House cat in Oregon attacks baby, traps family in bedroom

Fr0ntSight wrote:

pictures!!

Mar 10, 2014 9:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fr0ntSight wrote:

pictures!!

Mar 10, 2014 9:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Compurgator wrote:

(Gasp!) Are you people kidding me/us?!?

A cat holds humans and a dog a bay? For real?

And: the humans call police?

And that’s news?

We all knew that Portland had long since become a fey, stitched-up place, but, c’mon!

Mar 10, 2014 10:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

“The baby’s father kicked the cat…”

Gee, I wonder why it has a “history of violence”.

Mar 11, 2014 1:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RedHandNYC wrote:

“It was not clear what they intend to do with the animal, he said.”

Perhaps a nice pair of mittens for the infant?

Mar 11, 2014 6:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
DarthFamine wrote:

When an animal attacks a baby the animals motivations simply do not matter. I’d have killed the cat myself if I was the father.

Mar 11, 2014 6:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bobo9 wrote:

Kick any animal enough times & it’ll eventually get wild & turn on you.
Hopefully they’ll give up the cat to a rescue organization so it can find a home with a family that doesn’t kick it.

Mar 11, 2014 7:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse
VileV wrote:

Usually Himalayans have a calm temperament unless they are subjected to boisterous children and dogs. Hell, if I was a cat, I would go ballistic too if a strange baby was bothering me and then a person 9 times my size kicked me in my fluffy butt. Once again, this sounds like another case of animals getting punished due to the lack of respect from their care-givers.

Mar 11, 2014 10:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaroca wrote:

what sort of idiots cannot throw a blanket over it and put the poor beastie outside?

If the cat was really quick the guy would be named Claude Ballz

Mar 11, 2014 1:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Swisswatch wrote:

I would have gone after him too if he had kicked me.

Mar 11, 2014 2:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Swisswatch wrote:

Why did the cops leave the cat with the family?

Mar 11, 2014 2:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Yashmak wrote:

That cat’s “history of violence” would have been exceedingly short, had it scratched my baby’s face.

Mar 11, 2014 2:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TraylorTrasch wrote:

That cat is bigger than my Westie, and Westies are pretty scrappy.

Mar 11, 2014 2:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Crash866 wrote:

Bunch of pussies

Mar 11, 2014 3:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
UncleMatt wrote:

I’m sure the baby started it with the cat. I’m also sure that the cat was injured when kicked and the pain of injury pushed it over the edge. It should not have been left with the family but instead taken to the vet.

Mar 11, 2014 3:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
countrygal925 wrote:

My understand from reports I heard is that the baby was pulling the cats tale which no doubt hurt the cat. Animals do not possess the critical thinking capabilities that humans are supposed to, and I’m sure the cat just reacted to having its tail pulled. Removing the baby would have been a far better (and less upsetting) solution to this situation. Kicking the cat only escalated the situation. And why did the parents allow such close contact between the two knowing there was a “history of violence” on the cat’s part. The parents are responsible for what happened, not the cat nor the child.

Mar 11, 2014 4:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
OneOfTheSheep wrote:

Something wrong with the reporting either here on on AP. On AP, the initiating “attack” was that this toddler pulled the cat’s tail. Depending on how hard, that can HURT!

A cat in pain is not going to be as forgiving as a parent, who, if worthy of that title, would have been monbitoring the interplay between a cat in it’s home of many years and a likely perceived “johnny-com-lately” interloper. Unfortunately, Yasmak is indicative of the “due consideration” this poor cat is likely to get.

Also on AP the owners purportedly are keeping the cat and having it checked out by a vet (for what?) and an animal psychologist. Seems a waste of money when all necessary is to keep the cat and the little barbarian apart until comes to recognize it’s “place” in that home.

The Reuters and AP stories of the same incident are utterly contradictory. How about some fact checking, editors?

Mar 11, 2014 4:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Burns0011 wrote:

Yeah, cats are generally not hyper-aggressive unless there’s something going on that’s making them constantly feel insecure and anxious.

Mar 11, 2014 4:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Any animal that attacks my small child is going to meet the end of whatever implement is handy, be it broom handle, crescent wrench or baseball bat. Period.

Mar 11, 2014 7:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hummingbird2 wrote:

Gee,, I wonder if the cats’ attack had anything to do with being “kicked in the backside”?
Animals that exhibit this type of behavior are often treated badly and are lashing out in order to protect themselves…
Not sayin’ anything against the owners, but …well.. maybe…?

Mar 11, 2014 7:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Neurochuck wrote:

The most dangerous behavior of my cat was to jump on my head and sink front claws in, and rake down my forehead and cheeks with her back claws. Fortunately humans have evolved brows and sunken eye sockets, but lots of blood and social embarrassment. She has also done this once to a strangers dog, and missed its eyes.
I got her from an animal refuge when 3 years old, and she is very muscly and active with Burmese traits of fur and curiosity and interactivity etc.
But I suspect in a rural area she may have inherited traits from multiple generations of feral or farm yard cat.
Now I don’t play rough games like rolling her in a rug, and can see the warning signs when she is getting too excited and competitive.
When she is good, she is very good, and when she is bad, she is very bad.

Mar 11, 2014 8:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lacarmen wrote:

On a serious note: I had a cat that became violent when he had a urinary tract infection.
This only happened when the cat was ill and in pain. I suggest they get the cat to a vet.

Mar 11, 2014 9:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
timebandit wrote:

How soon before this violent arsehole “father” is kicking his child? I give it a year.
THAT is why the cat is angry. Hope some good person steps in to give the cat a home. Why the heck would the cops leave it there for this man to further hurt, if not kill?

Mar 12, 2014 11:01am EDT  --  Report as abuse
octanebratz wrote:

Another case of irresponsible/abusive parents combined with irresponsible/abusive animal ownership which leads to completely avoidable child and animal harm/abuse.

Mar 13, 2014 2:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse