Search for Malaysian jet resumes off Australia after weather improves

Comments (30)
XianSheng wrote:

China should put their money where their mouth is and start funding a massive search with hundreds of their own ships, planes, satellites and personnel, not just demand other countries to do this for them. The West has already spent way too much money on the mostly Chinese passengers that where on that plane.

Mar 24, 2014 8:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
alaba7x7 wrote:

I said this before, some years a go a plane crash in the Atlantic ocean a 747 and the pinners didn’t work , if then the FAA and the aviation administration have establish to install pinners in the outer fuselage of commercial planes that in the event a plane goes in to water they detach and float , if any of the passengers of flight 370 have been able to exit the plane , this kind of device would have let known to the authorities about a plane going in to the water and where according to the coordinate acquired by satellites, and in a matter of hours search and rescue would have been in the area and all this guessing and confusion would have been prevented, lots of money would have been save or used to the actual recovery and rescue of survivors plus the back boxes etc… , so the question is how many more lives will take for someone to be able to change the red tape to have this simple device install in commercial planes?

Mar 24, 2014 10:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SKYDRIFTER wrote:

A satellite data analysis of four “pings” doesn’t account for so many implausible scenarios; starting with the “disappearance” of Flight 370.

Where is the Malaysian, Indonesian military and naval radar data to account for the aircraft; just in the “local area?” If the satellite data analysis was the least bit plausible; the aircraft didn’t just ‘teleport’ to the South Indian Ocean. Absent military radar data indicating that the aircraft maintained an average altitude above 30,000 feet, the odds of Flight 370 “accidentally” reaching that far are ludicrous.

Flight 370 should have been equipped with automated satellite position reporting; known as “ADS-B” (Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast). But “officials” haven’t even mentioned that system.

For every “official” account (excuse) presented, so far; there is too much to oppose those accounts. Arguing that UFOs are scientific evidence of Quantum Physics Theory makes more sense.

But, if the “bin Laden” story sold for 9/11; this story might just “stick.”

Mar 25, 2014 4:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
matthewslyman wrote:

@XianSheng: China is already doing these things. They have two Ilyushin-76 jets searching the southern part of the Indian Ocean for debris. They have a ship in the area too.

I only wish China would stop it off with the subtle propaganda against Malaysia. What were they thinking, when they released those fake satellite images of aeroplane debris, allegedly showing that the plane crashed in the ocean between Malaysia and Vietnam? We all know now, that was either a deception or sheer incompetence! It’s getting increasingly obvious that China is engaging in a subtle campaign to discredit Malaysia and cast doubt on Malaysia’s ability to monitor and control the sea, air-space and islands in Malaysia’s territorial parts of the South China Sea! It’s all about China’s long-term territorial and mineral ambitions!

What is China really doing, when they demand for Malaysia to hand over to them any and all raw evidence relating to the flight; including presumably, raw radar signal returns received by Malaysian military radar stations facing toward the sea north east of Malaysia? It’s cynically opportunistic of the Chinese authorities to attempt such a subtle means of analysing Malaysia’s military radar capabilities!

So: CHINA demands TRANSPARENCY from Malaysia, over a major public transport accident; requiring publication of secret military data? Pot calls kettle black… May we first have more data on Tiananmen Square, please? The full secret transcripts of who gave what orders, when, and why? Can we also, while we’re at it, have a complete explanation of how China “mistakenly” released that satellite image of debris in the sea south of Vietnam?

Then perhaps we can start to contemplate the “delays” and “deceptions” from the Malaysian authorities; who apparently didn’t know any better than what they have been telling us…

Mar 25, 2014 5:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse
matthewslyman wrote:

@SKYDRIFTER: The pilots apparently shut down all position-reporting systems they could. It takes time to perform manual signals analysis on the remaining signals. While making it clear to our governments that we approve the use of our national resources to find out what happened, we should give the accident investigators chance to do their job.

Mar 25, 2014 5:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeGood wrote:

I think in such disasters, we need to put ourselves in the shoes of the families.

The actions from the Malaysian Government or Malaysian airlines are mainly the cause of such unhappiness…

1.) First they did not disclose or announce the disappearance of the flight within 2 hours of the matter and when it turn around after an hour and did not follow it’s impending route… it should caution the nations around it… what if it is another terrorist attack that wants to crash into a building in their own country or neighbouring countries… MORE WILL BE KILLED!

2.) After more than 5 days when more than 10 countries went searching on the waters between Malaysia and Vietnam… and discovered a number of debris… which were all rejected by Malaysia as debris from MH370… United States and London sounded out on day 6 / 7 the fact that there are records that showed the plane flying for another 5 hours… Malaysia denied for a full day… by the acting defence and home minister…before they acknowledged this truth…

3.) Malaysia started searching on the straits of malacca without any explanation from them which puzzled most people and nations… finally…

DOESN’T IT SOUND RIDICULOUS TO ANYONE THAT AN IDENTIFIED OBJECT ACTUALLY FLEW ACROSS MALAYSIA WITHOUT BEING SHOT DOWN??? THERE MUST HAVE COMMUNICATIONS IN BETWEEN…

What is Malaysia hiding… and why are some nations helping to keep this secret … only those with the facts know…

4.) Yesterday… without even discovering the MH370 wreckage… they declared it lost and gone and to probably give up searching… Has Malaysia kept more information still in the dark? MAYBE… JUST MAYBE… COULD MALAYSIA HAS SHOT DOWN THE PLANE IN STRAITS OF MALACCA… AFTER BRINGING MANY NATIONS ON A WILD GOOSE CHASE… buuuut REALIZING THE BILL WILL BE ON THE NATION TOO… IT QUICKLY CALLED OFF THE SEARCH!!! …

FRANKLY SPEAKING, I WOULDN’T BLAME THEM IF THEY DID SHOOT IT DOWN… BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE A SEARCH AND RESCUE IMMEDIATELY! SAVING LIVES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN SAVING FACE!

Many theories evolved along the way…

Personally, i think this possible “HIJACK” should be related to Anwar… they may have hoped for Anwar to be released… this is a domestic political matter which is probably why Malaysia is keeping a secret and other nations are helping them to keep quiet about it…
If it is… than the poor stupid person who did this and caused the death of more than 200 people probably destroyed Anwar more than his sodomy trial (although personally, i think he was framed)… because many innocent lives perish because of this….

And to XianSheng… all costs involved with this recovery process are normally paid mainly by insurance, airlines related and the country of origin… ie… Malaysia … the chinese are customers… u do not ask the customers to pay for such damages… imagine your relative up there and do u pay for it if they are killed in this way… Of course some countries will pay part of their search if they want to…!

God bless the lost souls… and if they are still alive… my blessings with them.

Mar 25, 2014 5:20am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Yamayoko wrote:

Never had in aviation history a missing plane with bodies unaccounted for. France did have their deceased passengers all reovered from AF447 Atlantic crash though the plane not. This suggests they are still trapped inside MF370 cabin awaiting salvage. I hope the search and rescue don’t end here.

There was no distress call meaning most victims including the crew did not know their destiny until very late at dying moment. Of course, anything can happen to a plane when you have a pilot who is mentally ill or a fanatic maniac who gave no mayday on purpose.

Families now get mad because Malaysia government was wrong to give them false hope at first about hijack or mistaken landing somewhere, making this hystery among naive relatives.

Mar 25, 2014 5:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RandomRiffy wrote:

You ought to know that the delay was contributive. The US took some time to analyse the 6th handshake before giving it to Malaysia. Chinese sattelites were wrong the first time. So if you wanna blame Malaysia you have to blame other countries aswell.
Protests isn’t going to help with the search. Stop the over-the-top-whining, like a 3yr old in a grocery store. Look at other family members and see how they are handling it. You’re embarassing the rest of Chinese people,by conforming to the stereotype that they are rude. The Chinese government is also displeased by their behaviour.
If you want to criticise, do so rationally and constructively, but not with anger. The claims that Malaysia is hiding something is outrageous, with no evidence. They were only holding back unoffical, yet to be confirmed information as they dont want to get into speculation.

Mar 25, 2014 6:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RandomRiffy wrote:

What is the Chinese media saying to them that makes them discredit Malaysian information? I think there’s a bit of mistranslation to all this and a lot of specualtive beliefs

Mar 25, 2014 7:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

I think we can all come to our own conclusions about the way the Chinese have behaved in this matter.

Mar 25, 2014 8:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

Whoa….hold on there folks….!

Malaysia “confirmed the plane crashed in remote seas off Australia?” Really? – it’s CONFIRMED?

In science there’s a saying that goes: “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Malaysia…nor anyone else for that matter, has shown any tangible “evidence” that “CONFIRMS” the CONCLUSION that the 777 “crashed in remote seas off Australia.”

Show us. Show us the irrefutable evidence.

Mar 25, 2014 8:54am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

There is nothing extraordinary in concluding that a plane that we know ran out of fuel in mid-ocean has crashed.

It sure beats the alternative explanation that it is somehow, magically, still flying.

Mar 25, 2014 10:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rhaman wrote:

I cannot recall this amount of politics and outcry when Air France crashed on the Atlantic years ago. I understand the emotions as I lost a 17 year sister to a plane crash in the ocean with no recovery possible. I really do. But planes are fragile machines and rather small. Very difficult to find in an ocean. RIP.

Mar 25, 2014 10:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

For all of the folks lamenting the absence of additional radio beacons: these things cost big money, both to purchase and to maintain. I can’t even get a “blanket” or “pillow” on most flights any more. Airlines are extremely cost-sensitive. The only way that these devices will be universally installed is through government action on an international level. But then again, such regulation is a bad thing. Sorry, I forgot…

Mar 25, 2014 10:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
chris87654 wrote:

These Chinese people need to move on. Some are worse than others – a few are behaving like adults. The worst said something like “If most of the passengers were Germans or Britains, Malaysia would be doing a better job” – no they wouldn’t. Go home and I would suggest they and their relatives should not fly anymore. This was a nutcase pilot who made effort to make the plane disappear. The big messup was Malaysia military ignoring a commercial jet that was far off course.

Mar 25, 2014 11:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
chris87654 wrote:

To SKYDRIFTER: Intelligent people know it was Langoliers. And you’re right – the CIA did a good job of blaming terrorists for 9/11. The only way we can be protected from “them” is to wear a full-length tin-foil bodysuit.

Mar 25, 2014 11:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse

“We’re not searching for a needle in a haystack. We’re still trying to define where the haystack is,” Mark Binskin, vice chief of the Australian Defence Force, said Tuesday.
Why didn’t some reporter at the news conference ask him the obvious question: “Does that mean the wrong area — the wrong ocean — is being searched for wreckage?”

Mar 25, 2014 12:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

“We’re not searching for a needle in a haystack. We’re still trying to define where the haystack is,” Mark Binskin, vice chief of the Australian Defence Force, said Tuesday.
Why didn’t some reporter at the news conference ask him the obvious question: “Does that mean the wrong area — the wrong ocean — is being searched for wreckage?”

Mar 25, 2014 12:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
johannesg wrote:

Grief is illogical. That’s why closure helps. It is that touchstone in the mind that allows defenses, e.g. coping, etc. to start being formed.
The core of this is very simple, and is something no one, not Malaysian Airlines, nor the Malaysian government, nor China, Australia, the US, anyone, can give them – They want the dead brought back to life.

Mar 25, 2014 1:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TomInShanghai wrote:

It’s amazing how immature Chinese are for a people with such a supposedly old culture…

Mar 25, 2014 1:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@BeGood well said. Disasters happen, but this level of story-twisting suggests something’s hidden. The way the announcement was made reminds me of KGB era, when people disappeared with only “probable explanations.”
Strangely I feel only Chinese relatives are grieving. What happen to other nationals? Are they happy to learn that their loved ones “most likely have lost in the ocean?” Or they are equally sad but the media ignored them?

Mar 25, 2014 1:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Whatsgoingon wrote:

@Bakhtin “It sure beats the alternative explanation that it is somehow, magically, still flying.” Do we know it actually took off?

Mar 25, 2014 1:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dd606 wrote:

SKYDRIFTER wrote: Flight 370 should have been equipped with automated satellite position reporting; known as “ADS-B” (Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast).”

——-

It was… It went out around the same time as everything else. Less typing, more reading.

The media has made a mockery of this, just the way they make a mockery of everything now days… and people just believe all of it. Technically, the plane still has not been found. The media claims it has. Technically there is zero evidence the crew deliberately crashed it. The media has been citing unidentified “investigators” for two weeks, that they did. The media has put out every two bit, goofball theory there is, and posted info from unidentified “experts”, “investigators” and “authorities” for weeks, most of the info being complete BS. They’re trying to incite a virtual riot between all these people, because it’s good for business. Their business… which is not providing actual news, but simply manipulating people for advertising revenue.

Mar 25, 2014 1:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thoma wrote:

According to Russians, sanctions are a joke.
we need to boycott all that is Russian until our government gets its sanctions in order

Mar 25, 2014 3:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

@Bakhtin is right – the airplane DID crash in mid-ocean because that’s the ONLY conclusion that could be drawn here. “It sure beats the alternative explanation that it is somehow, magically, still flying,” which, of course is the ONLY alternative, at all….ever.

Lemma see, how may times has satellite date shown us the debris from the plane and yet…no physical debris has been retrieved or photographed with discernible clarity.

You’d have to be living in an outhouse to believe satellite technology today CANNOT resolve images better than what we’ve been shown to date and we all KNOW every high-tech country has been looking. Strangely, no pix have been released and nothing has been picked up.

But yeah…that can’t beat the alternative explanation that the plane is somehow, magically, still flying.

Mar 25, 2014 3:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
riposte wrote:

you know there is wayyy more to this story, than what has been force fed to the populace…the chinese want to know, we all should want to know….something more is here..non of it makes any sense, with all those eyes in the sky….

Mar 25, 2014 4:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

SO the Malaysian government planted the flag of absolute certainty that the 777 DID crash in the southern Indian Ocean and told us that they’d reveal the info that they based that certain fact on today.

Interesting isn’t it that they haven’t made a peep today… Maybe they meant tomorrow…or the day after?

Mar 25, 2014 6:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeGood wrote:

The stories OR FACTS that the Malaysian Government is giving are just not concrete… from timing differences, to flight directions… to end time, to “PURE LOGIC” are just TOO ILLOGICAL!

No one with a clear mind will accept all these mistakes… of course it is not the first time they are doing it but we see it in international media now for AN INTERNATIONAL DISSASTER! They obviously believe that the rest of the world are idiots!

Many nations have shown great sadness… even know of the Australian engineer who left his wife and kids crying over the possible loss of their father… Malaysians with relatives on board are just as sad but in this instance… a great majority of the passengers happens to be chinese which is why the media directed the attention at them.

I have been living in shanghai, China for the last 6 years as i have a business here (80% of the time, i am in the country)… and I have seen a change of leadership … Although there are many things that i am unhappy about, the bad air quality and the food hygiene… and the bad manners of the uncultured group of chinese… there are many good things that i can learn from them too! I can see that the new government especially wants to wipe out corruption … just like HK about 40 years ago… It is a tough job for them as it will affect the economy and basic lifestyles BUT it is good for the long term of the country! I admire their courage and determination!

