GM CEO says only learned of defective cars in late January

Overcast451 wrote:

Probably shouldn’t make the airbags dependent on the ignition alone. Perhaps if there is a forward or reverse speed measured, they should be active – period.

Mar 18, 2014 1:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Kahnie wrote:

And she did what, when? Too slow. Something should have been done immediately. Lame response.

Mar 18, 2014 1:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dualcitizen wrote:

Yeah, suuuuuure.

Mar 18, 2014 2:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

a new twist on the concept of ‘due diligence’

Mar 18, 2014 2:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

She must be thinking; if Obama can point the finger everywhere except at himself why can’t I.

Mar 18, 2014 2:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DougAnderson wrote:

I’m probably the worst person to post this, but this a joke right? “Oooh, I don’t know things to BOOM when I CRASH into them.”

Mar 18, 2014 2:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DougAnderson wrote:

Mar 18, 2014 2:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bugzy wrote:

I could be the CEO of any company in the world! They don’t really do anything and are so dumb to ask questions. CEOs just show up, listen to briefings, add no meaningful input, cut jobs from lower paid staffs just to increase personal bonus pot.

Mar 18, 2014 3:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GiganteVerde wrote:

Could the Cash-for-Clunkers deal been a way to destroy evidence?
There needs to be a federal investigation into this.
Perhaps Eric Holder would lead the effort.

Mar 18, 2014 3:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hawkeye19 wrote:

Obama’s a more plausible liar. More experience I guess.

Mar 18, 2014 3:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
willich6 wrote:

“I didn’t know… I didn’t know”… – well the last CEO did and he just left town with a fat ‘golden parachute’ heading back to Carlyle..

Mar 18, 2014 4:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I believe her, that she didn’t know about this fiasco until January.

That makes me glad I never owned a GM vehicle before, but it certainly doesn’t mean I’d buy one anytime soon. These are the signs that something has been very wrong at GM for a very long time.

Personally I think GM should have failed a long time ago. Since they weren’t allowed to fail, the only way I’d even remotely consider buying GM is if the company reinvented itself from the ground up, which is not a very likely possibility.

Mar 18, 2014 4:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

I suspect this whole thing can be traced back a couple of rogue workers in Cincinnati who didn’t want to join the auto union.

Mar 18, 2014 4:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Robertla wrote:

look on the bright side……….it’s not Microsoft, it’s not Windows.

Mar 18, 2014 4:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rokid wrote:

I wonder how many pennies per switch they saved by going cheap? Accountants rule!

Mar 18, 2014 4:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AZ1811 wrote:

Equal pay for equal lies. Coverups know no gender. Must have gotten her talking points from someone in the white house. They are experience liars, especially the Liar-in-Chief. Covered this up while asking for a bailout and getting the taxpayers to foot the union pensions. Nice work GM (government motors).

Mar 18, 2014 5:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hermist wrote:

Same old song, male or female executives are cut from the same wood. Sad. 1

Mar 18, 2014 5:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hermist wrote:

It is Obama’s fault, he made those lousy switches, right guys on the right??

Mar 18, 2014 5:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GCGriswold wrote:

So GM, “where does the buck end”?

Mar 18, 2014 5:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GCGriswold wrote:

So GM, “where does the buck end”?

Mar 18, 2014 5:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sego wrote:

Was always taught not to hang heavy key rings on the ignition switch. It causes them to wear out over time. Most owner manuals state that.

Mar 18, 2014 5:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Whiskey1027 wrote:

Reuters should ask the victims’ familes if they feel like they got their money’s worth from the federal bailout of GM. (And let us not forget that the CEOs of GM and other automakers had the audacity to fly to Washington in luxury private jets to request those bailouts).

Mar 18, 2014 5:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bipster wrote:

If CEO did not of the problem that was so prevalent in the company, she should be fired.

Mar 18, 2014 5:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mxxr wrote:

sleep, sleep, wink, wink. wakey, wakey! she probably dives a Caddy!. so how would she know of peon car problems. she should not have made that statement! bad PR. implies she does not know what is going on at GM. time to learn the facts.

Mar 18, 2014 5:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rockhi07 wrote:

She was a lead Engineer and never heard a whisper..she seems like cover her own first and then maybe fix it..Can’t blame old GM anymore iit doesn’t exist

Mar 18, 2014 6:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

And what was so wrong with the regular key ingnitions anyways?

Just another example of trying to fix something that isn’t broke with something that isn’t worth crap.

Good job GM!

Mar 18, 2014 7:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ejhickey wrote:

And the check’s in the mail and I won’t _____ in your mouth

Mar 19, 2014 2:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sangell wrote:

Take one paid vacation day away from every employee until this is paid for. Shareholders should not suffer.

Mar 19, 2014 2:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse