Smartwatches? Not at this time, say wary Swiss

neopolitics wrote:

instead of making a smart watch, how about a smart phone that you wind up like a watch instead of having to use batteries. Now, that would be practical and useful.

Mar 29, 2014 5:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
seafloor wrote:

Maybe the time isn’t ripe for smartwatches as it hasn’t been ripe for smartphones made by Siemens long ago. Also the NSA scandal didn’t change the smartworld for the good. For the time being a smartwatch seems to be a nice glossing-over of an ankle monitor. I’m not a data collecting robot. So I don’t need all these informations, that doesn’t affect me. Also the picture of a full electronical equipped body looks like the very cheap entertainment side.

Mar 29, 2014 7:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BLUEBLOOD wrote:

BIG mistake from an Old mans way of doing business. Wearable tech is coming and will take over within 25 years. You better get on board or face going of out business. MArk my words. Wearable tech is here.

Mar 29, 2014 7:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BLUEBLOOD wrote:

Mar 29, 2014 7:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mrpr wrote:

Wonder if this is what Nokia or Kodak said before ‘smarter’ technologies made their business obsolete

Mar 30, 2014 7:27am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SeeH wrote:

My smart gadgets there are in my pocket or bag. On the wrist I prefer classic watch as addiction to elegant outfit.

Mar 30, 2014 7:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Yeah, quartz crystals were not in the plans of Swiss watchmakers either, and failing to adopt that technology in a “timely” fashion totally devastated their industry.

Mar 30, 2014 8:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SanPa wrote:

The average Smart Watch buyer won’t be shopping for Patek Phillipe, or any other uber luxury brand. I suspect that Rolex and Omega could suffer, but the $20K and up watches will still be bought. It is just that the smart watch might be worn at day, and the uber watch worn at night when owned by the uber wealthy.

Mar 30, 2014 4:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse