Day after 'Bridgegate' report, Christie says Port chair resigns

Comments (32)
Alkyonis13 wrote:

“I am not a crook “said he “No no you are not!”said his commitee

Mar 27, 2014 9:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

So Bridget Kelly just woke up one morning and said “Gee, I think I’ll shut down the George Washington bridge today”???

Pardon me, Governor Christie, I think I’ll wait for the real investigation, you know, the one you didn’t pay for, to issue their report, thank you very much.

Mar 27, 2014 9:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

‘Christie’s investigators failed to gain access to at least four central figures, including Kelly and Wildstein, accused of either designing or covering up the scheme.’

So then, how can this bogus ‘investigation’ have any credibility at all? It was a waste of a million taxpayer dollars.

Mar 28, 2014 9:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse

This is a good news/bad news deal. The bad news? Christie will remain Governor of NJ for another four years and that stinks for the people of NJ. The good news? Christie will never be President of the United States.

He’s a coward, a bully, and a third-rate thug who doesn’t hesitate to throw people under the bus to save his own wide butt.

Mar 28, 2014 9:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse
NIck84 wrote:

Christie skates… take page from Obama’s scandal playbook…. no ambassadors murdered in the process.

Mar 28, 2014 10:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
NIck84 wrote:

Takin a page from the Obama scandal palybook

Mar 28, 2014 10:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ThomasTTommyT wrote:

With all due respect, You call this a news story? The NJ Governor hired his own friend, a lawyer, for a million dollars using taxpayer money, to clear the Governor or ALL wrongdoing… Without even interviewing the main people they claim orchestrated the bridge closures for political payback. As usual, sketchy, no-moral compass folks trying to pull the wool over voter’s eyes.

To Gov. Christie… Just how stupid do you think we are?

Mar 28, 2014 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

Christie to his Lawyers: ‘hey, how about if I give you guys a million dollars of taxpayer money and you declare me innocent?’
Lawyers: OK!

Mar 28, 2014 11:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Wow what does Christie think of New Jersey residents????
What next get his own paid Judge to try his case … wouldn’t be surprising!

Mar 28, 2014 12:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bear87 wrote:

Another GOP hopeful bites the dust. That’s right, i pay for a investigation into whether I was responsible for an event happening. Gee Governor, I wonder if any body believes that s**t.

Mar 28, 2014 12:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bear87 wrote:

Another GOP hopeful bites the dust. That’s right, i pay for a investigation into whether I was responsible for an event happening. Gee Governor, I wonder if any body believes that s**t.

Mar 28, 2014 12:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

‘Investigators reviewed 250,000 documents and did 70 interviews but did not speak to key players including Kelly, Wildstein and former campaign manager Bill Stepien.’

Says it all right there. A taxpayer funded whitewash.

Mar 28, 2014 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

SunnyDaySam wrote:
“So then, how can this bogus ‘investigation’ have any credibility at all? It was a waste of a million taxpayer dollars.”

Christie is no stranger to wasting millions of taxpayer dollars for entirely frivolous reasons that only benefit him.

Last fall, he wasted around $24 million taxpayer dollars to hold a special election for New Jersey’s vacant senate seat, when there was a regularly scheduled election two weeks later for governor.

See, the democrat running for senate (Corey Booker) was widely favored to win, and was expected to pull huge democratic voter turnout. Christie didn’t want all of those pesky voters to possibly sway the election against him. So he wasted $24 million taxpayer dollars so that Corey Booker’s election wouldn’t be held on the same day as his.

Just one more example of frivolous waste and political gamesmanship from Christie.

Mar 28, 2014 3:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
longtail wrote:

How would you feel if, after marooning you on a bridge for hours as part of a vendetta against a political rival, your governor dug into your hard earned tax payments to whitewash his rep? I’m glad I don’t live in Jersey but I suppose I’m getting almost the same treatment from my governor in Maine.

