Pope appoints former child victim to church group on sex abuse

Comments (10)
anotherview wrote:

This group appears like a beginning to cleanse the Church of predatory homosexual priests who commit sex crimes against boys. These evildoers have harmed innocents and the Church. Yet, the Church begins this cleansing with a failure to call things by their right name. The Church calls predatory homosexual activity “pedophilia.” This term means sexual attraction to youngsters 11 years old and younger. It generalizes enough to gloss both youngsters older than 11 and the predatory homosexual priests who performed sodomy on boys. The sex crimes against boys involved homosexual acts because the evildoing priests inserted their penises in the anuses of boys for carnal pleasure. Here, the behavior of homosexuality trumps the vanilla term “pedophilia.” Further, the term “predatory” fits the sex crimes here because the predatory homosexual priests did their sex crimes often for decades, and with the continuing connivance of Church officials. The philosopher Aristotle said, “The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right name.” Granted that using the expression “predatory homosexual priests” tends to enflame the audience and perhaps introduce the controversy of homosexuality and its status in society. Yet the Church itself has found that homosexuals suffer from a profound disorder of mind. This illness has infected the Church to its detriment. The proper description of the criminals and their crimes will serve to open the eyes to the facts and information of these matters. In turn, the Church can identify the actuality of the environment fostering the sex crimes against boys by the predatory homosexual priests along with their enabling connivers. Then the Church can root out, defrock, and remove these evildoers from the Church ranks. The screening of candidates for the priesthood must include a strict profile to identify homosexuals in order to prevent them entering the Church ranks. By these means and others, to cleanse itself of evildoers, the Church can regain its role as a moral compass to the world.

Mar 22, 2014 10:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Yesyes wrote:

@anotherview

So, by your logic, the Church should only go after priests who sexually molest boys, but not those who sexually molest girls? Or do you believe somehow that boys were the only victims? Do you believe sexual abuse of children is okay as long it’s heterosexual and no sodomy was involved?
I’m eager to read your answer. I’m sure it will be fascinating

Mar 22, 2014 11:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
f00 wrote:

The vast majority of Church abuse victims have been teenage boys. The pathology at issue has not been pedophilia, which involves pre-pubescents. It’s been homosexuality.

It’s interesting that a female victim was chosen for the committee. Considering that this Pope has been caving on fundamental Church principles, this may have been done to downplay the overwhelmingly homosexual character of the abuse. Can’t place queers in a bad light, that’s “judgmental.”

Mar 22, 2014 12:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
2Borknot2B wrote:

Now to reign in the Jewish pedophiles. L.

Mar 22, 2014 12:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
aminahyaquin wrote:

Absolutely awesome Pope. This inclusivity is critical for healing and prevention. Bravo, Pope Francis !!!!!

Mar 22, 2014 2:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
aminahyaquin wrote:

Absolutely awesome Pope. This inclusivity is critical for healing and prevention. Bravo, Pope Francis !!!!!

Mar 22, 2014 2:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
aminahyaquin wrote:

Absolutely awesome Pope. This inclusivity is critical for healing and prevention. Bravo, Pope Francis !!!!!

Mar 22, 2014 2:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
esoteria wrote:

@anotherview

i’m appalled, but not surprised by the ignorance of your comment. Maybe you didn’t actually read the article. Paragraph 7: “Among those named to the group was Marie Collins, who was a victim of sexual abuse”. Does that sound like a boy victim of homosexual sodomy? You quote Aristotle i.e “The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right name.” Yet it is you who is failing to do exactly that. While you are correct that the sexual abuse goes beyond pre-teen children as far as age is concerned; the predatory pedophilia they are referring to includes both male and female victims. It also includes acts of sexual malfeasance beyond sodomy. If you would educate yourself to the scope of the abuse, you would learn there was oral sex, vaginal sex, masturbatory acts, incest, coerced pornography, and that’s just the sex. There was also spiritual, emotional and mental trauma to these innocents. Some priests threatened their victims with damnation or violence against their families should they ever try to tell authorities. There are all sorts of mind games these monsters applied to their victims and communities.

Perhaps it fits your narrow notion of sexual deviance to neatly wrap all this abuse into the category of homosexuality. However, your (and numerous church administratiors’) attempt to blame homosexuality for the vast and complex breadth of abuse is precisely calling things by their wrong name. It ignores many other vital facets of this crisis and leaves much of the root of the problems in the dark (where they happen to flourish). You show your profound misunderstanding of the dynamics of power and compulsion involved in pedophilia, sexual abuse and frankly human sexuality; which in general is what allowed/still allows the problem to continue.

You claim, “the Church itself has found that homosexuals suffer from a profound disorder of mind.” Are you actually comfortable getting your facts about human sexual disorders (as you happen to believe homosexuality is) from an organization with a long track record of sexual abuse, cover-up, and a mandated celibate lifestyle. What more proof could anyone have of their inability to understand, let alone judge or educate about, human sexuality? And you would cite their “studies”? Theirs? Honestly?

My assumption is that you are a part of an old guard that would rather box the ugliness under a comfortable designation (say homosexuality, an enemy you have long been used to condemning). You would rather not face the far uglier and complex truth that the abuse stems from, among other things:
1) a history of sexual abuse passed down exponentially (as these priests tend to have multiple victims) from one generation to another like some std (as sexual attraction tends to be hardwired by whatever traumatizes one in their formative years). abusive priests are likely to have started off as abuse victims
2) a misguided tradition of forced sexual abstinence (and the confusions, anxieties, & sinister acting out this truly unnatural suppression of natural impulses creates – especially in MEN)
3) a wildly corrupt church administration (just research the ‘Curia’ and you will realize what a nest of vipers pope francis is trying to reform) apt to do little more than cover up such problems, let alone resolve them
4) the placement of the institution on a pedestal; where a presumed sense of infallibility tends to impede and silence scrutiny and foster a dark shadowy environment for corruption to operate with impunity (i.e. the Penn State University football program or Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC)

But hey ‘anotherview’, don’t let the facts, or an educated understanding of human sexuality, or compassion, or good ol’ unconditional christian love keep you from going after the gays. Historically witch hunts have been pretty effective and productive, without a lot of innocent lives being ruined unnecessarily… right? Although, the new pope seems to have a different head on his shoulders, so i wouldn’t expect him to join in. After all, when asked about homosexuality, didn’t he so humbly state, “Who am I to judge?”

Mar 22, 2014 4:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lacovi wrote:

@anotherview

You can’t tell me that you really think that you can do a “strict profile to identify homosexuals”. There is nothing that can guarantee 100% that someone is or isnt homosexual through a profile. And I absolutely agree with f00. This isnt just homosexuality. This is child abuse through and through.
Keeping homosexuals out of the Church ranks will do nothing. It MIGHT bring down the child abuse of young boys…maybe. But it will do nothing for the young girls who are also a part of this mess. Anyone willing to harm or force a child to do anything, whether its by sheer force or coaxing, should in NO way be a part of something so important to so many people.

Mar 22, 2014 12:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
greentheway wrote:

” the Church can regain its role as a moral compass to the world.”

Since when has the Church of Rome ever been the moral compass for the world??? This “church” has been a surge on human kind since it’s foundation. One only has to read the history of the Roman Catholic Church to see that it has abused and murdered throughout it’s history. This is nothing more than a cheap attempt to gloss over the pure evilness of this establishment.
Better no compass than an evil and corrupt one such as the Roman Catholic Church.

Mar 23, 2014 2:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.