs of Beirut at the time and indiscriminately killing people?

Concerning the Bulgarian bombings, again, you are totally misinformed. Netanyahu blamed Iran and Hezbollah half an hour after it happened. How did he know? Even the Bulgarian government distanced itself from earlier claims.

I won’t even touch Syria since you seem to live so far from reality that it would be useless.

Feb 25, 2014 8:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PcGuy12345 wrote:

@Logical123
It’s you who are thoroughly misinformed. All the terrorist incidents I mentioned were the work of Islamic Jihad or Hizbollah or both. Both of these organizations have been formed in 1982/83 following Israeli invasion of Lebanon with the direct financial support and training by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard contingent sent by direct orders from Ayatollah Khomeini. So, Iran bears direct responsibility for planning and organizing these terrorist attacks.

Feb 25, 2014 9:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
VultureTX wrote:

@logical123

congrats you practice the taqqiya well for IRNA. only one problem when you deny the obvious it brings down your credibility and Iran’s (you paymaster)

/like I said, sucks to be you.

Feb 25, 2014 10:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Logical123 wrote:

PcGuy12345: You have no facts to back up your wild accusations. Just because the lunatic Netanyahu says that Iran is responsible for an incident it doesn’t make it true.

Islamic Jihad indeed was behind the Marine barrack bombings apparently. But, what does it have to do with Iran? By your argument, the U.S. is responsible for all the terrorist acts of Israel, including the slaughter of 1,400 in Gaza during Cast Lead since the U.S. supports and aids Israel.

As for Hezbollah, it is not at all a terrorist group. It was formed to kick out the Israeli terrorist barbarians from Lebanon which they had been occupying for 20 years. So, you can make all the wild accusations that you want. The fact is that Israel is the biggest terrorist state in the world.

Feb 26, 2014 12:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
PcGuy12345 wrote:

@Logical123
The last time I checked, Israel withdrew from Lebanon more than 30 years ago. What’s the reason for continued existence of Hizbollah and Islamic Jihad ? They’re not part of Lebanese army. They’re not subject to civilian control. They’re a state within a state. A terrorist militia. Their real masters are in Teheran, not in Lebanon. Iran wanted them to fight for Assad in Syria and they did. Because they’re Iranian proxies. They’re not defending Lebanon. And if Iran acquires nuclear weapon, you can be pretty sure they’re going to pass it Hizbollah and IJ to do their dirty deeds for them.

Feb 26, 2014 1:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
Logical123 wrote:

PcGuy12345: I guess you were asleep when Israel attacked Lebanon in 2006, destroyed half of its infrastructure and slaughtered about 1,000 people. Almost every day Israel violates the Lebanese airspace and quite often bombs one site or another, including one only a couple of days ago.

As I said earlier, you don’t seem to know anything about what is going on in Syria and I don’t have the time to educate you.

Feb 26, 2014 11:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
PcGuy12345 wrote:

@Logical123
You’re forgetting that Lebanon never signed a peace treaty with Israel, so the countries are still at war. Since there’re no territorial disputes between Lebanon and Israel, there’s no reason why a peace treaty could not be signed, just like with Egypt and Jordan. Do you see any armed incidents between Israel and Egypt and Jordan? Does Israel violate Egyptian or Jordanian airspace ? No. The same could be the case with Lebanon if it were to sign a peace treaty with Israel. But as we all know, that it is not something that Hizbollah and their masters in Teheran want. They want to maintain the conflict with Israel for their own interests, not for the interests of Lebanon. The Lebanese government is powerless to do anything. The country is run by and for Hizbollah as directed by their masters in Teheran.

Feb 26, 2014 1:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Logical123 wrote:

PcGuy12345: Now, you show your general ignorance beyond Syria. Why does Lebanon have to sign a peace treaty with stupid Israel. Do all neighboring countries have to sign peace treaties with each other? The UN resolution that ended Israel’s aggression against Lebanon already said that Lebanon’s territorial integrity and its airspace should be respected. But, Israel has no respect for international law or UN resolutions.

You seem to know nothing about Lebanon wither. So, there is no point in talking to you about Lebanon too.

Feb 26, 2014 5:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PcGuy12345 wrote:

@Logical123
Since you brought up that I’m misinformed about Lebanon. Let me educate you about the UN resolution that ended the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon. Please read the resolution carefully: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1701

One of key points of that resolution is:

The Resolution calls for “full implementation of the relevant provisions of the Taif Accords, and of resolutions 1559 (2004) and 1680 (2006), that require the disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon, so that, pursuant to the Lebanese cabinet decision of July 27, 2006, there will be no weapons or authority in Lebanon other than that of the Lebanese state.”

Let me state it in plain terms: it required disarmament of Hizbollah. Please confirm for me whether Hizbollah disarmed itself and removed all its fighters from the border with Israel as it was required to do by that resolution, and then we can talk about whether what Israel is doing is legal or illegal.

Feb 26, 2014 8:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.