Mar 28, 2014 4:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

Christie’s issues will be real good for many in the conservative party, especially the grass roots conservative TP, as it removes an obstacle. Then Senator Cruz, Senator Lee or Senator Rubio will have a much easier time getting the nomination. Good times ahead for our country. President Cruz?, President Lee? or President Rubio?, take your pick as either will do a fine job for our country if they decide to run.

Mar 28, 2014 4:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

4825 wrote: ‘Christie’s issues will be real good for many in the conservative party…’

For for the first time I agree with you, Koch poster; I hope the GOP does nominate any of those you named. It insures a result like 2012, only better. Face it: we’re not mostly extreme cons.

Mar 28, 2014 4:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
EthelGoodhill wrote:

Why didn’t Christie order Samson to speak to the law firm investigating the bridge scandal? Why did the investigating law firm ask Christie to order that the head of the port authority talk to them?

This sounds like a whitewash to me. At first, I didn’t think Christie personally did anything wrong. However, the longer this has gone on, the more Christie has acted as if he has something to hide. This phony objective report is just one example.

Mar 28, 2014 5:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

Christie on $1M pricetag on bridge scandal report: “I have not been focused on ultimately what this is costing.”

We know, Chris. You’ve been focusing on trying to make us believe you had nothing to do with it. And why should you care what the cost is? It’s not your money, it’s the Taxpayer’s!

Mar 28, 2014 5:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kimsarah wrote:

Yep, only the folks in Fort Lee care about this.

Mar 28, 2014 5:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamesChirico wrote:

Confident he could get away with it scot free was how Christie began this Bridgegate and other episodes of political misconduct. Truth is a fish stinks from it’s head and this fish had two heads, Gov. Christie and Port Auth. honcho Samson.

The PA police telling people it was the mayor of Ft. Lee’s fault was done. Helmley tried to develop in Ft. Lee, was denied, Sampson as atty for some thought he could push people’s buttons. In Hoboken a developer without knowldege saw Christie staffers threaten mayor Zimmerman. They now call her “unstable” with women’s issues, same for Kelley’s liason as if it had anything to do with enriching Samson’s law firm. A luxury housing development in a hardly hit town got 3 1/2 million in Sandy money, Hoboken with more heavily damaged structures than any other NJ city got 180,000. Whom underwrote the bonds financing luxury housing, Samson. Christie cries innocence but three strikes and you’re out. He had to know he was enriching Samson’s law firm and the 2 billion contract is only one piece of NJ political shenannigans enriching Samson. This resignation was long overdue. Christe has some splainin to do and it did not come from Maestro that tried to whitewash it spending 1 million of NJ government money saying absolutely nothing.

Mar 28, 2014 5:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamesChirico wrote:

Confident he could get away with it scot free was how Christie began this Bridgegate and other episodes of political misconduct. Truth is a fish stinks from it’s head and this fish had two heads, Gov. Christie and Port Auth. honcho Samson.

The PA police telling people it was the mayor of Ft. Lee’s fault was done. Helmley tried to develop in Ft. Lee, was denied, Sampson as atty for some thought he could push people’s buttons. In Hoboken a developer without knowldege saw Christie staffers threaten mayor Zimmerman. They now call her “unstable” with women’s issues, same for Kelley’s liason as if it had anything to do with enriching Samson’s law firm. A luxury housing development in a hardly hit town got 3 1/2 million in Sandy money, Hoboken with more heavily damaged structures than any other NJ city got 180,000. Whom underwrote the bonds financing luxury housing, Samson. Christie cries innocence but three strikes and you’re out. He had to know he was enriching Samson’s law firm and the 2 billion contract is only one piece of NJ political shenannigans enriching Samson. This resignation was long overdue. Christe has some splainin to do and it did not come from Maestro that tried to whitewash it spending 1 million of NJ government money saying absolutely nothing.

Mar 28, 2014 5:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

Christie was never going to be President anyway. These conservative extremists find him too accommodating.

4825: “Good times ahead for our country. President Cruz?”

You and your humorous posts. Maybe a President Cruz can permanently shut down the government, eh? If government is so bad, then why do these guys want to be President so bad?