Like what some said… the PlANE could not have teleported somewhere else … so where are the radars of the different countries… Singapore, Indonesia… and Australia… and of course Malaysia too!!! And especially for them as they flew over their land… i am not an expert but i believe that it should take at least half an hour to fly over Malaysian land… not to mention their sea territory…!

MALAYSIA IS DEFINITELY HIDING SOMETHING! AND SOME BIG NATIONS ARE HELPING THEM KEEP SOME OR PART OF THIS SECRET!

FOR THIS OBVIOUS FACT… I THINK THE BIG NATIONS SHOULD NOT KEEP THIS QUIET… ESPECIALLY WHEN IT INVOLVES THEIR OWN CITIZENS TOO! WHETHER IT IS ONE CITIZEN OR ONE HUNDRED CITIZENS… I THINK EACH OF THE GOVERNMENT HAS A RIGHT TO LET THEM KNOW WHERE THE LOST BODIES ARE AND WHAT HAS ACTUALLY HAPPENED! IMAGINE IT IS OUR CLOSE RELATIVES AND FRIENDS… WE WILL BE GREATLY SADDENED TOO… WOULDN’T WE… IF WE HAVE A CARING HEART!

BY LETTING THE WORLD KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED CAN THE REST OF THE NATIONS PREPARE THEMSELVES FOR MORE STRINGENT MEASURES TO GUARD AGAINST… IT MAY BE THE FIRST TIME THAT SUCH THINGS HAVE HAPPENED BUT WE NEED TO MINIMISE WHAT MAY COME FORTH IN FUTURE AND THE ONLY WAY IS TO SHARE THESE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE TOGETHER!

Mar 25, 2014 11:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

Chazz wrote:
“But yeah…that can’t beat the alternative explanation that the plane is somehow, magically, still flying.”

Okay, if you say the plane didn’t crash, and it isn’t still flying, then where is it?

Surely you are not suggesting that it landed somewhere over a fortnight ago but nobody noticed it, or the 239 people on board.

Chazz wrote:
“Lemma see, how may times has satellite date shown us the debris from the plane and yet…no physical debris has been retrieved or photographed with discernible clarity.”

None. Not one. The sea is full of large floating objects that are thrown from ships, or fall off, or get swept off by heavy weather. The conclusion that every one *must* be part of an airliner is purely your own. To the rest of us, satellites have shown big floaty things that are worth a second look and yes – sometimes those big floaty things sink. It is normal, not a conspiracy.

Mar 25, 2014 11:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gu-est wrote:

Malaysia shouldn’t have announced that the plane crashed and all survivors lost, until they find debris matches MH 370 and bodies are found. This was done with AF 447 with debris confirmed that it’s the plane and some bodies found within a week or so. Malaysian officials could have announced the search area has been narrowed and a lot of satellite images confirm debris. So at least there is a possible debris field and recovery of the debris, searching for bodies and eventually black box will be the next step. At least they are moving forward, while the last 2 weeks investigation has been stalled. By Malaysian officials giving this kind of announcement, seems to me Malaysia has given up and will just sit and wait for years for black box and rest of the wreckage to be found. The area being southern Indian Ocean with rough weather not permitting rescuers from actually acquiring some wreckage, and then proceeding to test if the objects are from MH 370 doesn’t help at all. No one can conclude until this is done, satellite data and Inmarsat can help in proving the obvious, but not solid evidence that the objects that are floating are in fact from MH 370. Even if that happened, that’s just the beginning. The real answers are not the route,location of debris field and evidence that it was MH 370. The real answers Malayasian officials have to give is why the plane was diverted and they failed to act when their ATC must have acquired information from Vietnam ATC about the incident. It’s less about China releasing false images or someone reporting that oil slicks about MH 370. Malaysia should have focused on Indian Ocean from Andaman to south in the first week and Inmarsat could have started working then to calculate.

Mar 26, 2014 3:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.