The US conservatives have completely lost their moorings. They serve at the beck and call of the rich corporate tycoons. We need to give control of the government back to the people, the MAJORITY, the diversity of folks that truly represent America. If we want universal background checks, we should have it. If we want to raise taxes on the rich, we should do so. If we to take steps to minimize climate change, we should do so. Return government back to the people the way it’s supposed to be.

Mar 28, 2014 6:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

@carnivalchaos wrote: “The US conservatives have completely lost their moorings. They serve at the beck and call of the rich corporate tycoons. We need to give control of the government back to the people, the MAJORITY, the diversity of folks that truly represent America. If we want universal background checks, we should have it. If we want to raise taxes on the rich, we should do so. If we to take steps to minimize climate change, we should do so. Return government back to the people the way it’s supposed to be.”

I would say that the liberal Democrats have lost their moorings. Shoving their views on the american public with laws like the ACA, even when the majority of americans did not want it. The problem that carnival has is that when he says “we”, what he means is liberals, not americans. If you replace “we” in his post with “liberals” you would have what Carnivalchaos really meant.

Carnivalchaos is working to do to us exactly what liberals do often, try to make you believe something about a conservative that is not true. In other words, carnival wants to paint a picture of senator Cruz as someone that just wants to shut down government on the one hand but loves big government on the other hand. Hard to have it both ways. Carnivalchaos also wants you to believe that anyone that disagrees with him is “extreme”.

Mar 28, 2014 7:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kommy wrote:

Christie is a bad lair, anyone who saw him on TV could say. His eyes in HD said it all.

Mar 28, 2014 12:51am EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

4825: You can endlessly try to cover up the truth all you want, but eventually the truth always gets out. US conservatives HAVE lost their moorings. They don’t do ANYTHING except favors for the rich, like tax cuts and deregulating their industries. That and preventing the Democrats from doing anything for the people. With the Republicans it’s NEVER for the people. What have they done? Really, 4825, what have the Republicans done that has directly benefited the American people? What have they done to improve our healthcare problems? Do I need to show you polls where Americans are saying healthcare is either the #1 problem facing Americans or one of the top 3 problems, from before Obama became President? I’ve showed you it before. Were you paying attention? Too many Americans going broke due to our healthcare system.

What have Republicans done to help protect the environment? What have they done to solve our illegal immigration problem? What have they done to promote renewable energy, or to help the poor out of poverty? What job training or job producing programs have they put in place? The Republicans are worthless. They’re worse than worthless. They do harm. They shut down the government and cost the economy $23 billion. And for what? How did that help the American people? What are the Republicans doing that gives the American people a greater voice in their government? Nothing.

When I say “we” I mean the majority. A MAJORITY want universal background checks; a MAJORITY believe taxes should be raised on the rich; a MAJORITY believe that our government should be taking steps to combat climate change. And, yes, a majority had been wanting our government to tackle healthcare reform. This was before the Republicans and the insurance/healthcare/Koch brothers spent over $100 million demonizing the ACA. But even with the rightwing propaganda campaign leveled against the ACA, a majority of people do not want it repealed. Also, a majority support all the things the ACA does. The only time a majority polls disapproval of the ACA is when it’s called “Obamacare” because that’s what the rightwing has been teaching Americans to hate. But when asked if they approve of the individual things that Obamacare does, a majority want those things.

I don’t have to do anything to convince Americans about conservatives. Conservatives do that all themselves. When I point out how a majority of Americans support Democratic initiatives and how Democrats are made up of a diversity of Americans–white, black, Asian, Latino, gay, female, male–I’m merely stating facts. You can’t honestly make the same claims about conservatives. The only group in American society that supports conservatives in a majority are white males, and that represents a minority. Liberal leaning folks represent the true American society, which is a diversity of people who have come together and accept the fact that we’re not all the same. That’s fine, and even good, because we DO have enough in common so that we can come together and make things work for all of us, and not just for rich, white, males.

Mar 29, 2014 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

@Carnivalchaos- if you were correct then there would not be any republican politicians in office. There are many so you are obviously wrong.
What have republicans done for us you ask… really, how about the tax cuts Bush put into place that helped all Americans. Maybe you make enough that you did not appreciate the money you kept because of those cuts but many middle americans did. Republicans began the EPA, you know,enivronment, protection duh. Also, Republicans have kept this Liberal president in check, without them everyone’s taxes would be through the roof and along with spending. You don’t really believe liberals have the wherewithal to stop increasing taxes with just the “rich”, do you? Are you that gullible? Also, rich is a relative term. Rich means anyone making more than you do. Carnivalchaos, you have been on the liberal kool-aid too long. Consider thinking through things instead of falling for everything you read on the liberal blogs.

Mar 29, 2014 4:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

4825: That’s a really poor defense of the Republicans. Let’s start with the tax cuts.

First of all, that was over 10 years ago. Perhaps I should have clarified my claim, that the Republicans haven’t done anything for the American people LATELY. Secondly, I already acknowledged that tax cuts for the rich is one of the two things that they DO do: “They don’t do ANYTHING except favors for the rich, like tax cuts and deregulating their industries.”

Now, about those tax cuts. Bush is the only President in US history that took the country to war while implementing tax cuts. Why haven’t any other Presidents done that? Because it’s stupid, fiscally irresponsible. Traditionally, Americans have been asked to pay a little more in taxes to cover costs of a war. Not only does it avoid unnecessary debt, but it also makes it so that all Americans are being asked to contribute instead of just our brave men and women who have to do the heavy lifting, risking their lives. Bush and the Republicans were stupid and irresponsible (as usual).

Also, the tax cuts were put in place primarily for the rich. It’s one of the oldest political tricks in the book. Give a little something to the masses and give a lot to the ruling elites. That way no one complains. But the rich were already paying historically low taxes, even after the Clinton tax increases. Clinton balanced the budget, eliminating the deficit, allowing for a surplus. The irresponsible Republicans screwed that all up for the American people. Why mess with something that’s working well for us? That’s the Republicans for you. Cheney: “Deficits don’t matter.”

“Republicans began the EPA.” True. That was 44 years ago, 4825. It’s really funny to see you using the EPA as an example of something the Republicans have done for the American people, because now they want to abolish it LOL. So, it sounds like we’re on the same page with this one. You’ve presented the EPA as an example of something the GOP has done FOR the American people, but now our current Republican party wants to do away with the EPA. More proof that the Republicans do not represent the American people, except the rich. And when I say rich, I’m talking about multi-millionaires, the 1%. Or more precisely, the .1%.

Keeping this liberal President in check does not constitute something that the Republican party has contributed to the American people. If Obama was not duly elected by the American people, you could make that argument, but because Obama was duly elected by the American people, your point only serves to prove me right. The GOP is thwarting the will of the American people.

I gave you some specific examples, top issues that Americans are concerned about, and you were unable to provide us with any examples of how the Republicans are helping with these concerns: 1.)Universal background checks; 2.)Increasing taxes on millionaires to help balance the budget; 3.)Healthcare costs; 4.)Illegal immigration; 5.)Climate change; 6.)Advancing renewable energy development and usage; 7.)Helping the poor out of poverty; 8.)Job training and job creation. You failed to address any of those. That’s because I’m right, the Republican party is worthless as far as the American people are concerned, and they exist to serve the very rich.

4825, do you know where most of the Republicans who plan to run for the Republican Presidential nomination are right now? They’re in Las Vegas kissing up to some of those extremely rich folks that I’m talking about, making them promises in exchange for money. I rest my case. (Psst…they seem to be favoring Chris Christy heeheehee, a guaranteed loser who isn’t even conservative. Good luck with that.)
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/29/gop-2016-hopefuls-address-big-donors-in-vegas/

Mar 29, 2014 8:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AMatts wrote:

“a day after an internal investiation cleared Christie”?? Please. You’d think a news organization wouldn’t report a pathetic sham as fact.

Mar 29, 2014 10:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

@carnivalchaos- I don’t know which rock you have been living under but the Bush tax cuts helped the middle class in America. See the difference between conservatives and liberal democrats is that conservatives want to help all Americans. Liberals want to help one group while harming another group. Conservatives look for a win/win for the people but liberals look for a win/lose. Conservatives look to offer a hand up. Liberals look to offer a handout.
As for your specific examples, I would first have to buy into all of your premises in order to have a desire to even address them. I don’t. See I understand clearly how the liberal mind works. You attempt to persuade by throwing out some trivial comment, for instance, republicans hanging out with the rich like it is supposed to be some revelation. But it is funny how when Obama hangs with his rich liberal acquaintances it then becomes so cool in your mind. One last thing Carnivalchaos, there is a lot of time between now and the presidential election and a lot can happen. However, there is much less time between now and the midterms. I guess we will take a pulse of the country in the fall. How do you see that will turning out?

Mar 29, 2014 10:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

4825: Asking you what the Republicans have done for Americans regarding any of the 8 specific issues I mentioned is not a trick question. Asking what the Republicans have done about making healthcare more affordable is not a trick question requiring you to buy into some premise. Likewise for illegal immigration, job creation, and everything else I mentioned. If you can’t even attempt to answer for the Republicans on any of the issues I listed, then you shouldn’t be on these comment threads posting on their behalf and criticizing the Democrats.

The truth is that you can’t answer because my ORIGINAL premise, that the Republicans haven’t done anything that benefits the American people in a long time, is true. You can’t say what the Republicans have done to improve the US healthcare system because they haven’t done ANYTHING. You can’t say what the Republicans have done to help reduce poverty, address gun violence, create jobs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve education, advance renewable energy, raise taxes on millionaires, or anything else that the American people are wanting to see addressed because they haven’t done squat.

And I noticed that you failed to address the fact that Bush and the Republicans’ tax cuts did little except squander our budget surplus and create deficits. You failed to address the fact that Bush and the Republicans are the only ones in US history to be so utterly irresponsible as to give tax breaks while simultaneously taking us to war. The result? Record deficits. Surprised? No one else is. Because that’s what happens when you take the country to war and fail to pay for it by responsibly raising taxes. That’s why no other President or Congress has done it before. Duh!

This is why we can’t afford to allow the Republicans to run this country. They’re irresponsible. Conservatives want to help ALL Americans? Really? How? That was my original question. If you’re going to contend that the Republicans help ALL Americans, then you should be able to answer my questions about what they’ve done for Americans regarding all the major issues I mentioned. I know they passed the defense of marriage act. How did that help all Americans? They shut down the government, costing the economy $23 billion. How did that help all Americans? How did blowing a hole in the balanced budget that Clinton left Bush help all Americans? How did invading Iraq help all Americans? How did trying to repeal the ACA 50 times help all Americans? You just don’t have a defense because there is none. My original premise is accurate.

Mar 30, 2014 2:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sicoftea wrote:

I used to like this guy….but the way he and his cronies are treating and portraying Ms. Kelly is despicable. Once again, the GOP and their inner hatred and disrespect towards women!
Only woman reporters should interview Christie from now on to see if he continues to bully and talk down to the so called liberal media!

Mar 30, 2014 2:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamesChirico wrote:

The zoning waiver in Hoboken, tied to a Samson business related firm, the 3 1/2 million in Sandy funds for luxury housing Samson again. Ft. Lee had Helmsley try to develop without permission. The PA police telling motorists it was the Ft. Lee mayor’s fault. Christie may try to cry ignorance, have people paint Hoboken mayor Zimmerman as unstable, but the facts speak for themselves. Hoboken with more heavily damaged structures from Sandy got $180,000, Samson connected people over 20 times that amount. Zimmerman would take a lie detector test, would Christie cronies offer to do the same? Christie has seen this money go out, signed off on a good part of it, he is dirty in using his office to help political contributors while shafting the people that need help that did not play his game.

Mar 31, 2014 7:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.